Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

How Trump Wins

Post by kalm »

I haven’t really considered these type of tactics realistic but this article caught my attention. The Bulwark ain’t exactly a sensationalistic/lefty rag either.
How to Steal an Election

Four ways Trump can still win, 89 days out.
by DMITRI MEHLHORN AUGUST 6, 2020

If you want the bad news all at once, the TL/DR is this:

(1) Trump can use normal tactics to win outright or make the race closer.

(2) COVID problems with election administration can take up to 6 percent off of Biden’s margin.

(3) Trump and the GOP might use historically unprecedented tactics to stay in power despite losing.

(4) pro-Trump foreign actors will be using similar but more aggressive tactics to their 2016 interference.

The combination of these tactics gives Trump a solid chance to stay in power. So let’s talk about them.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: How Trump Wins

Post by CAA Flagship »

:ohno: :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:43 am :ohno: :ohno:
I agree, Flaggy. It’s going to be a shit show regardless. Even if Trump loses he still has 2 1/2 months in office to burn it down some some more. :ohno:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Billionaire Reid Hoffman’s venture capital–fueled crusade to save democracy had a bit of a bumpy start. In early 2017, Hoffman joined forces with political strategist Dmitri Mehlhorn, among others, investing some $3 million in Democratic candidates and groups in Virginia with the goal of flipping the state’s Republican-held legislature.

Credibility >>>>>> Window

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/04 ... -democracy
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:23 am I haven’t really considered these type of tactics realistic but this article caught my attention. The Bulwark ain’t exactly a sensationalistic/lefty rag either.
How to Steal an Election

(2) COVID problems with election administration can take up to 6 percent off of Biden’s margin.

(3) Trump and the GOP might use historically unprecedented tactics to stay in power despite losing.

(4) pro-Trump foreign actors will be using similar but more aggressive tactics to their 2016 interference.

The combination of these tactics gives Trump a solid chance to stay in power. So let’s talk about them.
Not a Lefty rag, but Never Trumpers who've lost relevance on the political scene.

Weren't you just trying to sell us on Trump dropping out?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:24 am
kalm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:23 am I haven’t really considered these type of tactics realistic but this article caught my attention. The Bulwark ain’t exactly a sensationalistic/lefty rag either.

Not a Lefty rag, but Never Trumpers who've lost relevance on the political scene.

Weren't you just trying to sell us on Trump dropping out?
Yes. Still think there’s a chance if polls continue on their trend.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:04 am
Billionaire Reid Hoffman’s venture capital–fueled crusade to save democracy had a bit of a bumpy start. In early 2017, Hoffman joined forces with political strategist Dmitri Mehlhorn, among others, investing some $3 million in Democratic candidates and groups in Virginia with the goal of flipping the state’s Republican-held legislature.

So? Moderate Conservatives (similar to the Lincoln Group) who Trump scared out of the party.

You’re still a moderate, aren’t you, 89?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:36 am

So? Moderate Conservatives (similar to the Lincoln Group) who Trump scared out of the party.

No. You and others have moved so far left, I now appear to be Alt-Right in comparison. But it's an optical illusion. 8-)
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

How to Steal an Election

Bulwark :lol:

An entire gaggle of JSO's. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

The key to Trump winning is the number of "proud" Trump supporters there are in the swing states who are too ashamed to tell pollsters that they support Trump.
Last edited by UNI88 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:42 am

No. You and others have moved so far left, I now appear to be Alt-Right in comparison. But it's an optical illusion. 8-)
:lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

A handful of Deep Staters with ties to Russia. You hear about them because the left loves to fete any so called conk groups that are anti Trump. Nat Review dubbing them the 'Grifter Project' is apropos..
https://nypost.com/2020/07/21/lincoln-p ... bles-docs/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:42 am

You're not alt-right and Kalm isn't ctrl-left.

Kalm's post-partisan status is up for review and might be denied by the Post-Partisan Council since he consistently defends the ctrl-left while criticizing the right. Balance is required to be a post-partisan.

:coffee:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Everything Bill Kristol touches eventually turns to shit.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

How to Steal an Election

The possibility is open for an outcome that would be every bit as entertaining as Lardass getting reelected and facing a Blue Congress: His boy successfully fucks up the USPS to the point where the count is delayed beyond 20JAN'21.... :notworthy:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Trump already won.

Even if he isn't reelected, he'll be a figurehead President with oversized social influence. That's how cults work.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:22 am

A handful of Deep Staters with ties to Russia. You hear about them because the left loves to fete any so called conk groups that are anti Trump. Nat Review dubbing them the 'Grifter Project' is apropos..
https://nypost.com/2020/07/21/lincoln-p ... bles-docs/
What constitutes a "deep stater?" Is it anyone in the gov't that puts country before party? A bureaucrat that doesn't suck up to the administration?

I'd be willing to bet Trump has some shady finances. After all - he developed Real Estate in New York and New Jersey during the height of the mob running NYC and was mentored by Roy Cohn who was an attorney for mobsters. The company you keep says a lot about you. :twocents:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:47 am Everything Bill Kristol touches eventually turns to shit.
Like Dan Quayle?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:26 am
Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:47 am Everything Bill Kristol touches eventually turns to shit.
Like Dan Quayle?
Was Quayle recommended to HW Bush by Kristol? I didn’t know that. But his track record of publications isn’t great. The Weekly Standard is kaput, and The Bulwark will fold within a year after Trump leaves office. :twocents:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:01 am The key to Trump winning is the number of "proud" Trump supporters there are in the swing states who are too ashamed to tell pollsters that they support Trump.
Already covered this. The majority of the polls are undersampling Republicans by 9%, just like last time...when Hillary had a 99% chance of winning.

Suppression polls.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:34 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:26 am

Like Dan Quayle?
Was Quayle recommended to HW Bush by Kristol? I didn’t know that. But his track record of publications isn’t great. The Weekly Standard is kaput, and The Bulwark will fold within a year after Trump leaves office. :twocents:
I thought I was told that long ago when he came up in a conversation. I gotta give him credit for standing up for Republican principles and seeing Trump for the charlatan he is.

The Bulwark is interesting but it serves to oppose Trump. Unless it changes tack, or the GOP continues to be the Party of Trump, I agree that it will cease to operate.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:48 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:01 am The key to Trump winning is the number of "proud" Trump supporters there are in the swing states who are too ashamed to tell pollsters that they support Trump.
Already covered this. The majority of the polls are undersampling Republicans by 9%, just like last time...when Hillary had a 99% chance of winning.

Suppression polls.
They might be undersampling Uumpa Truumpas but I'm guessing that there are a larger number of them who are afraid to admit that they're voting for him when polled? It's interesting that supposedly "proud" supporters might be too ashamed to admit it.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:10 am Trump already won.

Even if he isn't reelected, he'll be a figurehead President with oversized social influence. That's how cults work.
See ==> "Barack Hussein Obama"
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:48 am

Suppression polls.
They might be undersampling Uumpa Truumpas but I'm guessing that there are a larger number of them who are afraid to admit that they're voting for him when polled? It's interesting that supposedly "proud" supporters might be too ashamed to admit it.
Being proud doesn't prevent the unhinged left from attacking people who support Trump.

The normalization of aggression against differing points of view is what is causing "proud" Trump supporters from openly stating their support, not shame.

You know what a Trump sticker gets you around my area? Yard trashed and car keyed.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:47 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 am

Being proud doesn't prevent the unhinged left from attacking people who support Trump.

The normalization of aggression against differing points of view is what is causing "proud" Trump supporters from openly stating their support, not shame.

You know what a Trump sticker gets you around my area? Yard trashed and car keyed.
Exactly. Sad that UNI's views have changed so radically since his move. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12