Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: 2020 Republican Convention

Post by kalm »

So who’s going to lead each side in this fantasy civil war scenario?

General Trump? Colonel Cliven Bundy?

Vs.

Guerilla leader Sarah McLaughlin or some rail-thin tatted and pierced skater chick from Reed College?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:25 pm
CID1990 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:53 am Way too many people conflate Trump being the cause of our problems with being a symptom of them.

Most of the bile out there on social media and the mass media existed well before Trump ever ran for the GOP nomination

Everybody is firmly ensconced in their trenches, everybody hates each other from behind a keyboard but not in person, and everybody wants to taunt and enflame the other side. The left has reacted VERY poorly to this... and it remains to be seen how the right will behave when being taunted by the left when their own demagogue is in office. Maybe they’ll remain like the comparatively benign Tea Party. Or maybe we are just in a progressive cycle of escalation.

But acting like a bunch of cunts in response to the other side’s cunts is not acceptable. And I blame Trump for very little of what is happening on the streets. Saying that he’s at fault smells a lot like the people who clutch their pearls over criticisms of Islam that leads rando Muslims to go berzerk... it is infantilizing legitimate protest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The hate is coming out from behind the keyboard and metastasizing. Gangs of leftists and rightists fighting each other in the streets now, as in Weimar Germany. This can’t end well.
:nod: It's true. I fear that something will happen in November, regardless if Trump wins or loses. Both sides are amped up, increasingly paranoid and violent. We have had skirmishes and It would not shock me one bit if there was some sort of fight that leaves at least a dozen dead and more injured. The Proud Boys will be armed with guns and the BLM/Antifa crowd will be throwing molotov cocktails and anything they can get their hands on.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:50 pm
BDKJMU wrote: My $$ would be on the nutters from the right. Better armed. Better trained...
... said the Romanovs

and Diem

and Bautista

and Arena

etc etc

And King George.

No, I agree with BDK. I think the Right would initially win any confrontation. Maybe not the "war" but certainly the first few fights.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ivytalk wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:41 am
Baldy wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:35 am
Your surrender is accepted.
Yep. Dawg is here for his periodic regurgitation of pithy one-liners before he goes out to work on his truck.
210,000 and it runs like a top. :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

kalm wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:28 am So who’s going to lead each side in this fantasy civil war scenario?

Vs.

Guerilla leader Sarah McLaughlin or some rail-thin tatted and pierced skater chick from Reed College?
BLM cavalry

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:18 am
kalm wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:28 am So who’s going to lead each side in this fantasy civil war scenario?

Vs.

BLM cavalry

It’s worse than I thought!

:lol:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:40 am
CID1990 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:50 pm
... said the Romanovs

and Diem

and Bautista

and Arena

etc etc

And King George.

No, I agree with BDK. I think the Right would initially win any confrontation. Maybe not the "war" but certainly the first few fights.
Considering how much is vested in the United States by foreign interests, and the economic ties we have all over the place, a second US civil war probably has a high chance turning into a global conflict. At minimum, each side would become proxies to other nations.

Every civil war scenario I ever see posted (and conks sure love 'em) seems to think it'll happen in some sort of vacuum. That didn't even happen in the first one, and now the US is one of the biggest players in a globalized world.

(CID is right though.)
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:57 am
And King George.

Considering how much is vested in the United States by foreign interests, and the economic ties we have all over the place, a second US civil war probably has a high chance turning into a global conflict. At minimum, each side would become proxies to other nations.

Every civil war scenario I ever see posted (and conks sure love 'em) seems to think it'll happen in some sort of vacuum. That didn't even happen in the first one, and now the US is one of the biggest players in a globalized world.

(CID is right though.)
In a lot of cases you support whatever side will be more friendly to you in power or whoever you can sell weapons to. Since we're pretty much the worlds arms manufacturer the latter is moot.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

And King George.

(CID is right though.)
Who really thinks there will be winners after a modern civil war? The vast majority of the survivors will be worse off than if the war had never occurred.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:43 am

(CID is right though.)
Who really thinks there will be winners after a modern civil war? The vast majority of the survivors will be worse off than if the war had never occurred.
Depends on which side wins.

And I don't think there will be a Civil War, donk controlled cities are being allowed to be burned down by their elected donk leaders. Those with the means are fleeing or will flee. What will be left to fight over? Why would conservatives spend effort trying to save these cities that are being, or will be ravaged? Additionally, I don't see how the logistics works out for those dense population centers if the food supply/chain is stopped.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

(CID is right though.)
If a Civil War comes, i'm heading up to the cabin in Western NC. I'll join the Resistance if I have to go all Swamp Fox on some SJWs.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:57 am

Depends on which side wins.

And I don't think there will be a Civil War, donk controlled cities are being allowed to be burned down by their elected donk leaders. Those with the means are fleeing or will flee. What will be left to fight over? Why would conservatives spend effort trying to save these cities that are being, or will be ravaged? Additionally, I don't see how the logistics works out for those dense population centers if the food supply/chain is stopped.
At least the people complaining about gentrification will get their way and get their city back. Of course it will have little to no value, no restaurants or shops or services. But at least they'll have it back.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

President Trump on Tuesday denied that he made an emergency visit to the hospital last year after suffering "a series of mini-strokes" after a new book claimed that Vice President Pence was on standby in the event Trump was incapacitated.

The president's denial raised eyebrows, as the book from New York Times correspondent Michael Schmidt did not specifically state that Trump had suffered from a series of small strokes.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... alter-reed

:coffee: Muy interesante.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:40 am And King George.

(CID is right though.)
It most certainly would happen in at least a regional vacuum.

The world stage might see some monetary shifting away from the dollar, and the UN would posture and that’s about it. But it is all a fantasy wet dream for Mom’s basement Maoists and Proud Boys

No other country in the world has the ability to project power across oceans, and land wars in Asia and Europe aren’t going to happen.

This is just not very well thought through and lacks any understanding of military capabilities around the world.

Add to this that the US military is quite insulated from these domestic squabbles. The entire country would need to be approaching Sarajevo status before our military would even consider getting involved. So our readiness to defend our borders and approaches will remain intact even through the worst of domestic circumstances.

Right now these shenanigans are still isolated to a few urban areas. But the minute things start to get out of hand the National Guards will be deployed. Very little muscle has been flexed with these riotous groups yet, but there is a line beyond which political leaders at local and state levels will conclude that dropping the hammer is better politically than doing nothing.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris