2020 General Election

Political discussions
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:09 am Biden winning was expected.
Senate staying in GOP hands, albeit with losing some seats - expected a little less but still expected.
The House seeing the GOP actually make gains and slightly lower the lead the Dems had in the House? Completely unexpected.

Any chance that given we're getting the change in the White House with Trump exiting, that we could also finally get the Dems in the House to finally convince Pelosi to also gracefully exit? I think we're stuck with Schumer as the Minority Leader in the Senate (although frankly I'd rather see that change as well to a younger Senator - I think Booker would be a fascinating Senate Leader, although far too young apparently). Could be a perfect time for ushering out all the old folks from all the leadership positions. Heck, the countdown clock on Harris triggering the 25th is just about to begin. :thumb:
Lol. Those two aren't going anywhere.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Recount in WI. Like I posted earlier, going to be extremely unlikely for Trump to gain more than a few hundred. Just as likely Biden gains a few hundred. 20,000? Lol.

Trump's position: In places where I'm ahead, STOP COUNTING. In places where I'm behind, KEEP COUNTING. :lol:

Last edited by Skjellyfetti on Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:05 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:54 am
Maybe...looks like They've been getting more blue.

2004 - 2.8M Kerry Votes
2008- 3.5M Obama Votes
2012 - 3.38M Obama Votes
2016 - 3.87M Clinton Votes
2020 - 5.16M Biden Votes
Just those numbers mean nothing without looking at the population growth...
They aren't meaningless...but they do lack some context. I agree.

2000 - est. Population 20.85M
2010 - est. Population 25.14M
2019 - est. Population 28.99M

Looks like Texas got slightly more Asian and blacker between 2000 and 2010. White population dropped a bit more than .5%.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

What's the deal with AZ?

AZ Republic saying 400k or so outstanding ballots - Maricopa County at about 86%

Where else would they be coming from?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:42 am Recount in WI. Like I posted earlier, going to be extremely unlikely for Trump to gain more than a few hundred. Just as likely Biden gains a few hundred. 20,000? Lol.

Trump's position: In places where I'm ahead, STOP COUNTING. In places where I'm behind, KEEP COUNTING. :lol:

Trump is trying to steal Gore's playbook on how to do recounts. Back in 2000, it was "let's just do recounts in the Democratic strongholds of Florida". History hasn't looked kindly on Gore nor will it look kindly on Trump. Rank desperation when losing a Presidential contest always comes out looking bad.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:20 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:42 am Recount in WI. Like I posted earlier, going to be extremely unlikely for Trump to gain more than a few hundred. Just as likely Biden gains a few hundred. 20,000? Lol.

Trump is trying to steal Gore's playbook on how to do recounts. Back in 2000, it was "let's just do recounts in the Democratic strongholds of Florida". History hasn't looked kindly on Gore nor will it look kindly on Trump. Rank desperation when losing a Presidential contest always comes out looking bad.
You'd think so but Trump could take a wet, nasty dump on the American Flag and his supporters would defend him. He won't look bad. He's already made the claims of fraud and ballot dumping, w/o providing evidence and his sheep has taken that line as fact.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:13 am
Senate staying in GOP hands, albeit with losing some seats - expected a little less but still expected.
The House seeing the GOP actually make gains and slightly lower the lead the Dems had in the House? Completely unexpected.

Any chance that given we're getting the change in the White House with Trump exiting, that we could also finally get the Dems in the House to finally convince Pelosi to also gracefully exit? I think we're stuck with Schumer as the Minority Leader in the Senate (although frankly I'd rather see that change as well to a younger Senator - I think Booker would be a fascinating Senate Leader, although far too young apparently). Could be a perfect time for ushering out all the old folks from all the leadership positions. Heck, the countdown clock on Harris triggering the 25th is just about to begin. :thumb:
Yes please. Especially Pelosi.
She'll be 81 next year and she's going to lose her most significant attribute of being a foil to Trump. What else has she down in the House during her time? She's kinda the Dennis Conner of House Speakers - she was Speaker as the Dems rode into a supermajority, and then failed so spectacularly that the GOP actually won control of the House for a brief bit (and the GOP winning the House is almost like winning the lottery, it just doesn't happen - hence the Conner reference) and then she rode back into the majority again when the tide came in. Heck, she and Trump should walk out of Washington hand in hand and into the sunset, I don't think she'll have any idea what to do now that Trump is gone.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:25 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:20 pm

You'd think so but Trump could take a wet, nasty dump on the American Flag and his supporters would defend him. He won't look bad. He's already made the claims of fraud and ballot dumping, w/o providing evidence and his sheep has taken that line as fact.
Yeah, but there are still people out there that don't think anything bad of Gore dragging that thing through the mud in 2000 for his own self-esteem. I call them partisans. The Dems have them, the GOP has them, and obviously Trump has them too.

Frankly, this is just setting Trump up for his post-Presidency gig - someone's going to pay him a boatload of money to have a TV show or satellite radio station or something. It'll be widely successful because his sycophants can't get enough of him, and the Dem partisans who foam at the mouth about him won't have the self control to stay away. But I'm fine with that since it will leave the rest of us to get on with the business running America again.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:29 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:25 pm
Yeah, but there are still people out there that don't think anything bad of Gore dragging that thing through the mud in 2000 for his own self-esteem. I call them partisans. The Dems have them, the GOP has them, and obviously Trump has them too.

Frankly, this is just setting Trump up for his post-Presidency gig - someone's going to pay him a boatload of money to have a TV show or satellite radio station or something. It'll be widely successful because his sycophants can't get enough of him, and the Dem partisans who foam at the mouth about him won't have the self control to stay away. But I'm fine with that since it will leave the rest of us to get on with the business running America again.
Dude - you're preaching to the choir. HIs post-Presidency gig (if it doesn't involve Jai Lai at Rikers) could be anything from his own news network to poverty (if the tax stuff is true).

It must be killing Trump that Fox has him losing the EC and the Popular Vote (again). More people chose someone NOT named Donald Trump...again. :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

The Senate staying conk (at least 51) wasn’t expected. Last I looked this morning looked like 52, + Jan runoff GA.

I assumed if Biden ie Harris won would have the Senate. Now with a conk Senate (assuming Biden/Harris wins) the conks can block most of the Biden/Harris agenda.
-No elimination of the Trump tax cuts (which would raise taxes innthe majority of taxpayers, including on this board).
-No court packing.
-No elimination of fracking & fossil fuels.
-No gun bans on modern sporting rifles (what liberals like to call assault weapons) or ammo taxes.
-No single payer.
-No PR statehood and/or DC statehood.
-No amnesty (will get lack of border enforcement).
Etc, etc.

Mitch just needs to turn into Mitch Stonewall McConnell. In 2022 midterms the donks have more seats to defend amd the conkls likely make gains both Houses. Who know could even take back the House.

Biden/Harris will be able to get some stuff done by heavy use of EOs (as have Obama & Trump), some of which will get blocked by the courts.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:58 pm

The Senate staying conk (at least 51) wasn’t expected. Last I looked this morning looked like 51 or 52, + Jan runoff GA.
I was referring more to what I was predicting going in. I didn't think the Dems were going to win the Senate, and I didn't think Trump was going to win. I certainly didn't think the Dems would lose seats in the House. Yeah, I don't think the GOP loses that runoff in GA, especially with the Dems getting the White House, so I think they keep that seat too.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:25 pm You'd think so but Trump could take a wet, nasty dump on the American Flag and his supporters would defend him.
Surely you don't think that's a unique situation.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:39 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Dude - you're preaching to the choir. HIs post-Presidency gig (if it doesn't involve Jai Lai at Rikers) could be anything from his own news network to poverty (if the tax stuff is true).

It must be killing Trump that Fox has him losing the EC and the Popular Vote (again). More people chose someone NOT named Donald Trump...again. :lol:
I don't see him getting convicted - I don't see what they would convict him of other than being an arse, and I didn't realize that was a crime. Besides, we need to be careful going after Presidents once they leave office - it would be very Roman Republic of us, and we know how that ended up for the Romans. He's old (not as old as Biden, but still old). Let him decay down in Mir-a-Lago doing whatever TV show or radio gig he gets and move on - we have plenty of real problems to take care of other than trying to work on some vendettas.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:07 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:58 am
Heck, JSO tried to argue they were legit last time.

Ok, JSO, lets see your analysis in 10,000 words or less on why the polls weren’t fucked up this time... :coffee:
Dude. What's your problem? You know better than to ask JSO to analyze anything. :ohno:
:lol: :stir:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:33 am For the 2012 election cycle, the Democrats predicted they would turn Texas blue...

For the 2014 election cycle, the Democrat predicted they would turn Texas blue...

For the 2016 and 2018 election cycles, the Democrats said Texas would turn blue...

For the 2020 election cycle, the Democrats said they finally had the strong candidate pool and would turn Texas blue...

Well, their best hope was to flip enough seats to turn the State House blue to control redistributing...not a single seat that was targeted was flipped...

Bloomberg dumped around $100k through Everytown and Moms against Guns...and just about every one of their adds was aimed at health care...

Maybe 2022...

2004 - 2.8M Kerry Votes
2008- 3.5M Obama Votes
2012 - 3.38M Obama Votes
2020 - 5.16M Biden Votes
Texas also has had massive population growth in the last 20 yrs..
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

The Senate staying conk (at least 51) wasn’t expected. Last I looked this morning looked like 52, + Jan runoff GA.

I assumed if Biden ie Harris won would have the Senate. Now with a conk Senate (assuming Biden/Harris wins) the conks can block most of the Biden/Harris agenda.
-No elimination of the Trump tax cuts (which would raise taxes innthe majority of taxpayers, including on this board).
-No court packing.
-No gun bans on modern sporting rifles (what liberals like to call assault weapons) or ammo taxes.
-No single payer.
Etc, etc.

Mitch just needs to turn into Mitch Stonewall McConnell. In 2022 midterms the donks have more seats to defend amd the conkls likely make gains both Houses. Who know could even take back the House.

Biden/Harris will be able to get some stuff done by heavy use of EOs (as have Obama & Trump), some of which will get blocked by the courts.
I just looked through 2022 for the Senators - didn't see a lot of seats that will change hands. Biggest race will be who replaces Toomey in PA since he's retiring. That seat could go either way depending on who runs for it. After that it was slim pickings on either side, I think we'll see a lot of status quo in 2022 in the Senate unless something seismic happens before then.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:06 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:25 pm You'd think so but Trump could take a wet, nasty dump on the American Flag and his supporters would defend him.
Eh.... There is a difference the. Republicans are more star-spangled patriotic and showy about it. The Far Left already desecrates the flag.

But if you are saying a Democrat could do something distasteful and unpatriotic and NOT be reprimanded by his supporters then yes, I of course agree. The difference is that we already see this from the Left.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:11 pm

2004 - 2.8M Kerry Votes
2008- 3.5M Obama Votes
2012 - 3.38M Obama Votes
2020 - 5.16M Biden Votes
Texas also has had massive population growth in the last 20 yrs..

They aren't meaningless...but they do lack some context. I agree.

2000 - est. Population 20.85M
2010 - est. Population 25.14M
2019 - est. Population 28.99M

Looks like Texas got slightly more Asian and blacker between 2000 and 2010. White population dropped a bit more than .5%.
I know...almost 9M.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

-No court packing.
-No single payer.
Etc, etc.

No court packing would be a huge victory. Biden will surely do away with the Trump EOs but he won't have an easy time. Agreed.

MAYBE this will cause more bi-partisan agreement and efforts.

I doubt it.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:13 pm

-No court packing.
-No single payer.
Etc, etc.

I just looked through 2022 for the Senators - didn't see a lot of seats that will change hands. Biggest race will be who replaces Toomey in PA since he's retiring. That seat could go either way depending on who runs for it. After that it was slim pickings on either side, I think we'll see a lot of status quo in 2022 in the Senate unless something seismic happens before then.
I admit I hadn’t looked at who was up in 2022 in the Senate. I was ASSuming that since the conks had so many more seats to defend 2020, the donks woukd have more to defend 2022, + the usual party in control of the WH usually losing seats in the midterms..
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Great :roll:

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:21 pm

-No court packing.
-No single payer.
Etc, etc.

No court packing would be a huge victory. Biden will surely do away with the Trump EOs but he won't have an easy time. Agreed.

I doubt it.
Agreed, taking court packing off the agenda is a huge win for government - we risked really starting a vicious spiral we'd never get out of. Heck, this should also eliminate the idea of Senate packing as well. I can get behind a Puerto Rico statehood if that's what Puerto Ricans want (they're voting on it again, but it looks like it'll be pretty split either way again), but I'll never get behind a Wash DC statehood. The latter certainly won't be on the agenda for this Congress at least.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:37 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:21 pm

I doubt it.
Agreed, taking court packing off the agenda is a huge win for government - we risked really starting a vicious spiral we'd never get out of. Heck, this should also eliminate the idea of Senate packing as well. I can get behind a Puerto Rico statehood if that's what Puerto Ricans want (they're voting on it again, but it looks like it'll be pretty split either way again), but I'll never get behind a Wash DC statehood. The latter certainly won't be on the agenda for this Congress at least.
-Zero chance of that with conk controlled Senate, unless you come up with 2 more conk seats somewhere else..
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:15 pm
89Hen wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:06 pm

Eh.... There is a difference the. Republicans are more star-spangled patriotic and showy about it. The Far Left already desecrates the flag.

But if you are saying a Democrat could do something distasteful and unpatriotic and NOT be reprimanded by his supporters then yes, I of course agree. The difference is that we already see this from the Left.
It wasn't the flag. The "leader" of either party can do anything that their side would normally find abhorrent and they would get away with it to a vast majority of their followers. They're followers for a reason.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:37 pm Agreed, taking court packing off the agenda is a huge win for government - we risked really starting a vicious spiral we'd never get out of. Heck, this should also eliminate the idea of Senate packing as well.
:nod: I actually do finally get why Biden wouldn't answer the question. He was waiting to see if the Senate would flip. No sense in saying you're for court packing if the R's kept control. Now he can say he was never seriously considering it and sheep will believe it.