7%

Total votes: 29

DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: The Voting Poll about Voting

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 am For myself or the many dead people that I represent on election day? And for which address? Oregon or Illinois? ;)
Oregon, IL
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

How do you all get notified of your ballot?

Multnomah County will send texts when:

- Your ballot is out for delivery
- Your ballot has been dropped off
- Your ballot has been received
- Your ballot has been counted
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:38 am How do you all get notified of your ballot?

Taylor Negron tells me...

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:38 am How do you all get notified of your ballot?

Notifed of your ballot? :suspicious:

You walk into the polling place. You vote.
Or you fill out an application for an absentee ballot by the deadline to request one, receive it in the mail, fill it out, and mail it in before election day. There are no other notifications.

In the past for an absentee ballot request form you had to state you were going to be out of town on election day, or were physically unable to go to the polls. Now anyone can request an absentee ballot with no reason needed. Simple.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I used to vote in person, now I drop it off at a poll on election day.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

I’ll always vote in person on election day (unless know am going to be out of town or became physically incapacitated and had to request an absentee). What I’ve done, what my parents did, what my grandparents did, etc. What we’ve been doing for 200 something years. Its as American as apple pie..
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I did at home for the primary this year. They told me when my application for a ballot was received, when the application was accepted, and they emailed me when my ballot was received (after I voted). I was supposed to get an e-mail when it was sent out for delivery but never got that one, nor did I get one that it was officially counted.

PA is kinda new to mail in ballots, at least at this level of magnitude. I'm sure they have a ways to go to get better at it. Hey, but progress. Up until the 2016 election, we voted with voting machines that tallied our votes the moment we pulled the arm to retract the curtain around the machine. There was no way to tell if your vote(s) were counted correctly and, as Jill Stein found out, there was literally no way to conduct a recount. All the machines had at the end of the day were tallies for each of the races. The recount consisted of "yup, the number on the dial is still the same as the last time we checked". We're back to paper ballots now and filling in circles. At least something you can recount. Still would like a positive acknowledgement that my vote was tallied but baby steps.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 am

Notifed of your ballot? :suspicious:

You walk into the polling place. You vote.
Or you fill out an application for an absentee ballot by the deadline to request one, receive it in the mail, fill it out, and mail it in before election day. There are no other notifications.

In the past for an absentee ballot request form you had to state you were going to be out of town on election day, or were physically unable to go to the polls. Now anyone can request an absentee ballot with no reason needed. Simple.
We are a mail-in default state. You are registered when you get your license.

I don't know why being notified of the status of a crucial document is so suspicious to you?
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

In person and early. Regular precinct is about 2- 2 1/2 blocks away. Early voting spot for me this year is about the same distance away, in a different direction.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:37 am I’ll always vote in person on election day (unless know am going to be out of town or became physically incapacitated and had to request an absentee). What I’ve done, what my parents did, what my grandparents did, etc. What we’ve been doing for 200 something years. Its as American as apple pie..
Then it should be a national holiday.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:25 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:37 am I’ll always vote in person on election day (unless know am going to be out of town or became physically incapacitated and had to request an absentee). What I’ve done, what my parents did, what my grandparents did, etc. What we’ve been doing for 200 something years. Its as American as apple pie..
I din’t disagree, but we’ve already got a nice even 10 national holidays. Conbine it with a current holiday like Columbus Day, Veterans Day, MLK Day, or President’s Day. Have the polls open on that weekday holiday, and one weekend day.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:43 pm
DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:25 pm

I din’t disagree, but we’ve already got a nice even 10 national holidays. Conbine it with a current holiday like Columbus Day, Veterans Day, MLK Day, or President’s Day. Have the polls open on that weekday holiday, and one weekend day.
Right, and it's not.
So for those who are working, in school, impaired, worried about COVID, etc - mail-in continues to prove itself as a viable option, as it has in OR for 22 years.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

How does Oregon verify it's you on the ballot? Do they compare signatures on the ballot with something on file? If it doesn't match does the person get notified? The NPR segment I heard on the Utah one has them ask for the voter to come in and verify a ballot if there's a discrepancy with the signature. Curious what they do in Oregon.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:14 pm

How does Oregon verify it's you on the ballot? Do they compare signatures on the ballot with something on file? If it doesn't match does the person get notified? The NPR segment I heard on the Utah one has them ask for the voter to come in and verify a ballot if there's a discrepancy with the signature. Curious what they do in Oregon.
It is signature comparison. Two sets of eyes and a computer verfication system.
Each envelope has a unique barcode. If yours gets sent to an old address or you request a new one, the old barcode is immediately invalid.

I'll need to do more research on what happens if yours is deemed invalid. I imagine it would be part of the text notification system, since that confirms whether or not you're accepted/rejected.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:28 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:14 pm

Each envelope has a unique barcode. If yours gets sent to an old address or you request a new one, the old barcode is immediately invalid.

I'll need to do more research on what happens if yours is deemed invalid. I imagine it would be part of the text notification system, since that confirms whether or not you're accepted/rejected.
I like that. I'm good with the mature mail in voting systems - ones that have been in operation for years are pretty well developed and field tested by now. I worry about the ones that decided to go all in on this with about a month or two of preparation. Like I said, in PA we just decided to have real, recountable ballots in just the last election (2018) - going full-in mail balloting with just a snap of the fingers is not something PA is particularly equipped to do well.
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:32 pm
DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:28 pm

I like that. I'm good with the mature mail in voting systems - ones that have been in operation for years are pretty well developed and field tested by now. I worry about the ones that decided to go all in on this with about a month or two of preparation. Like I said, in PA we just decided to have real, recountable ballots in just the last election (2018) - going full-in mail balloting with just a snap of the fingers is not something PA is particularly equipped to do well.
Here's a good article on its simplicity from 2018, and why it's endorsed in this state by both major parties.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/electi ... ng-n930481

The turnout levels are traditionally higher as well.
I know Montana gave it a try during the primaries, and I believe it was the highest primary turnout ever.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Serious question.... do you think more votes = a better election?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:39 pm Serious question.... do you think more votes = a better election?
What's the criteria for a better election?

I think more involvement is always a good thing. People should be encouraged to vote, regardless of their affiliation.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:18 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:39 pm Serious question.... do you think more votes = a better election?

I think more involvement is always a good thing. People should be encouraged to vote, regardless of their affiliation.
Agreed.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 am For myself or the many dead people that I represent on election day? And for which address? Oregon or Illinois? ;)
Yes
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:18 pm

+100000
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:23 pm
Yes
I gave up on voting for dead people in Illinois. Madigan has an army of AFSCME and other union zombies out prowling the cemeteries to register voters and I couldn't compete.

For Oregon, I'm waiting for my ballot and hope it doesn't get hosed up by my move.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:54 pm For Oregon, I'm waiting for my ballot and hope it doesn't get hosed up by my move.
Thank Louis DeJoy
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

County Courthouse about 1 mile away.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:11 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:54 pm For Oregon, I'm waiting for my ballot and hope it doesn't get hosed up by my move.
Thank Louis DeJoy
It's because I recently updated my registration info with my new address. It's a question of whether the state update it in time or will they hose it up. I have more faith in the mail being delivered to the new house than I did to the apartment.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm