I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Voter Suppresion - Georgia

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:47 am
GannonFan wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:08 am
I mean, Pelosi just accused CNN of being GOP apologists
She went nuts on Wolf yesterday or the day before. She is one ugly person. :ohno:
I saw the video playing on their website but didn't watch? She unloaded on the Blitz?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:54 am
GannonFan wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:57 am

No, an honest question. Voter suppression is assumed to be a solid fact, and those images of the long lines of voters in Georgia were beamed worldwide as absolute proof of that suppression. Being an engineer, I like to fix things, so my question was 1) was that voter suppression? 2) what caused that alleged voter suppression to happen and 3) what needs to change so that we don't have that happen again. Like most things political, there's a lot of casting about of name-calling and accusations and very little substance, and certainly no attempt to fix, things that might be wrong.
The suppression typically occurs WAY before the polls open so no, the long lines are not suppression, they’re symptoms.

Observers using Election Day intimidation tactics and illegal vote accounting would be suppression.
kalm got one right. :thumb: :lol:

If the people waiting in line do not get to vote, then come see me. Otherwise :coffee:

Go back to that same spot two weeks from now and there won't be anyone there.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:04 am
GannonFan wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:57 am

No, an honest question. Voter suppression is assumed to be a solid fact, and those images of the long lines of voters in Georgia were beamed worldwide as absolute proof of that suppression. Being an engineer, I like to fix things, so my question was 1) was that voter suppression? 2) what caused that alleged voter suppression to happen and 3) what needs to change so that we don't have that happen again. Like most things political, there's a lot of casting about of name-calling and accusations and very little substance, and certainly no attempt to fix, things that might be wrong.
Oh, I didn't read it as suppression. Just some good ole voting.

With polls howing Biden up 7pts in Ga, you'd think CNN and their ilk would have a more positive spin on it.
Because there aren’t pollS showing Biden up 7 in FL. There’s one (not plural as you stated) outlier poll showing Biden up by 7, among the other 6 where 4 have Trump up by 1-2, and 2 that have Biden up by 1-2.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6974.html
BLM: Burning Looting Marxists

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:49 am
Ibanez wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:04 am

Oh, I didn't read it as suppression. Just some good ole voting.

With polls howing Biden up 7pts in Ga, you'd think CNN and their ilk would have a more positive spin on it.
Because there aren’t pollS showing Biden up 7 in FL. There’s one (not plural as you stated) outlier poll showing Biden up by 7, among the other 6 where 4 have Trump up by 1-2, and 2 that have Biden up by 1-2.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6974.html
Pedantic - adj. See BDK :roll:

What time frame are you looking at? 10 polls within the past 4-5 wks go for Trump, 1 Tie and 5 for Biden.The only one that repeats, Quinnipiac, shows Biden +4 then +7. 5 polls in Oct, 3 show Biden ahead. The margins of error can have either candidate wildly ahead of behind. There's no clear "winner". It's going to be a tight election.

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

GA Sec. of State Raffensperger Reports Record Turnout

Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger announced this afternoon at 5:00 p.m. the latest turnout figures for the November 3 General Election:
  • Total requests for absentee ballots to date: 1,609,702
  • Total absentee ballots accepted by counties to date: 541,396
  • Daily number of in-person early-voting ballots cast today as of 5 p.m.: 137,011
https://www.georgiapol.com/2020/10/15/g ... d-turnout/

Suppression. :coffee:

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:32 am
89Hen wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:47 am

She went nuts on Wolf yesterday or the day before. She is one ugly person. :ohno:
I saw the video playing on their website but didn't watch? She unloaded on the Blitz?
Pelosi went off the rails claiming CNN was an apologist for Trump. You can't make this up.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:34 pm
Ibanez wrote:

Pelosi went off the rails claiming CNN was an apologist for Trump. You can't make this up.

Well if Pelsoi says CNN is an apologist for the Republicans then it must be so. :lol: :lol:

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I might be missing something, but believe this topic was already covered. If I remember correctly, these voting areas always have election problems. The issue is who is running them locally, not Republican suppression.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:50 am
I might be missing something, but believe this topic was already covered. If I remember correctly, these voting areas always have election problems. The issue is who is running them locally, not Republican suppression.
I don't think that's the issue at all. There were some tech glitches, which were resolved and long lines due to voter enthusiasm and beginning on a holiday. One part of the problem is that Ga did reduce the # of polling locations which could be exacerbating the issue. It's just a confluence of events.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:53 am
SeattleGriz wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:50 am
I don't think that's the issue at all. There were some tech glitches, which were resolved and long lines due to voter enthusiasm and beginning on a holiday. One part of the problem is that Ga did reduce the # of polling locations which could be exacerbating the issue. It's just a confluence of events.
I'm sure there may be other factors, but what did these polling areas look like during the last election? Sounds like it's the same area, having the same problems.

I'm not informed on this topic, just guessing.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:24 am
Ibanez wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:53 am

I'm sure there may be other factors, but what did these polling areas look like during the last election? Sounds like it's the same area, having the same problems.

I'm not informed on this topic, just guessing.
I'm not sure either. Like I said, it sounds like so many things happening at once on top of a bitter and divisive election. Earlier in the year, there was a problem with the new voting machines, human error (poll managers had the wrong access codes). Provisional ballots ran out for those that couldn't get the machines working. Also take into account voting locations were relocated or closed due to COVID. Individual counties have consolidated something like 200+ locations in the past 10 years, for financial reasons, with no oversight on the part of the state. I'm not sure it's suppression but Georgia certainly can't get its shit together. It's not like this is its first...or even 100th election.

The first day of early voting fell on a federal holiday Monday, and despite locations only being open in 110 of Georgia's 159 counties, voters shattered the previous day-one record set in 2016 by more than 37,000 votes. A combined 242,000 voters turned out to vote during the first two days, and including the record-breaking absentee ballot returns, more than 740,000 voters -- over 10% of Georgia's electorate -- have already cast their ballots for the general election.

There is agreement, however, that the strong voter turnout this week helped lead to long lines, with wait times reaching five hours -- or even longer -- at some locations in the state's largest counties. While checking in workers, election officials experienced delays with the technology due to “bandwidth issues,” Raffensperger said.

Because of coronavirus, there are limits on the number of voting machines at each location to avoid too many people being inside at one time, and long lines end up looking even longer because voters are social distancing.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/georgia ... d=73577706

It also doesn't' help that you have morons request an absentee ballot and then SHOW UP to vote.
Voters who have requested absentee ballots are also showing up to vote in person, and that not only causes more stress on the check in system, but also takes more time, as the election workers need to go through a process to cancel that voters' absentee ballot.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Its simple: you have 3 weeks of early voting with limite polling places open, but had too many people trying to go on the 1st couple days, on top of the often early glitches & snafus.

If the people that voted early would be roughly evenly spread out over 3 weeks, I bet there would be no wait times at all. I have zero sympathy for people who insist on voting early on the 1st day or 2 of 3 weeks of early voting, then complain about wait times. Go during the 2nd or 3rd week. Or at least the end of the 1st week.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:15 pm
Its simple: you have 3 weeks of early voting with limite polling places open, but had too many people trying to go on the 1st couple days, on top of the often early glitches & snafus.

If the people that voted early would be roughly evenly spread out over 3 weeks, I bet there would be no wait times at all. I have zero sympathy for people who insist on voting early on the 1st day or 2 of 3 weeks of early voting, then complain about wait times. Go during the 2nd or 3rd week. Or at least the end of the 1st week.
VOTER SUPPRESSION!!!!!
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Just got around to watching this. Wow...Lol she loses it, shaking and stammering... :lol:

She knows more about the suffering of the American people, yeah with her $12 a quart or whatever it was ice cream, and closure of beauty salons don't apply to her..

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:47 pm
SDHornet wrote:

Just got around to watching this. Wow...Lol she loses it, shaking and stammering... :lol:

She knows more about the suffering of the American people, yeah with her $12 a quart or whatever it was ice cream, and closure of beauty salons don't apply to her..
You think a Billionaire that grew up a millionaire knows any bette? :suspicious:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI
A.K.A.: Unification88

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:06 pm
BDKJMU wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:47 pm

You think a Billionaire that grew up a millionaire knows any better? :suspicious:
What proof is there that he's actually a billionaire other than the word of a serial liar?

Pelosi and Trump are peas in a pod. They've both been spouting bullsh!t for so long that they actually believe it.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:14 pm
Ibanez wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:06 pm

You think a Billionaire that grew up a millionaire knows any better? :suspicious:
What proof is there that he's actually a billionaire other than the word of a serial liar?

Pelosi and Trump are peas in a pod. They've both been spouting bullsh!t for so long that they actually believe it.
They're both proof that old people should get out of government. Trump is a buffoon and Pelosi is 80 years old and if anything seems older than that. It's time to hang it up and go home, yet we're littered with old doddering candidates. And you can throw Biden in there of course - he exhibited last night the kind of energy I expect out of a near 80 year old who's up that late at night. Gotta move on from this generation at some point.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:13 pm
UNI88 wrote:

They're both proof that old people should get out of government. Trump is a buffoon and Pelosi is 80 years old and if anything seems older than that. It's time to hang it up and go home, yet we're littered with old doddering candidates. And you can throw Biden in there of course - he exhibited last night the kind of energy I expect out of a near 80 year old who's up that late at night. Gotta move on from this generation at some point.
:nod:

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

Maybe there ought to be an UPPER age limit PLUS term limits. Aged 65 or 12 years service, whichever comes first. Getting tired of people born during FDR’s presidency (or before) telling us how we should live our lives and making policy.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

There's something wrong with DC and we need to change it. Otherwise why would all these 80 years olds hang on like they do? They're worth millions and yet they run again or hang on to a Supreme Court seat when they should be home enjoying their grandkids.

Makes me wonder how much of the stuff coming out now about the Bidens is rampant with others in DC.....
All my posts are satire.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:20 pm
GannonFan wrote:

There's something wrong with DC and we need to change it. Otherwise why would all these 80 years olds hang on like they do? They're worth millions and yet they run again or hang on to a Supreme Court seat when they should be home enjoying their grandkids.

Makes me wonder how much of the stuff coming out now about the Bidens is rampant with others in DC.....
They don’t call it a swamp for nothing. :coffee: :coffee:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:25 pm
GannonFan wrote:

Maybe there ought to be an UPPER age limit PLUS term limits. Aged 65 or 12 years service, whichever comes first. Getting tired of people born during FDR’s presidency (or before) telling us how we should live our lives and making policy.
Heaven forbid they might remember an America at its zenith and the sacrifices made to get there.

I see as much dumbassery from young politicians as I do from the old crusty ones.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

https://hometownupdates.com/2020/10/14/ ... officials/
Less than three weeks before Election Day, the leader of DeKalb’s Democratic Party is calling for his county’s elections board chairman and elections director to resign.
DeKalb Democrats chairman John Jackson told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution as much this week, after long lines were reported at some of the county’s early voting locations. But his comments reflect a long-simmering frustration among many DeKalb officials and political observers, who have questioned the county’s ability to conduct a smooth Nov. 3 election.
“The money is there, they’ve had time to fix this,” Jackson said. “And it’s just horribly upsetting.”

The county was recently selected for a $4.8 million grant from the Center for Tech and Civic Life, an award that officials hope will pay for things like more poll workers and more voting equipment, expanded voting sites and personal protective equipment. They have a short window to work with.
Hmm. Thought these complaints sounded familiar.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:25 pm
GannonFan wrote:

Stop voting for old people. Problem solved.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

As the presidential election headed into the final stretch in late summer, counties in Ohio and Pennsylvania worried that a deluge of absentee ballot requests would swamp their printing capacity. So dozens of them contracted with Midwest Direct, a Cleveland mailing company.

But when it came time to print and ship Ohio ballots early last week, it was Midwest Direct that was overwhelmed. Several Ohio counties that expected absentee ballots printed by the company to land in voters’ mailboxes are now scrambling to print them themselves or find a last-minute contingency plan less than three weeks before Election Day.

In Pennsylvania, for instance, nearly 30,000 ballots sent to voters in Allegheny County, which includes Pittsburgh, went to the wrong addresses.

https://news.yahoo.com/ohio-printing-co ... 18596.html

Gosh dang Trump supporters...