Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:38 pm
LeadBolt wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:19 pm
Exactly. Trump’s waning relevance is extremely troubling to the left, which has no accomplishments of their own to offer voters. Without TDS and with Biden, they are a sinking ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is the favorite to be the Republican nominee for President in 2024. Surely y'all must realize that.

https://www.newsweek.com/most-republica ... ll-1664430

BTW, the infrastructure bill being passed was actually a pretty darned big accomplishment; particularly in this partisan atmosphere. Being able to get enough Republicans to get on board to do it was kind of remarkable.
Pass a bill loaded with pork is a big accomplishment?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Remember all of the "Infrastructure Weeks" from the Trump administration with nothing to show for it? :lol:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:26 pm

He is the favorite to be the Republican nominee for President in 2024. Surely y'all must realize that.

BTW, the infrastructure bill being passed was actually a pretty darned big accomplishment; particularly in this partisan atmosphere. Being able to get enough Republicans to get on board to do it was kind of remarkable.
Not going to defend anything mentioned here, but your counter point is ridiculous.

I'll give you $100 if you can find a bill that, didn't have a ton of pork in it, that was passed in the last 20 years. I'll even show up in person, and give you an hour to draw a crowd to watch me give it to you.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:09 pm

The fact they would back him does not in and of itself make him the favorite.

I will support him if he’s the candidate, but I do not WANT him to be the candidate and will not vote for him in any primary.
This.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:41 pm Remember all of the "Infrastructure Weeks" from the Trump administration with nothing to show for it? :lol:
You probably believe all that anti-Russian propaganda being spewed to gin up a war in Ukraine, eh?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

bobbythekidd wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:21 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:26 pm
Not going to defend anything mentioned here, but your counter point is ridiculous.

I'll give you $100 if you can find a bill that, didn't have a ton of pork in it, that was passed in the last 20 years. I'll even show up in person, and give you an hour to draw a crowd to watch me give it to you.
Passing a pork laden bill isn’t a big accomplishment, including any that Congress has passed in the past.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:25 am
bobbythekidd wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:21 pm

Passing a pork laden bill isn’t a big accomplishment, including any that Congress has passed in the past.
I think the point Bobby was making was that pork is in every bill, even those big accomplishment bills from Trumps administration. So...are you saying that legislation Trump signed was NOT a big accomplishment due to the inclusion of earmarks?

From the 2019 Congressional Pig Book
For the second year in a row, members of Congress have set records for the cost and number of earmarks during the supposed earmark moratorium.

Citizens Against Government Waste’s (CAGW) 2019 Congressional Pig Book exposes 282 earmarks, an increase of 21.6 percent from the 232 in fiscal year (FY) 2018. The cost of earmarks in FY 2019 is $15.3 billion, an increase of 4.1 percent from the $14.7 billion in FY 2018. Since FY 1991, CAGW has identified 111,144 earmarks costing $359.8 billion.

While the increase in the cost and number of earmarks from FY 2018 is significant, it pales in comparison to the growth since FY 2017. The $15.3 billion in FY 2019 is an increase of 125 percent from the $6.8 billion in FY 2017, and the 282 earmarks in FY 2019 is an increase of 73 percent from the 163 in FY 2017.

The primary cause of this upsurge in earmarks was the February 8, 2018 passage of the Bipartisan Budget Act (BBA),
which obliterated the spending restraints imposed by the 2011 Budget Control Act (BCA) and paved the way for a 13.4 percent increase in spending in FYs 2018 and 2019. The cost and number of earmarks in each these two years therefore went up by far more than the overall increase in spending.
https://www.cagw.org/reporting/2019-pig-book

Before you go attacking it w/o reading the linked page, I'd point out that it calls out the biggest offenders and in some cases that Trump tried to (as he should have) eliminate some programs.
Last edited by Ibanez on Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:26 am
I think the point Bobby was making was that pork is in every bill, even those big accomplishment bills from Trumps administration. So...are you saying that legislation Trump signed was NOT a big accomplishment due to the inclusion of earmarks?

For the second year in a row, members of Congress have set records for the cost and number of earmarks during the supposed earmark moratorium.

Citizens Against Government Waste’s (CAGW) 2019 Congressional Pig Book exposes 282 earmarks, an increase of 21.6 percent from the 232 in fiscal year (FY) 2018. The cost of earmarks in FY 2019 is $15.3 billion, an increase of 4.1 percent from the $14.7 billion in FY 2018. Since FY 1991, CAGW has identified 111,144 earmarks costing $359.8 billion.

While the increase in the cost and number of earmarks from FY 2018 is significant, it pales in comparison to the growth since FY 2017. The $15.3 billion in FY 2019 is an increase of 125 percent from the $6.8 billion in FY 2017, and the 282 earmarks in FY 2019 is an increase of 73 percent from the 163 in FY 2017.

The primary cause of this upsurge in earmarks was the February 8, 2018 passage of the Bipartisan Budget Act (BBA),
which obliterated the spending restraints imposed by the 2011 Budget Control Act (BCA) and paved the way for a 13.4 percent increase in spending in FYs 2018 and 2019. The cost and number of earmarks in each these two years therefore went up by far more than the overall increase in spending.
Fucking swampers. They JUST can’t help themselves.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:31 am

Read it....we've spent nearly $20M in 30 years to eradicate brown snakes on Guam. GUAM! 212 sq mi island and we can't go inch by inch in 30 years and kill those things? If it's a problem, let's take care of it but make it its own bill and not part of defense spending (or whatever)
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:35 am

Read it....we've spent nearly $20M in 30 years to eradicate brown snakes on Guam. GUAM! 212 sq mi island and we can't go inch by inch in 30 years and kill those things? If it's a problem, let's take care of it but make it its own bill and not part of defense spending (or whatever)
Somebody is getting a nice kickback.

I have yet to be convinced that it is not all a legal money laundering scheme where our tax dollars are the payments.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:41 pm Remember all of the "Infrastructure Weeks" from the Trump administration with nothing to show for it? :lol:
He said last week he could have built the wall in a couple weeks if he had been allowed to. :-P
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Newt thinks there’s a good chance that Jan. 6th committee will be going to jail once the Republicans take over Congress this fall.
“All these people who have been so tough and so mean and so nasty are going to be delivered subpoenas for every document, every conversation, every tweet, every email because I think it’s clear that these are people who have just been running over the law pursuing innocent people, causing them to spend thousands and thousands of dollars in legal fees for no justification,” he added.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... bGGRUkDFAA
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:55 am Newt thinks there’s a good chance that Jan. 6th committee will be going to jail once the Republicans take over Congress this fall.
“All these people who have been so tough and so mean and so nasty are going to be delivered subpoenas for every document, every conversation, every tweet, every email because I think it’s clear that these are people who have just been running over the law pursuing innocent people, causing them to spend thousands and thousands of dollars in legal fees for no justification,” he added.
We're kind entering Roman times here - political parties desperate to either take power or retain power so that they can protect themselves from investigation/prosecution while at the same time investigating/prosecuting their political opponents. And yes, this is a bipartisan effort. Congress has pretty much abdicated doing anything else, so this is how they bide their time/justify their office these days.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:55 am Newt thinks there’s a good chance that Jan. 6th committee will be going to jail once the Republicans take over Congress this fall.
We're kind entering Roman times here - political parties desperate to either take power or retain power so that they can protect themselves from investigation/prosecution while at the same time investigating/prosecuting their political opponents. And yes, this is a bipartisan effort. Congress has pretty much abdicated doing anything else, so this is how they bide their time/justify their office these days.
We are basically becoming Nigeria, where successive elected officials have their predecessors charged with crimes related to corruption, who then flee to the flats they purchased in London. Rinse, repeat.

That said, Gingrich knows better - there’s nothing these congresscritters can be charged with since what they are doing is highly privileged and protected. I can only assume he said it because he was on FOX and he knows Voldemort is watching. Too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Before you go attacking it w/o reading the linked page, I'd point out that it calls out the biggest offenders and in some cases that Trump tried to (as he should have) eliminate some programs.
If it was loaded with pork like the so called infracstructure bill it wasn’t. And when I say ‘loaded’ or ‘pork laden’ I’m not talking a small fraction of the bill, I’m talking a significant portion of it.
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa ... l-n2593756
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

We’ve allegedly spent $70 BILLION to eradicate poverty in this country. How’s that going?
Or the $100 BILLION spent on eradicating drugs?
Or the $75 BILLION eliminating racism?

Yeah, money solves everything. OUR money.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:53 pm

If it was loaded with pork like the so called infracstructure bill it wasn’t. And when I say ‘loaded’ or ‘pork laden’ I’m not talking a small fraction of the bill, I’m talking a significant portion of it.
That's where we differ. A bill about X should only be about X. Not X and 2 un-related items.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:33 pm
We’ve allegedly spent $70 BILLION to eradicate poverty in this country. How’s that going?

You're preaching to choir, Tom. Our poverty/drug policy is outdated, ineffective and inefficient and has been ever since they began. :twocents:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

The Justice Department has confirmed that it is investigating post-2020 election efforts to send fake Electoral College certificates to Washington as a way to further President Donald Trump's efforts to overturn the election by declaring him the winner of some key states that he lost.

"We've received those referrals. Our prosecutors are looking at those and I can't say anything more on ongoing investigations," Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco told CNN.

This is the first time the DOJ has commented on requests from lawmakers and other officials to probe the fake certificate effort, CNN reported. Based on public statements at the time, the effort appeared aimed at derailing Congress' work counting and certifying legitimate Electoral College results.

American Oversight, a watchdog group, has said it obtained copies of seven fake certificates that would have declared Trump the winner of Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, New Mexico, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Former Trump campaign officials previously told The Washington Post that Rudy Giuliani oversaw the effort to send these certificates.

Like the legitimate certificates, the bogus ones were also sent to the National Archives. The archives act as a middle-man, collecting all the certificates before Congress formally accepts them and then counts the vote. This traditionally perfunctory action was set to occur on January 6, 2021, when the insurrection derailed the counting process for hours before lawmakers returned late that night to finish their job.

If prosecutors find that the false certificates were created with the intent of undermining the election results, those who participated in the effort could be charged with falsifying voting documents, mail fraud, or potentially a conspiracy to defraud the US, The New York Times reported.

As The Post points out, many of these efforts were previously known and done rather publicly. Republicans in six states sent these certificates to Washington with the hope that a future court challenge would throw out President Joe Biden's respective victories.
https://www.businessinsider.com/fake-el ... 020-2022-1
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:10 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:33 pm

You're preaching to choir, Tom. Our poverty/drug policy is outdated, ineffective and inefficient and has been ever since they began. :twocents:
Because they don't want to actually SOLVE the problem, Mark. It's a means of growing government reach/responsibility/power. That's all. And every "war" requires people to pick a side. It's a means of keeping the general public divided and distracted while they loot the country.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:10 am
Because they don't want to actually SOLVE the problem, Mark. It's a means of growing government reach/responsibility/power. That's all. And every "war" requires people to pick a side. It's a means of keeping the general public divided and distracted while they loot the country.
It's a very elaborate sleight of hand routine. :nod: :nod:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:13 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 am

It's why we don't solve the immigration issue. If it was solved then politicians couldn't run on the issue.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:21 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:13 am

It's why we don't solve the immigration issue. If it was solved then politicians couldn't run on the issue.
O I get it. You can't have a platform against The Reps/Dems if you can't occupy the other side of a problem.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:07 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:53 pm
That's where we differ. A bill about X should only be about X. Not X and 2 un-related items.
I agree. We’re not differing.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:58 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:57 pm
Take away the bullshit ballots and any other fraudulent votes and Trump still would have lost.
Sorry, no. The statistical analysis and the canvassing by independent groups shows that's not the case.
Statistical analysis by what "independent groups"? Cyber Ninjas & Conservative Treehouse? :rofl:

I'm guessing that "independent" statistical analysis assumes that all the hinky stuff benefited Biden. I'm not that gullible.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm