Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

The United States of Sociopathy

Post by kalm »

I kindly asked a long time customer (a very successful business owner) yesterday to wear a mask while in the clubhouse...perhaps he hadn’t read the local news or didn’t see the signs on all the doors?

He said “I ain’t wearing no fucking mask! Inslee can kiss my ass!”

This is a very intriguing read. Don’t agree with all of it but there are many legitimate points about the state of our society.......

“When I look around the world today, it strikes me that we’re living in the age of the sociopath. I don’t just mean that in the technical psychological sense of the word — a certain head of state and his goons come to mind — but first, in a deeper, truer, broader sense. Sociopathic: hostile to the idea, the notion, the purpose, of society. Not just “their” society or “mine” or “yours” — but the great and historic ideal of society itself. Sociopathy to the point that nations like Britain and America were simply unable to lock down in time, to protect society’s most vulnerable. Sociopathy to the point that Americans sunbathe on beaches while the death rate is the equivalent of a 9/11 every day. Sociopathy to the point that despite the fact that the infection hasn’t peaked yet, Trump is still trying to “reopen” the economy.
When you look at a generation of leaders failing ruinously to deal with any of the great challenges of the 21st century — inequality, climate change, mass extinction, stagnation, and now, a pandemic— it’s because most of them are profoundly, immovably hostile that there is such a thing as a society we should and must care for to begin with. When you look at fractured, riven countries, one after the other plunging into authoritarianism, it’s because large numbers of people have become deeply hostile to the notion of living in or being part of a society — not just theirs, but living beside anyone and caring for them, investing in them, nurturing them, period. When you see Americans protesting lockdown, armed with rifles— that, my friends, is textbook sociopathy, a kind of sneering contempt towards the idea that society exists, matters, counts, or is even necessary.”

https://eand.co/how-freedom-turned-soci ... 3048c59f8f
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Re: The United States of Sociopathy

Post by AshevilleApp »

kalm wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:22 am I kindly asked a long time customer (a very successful business owner) yesterday to wear a mask while in the clubhouse...perhaps he hadn’t read the local news or didn’t see the signs on all the doors?

This is a very intriguing read. Don’t agree with all of it but there are many legitimate points about the state of our society.......

“When I look around the world today, it strikes me that we’re living in the age of the sociopath. I don’t just mean that in the technical psychological sense of the word — a certain head of state and his goons come to mind — but first, in a deeper, truer, broader sense. Sociopathic: hostile to the idea, the notion, the purpose, of society. Not just “their” society or “mine” or “yours” — but the great and historic ideal of society itself. Sociopathy to the point that nations like Britain and America were simply unable to lock down in time, to protect society’s most vulnerable. Sociopathy to the point that Americans sunbathe on beaches while the death rate is the equivalent of a 9/11 every day. Sociopathy to the point that despite the fact that the infection hasn’t peaked yet, Trump is still trying to “reopen” the economy.
When you look at a generation of leaders failing ruinously to deal with any of the great challenges of the 21st century — inequality, climate change, mass extinction, stagnation, and now, a pandemic— it’s because most of them are profoundly, immovably hostile that there is such a thing as a society we should and must care for to begin with. When you look at fractured, riven countries, one after the other plunging into authoritarianism, it’s because large numbers of people have become deeply hostile to the notion of living in or being part of a society — not just theirs, but living beside anyone and caring for them, investing in them, nurturing them, period. When you see Americans protesting lockdown, armed with rifles— that, my friends, is textbook sociopathy, a kind of sneering contempt towards the idea that society exists, matters, counts, or is even necessary.”

Are masks mandated in Oregon? Or the clubhouse itself? The place I work at won't serve someone without a mask.

Edit: We will provide car service to mask free people, and even provide a mask if really needed. Some people still won't comply. They go elsewhere.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:22 am I kindly asked a long time customer (a very successful business owner) yesterday to wear a mask while in the clubhouse...perhaps he hadn’t read the local news or didn’t see the signs on all the doors?

That was....exhausting. Someone needs to change that kids diaper.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:42 am

Are masks mandated in Oregon? Or the clubhouse itself? The place I work at won't serve someone without a mask.
I’m in Eastern WA. Mask Mandate for indoor public places started Friday. State’s verbiage says they’re required but the signage they made public to post says “we ask all customers to (pretty please) wear a mask when entering the building.

If I had graphics skills I’d create a poster of Sammuel L Jackson with the caption “Wear a mask motherfucker!”

Eastern Wa is very conservative culturally and has pretty much rejected everything Inslee and commie bastards on the west side (like Chizzang) have asked or ordered. The top 4 counties with exploding infection rates are on the east side but the westside is inching up too due to relaxed restrictions and commingling with the unwashed types from the barren wasteland steppes over here.

CID said he’s seeing a political divide. I prefer to call it cultural and there are some positives to Eastern Wa’s conservatism.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

At bottom, it’s just another anti-capitalist screed, using COVID-19 as a convenient launching pad. Tripz could have written it. :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

kalm wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:52 am
AshevilleApp wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:42 am

I’m in Eastern WA. Mask Mandate for indoor public places started Friday. State’s verbiage says they’re required but the signage they made public to post says “we ask all customers to (pretty please) wear a mask when entering the building.

If I had graphics skills I’d create a poster of Sammuel L Jackson with the caption “Wear a mask motherfucker!”

Eastern Wa is very conservative culturally and has pretty much rejected everything Inslee and commie bastards on the west side (like Chizzang) have asked or ordered. The top 4 counties with exploding infection rates are on the east side but the westside is inching up too due to relaxed restrictions and commingling with the unwashed types from the barren wasteland steppes over here.

CID said he’s seeing a political divide. I prefer to call it cultural and there are some positives to Eastern Wa’s conservatism.
I'm curious to know what the recommended state verbiage is here, since the statewide mandate started this past Friday as well. Buncombe County has had the requirement for several weeks, but acknowledges that no enforcement procedures will be used. I don't like mandates (or prohibitions), and preferred that we go with "masks strongly suggested". I lost the debate and we mandate them. Honestly, it's easier in some ways. Less room for argument.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:02 am At bottom, it’s just another anti-capitalist screed, using COVID-19 as a convenient launching pad. Tripz could have written it. :coffee:
I was so anticipating this response. :lol:

The thinly veiled anti- capitalism component, I have some issues with but much of it is worthy of discussion and legit. Sorry you’re still in the denial stage of grieving for Ronald Reagan’s America.

:kisswink:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:26 am
Ivytalk wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:02 am At bottom, it’s just another anti-capitalist screed, using COVID-19 as a convenient launching pad. Tripz could have written it. :coffee:

The thinly veiled anti- capitalism component, I have some issues with but much of it is worthy of discussion and legit. Sorry you’re still in the denial stage of grieving for Ronald Reagan’s America.

And I anticipated your posting this very type of tripe. You do it at least once a month. All anti-capitalists bewail the absence of “society” in the idealogized sense that they advocate. This Umair guy just takes it to the next level: all self-interest is bad. Orange Man-level-bad. What’s worth discussing or, in BLM parlance, having a “conversation” about? Hundreds of “progressives” have written about the “selfishness” of opening the economy and/or not wearing masks.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ivytalk wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:32 am

And I anticipated your posting this very type of tripe. You do it at least once a month. All anti-capitalists bewail the absence of “society” in the idealogized sense that they advocate. This Umair guy just takes it to the next level: all self-interest is bad. Orange Man-level-bad. What’s worth discussing or, in BLM parlance, having a “conversation” about? Hundreds of “progressives” have written about the “selfishness” of opening the economy and/or not wearing masks.
I didn't read it but my guess is that there is some truth to it. What the author probably refuses to acknowledge is that the left is just as guilty of the opposite. As I've posted before, there is a yin and yang in America between self-reliance and community support. Swinging all the way to the community support side is just as bad as the opposite. Is the author too sure of the righteousness of his own cause to realize that? How is he any different than the right-wingers who believe the opposite?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Very little moves the needle/grabs attention anymore because the vast majority of us are fat, happy, lazy, self centered pricks (myself included at times.

As an an analogy...I initially thought the defund police movement was shitty branding and I disagreed with it. But then I asked myself how exciting would a “reform” movement be? Yawn...been there tried that.

These are extraordinary times. There will continue to be much noise, but introspection and owning your shit are ultimately positives. To deny that is is simply fear and lashing out with anger (the 2nd step on the grievance hierarchy).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:54 am

I didn't read it but my guess is that there is some truth to it. What the author probably refuses to acknowledge is that the left is just as guilty of the opposite. As I've posted before, there is a yin and yang in America between self-reliance and community support. Swinging all the way to the community support side is just as bad as the opposite. Is the author too sure of the righteousness of his own cause to realize that? How is he any different than the right-wingers who believe the opposite?
Your thoughts on balance were echoing in my ears as I posted this, homey. :thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:54 am

Answers to your questions: 1. Yes. 2. Probably not much.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:59 am

Very little moves the needle/grabs attention anymore because the vast majority of us are fat, happy, lazy, self centered pricks (myself included at times.

As an an analogy...I initially thought the defund police movement was shitty branding and I disagreed with it. But then I asked myself how exciting would a “reform” movement be? Yawn...been there tried that.

These are extraordinary times. There will continue to be much noise, but introspection and owning your shit are ultimately positives. To deny that is is simply fear and lashing out with anger (the 2nd step on the grievance hierarchy).
I read the whole thing, as I usually do out of respect for you, and I just saw a lot of self-righteous condescension in it. Bloggers like Umair tend to overstate their case. They confuse length of blog with depth of analysis. A shorter, more thoughtful piece could have stated a risk of social dissolution from three crises at once (pestilence, economic depression, racial grievances) without going overboard on the alleged evils of normal, self-interested behavior. I don’t need 88 to tell me that.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:09 am
kalm wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:59 am

I read the whole thing, as I usually do out of respect for you, and I just saw a lot of self-righteous condescension in it. Bloggers like Umair tend to overstate their case. They confuse length of blog with depth of analysis. A shorter, more thoughtful piece could have stated a risk of social dissolution from three crises at once (pestilence, economic depression, racial grievances) without going overboard on the alleged evils of normal, self-interested behavior. I don’t need 88 to tell me that.
Rec management major from a directional Harvard...It sometimes requires multiple posts for me to understand.

I disagree with summarily rejecting the article but I get your point.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Do you see any irony in the fact that the same Karens who Obsess and bitch about you not wearing masks are the ideology tearing down the very fabric and history of our country? That their answer to not getting their way is to literally scream nonstop for hours on end or destroy public property or report you to authorities? Oh, there’s no “society “ any more, but the refusal of some to wear masks is a looooong ways down the List of examples of societal deterioration.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

What gets me about the anti maskers is that they tend to be the same people who are upset over the idea of having to do other things to grapple with this pandemic. So we've got a society where public health officials have said "This is what we need to do to get this under control." And these nut jobs refuse to do it. Then they complain about the things that have to go on because it's not under control.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:29 am

Do you see any irony in the fact that the same Karens who Obsess and bitch about you not wearing masks are the ideology tearing down the very fabric and history of our country? That their answer to not getting their way is to literally scream nonstop for hours on end or destroy public property or report you to authorities? Oh, there’s no “society “ any more, but the refusal of some to wear masks is a looooong ways down the List of examples of societal deterioration.
Refusing to cooperate with the "everybody wear a mask" thing is just stupid. Maybe other things are stupid too. But independent of all that, it's stupid.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:28 pm What gets me about the anti maskers is that they tend to be the same people who are upset over the idea of having to do other things to grapple with this pandemic. So we've got a society where public health officials have said "This is what we need to do to get this under control." And these nut jobs refuse to do it. Then they complain about the things that have to go on because it's not under control.
Their name is also Karen.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:28 pm What gets me about the anti maskers is that they tend to be the same people who are upset over the idea of having to do other things to grapple with this pandemic. So we've got a society where public health officials have said "This is what we need to do to get this under control." And these nut jobs refuse to do it. Then they complain about the things that have to go on because it's not under control.
Wrong.

Karen is reserved for progtards.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I had and have my doubts about telling everybody to wear a mask because of concern that people wearing masks won't be as careful to maintain distance and avoid contact. But for Pete's sake at least give it a shot to see if it works. I think it's obvious that, all other things being equal, someone wearing a mask is less likely to transmit the disease than someone not wearing one is. So you've got public health experts pointing out that asymptomatic spread is possible and pre-symptomatic spread is a definite problem. So they want everyone to assume they could be carrying the disease and wear masks in order to avoid transmitting.

It seems pretty obvious that if they could get everybody to wear masks when they are out and about while at the same time maintaining other precautions there is going to be less transmission of the disease. So if you're concerned about the impact on the economy for Pete's sake cooperate with efforts that do not necessarily impact the economy to reduce transmission.

This whole mask thing is yet another thing making conservatives look stupid. I know not all conservatives are in the anti-mask camp. But it is definitely associated with the conservative movement in general and the Trump cult in particular.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:50 pm
One of my nieces made a Facebook post where she took her blood oxygen level before putting on a mask, wore the mask while she did what she needed to do, then took her blood oxygen level after. Here blood oxygen level after was the same (97) as her blood oxygen level before.

She apologetically said her observation was anecdotal. I responded and said, no, it's not anecdotal. She conducted an experiment. I told her she needs to do some replication to make it better but that was an experiment with respect to what happens to her.
Could I ever be a star?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:03 pm I had and have my doubts about telling everybody to wear a mask because of concern that people wearing masks won't be as careful to maintain distance and avoid contact. But for Pete's sake at least give it a shot to see if it works. I think it's obvious that, all other things being equal, someone wearing a mask is less likely to transmit the disease than someone not wearing one is. So you've got public health experts pointing out that asymptomatic spread is possible and pre-symptomatic spread is a definite problem. So they want everyone to assume they could be carrying the disease and wear masks in order to avoid transmitting.

It seems pretty obvious that if they could get everybody to wear masks when they are out and about while at the same time maintaining other precautions there is going to be less transmission of the disease. So if you're concerned about the impact on the economy for Pete's sake cooperate with efforts that do not necessarily impact the economy to reduce transmission.

This whole mask thing is yet another thing making conservatives look stupid. I know not all conservatives are in the anti-mask camp. But it is definitely associated with the conservative movement in general and the Trump cult in particular.
Not to worry, John. You’re no conservative.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:03 pm I had and have my doubts about telling everybody to wear a mask because of concern that people wearing masks won't be as careful to maintain distance and avoid contact. But for Pete's sake at least give it a shot to see if it works. I think it's obvious that, all other things being equal, someone wearing a mask is less likely to transmit the disease than someone not wearing one is. So you've got public health experts pointing out that asymptomatic spread is possible and pre-symptomatic spread is a definite problem. So they want everyone to assume they could be carrying the disease and wear masks in order to avoid transmitting.

And I know not all liberals are in the riot and pillage camp, but it definitely is associated with the liberal movement in general and the Marxist/BLM cult in particular.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:20 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Wrong.

Karen is reserved for progtards.