Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:21 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:47 am
I’ve had a couple voicemails on my landline this summer from public polling firms. Didn’t say what were polling. Blocked the #s. I never answer that phone and block any unrecognized numbers.

Same with cell phones if they don’t leave a voicemail/are spam. It seems to me they are polling whoever they can get willing to answer unrecognizable #s and be willing to be polled. Can’t be that accurate.
Also to get, for example, 500 res ponders they know that have to call 3000 people. It's casting a wide net. Something about statistics.....i dunno

I was called by a pollster 2 weeks ago. Answered every question honestly and it was only 5 minutes of my life. Not a big deal.
Its not that. If everyone either ignored or lied (politely is fine) to pollsters, then we wouldn’t have polls. You’d just find out on election day. Would that be a bad thing?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Also to get, for example, 500 res ponders they know that have to call 3000 people. It's casting a wide net. Something about statistics.....i dunno

I was called by a pollster 2 weeks ago. Answered every question honestly and it was only 5 minutes of my life. Not a big deal.
Its not that. If everyone either ignored or lied (politely is fine) to pollsters, then we wouldn’t have polls. You’d just find out on election day. Would that be a bad thing?
As long as there's money in campaigns, there will be polls.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

I have to say that a Biden presidency would be a freakin' hoot. :lol:

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Why lie? Are you not firm in your convictions? Ignoring I understand. But answering then intentionally lying? Sounds petty to me.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:56 am
Why lie? Are you not firm in your convictions? Ignoring I understand. But answering then intentionally lying? Sounds petty to me.
To get rid of polls. I was speaking in a hypothetical- If enough people lied, there would be no polling.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:59 am

To get rid of polls. I was speaking in a hypothetical- If enough people lied, there would be no polling.
You really hate polls that much, eh?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:05 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:59 am
Don‘t even get me started on pre season and early season polls..
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:13 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:05 am

Don‘t even get me started on pre season and early season polls..
I get you on that. :lol: :lol:

I suspect this is who called me weeks ago. IIRC, the questions in the link were the exact questions I was asked. This poll is getting a lot of play in South Carolina.
Republican incumbent Senator Lindsey Graham and Democratic challenger Jaime Harrison are locked in a dead heat in the race for U.S. Senate, 48 - 48 percent, according to a Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pea-ack) University poll of likely voters, which was conducted prior to the presidential debate. This is unchanged from a September 16th survey, which also showed both candidates each getting 48 percent support.
2020 PRESIDENTIAL RACE

In this pre-debate poll, President Trump receives 48 percent support among likely voters, while former Vice President Joe Biden receives 47 percent support. This compares to a September 16th poll when Trump had 51 percent to Biden's 45 percent, a change which is not statistically significant.

Both candidates receive similar favorability ratings as likely voters are roughly divided on both. Forty- nine percent of likely voters give Biden an unfavorable rating, while 46 percent say favorable. Trump gets an evenly split 48 - 48 percent favorability rating.

Likely voters are also divided on who would do a better job handling two issues that have emerged in the wake of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death: Supreme Court nominations and health care.

On who would do a better job handling Supreme Court nominations, 50 percent say Trump and 47 percent say Biden.

On who would do a better job handling health care, 48 percent say Biden and 47 percent say Trump.
https://poll.qu.edu/south-carolina/rele ... aseID=3677

Ads are going up all over the place saying SC is in play and could flip. :lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

is this true?

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:06 am is this true?
Without doing the research on all of them, I can tell you Connie Morella hasn't been in office since the early 2000's so.... :suspicious: :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:09 am
Without doing the research on all of them, I can tell you Connie Morella hasn't been in office since the early 2000's so.... :suspicious: :coffee:
Humprey retired 1990. Gill just posted a list of 27 that besides Flake retired over the last 3 decades. In that time there‘s probably been 1,000+ Republicans in Congress..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Humphrey retired 1990. Gill just posted a list of 27 that besides Flake retired over the last 3 decades. In that time there‘s probably been 1,000+ Republicans in Congress..
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

It's accurate but to be forthright it should note that these are all former members of Congress.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/27-re ... rse-biden/

One of them left Congress in 1977. :roll:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Probably. But it's nothing new. Flake already announced this. As has Dent and Inglis
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Inglis was unseated about 10 years ago, IIRC.

But, the point of the list is to show to Republicans that there are other members of the GOP that are willing to publicly stand up against Trump and vote against him.

Of course, if newspaper, celebrity, former politician endorsement never sway you then you aren't going to care about this list. I don't care about this list. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:37 am

Humphrey retired 1990. Gill just posted a list of 27 that besides Flake retired over the last 3 decades. In that time there‘s probably been 1,000+ Republicans in Congress..
Retired and lost their elections.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:51 am

Inglis was unseated about 10 years ago, IIRC.

But, the point of the list is to show to Republicans that there are other members of the GOP that are willing to publicly stand up against Trump and vote against him.

Of course, if newspaper, celebrity, former politician endorsement never sway you then you aren't going to care about this list. I don't care about this list. :lol:
:nod:

Just for fun, we need a list of sober Republicans who actually support Trump.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:37 am

It's accurate but to be forthright it should note that these are all former members of Congress.

Makes sense if you have nothing to lose, as far as an elected office.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Bradenton voter tried to get mail-in ballot for dead wife ‘to test the system,’ cops say
A 62-year-old Bradenton man who says he wanted to “test the system” has been arrested on a voter fraud charge after he tried to obtain a mail-in ballot for his late wife, according to the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office.

The election supervisor’s office contacted the sheriff’s office Sept. 17, after receiving a mail-ballot request in the name of a woman who has been dead for about two years.

Supervisor of Elections Mike Bennett said his staff reviews the voter rolls for each mail-in ballot request and it was discovered the woman was deceased. They then determined that Larry Wiggins forged his late wife’s name on the ballot request.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:04 am
HI54UNI wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:37 am

Makes sense if you have nothing to lose, as far as an elected office.
Yep. Politicians have so much courage and conviction.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

:lol:

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Baldy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:28 am Bradenton voter tried to get mail-in ballot for dead wife ‘to test the system,’ cops say
A 62-year-old Bradenton man who says he wanted to “test the system” has been arrested on a voter fraud charge after he tried to obtain a mail-in ballot for his late wife, according to the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office.

The election supervisor’s office contacted the sheriff’s office Sept. 17, after receiving a mail-ballot request in the name of a woman who has been dead for about two years.

Supervisor of Elections Mike Bennett said his staff reviews the voter rolls for each mail-in ballot request and it was discovered the woman was deceased. They then determined that Larry Wiggins forged his late wife’s name on the ballot request.
So in that area, the system worked to prevent voter fraud. That's good news. :clap:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I can only tell you of the issues one experiences out here in the Seattle area when you identify with Trump.

My son games with a Russian kid and he was labeled "Trump Russia Fucker" by the kids in his 6th grade class.

If kids are already hyperpartisan at 6th grade, what do you expect from the parents.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:08 pm

I can only tell you of the issues one experiences out here in the Seattle area when you identify with Trump.

My son games with a Russian kid and he was labeled "Trump Russia Fucker" by the kids in his 6th grade class.

If kids are already hyperpartisan at 6th grade, what do you expect from the parents.
I can't imagine that's very different versus anywhere - publicly, you either are a dye-in-the-wool Trumpster or you hate him with every fiber in your body because he is the most evil thing in the world. There's really no middle ground - people in the middle are accused of facilitating the rise of either side of that equation. In my life, it's never been anywhere close to this level of insanity. Regardless of the electoral outcome it will be fascinating to see the next steps - if Trump wins, does he go off the deep end, drunk in power or does the ctrl-left continue this march to anarchy/all out revolt? And if Trump loses, do the Trumpkins load up and start talking secession or does the left actually come back to their senses and not assume anything Trump-related is the end of the world? I'm worried that journalism has gone too far to come back at this point - how can anyone ever take CNN seriously again for instance? Strange times.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation