NY AG Sues to Dissolve NRA, Citing Fraud and Illegality

Political discussions
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

NY AG Sues to Dissolve NRA, Citing Fraud and Illegality

Post by JoltinJoe »

Is this a smart thing to do in an Election Year? Middle America already thinks New York wants to run the country. I can see this as part of the messaging to keep the Senate red.

As I understand, it isn't all that difficult for a 501(c)(3) to change states of registration anyway.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/06/89971282 ... estigation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88

Re: NY AG Sues to Dissolve NRA, Citing Fraud and Illegality

Post by UNI88 »

JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:24 am Is this a smart thing to do in an Election Year? Middle America already thinks New York wants to run the country. I can see this as part of the messaging to keep the Senate red.

As I understand, it isn't all that difficult for a 501(c)(3) to change states of registration anyway.

Isn't the NRA based in Virginia? That's where their 990's are filed.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: Killer Snail

Post by dbackjon »

JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:24 am Is this a smart thing to do in an Election Year? Middle America already thinks New York wants to run the country. I can see this as part of the messaging to keep the Senate red.

Bad Timing, but warranted. The NRA membership should be up in arms (hehe) over the misappropriation of funds by the elitist "leadership" of the NRA.
:thumb:
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:57 am

Bad Timing, but warranted. The NRA membership should be up in arms (hehe) over the misappropriation of funds by the elitist "leadership" of the NRA.
Not a member of the NRA, but I think many members would be thrilled to see the leadership dispatched.

But dissolving the whole organization? Across the board, this lawsuit will be seen as a political act by a blue state Democrat. Even the NRA members who don't like LaPierre will see this broadside as more of an attack on them personally, and on their values, than an attack on the leadership.

Although the NRA has only a 48% approval rating nationally, that figure is dragged down by big the metropolitan areas of New York, LA, Chicago. In swing states, the NRA polls favorably by a solid percentage, and in solidly red states, its popularity is enormous. This will only help red turnout in states in which Senate seats are up for grabs.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:32 am

Not a member of the NRA, but I think many members would be thrilled to see the leadership dispatched.

But dissolving the whole organization? Across the board, this lawsuit will be seen as a political act by a blue state Democrat. Even the NRA members who don't like LaPierre will see this broadside as more of an attack on them personally, and on their values, than an attack on the leadership.

Although the NRA has only a 48% approval rating nationally, that figure is dragged down by big the metropolitan areas of New York, LA, Chicago. In swing states, the NRA polls favorably by a solid percentage, and in solidly red states, its popularity is enormous. This will only help red turnout in states in which Senate seats are up for grabs.
:nod:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Did the left wing NY AG get replaced with a conk? Because he just gave a big conk electoral assist. This NY AG just sold a few hundred k (or a few million guns), got the NRA a bunch of new members and $$$, made a bunch of new conk TV ads, and drummed up a bunch more conk votes for the fall. :nod:
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Andrew Cuomo’s private line to Letitia James must have been sizzling! :lol:
“Sure. I was wrong.” — 89Hen 7/27/2020
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'm confused; are some implying we ignore/delay going after corruption (or whatever crime) because it's an election year?

:?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:09 pm I'm confused; are some implying we ignore/delay going after corruption (or whatever crime) because it's an election year?

:dunce: No, I think it's more a question of what is the proper approach to prosecuting the alleged fraud.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:09 pm I'm confused; are some implying we ignore/delay going after corruption (or whatever crime) because it's an election year?

Perhaps you might see a difference between suing to remove leadership for bad acts; and using that as a pretext to try to dissolve the whole organization?
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:07 pm Andrew Cuomo’s private line to Letitia James must have been sizzling! :lol:
Can't wait to dump this awful state and join you in Delaware. :D
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:39 pm

Perhaps you might see a difference between suing to remove leadership for bad acts; and using that as a pretext to try to dissolve the whole organization?
Non-profits get dissolved all the time for poor leadership. Unlike private companies which get bought up or go bankrupt due to bad leadership, the public protects itself by dissolving non-profits. The only significance here is the name, and we'll see if the courts agree.

I'm sure the leaders will eventually face their own charges.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:06 pm Did the left wing NY AG get replaced with a conk? Because he just gave a big conk electoral assist. This NY AG just sold a few hundred k (or a few million guns), got the NRA a bunch of new members and $$$, made a bunch of new conk TV ads, and drummed up a bunch more conk votes for the fall. :nod:
* she

(Good god, cant you get anything right? Your wild inaccuracies divert from the quality of your opinions)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:52 pm
JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:39 pm

Non-profits get dissolved all the time for poor leadership. Unlike private companies which get bought up or go bankrupt due to bad leadership, the public protects itself by dissolving non-profits. The only significance here is the name, and we'll see if the courts agree.

:lol:

Is there literally NOTHING you’re not an expert on?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

You mean like union members are about the way their funds are spent? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:02 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:52 pm

Yes, most everything. This is a message board, we mostly debate opinions.

You'd think you woulda figured out the internet by now, especially with 54000 posts on this website alone.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:06 pm Did the left wing NY AG get replaced with a conk? Because he just gave a big conk electoral assist. This NY AG just sold a few hundred k (or a few million guns), got the NRA a bunch of new members and $$$, made a bunch of new conk TV ads, and drummed up a bunch more conk votes for the fall. :nod:
So you are saying conks will be all like "Corruption is fine as long as it's in the organization I love!" ?
93 had something to do with this:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Holding my breath for when the NY AG investigates the Clinton Crime Family Foundation Inc. :coffee:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:40 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:07 pm Andrew Cuomo’s private line to Letitia James must have been sizzling! :lol:
You must mean Ocean City, MD, or points south. :nod:
“Sure. I was wrong.” — 89Hen 7/27/2020
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:12 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:02 pm

You'd think you woulda figured out the internet by now, especially with 54000 posts on this website alone.
Just find it entertaining how you’re an expert on everything. You’re like cs.com’s very own Cliff Clavin! :dunce: :dunce:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:04 pm
JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:32 am

:nod:
Glad to see you posting a happy smiling nod there. :D :D
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:42 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:12 pm

Just find it entertaining how you’re an expert on everything. You’re like cs.com’s very own Cliff Clavin! :dunce: :dunce:
I'm not an expert on most everything.

That said, I do find it funny you singled me out considering everyone here posts stuff on almost every thread, many who do so more than me. But I guess you agree with their non-expert opinions so it's easy to single me out instead even when I bring facts (you don't like).

Anyways, go learn what an internet message board is. Maybe you'll become an expert in how they operate.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:04 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:42 pm
I'm not an expert on most everything.

That said, I do find it funny you singled me out considering everyone here posts stuff on almost every thread, many who do so more than me. But I guess you agree with their non-expert opinions so it's easy to single me out instead even when I bring facts (you don't like).

Anyways, go learn what an internet message board is. Maybe you'll become an expert in how they operate.
Cliff, stop picking on Norm! Norm, stop picking on Cliff! :D
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Hello, this is America. The only thing that matters is how it's viewed through a partisan lens.

Also, the Dems literally cannot stop stop sabotaging themselves at every turn. Either way, our country is fucked regardless of who has temporary power :ohno:
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:39 pm
JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:40 pm

You must mean Ocean City, MD, or points south. :nod:
No, we've pretty much settled on Delaware, because your bagels and pizza don't suck as bad as further down South.

You do get the YES Network, right? It's practically a national network by now and you can get it everywhere, except in the sorriest places like Dogpatch and Boston.

We were down in Delaware looking at property recently and filmed some video of us interacting with Dela-hicks. Check it out: