Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Liberal Facism

Post by Col Hogan »

First, a definition from the Cambridge Dictionary
fascism
noun [ U ] POLITICS (also Fascism)
US /ˈfæʃ.ɪ.zəm/ UK /ˈfæʃ.ɪ.zəm/

a political system based on a very powerful leader, state control, and being extremely proud of country and race, and in which political opposition is not allowed
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dic ... sh/fascism

Now, the example:

Loudoun County is a Washington DC suburb in Northern VA (NOVA). The Loudoun County School Board is getting ready to vote on a new code of conduct.
According to a draft of a policy, “Any comments that are not in alignment with the school division’s commitment to action-oriented equity practices” will be subject to punishment.

The proposed change would cover all communication by Loudoun County Schools’ employees, on campus or off, by telephone, in person, or on social media,” according to a report from West Nova News.

In addition, any kind of speech perceived as “undermining the views, positions, goals, policies or public statements” of Superintendent Eric Williams or the school board will not be tolerated.

Employees will be directed to report anyone who does not follow the guidelines.
https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/10/06/ ... kifQ%3D%3D

Why the need for such a radical code of conduct that most likely violates the 1st Amendment rights of employees? The Loudoun County school board is implementing critical race theory. Now, they add to their document that they have no intention of violating any 1st Amendment rights, but go on to add a “but”...

... however, based upon an individualized inquiry, speech, including but not limited to via social media, on matters of public concern may be outweighed by the school division’s interest in the following.”

The following includes: “Achieving consistent application of the board’s and superintendent’s stated mission, goals, policies and directives, including protected class equity, racial equity, and the goal to root out systemic racism.”

Again, this does not just apply when staff are working in an official capacity at school, but whenever they say or do anything on campus or off.
So, ANYTHING said, even in the privacy of your home, that does not support the superintendent’s stated goals, and is reported, could cost you your job...

That’s facism, pure and simple...

Change my mind... :coffee:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Liberal Facism

Post by GannonFan »

It's almost like they pulled it from the Alien and Sedition Acts. Maybe they got the wrong message from the John Adams miniseries on HBO awhile back? But yes, while the alt-right has all the makings of facism in terms of national pride, the ctrl-left is perhaps even more fascist with its demand for adherence to doctrine. Either way, political discourse in this country certainly has been stymied by both sides of the aisle.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:32 am
fascism

a political system based on a very powerful leader, state control, and being extremely proud of country and race, and in which political opposition is not allowed

Now, the example:

Loudoun County is a Washington DC suburb in Northern VA (NOVA). The Loudoun County School Board is getting ready to vote on a new code of conduct.
According to a draft of a policy, “Any comments that are not in alignment with the school division’s commitment to action-oriented equity practices” will be subject to punishment.

The proposed change would cover all communication by Loudoun County Schools’ employees, on campus or off, by telephone, in person, or on social media,” according to a report from West Nova News.

In addition, any kind of speech perceived as “undermining the views, positions, goals, policies or public statements” of Superintendent Eric Williams or the school board will not be tolerated.

Why the need for such a radical code of conduct that most likely violates the 1st Amendment rights of employees? The Loudoun County school board is implementing critical race theory. Now, they add to their document that they have no intention of violating any 1st Amendment rights, but go on to add a “but”...

... however, based upon an individualized inquiry, speech, including but not limited to via social media, on matters of public concern may be outweighed by the school division’s interest in the following.”

The following includes: “Achieving consistent application of the board’s and superintendent’s stated mission, goals, policies and directives, including protected class equity, racial equity, and the goal to root out systemic racism.”

Again, this does not just apply when staff are working in an official capacity at school, but whenever they say or do anything on campus or off.
So, ANYTHING said, even in the privacy of your home, that does not support the superintendent’s stated goals, and is reported, could cost you your job...

Small shrimp.

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't think the policy is a good idea but it's not a violation of the First Amendment. It's just rules you have to follow if you want to be an employee of that schools system. To me, if an employer should be able to set any condition it wants to. Nobody is being prohibited from saying what they want to say. They're just being told that they can't say certain things if they want to work for that employer.

And I've always been that way. It's a very conservative outlook. You don't have a "right" to have an employer employ you. It's a mutual agreed upon relationship where you give your service to the employer and the employer gives you compensation in exchange. Either you or the employer should be able to terminate the relationship for any reason.

If you don't like it, don't work for that employer.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:33 pm
I don't think the policy is a good idea but it's not a violation of the First Amendment. It's just rules you have to follow if you want to be an employee of that schools system. To me, if an employer should be able to set any condition it wants to. Nobody is being prohibited from saying what they want to say. They're just being told that they can't say certain things if they want to work for that employer.

And I've always been that way. It's a very conservative outlook. You don't have a "right" to have an employer employ you. It's a mutual agreed upon relationship where you give your service to the employer and the employer gives you compensation in exchange. Either you or the employer should be able to terminate the relationship for any reason.

And apparently in DC you give yourself to your employer 24/7/365. :suspicious:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:42 pm
JohnStOnge wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:33 pm

In my opinion your employer has the right to say that if you want to work for it you can't get caught saying whatever it is ever. It's a condition of employment. If you don't like it, don't work for that employer. If the employer says you can't say certain things and work for it you have the option to resign. You can say the benefit of employment is not sufficient to accept the condition of employment.

A First Amendment issue is something like government saying you will be arrested if you say something. This is not a First Amendment issue.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:08 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:

In my opinion your employer has the right to say that if you want to work for it you can't get caught saying whatever it is ever. It's a condition of employment. If you don't like it, don't work for that employer. If the employer says you can't say certain things and work for it you have the option to resign. You can say the benefit of employment is not sufficient to accept the condition of employment.

A First Amendment issue is something like government saying you will be arrested if you say something. This is not a First Amendment issue.
If you don’t see the problem with this and the slippery slope it invites, You really have lost your marbles.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

A private employer...maybe...

But this is a government agency...

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

You know its bad when even the liberal teacher’s union objects..
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:01 pm
JohnStOnge wrote:

That’s what elections are for.

Wait...that suggests democracy and we all know how dangerous democracy is... :hide:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GD double post.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:04 pm
You know its bad when even the liberal teacher’s union objects..
They're protecting their members. Just like the police unions protect their members. The battle lines between the woke ctrl-left and organized labor are expanding and will continue to expand.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:12 pm
Col Hogan wrote:

That’s what elections are for.

Wait...that suggests democracy and we all know how dangerous democracy is... :hide:
Sounds more like a dictatorship.

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

GannonFan wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:56 pm
It's almost like they pulled it from the Alien and Sedition Acts. Maybe they got the wrong message from the John Adams miniseries on HBO awhile back? But yes, while the alt-right has all the makings of facism in terms of national pride, the ctrl-left is perhaps even more fascist with its demand for adherence to doctrine. Either way, political discourse in this country certainly has been stymied by both sides of the aisle.
All true, but one key difference between the two needs to be pointed out...one has entrenched power in most of the mainstream media, big tech, and higher ed. The other side has a clownish president who is more about himself than any ideology. The woke are not "the resistance", they are the Empire.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:22 pm
JohnStOnge wrote:

If you don’t see the problem with this and the slippery slope it invites, You really have lost your marbles.
I didn't say I like it. But it happens all the time. People express an opinion on Facebook or something like that and they get fired. I wish the culture wasn't like that.

But I think an employee/employer relationship is a transactional relationship. It's an exchange. Either side of the relationship should be able to terminate it for any reason they want.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Col Hogan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

That doesn't change anything in my view. It's still and employee/employer relationship. The employer should be able to set the conditions for employment then if the employee doesn't like them they are free to disassociate.
Could I ever be a star?

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote:
fascism

Now, the example:

Sounds like the GOP right now. Dissent will not be tolerated! :coffee:

But seriously, folks. I agree with GF - it reads like Sedition and we all know how well that worked out. Freedom of Speech includes things you don't like. If you can't take criticism, then you don't belong in a public position.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:51 am
Col Hogan wrote:

Now, the example:

But seriously, folks. I agree with GF - it reads like Sedition and we all know how well that worked out. Freedom of Speech includes things you don't like. If you can't take criticism, then you don't belong in a public position.
There’s only one party that doesn’t allow dissent and it’s not the GOP. Not sure where you’re getting that impression. Unless that :coffee: is mean to imply sarcasm..... :suspicious:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:37 pm
Ibanez wrote:

There’s only one party that doesn’t allow dissent and it’s not the GOP. Not sure where you’re getting that impression. Unless that :coffee: is mean to imply sarcasm..... :suspicious:
The term RINO implies that dissent is frowned upon or worse. What do Uumpa Truumpas think of Romney or Justin Amash?

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Ibanez wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

Now, the example:

Yea, the Democrats are a big tent, allowing dissent from their positions...

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020 ... nsure-vot/

https://wpln.org/post/tennessee-democra ... ry-ballot/

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

:suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious:
Um...take a look around Tom. Any Republican that speaks up against Trump is a traitor. Anyone that has the gall to have a difference of opinion gets called out as a traitor, a loser, blah blah blah. Both sides are guilty, pal. The fact that you don't see that is quite telling.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:03 pm
Ibanez wrote:

Lisa Murkowski spoke out and Trump comes out hours later that he'll campaign against her. Same thing happened with Liz Cheney. And John McCain. And Jeff Flake. And Mitt Romney. Republicans don't like dissent anymore than Democrats.

And every time that's brought up, you all say, " They weren't real Republicans, anyway." :roll:

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Ibanez wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:04 pm
Col Hogan wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Lisa Murkowski spoke out and Trump comes out hours later that he'll campaign against her. Same thing happened with Liz Cheney. And John McCain. And Jeff Flake. And Mitt Romney. Republicans don't like dissent anymore than Democrats.

And every time that's brought up, you all say, " They weren't real Republicans, anyway." :roll:
Who’s y’all, Kemp Sahbee???

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:12 pm
Ibanez wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Who’s y’all, Kemp Sahbee???
Republicans.

But it's been all over this board for 4 years. BDK, AG1 have said it. I've seen it on TV. I hear it from my MAGA brothers and high school friends.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:42 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:

The term RINO implies that dissent is frowned upon or worse. What do Uumpa Truumpas think of Romney or Justin Amash?
Couldn’t tell you. I don’t like any of ‘em. :coffee: :coffee: