Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:39 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:28 am

It's going to get worse. The reaction of the left to losing control of Congress is not going to be pretty. And the delicious irony of Kalm trying to explain how January 6 was worse is going to tickle our funny bones.

89 and Ganny, I'm predicting the future again.
Not much predicting, it would be an absolute shock for the Dems to retain control of Congress at this point. And it would be an absolute shock if Dems don't challenge those results, and in some cases do so violently.
Nope. Pretty much a slam dunk and after the promises they made to their constituents, it is going to be very messy.

Looking past the 2020 elections, their actions (and reactions) are going to setting the tone for the party down the road. (Exactly like it has been for the R's).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:48 am

Not much predicting, it would be an absolute shock for the Dems to retain control of Congress at this point. And it would be an absolute shock if Dems don't challenge those results, and in some cases do so violently.
Nope. Pretty much a slam dunk and after the promises they made to their constituents, it is going to be very messy.

Looking past the 2020 elections, their actions (and reactions) are going to setting the tone for the party down the road. (Exactly like it has been for the R's).
We've been one-upping established norms and behaviors towards elections that don't go our way since 2000.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:28 am

It's going to get worse. The reaction of the left to losing control of Congress is not going to be pretty. And the delicious irony of Kalm trying to explain how January 6 was worse is going to tickle our funny bones.

89 and Ganny, I'm predicting the future again.
It will be " Stop the Steal: Blue Edition" for sure. The loud mouths and so called "progressives" can't fathom that there are more people like them. They'll call it a return to the 3rd Reich and any other asinine, hyperbolic analogies they can make. :twocents:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:39 am Not much predicting, it would be an absolute shock for the Dems to retain control of Congress at this point. And it would be an absolute shock if Dems don't challenge those results, and in some cases do so violently.
It will be " Stop the Steal: Blue Edition" for sure. The loud mouths and so called "progressives" can't fathom that there are more people like them. They'll call it a return to the 3rd Reich and any other asinine, hyperbolic analogies they can make. :twocents:
It used to be Dems all across the board that had the attitude that they could never lose on policy .. only if the other side cheats. They are still uniformly that way.

MAGA adopted that same playbook which is why they need to be squashed right along with the Dems.

The best way to do that is to run the way Youngkin did in Virginia. Don’t pander to MAGA but appeal to them on common policy concerns. Don’t be a rhetorical bomb thrower and don’t respond to the same (the way Nancy Mace does). Act like an adult, be a fiscal conservative, and even moderate Dems will vote for that candidate given their bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:48 am

I think there’s some truth here. The left might hate the establishment Dems as much as they hate the R’s. Both parties appear to be in a state of civil war.

I also bet quality throwing rock and Molotov bottle sales will be through the roof! ;)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 am
Ibanez wrote: It will be " Stop the Steal: Blue Edition" for sure. The loud mouths and so called "progressives" can't fathom that there are more people like them. They'll call it a return to the 3rd Reich and any other asinine, hyperbolic analogies they can make. :twocents:
It used to be Dems all across the board that had the attitude that they could never lose on policy .. only if the other side cheats. They are still uniformly that way.

MAGA adopted that same playbook which is why they need to be squashed right along with the Dems.

The best way to do that is to run the way Youngkin did in Virginia. Don’t pander to MAGA but appeal to them on common policy concerns. Don’t be a rhetorical bomb thrower and don’t respond to the same (the way Nancy Mace does). Act like an adult, be a fiscal conservative, and even moderate Dems will vote for that candidate given their bench.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 am
Ibanez wrote: It will be " Stop the Steal: Blue Edition" for sure. The loud mouths and so called "progressives" can't fathom that there are more people like them. They'll call it a return to the 3rd Reich and any other asinine, hyperbolic analogies they can make. :twocents:

I couldn't not agree more. At the risk of being a "flip-flopper," it's those inherent traits of self-righteousness and their loudest, most ardent supporters in the 2 parties which has made me so cynical of them.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Interesting Op/Ed. How realistic is this scenario?
Paul D. Eaton is a retired U.S. Army major general and a senior adviser to VoteVets. Antonio M. Taguba is a retired Army major general, with 34 years of active duty service. Steven M. Anderson is a retired brigadier general who served in the U.S. Army for 31 years.

“As we approach the first anniversary of the deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, we — all of us former senior military officials — are increasingly concerned about the aftermath of the 2024 presidential election and the potential for lethal chaos inside our military, which would put all Americans at severe risk.
In short: We are chilled to our bones at the thought of a coup succeeding next time.

The potential for a total breakdown of the chain of command along partisan lines — from the top of the chain to squad level — is significant should another insurrection occur. The idea of rogue units organizing among themselves to support the “rightful” commander in chief cannot be dismissed.

Early on Jan. 6, The Post's Kate Woodsome saw signs of violence hours before thousands of President Trump's loyalists besieged the Capitol. (Joy Yi, Kate Woodsome/The Washington Post)
Imagine competing commanders in chief — a newly reelected Biden giving orders, versus Trump (or another Trumpian figure) issuing orders as the head of a shadow government. Worse, imagine politicians at the state and federal levels illegally installing a losing candidate as president.

All service members take an oath to protect the U.S. Constitution. But in a contested election, with loyalties split, some might follow orders from the rightful commander in chief, while others might follow the Trumpian loser. Arms might not be secured depending on who was overseeing them. Under such a scenario, it is not outlandish to say a military breakdown could lead to civil war.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -military/
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:22 am Interesting Op/Ed. How realistic is this scenario?
Paul D. Eaton is a retired U.S. Army major general and a senior adviser to VoteVets. Antonio M. Taguba is a retired Army major general, with 34 years of active duty service. Steven M. Anderson is a retired brigadier general who served in the U.S. Army for 31 years.

“As we approach the first anniversary of the deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, we — all of us former senior military officials — are increasingly concerned about the aftermath of the 2024 presidential election and the potential for lethal chaos inside our military, which would put all Americans at severe risk.
In short: We are chilled to our bones at the thought of a coup succeeding next time.

The potential for a total breakdown of the chain of command along partisan lines — from the top of the chain to squad level — is significant should another insurrection occur. The idea of rogue units organizing among themselves to support the “rightful” commander in chief cannot be dismissed.

Early on Jan. 6, The Post's Kate Woodsome saw signs of violence hours before thousands of President Trump's loyalists besieged the Capitol. (Joy Yi, Kate Woodsome/The Washington Post)
Imagine competing commanders in chief — a newly reelected Biden giving orders, versus Trump (or another Trumpian figure) issuing orders as the head of a shadow government. Worse, imagine politicians at the state and federal levels illegally installing a losing candidate as president.

All service members take an oath to protect the U.S. Constitution. But in a contested election, with loyalties split, some might follow orders from the rightful commander in chief, while others might follow the Trumpian loser. Arms might not be secured depending on who was overseeing them. Under such a scenario, it is not outlandish to say a military breakdown could lead to civil war.”
Nice troll piece as we approach the anniversary of the January 6 police action. VoteVets is a self-described “progressive veterans’ rights organization.” To answer your question, not very. The doomsday scenario framed by this screed could have happened this year, but didn’t. The chain of command held.

Do better, Klam.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:22 am Interesting Op/Ed. How realistic is this scenario?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"deadly insurrection".

I stopped reading right there. Fuckin' moveon.org hit piece. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:30 am

"deadly insurrection".

I stopped reading right there. Fuckin' moveon.org hit piece. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
Kalm's humor has drastically improved lately. More and more of his posts are just straight up funny. :nod:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:Interesting Op/Ed. How realistic is this scenario?

It can totally happen

They didn’t pull out all the stops last time… they just sent the QAnon Shaman to wrest the Gavel of Power from the Bitch Queen of the West.

Next time if they send T’Vorious the QAnon Unicorn, we’ll be fucked

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:12 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:30 am

"deadly insurrection".

Kalm's humor has drastically improved lately. More and more of his posts are just straight up funny. :nod:
When you have a retired general/nat sec advisor calling for martial law, all the Meadows texts and emails, and 3 retired generals opining in this manner I think it’s to look with at least one hairy eyeball.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:54 am

When you have a retired general/nat sec advisor calling for martial law, all the Meadows texts and emails, and 3 retired generals opining in this manner I think it’s to look with at least one hairy eyeball.
You mean "three retired generals" who survived the Obama purge....

Gee, wonder why they survived the Obama purge? I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count.

Of COURSE they're going to look at it that way. They're the "Karens" of the military, FFS.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

You look and I will roll my eyes.

When somebody is actually charged with insurrection, I will start paying attention.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Not realistic in any shape or form. We weren't anywhere close to a real coup the last time and we're not about to have a real coup any time soon. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:02 am

Gee, wonder why they survived the Obama purge? I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count.

Of COURSE they're going to look at it that way. They're the "Karens" of the military, FFS.
Then there’s Liz Cheney….
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

3? So what? There’s probably 3 thousand retired 1 to 4 star.s. The below states 900 active duty alone. 4-5 times as many generals per troops compared to WWII.
https://ndupress.ndu.edu/Publications/A ... 6%2C000%29.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:53 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:02 am

Then there’s Liz Cheney….
What about her?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

On the topic of too many generals:
(2013)
the Pentagon still has 37 four-star general and flag officers, or G/FOs, on its payroll, which is more four-stars than served during World War II – when the military had nearly 10 times as many enlisted personnel.
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/wo ... es%20money.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:12 pm

3? So what? There’s probably 3 thousand retired 1 to 4 star.s. The below states 900 active duty alone. 4-5 times as many generals per troops compared to WWII.
And? I didn’t expect all to agree or even be asked their opinion. There’s reasons why they wouldn’t. Do you think these are the only 3?

How about the open letter signed by the 10 secretaries of defense including Mattis and Cheney after the election?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:22 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:12 pm
And? I didn’t expect all to agree or even be asked their opinion. There’s reasons why they wouldn’t. Do you think these are the only 3?

How about the open letter signed by the 10 secretaries of defense including Mattis and Cheney after the election?
The 10 secretaries signed a letter calling 1/6 ‘a deadly insurrection’ and said they’re worried about a civil war?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

How are things going for Cyber Ninjas? :coffee:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

About as well as the "Kraken" lawsuit
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Well, look who crawled out from under a rock!
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.