Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:10 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:38 pm

Similar concerns arise on a state by state basis for other reasons. Thanks for the Gil compliment. I like that guy.
If you think the Democrats won’t push for a 50-State mail-in option (in fact, they already are) and won’t complain if their effort is refused, you’re smoking a piss-poor brand of weed. It’s reflected in the brouhaha over USPS funding. But you know that, because you’re a smart guy.
Maybe he's been hitting Mrs Kalm's weed again.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:43 am I honestly think you have a comprehension problem. Read what I wrote. If you don't understand what I'm saying, too bad for you. I'm not going to repeat myself constantly for the slow ones here.
I understand what you wrote, I just disagree. We have a couple of months to get vote by mail correct. That’s the right thing to do in light of the pandemic. This is just politics and shoukd be called out for it.
Here we go again

Expecting competence from a government agency that has displayed none in the last 50 years

One of the last bipartisan agreements in this country... that the USPS sucks .... only Donald Trump could change so many minds so quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:20 pm
kalm wrote:
I understand what you wrote, I just disagree. We have a couple of months to get vote by mail correct. That’s the right thing to do in light of the pandemic. This is just politics and shoukd be called out for it.
Here we go again

Expecting competence from a government agency that has displayed none in the last 50 years

One of the last bipartisan agreements in this country... that the USPS sucks .... only Donald Trump could change so many minds so quickly

It tops the nation - year after year - as the most favorable agency in all of government...by Democrats, Republicans, and Independents.

It's one of the last bipartisan agreements in the country for the complete opposite reason you listed.

From before Trump's recent attacks:

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 ... c-and-hhs/

https://www.barrons.com/articles/one-gr ... 1588368113

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nationa ... agency.htm

No one's changed their mind on anything (except maybe more Republicans now hating it). USPS is generally loved by the nation and it's financial situation was completely manufactured by Congress.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:20 pm Here we go again

It tops the nation - year after year - as the most favorable agency in all of government...by Democrats, Republicans, and Independents.

It's one of the last bipartisan agreements in the country for the complete opposite reason you listed.

No one's changed their mind on anything (except maybe more Republicans now hating it). USPS is generally loved by the nation and it's financial situation was completely manufactured by Congress.
Well stacked up against other government services, sure ... the USPS is grrreat! BTW I agree that their money problems were created by Congress

But expecting the USPS to be able to handle the two-way paper that a national election would produce is a very long stretch - even in limited states.

Why not just go to online voting? You go to a website, log in, and vote in the US elections? Why haven’t you techie liberals thought of that one yet? (This is a trap BTW)

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:51 pm
∞∞∞ wrote:

Well stacked up against other government services, sure ... the USPS is grrreat! BTW I agree that their money problems were created by Congress

But expecting the USPS to be able to handle the two-way paper that a national election would produce is a very long stretch - even in limited states.

Why not just go to online voting? You go to a website, log in, and vote in the US elections? Why haven’t you techie liberals thought of that one yet? (This is a trap BTW)

Hasn't Ibanez already made a case for online voting?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:16 am
canyoncat wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:38 am Haven't read the whole thread, but I do not think the USPS can come close to handling this. 200+ million ballots sent out and then sent back?
For the thousandth time, we are not going to have national mail-in ballots in November. A handful of states are. Some states have been doing it for some time.
This one suits you well, reek:

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Interesting strategy...

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:36 pm Interesting strategy...

Well can you imagine him standing up there and trying to answer questions?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:13 pm

Personally, I like the "sit here and pretend to sign documents even though we have no authority" touch. :lol:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:34 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:55 pmIntentionally sabotaging the USPS to improve his chances of reelection is despicable and I wouldn't put it past Trump.
He admitted it.
President Donald Trump frankly acknowledged Thursday that he’s starving the U.S. Postal Service of money in order to make it harder to process an expected surge of mail-in ballots, which he worries could cost him the election.

In an interview on Fox Business Network, Trump explicitly noted two funding provisions that Democrats are seeking in a relief package that has stalled on Capitol Hill. Without the additional money, he said, the Postal Service won’t have the resources to handle a flood of ballots from voters who are seeking to avoid polling places during the coronavirus pandemic.
https://apnews.com/14a2ceda724623604cc8d8e5ab9890ed
How exactly is Trump holding money out of Democrat's negotiations, and isn't the post office already budgeted for the year?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:13 pm

Biden does fine answering questions. Not that he never screws up. Everybody does. But he's obviously not suffering from cognitive issues. I think the right trying to foster the narrative that there is something is wrong with him cognitively is setting itself up for failure in that regard because as the situation ramps up over these last few months people are going to see him answering questions, etc., and are going to see that the people trying to promote that narrative have been lying to them.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:19 pm
Not even close. Trump clearly IS gumming up the post office and there is reasonable basis for thinking that he's doing it to impact the election. There is polling suggesting that Democrats are far more likely to vote by mail this time than Republicans are. Trump is not even being coy about it.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Kamala bump?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:Image

My wife just asked me why I was snickering so hard
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

So when Kamala signs the executive order for slavery reparations, does she pay money to herself?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I really, really hope y'all realize there's a reason so many black people can trace their lineage to slave owners.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:27 pm I really, really hope y'all realize there's a reason so many black people can trace their lineage to slave owners.
Sins of the father's father father father father father... :lol:

Let me know the day when black folk start demanding reparations from African countries for being the ones who actually sold their ancestors into slavery. That's gonna be must see TV. :coffee:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Knock Harris for other stuff, but it sounds dumb when people make fun of a black person's lineage having included slave owners.

Rape against slaves was so prevalent that it's the exception when a black person doesn't have ancestry marked by white genealogy. It's like asking a black person why their last name sounds European.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Not a bad one either - let Trump have all the attention he desperately craves and keep him talking :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Pwns wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:26 pm So when Kamala signs the executive order for slavery reparations, does she pay money to herself?
I'd do it like the golfing, run it through a company first. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Here's an idea.

Why don't the Republican controlled legislatures in the red states just rescind the popular vote to choose the electors for the Electoral College, and exercise their constitutional right to select the electors to the Electoral College directly.

They have more than 270 electoral votes. :coffee:

Mail-in issues resolved. :shock:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:03 pm
Ibanez wrote:Image

My wife just asked me why I was snickering so hard
If you're like me, you read that with your best Chris Farley voice. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:36 am Knock Harris for other stuff, but it sounds dumb when people make fun of a black person's lineage having included slave owners.

Rape against slaves was so prevalent that it's the exception when a black person doesn't have ancestry marked by white genealogy. It's like asking a black person why their last name sounds European.
Prevalent yes, but not every black girl was raped and bearing mulattoes.
Blacks typically took the name of their owner or the plantation (sometimes they were one in the same like Drayton). That's why I can count more blacks than whites in Charleston named Middleton, Drayton, Rutledge, Pinckney, etc... That's why the Drayton family reunion every year is overwhelmingly black. It's not JUST because masters had their ways with some of the women. It's because the men adopted the names as well.

:twocents: :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Pwns wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:26 pm So when Kamala signs the executive order for slavery reparations, does she pay money to herself?
Genealogy sites are going to be booming if this were to happen. Should have stuck with the original plan of 40 acres and a mule back in 1865.