Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:59 am
LeadBolt wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 am“If we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we shall find that we have lost the future. “ - Winston Churchill
Churchill is one of the biggest targets for the UK side of the movement.

Dude was a racist, imperialist, whose policies threw blacks and Arabs into the ghettos after WWII despite them being imported to rebuild the country with the promises of a better life.

Good luck Churchill memorials. :coffee:

He also saw the threat that fascism was and worked feverishly to defeat it. HE'S THE OF ANTIFA!? So...let's not let our emotions and feelings cloud our judgement.

Oh wait....

I can't wait for these purity fucks to start eating each other.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:06 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Churchill is one of the biggest targets for the UK side.

Dude was a racist, imperialist, whose policies threw blacks and Arabs into the ghettos after World War II.

You should love Churchill

He helped foment a war almost exclusively between white Westerners

The surge of political and cultural viability of cultures from former colonial states was facilitated by the fact that so many white people killed each other in WWII.

The woke brigades shouldn’t pull him down, they should put his face on their fuckin flag
This is gold, and a very rosy view of the situation.

Meanwhile back in Africa and the Middle East, the implications of imperialism (and post-WWII decisions) are still being felt today. And I guess Westerners like to forget that the North African and Middle East theaters existed.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BTW to make it clear, I don't really care either way about Churchill memorials...not my country...just pointing out his flaws and the fact that he's a big target in the UK movement right now.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:06 am You should love Churchill

The surge of political and cultural viability of cultures from former colonial states was facilitated by the fact that so many white people killed each other in WWII.

The woke brigades shouldn’t pull him down, they should put his face on their fuckin flag

Meanwhile back in Africa and the Middle East, the implications of imperialism (and post-WWII decisions) are still being felt today. And I guess Westerners like to forget that the North African and Middle East theaters existed.
North Africa has hardly been forgotten, Treep

Citizens of those beleaguered countries enjoy almost complete open immigration to the UK and France.

In fact, if you are North African ... as in Algerian, you pretty much have free French citizenship. India and Pakistan immigration to the UK is nearly as open

The Allied powers of WWII have kowtowed to their colonial legacies for 70 years now and will continue to do so. You might want to expand your history book collection a little bit... Guns Germs and Steel is no way to go through life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:22 am

These kids have a modern view of history without first having a fundamental understanding of history. And I include you in that b/c you've shown that you only know talking points. Everyone expresses a prejudice. These SJWs are no different. They are extremely prejudiced against white people (especially white men). So who the hell are they do tell us who we should and shouldn't hold up as an example of strength?

Do you even realize that Churchill fought against a state where protests weren't allowed and police brutality was the norm? He literally fought a war against the very thing these protesters are decrying. Look up what Churchill did in 1919 in response to the Amritsar massacre.

Why do our leaders have to be perfect? You're holding them up to these impossibly high standards. You seem to not understand WHY we have statues of great men like Churchill. We can admire and honor their contributions without having to subscribe to every ideology they espoused or believed it. It is possible to have admiration for someone that was an enlighten thinker, to make sure the public doesn't forget him and those beliefs and not support his views on slavery.

The man was not perfect and there are plenty of things he can be criticized for. He was a 19th/20th Century man who held common views of that time, there are aspects of what we define as Racism that W.C. would not have entertained. He wasn't anti-Semitic. He wouldn't have stoked the fires of these white supremacists. His imperialism is misinterpreted as racism and it's because the ignorant wrenches vandalizing him statue have no historical context or fundamental education/understanding of history.

If we shouldn't be honoring and looking up to a man that recognized one of the greatest threats in humanity and fought hard against it when it wasn't popular only to have his leadership save a country then who the hell deserves to be set as an example?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:27 am BTW to make it clear, I don't really care either way about Churchill memorials...not my country...just pointing out his flaws and the fact that he's a big target in the UK movement right now.
So his flaws mean we shouldn't look to his example and leadership? One of our greatest Presidents was flawed. Should we tear down the Lincoln memorial?

I suspect you will say yes.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Uh, wasn't Clement Atlee the PM of the UK at the end of WWII and was around for those post-WWII decisions? Did your classes in school ever get through WWII or are you just making stuff up? :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:50 am

These kids have a modern view of history without first having a fundamental understanding of history. And I include you in that b/c you've shown that you only know talking points. Everyone expresses a prejudice. These SJWs are no different. They are extremely prejudiced against white people (especially white men). So who the hell are they do tell us who we should and shouldn't hold up as an example of strength?

Do you even realize that Churchill fought against a state where protests weren't allowed and police brutality was the norm? He literally fought a war against the very thing these protesters are decrying. Look up what Churchill did in 1919 in response to the Amritsar massacre.

Why do our leaders have to be perfect? You're holding them up to these impossibly high standards. You seem to not understand WHY we have statues of great men like Churchill. We can admire and honor their contributions without having to subscribe to every ideology they espoused or believed it. It is possible to have admiration for someone that was an enlighten thinker, to make sure the public doesn't forget him and those beliefs and not support his views on slavery.

The man was not perfect and there are plenty of things he can be criticized for. He was a 19th/20th Century man who held common views of that time, there are aspects of what we define as Racism that W.C. would not have entertained. He wasn't anti-Semitic. He wouldn't have stoked the fires of these white supremacists. His imperialism is misinterpreted as racism and it's because the ignorant wrenches vandalizing him statue have no historical context or fundamental education/understanding of history.

If we shouldn't be honoring and looking up to a man that recognized one of the greatest threats in humanity and fought hard against it when it wasn't popular only to have his leadership save a country then who the hell deserves to be set as an example?
Agreed - Trip is the perfect example of people having only a cursory knowledge of history, and mainly just the highlights or the headlines, and then running pell-mell towards whatever preconceived notion he already had prior to that so that he has more ammo to throw into his own cursory spin on current events. He's basically using history for memes and Twitter-like headlines. Understanding context and nuance are not useful in those endeavors, and on the contrary, interfere with them. Pity.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I personally wouldn't tear down Churchill or Lincoln memorials; I understand all men are of their time - with flaws and sins - and those people meant something to the societies which erected the memorials. That said I wouldn't erect monuments of anyone, ever.

I'm a big opponent of the Great Man Theory which is why I don't have any issues with stuff going away, renamed, etc.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:29 am I personally wouldn't tear down Churchill or Lincoln memorials; I understand all men are of their time - with flaws and sins - and those people meant something to the societies which erected the memorials. That said I wouldn't erect monuments of anyone, ever.

I'm a big opponent of the Great Man Theory which is why I don't have any issues with stuff going away, renamed, etc.
What's your opinions about Hall of Fames? How about retired numbers?
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

When are we going after FDR? Some of his transgressions include internment of Japanese Americans, opposition to an anti-lynching bill, failure to recognize the Olympic achievements of Jesse Owens, and appointment of a KKKer to the Supreme Court.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:29 am When are we going after FDR? Some of his transgressions include internment of Japanese Americans, opposition to an anti-lynching bill, failure to recognize the Olympic achievements of Jesse Owens, and appointment of a KKKer to the Supreme Court.
Sure, pick on the cripple. :ohno:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:59 am
LeadBolt wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 am“If we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we shall find that we have lost the future. “ - Winston Churchill
Churchill is one of the biggest targets for the UK side of the movement.

Dude was a racist, imperialist, whose policies threw blacks and Arabs into the ghettos after WWII despite them being imported to rebuild the country with the promises of a better life.

Maybe this side of the movement should make FDR and Margaret Sanger their main targets. FDR was a racist of the highest order and threw Japanese Americans in concentration camps. All remaining remnants of the "New Deal" must be wiped from our history.

Margaret Sanger started Planned Parenthood with the sole intention of aborting every black and brown race out of existence. Every Planned Parenthood should be razed to the ground as if they never existed.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:25 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:29 am I personally wouldn't tear down Churchill or Lincoln memorials; I understand all men are of their time - with flaws and sins - and those people meant something to the societies which erected the memorials. That said I wouldn't erect monuments of anyone, ever.

What's your opinions about Hall of Fames? How about retired numbers?
I have no strong feelings towards a HoF or retiring numbers. Sports are just games so I wouldn't put the time and effort into honoring athletic achievements, but it really matters very little to me either way.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

But you support those that do? If we're going to stop honoring people, it has to be case by base. Every single leader we've had has said or done something that someone finds objectionable.

The Calhoun monument in Charleston is likely coming down (announcement at 3 today). I'm not one for white-washing history or tearing down our past but Calhoun is one guy we shouldn't be honoring. :twocents:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:49 am

But you support those that do? If we're going to stop honoring people, it has to be case by base. Every single leader we've had has said or done something that someone finds objectionable.

The Calhoun monument in Charleston is likely coming down (announcement at 3 today). I'm not one for white-washing history or tearing down our past but Calhoun is one guy we shouldn't be honoring. :twocents:
When a guy (Calhoun) can be so bad that he makes another potentially bad person (Andrew Jackson) look downright heroic by comparison, then you know the Calhoun guy was bad news. High Priest of the Confederacy indeed - he should be close to #1 on the cancel culture list.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:21 am

When a guy (Calhoun) can be so bad that he makes another potentially bad person (Andrew Jackson) look downright heroic by comparison, then you know the Calhoun guy was bad news. High Priest of the Confederacy indeed - he should be close to #1 on the cancel culture list.
It makes me wonder if Trip is still canvassing for the DNC. History and proven that the Donk Party was the party of the Confederacy, the party of the KKK, Jim Crow, etc.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Calhoun was a man of his time but he has no great contribution to America - nothing for which he should be memorialized for. The statue in Marion Square was put there by friends and not the city.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:50 am

Agreed - Trip is the perfect example of people having only a cursory knowledge of history, and mainly just the highlights or the headlines, and then running pell-mell towards whatever preconceived notion he already had prior to that so that he has more ammo to throw into his own cursory spin on current events. He's basically using history for memes and Twitter-like headlines. Understanding context and nuance are not useful in those endeavors, and on the contrary, interfere with them. Pity.
I can't stand people like that

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Baldy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:34 am

It makes me wonder if Trip is still canvassing for the DNC. History and proven that the Donk Party was the party of the Confederacy, the party of the KKK, Jim Crow, etc.
I probably won't canvas for or donate to the DNC this cycle as I don't support the (likely) national or Virginia candidates, although I'm sure any unused donations to Sanders during the Presidential primary will rollover into Biden's campaign.

The only way I'll canvas is if Zainab Mohsini beats Gerry Connolly in next week's primary and it would be specific to her.

I might canvas for the Green Party though.
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Baldy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:34 am It makes me wonder if Trip is still canvassing for the DNC. History and proven that the Donk Party was the party of the Confederacy, the party of the KKK, Jim Crow, etc.
I probably won't canvas for or donate to the DNC this cycle as I don't support the (likely) national or Virginia candidates, although I'm sure any unused donations to Sanders during the Presidential primary will rollover into Biden's campaign.

The only way I'll canvas is if Zainab Mohsini beats Gerry Connolly in next week's primary and it would be specific to her.

I really wish that VA could give Northern VA to DC and let Virginia be Virginia again.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

LeadBolt wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:33 am
∞∞∞ wrote:

I really wish that VA could give Northern VA to DC and let Virginia be Virginia again.

Yeah, give Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William, and Loudon counties and the city of Alexandria to DC (all voted 55%-75% Clinton). Make DC a state. Would = 2 more donk senate seats.
VA minus NOVA would make VA solid red again, would = 2 more conk senate seats.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:18 am
LeadBolt wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:33 am

Yeah, give Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William, and Loudon counties and the city of Alexandria to DC (all voted 55%-75% Clinton). Make DC a state. Would = 2 more donk senate seats.
VA minus NOVA would make VA solid red again, would = 2 more conk senate seats.
I would respect any decision by the rest of Virginia to leave and join another state, or create their own state.

I would not respect any decision to somehow "give" Northern Virginians away.

There's an important difference between leaving on your own accord and making someone leave.

Northern Virginia would stay Virginia, and you can be New Virginia or something.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:23 am
Baldy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:34 am

I hope your candidate wins. I'll get an evil little giggle knowing you're out there canvassing for the party of the Klan and Jim Crow.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:52 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:27 am BTW to make it clear, I don't really care either way about Churchill memorials...not my country...just pointing out his flaws and the fact that he's a big target in the UK movement right now.
So his flaws mean we shouldn't look to his example and leadership? One of our greatest Presidents was flawed. Should we tear down the Lincoln memorial?

I suspect you will say yes.
First, we should shoot Lincoln. THEN, tear down the monument. :coffee: