Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: VP debate 10/7 9 PM ECB.

Post by Ibanez »

I watched all of about 10 minute of this. A few thoughts

1) The moderator was soft on Pence and harder on Harris.
2) Harris, when answering a question about reveling the health concerns of Biden was unequivocal. Pence just stammered on and on and avoided the question.
3) Pence did a lot of stalling to avoid answering the question.
4) Harris seems to e condescending at several points but understandable as Pence kept talking over her.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:46 pm
Baldy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:27 pm Kamala looks like she wants to cry.
That and soneone needs to bitch slap those annoying smirks, laughs, and eyerolls off that coont’s face..
I noticed that...usually when Pence was lying or misrepresenting their position.

Trump does the same smirks and laughs in a debate. Why isn't he a "coont?"

Oh yeah..now I remember. :roll:
Last edited by Ibanez on Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pence forced Harris to play defense. Republicans aren’t as afraid of their own age agenda while establishment Dems stumble for that focus group answer.

But nothing revelatory was established. At least not enough to help Trump’s numbers which was to be expected.

Republican VP candidate: “America is great!”

Dem VP: “We can do better.”

Undecided voters: “Isn’t Wheel of Fortune still on?”
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:20 am Pence forced Harris to play defense. Republicans aren’t as afraid of their own age agenda while establishment Dems stumble for that focus group answer.

But nothing revelatory was established. At least not enough to help Trump’s numbers which was to be expected.

Republican VP candidate: “America is great!”

Dem VP: “We can do better.”

Undecided voters: “Isn’t Wheel of Fortune still on?”
It was on at 9pm. The Wheel was off! Idiot!
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

My take aways from what I saw...

The moderator was reading directly off the teleprompter like a child.
Harris annoyed me with her smirks and fake chuckles.
Pence is the exact kind of politician I can't stand. Perfect hair, smiling, wearing god on his sleeve.
I couldn't watch it for more than 60 seconds at a time.
The fly won.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:27 pm Image
That and soneone needs to bitch slap those annoying smirks, laughs, and eyerolls off that coont’s face..
You're right! :lol:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:02 am
I noticed that...usually when Pence was lying or misrepresenting their position.

Trump does the same smirks and laughs in a debate. Why isn't he a "coont?"

Oh yeah..now I remember. :roll:
He is.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:01 am I watched all of about 10 minute of this. A few thoughts

:suspicious:

After a couple questions it seemed to me that the moderator was cutting off Pence at the 2 minute deadline pretty hard, but not being as forceful with Harris. So I started timing the two minute responses. Twice she let Harris go over 2:10 without uttering a sound, once at 2:14 it was just a "UH"... "UH". One time she let Pence get to 2:05 without a sound. Three times she gave a loud "MR VICE PRESIDENT" at 2:01 and 2:02.

After I timed these, I kind of felt petty, but then I turned on the post-debate coverage and it was amazing how all the Dem commentators were talking about how Pence had to be told time and time again that his time was up and that people that are told that in a debate are often seen as not playing by the rules. So it is a real thing.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:19 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:01 am I watched all of about 10 minute of this. A few thoughts

After a couple questions it seemed to me that the moderator was cutting off Pence at the 2 minute deadline pretty hard, but not being as forceful with Harris. So I started timing the two minute responses. Twice she let Harris go over 2:10 without uttering a sound, once at 2:14 it was just a "UH"... "UH". One time she let Pence get to 2:05 without a sound. Three times she gave a loud "MR VICE PRESIDENT" at 2:01 and 2:02.

After I timed these, I kind of felt petty, but then I turned on the post-debate coverage and it was amazing how all the Dem commentators were talking about how Pence had to be told time and time again that his time was up and that people that are told that in a debate are often seen as not playing by the rules. So it is a real thing.
I only watched a few minutes but Pence was able to interrupt Harris but the reverse wasn't happening. Like I posted, I watched maybe 10 minutes, maybe a bit more. But from what I saw, Pence was given more latitude than Harris. There was one point where the moderator interrupted Harris, spent 5 seconds explaining the rules and that she had 15 more seconds...and then as soon as Harris said a word her time was up and Pence took over.

That said - I felt Harris was coming off as condescending at times but I think this was a reaction to Pence cutting her off and getting his way. :twocents:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:42 am I only watched a few minutes but Pence was able to interrupt Harris but the reverse wasn't happening.
Willing, not just able.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:45 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:42 am I only watched a few minutes but Pence was able to interrupt Harris but the reverse wasn't happening.
Willing, not just able.
lol Good point
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Baldy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:37 am
Which is a defense of Pence going over his time and interrupting. And that's on top of the biased questioning from the moderator, as JoltinJoe laid out.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

2) Harris, when answering a question about reveling the health concerns of Biden was unequivocal. Pence just stammered on and on and avoided the question.
4) Harris seems to e condescending at several points but understandable as Pence kept talking over her.
:suspicious: You must have been drinking heavily. When Pence went over (which granted he did about every time) she was way more forceful quicker than she was with Harris.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:19 am

Beat me to it. Biased questioning + a moderator who was more forceful with Pence (who was getting less time to speak). Anyone who thinks the moderator was harder on Harris is delusional.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:21 am

:suspicious: You must have been drinking heavily. When Pence went over (which granted he did about every time) she was way more forceful quicker than she was with Harris.
No..just an objective observer. From the 10+/- minutes I saw, Pence was given a lot of leeway.

Either way, from my perspective, Harris was a bit sassy and condescending but actually answered the question. Pence obfuscated, stalled on about 1/2 the questions I heard him answer. He was robotic and devoid of any emotion or personality. He was like Al Gore 2.0. :twocents:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:17 am
Baldy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:37 am
Which is a defense of Pence going over his time and interrupting. And that's on top of the biased questioning from the moderator, as JoltinJoe laid out.
Meh. That's a weak "defense". A deficit of 3.26 minutes only proves that Harris spoke more across X questions. Over 90 minutes of questionings, 3.26 minutes is a blip.

According to a different source the deficit is more like a few seconds

I finally got around to reading some reviews on it. Politico does a good job at calling out both parties, though on dodge #3, which I did see, Pence ignored the question altogether.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/0 ... dge-427727
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

Biden/ Harris won, because they scored the most memorable visual of the debate and will be able to leverage it into a shit ton of branded fly swatters...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

I will only say this -

I could not help but laugh at Pence's pearl-clutching over Kamala Harris about the vaccine, 'undermining the confidence of the American people' and 'playing politics with people's lives,' when that's all we've seen out of this administration during the pandemic. Fucking masks became a political issue. Public undermining of Fauci and Deborah Birx. The CDC. A reversal against the Governors' jurisdiction ("I have the ultimate authority), and then Tweeting to "FREE MICHIGAN!" after some of those very measures were taken.

Trump is the divider in chief. He gets off on it. And he's used the pandemic to do such at almost every turn.

'Playing politics with people's lives,' you withheld the information and called it a hoax!

/rant
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:11 pm /rant
Somehow I doubt that. :kisswink:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:11 pm I will only say this -

I could not help but laugh at Pence's pearl-clutching over Kamala Harris about the vaccine, 'undermining the confidence of the American people' and 'playing politics with people's lives,' when that's all we've seen out of this administration during the pandemic. Fucking masks became a political issue. Public undermining of Fauci and Deborah Birx. The CDC. A reversal against the Governors' jurisdiction ("I have the ultimate authority), and then Tweeting to "FREE MICHIGAN!" after some of those very measures were taken.

Trump is the divider in chief. He gets off on it. And he's used the pandemic to do such at almost every turn.

'Playing politics with people's lives,' you withheld the information and called it a hoax!

/rant
I would say that Trump is the disruptor in chief not the divider in chief.

To be fair, Pelosi and other Democrats haven't behaved much better. Both sides have used every opportunity to undermine the other. The irony is in watching supporters of each side sit there and point fingers and say that the other side is so much worse.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:57 pm

/rant

To be fair, Pelosi and other Democrats haven't behaved much better. Both sides have used every opportunity to undermine the other. The irony is in watching supporters of each side sit there and point fingers and say that the other side is so much worse.
One man is MUCH worse.
Go Black Bears!
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:57 pm

/rant

Don’t disagree that both sides are complicit but truly can’t fathom the reasoning behind encouraging protestors outside of state capitols, who are following national policy and state prudence - if not for the very purpose to undermine and divide.

I don’t know why Trump feels the need to comment on everything - from calling NFL players sons of bitches to boycotting Goodyear, if not for the very purpose to undermine and divide.

Divider in Chief.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Didn't watch any of it. Saw a CNN headline claiming it was a draw so I assume Pence won.

Oh and regarding the lack of an answer on packing the court, here you go: