Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Psychology of Trump Supporters

Post by JohnStOnge »

This is from 2018 but good:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... qeq5XR45Mo

Some good quotes:
Science has shown that the conservative brain has an exaggerated fear response when faced with stimuli that may be perceived as threatening.
These brain responses are automatic and not influenced by logic or reason. As long as Trump continues to portray Muslims and Hispanic immigrants as imminent threats, many conservative brains will involuntarily light up like light bulbs being controlled by a switch.
By constantly emphasizing existential threat, Trump may be creating a psychological condition that makes the brain respond positively rather than negatively to bigoted statements and divisive rhetoric.
Some who support Donald Trump are under-informed or misinformed about the issues at hand. When Trump tells them that crime is skyrocketing in the United States, or that the economy is the worst it’s ever been, they simply take his word for it.
These Trump supporters are experiencing relative deprivation, and are common among the swing states like Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. This kind of deprivation is specifically referred to as “relative,” as opposed to “absolute,” because the feeling is often based on a skewed perception of what one is entitled to.
It would be grossly unfair and inaccurate to say that every one of Trump’s supporters have prejudice against ethnic and religious minorities, but it would be equally inaccurate to say that few do.
While the conspiracy theory crowd — who predominantly support Donald Trump and crackpot allies like Alex Jones and the shadowy QAnon — may appear to just be an odd quirk of modern society, some of them may suffer from psychological illnesses that involve paranoia and delusions, such as schizophrenia, or are at least vulnerable to them, like those with schizotypy personalities...

Donald Trump and media allies target these people directly. All one has to do is visit alt-right websites and discussion boards to see the evidence for such manipulation.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Psychology of Trump Supporters

Post by Winterborn »

:coffee:
Hillary Clinton Supporters – 6 Psychological Reasons Why
1) Compartmentalization/Denial (i.e., Vote party and compartmentalize her actions thus denial of the entire Hillary. As such, embrace only and see only what one wants and yearns to see which is seeing portions of Hillary. e.g., Ignore actions such as pay to play).

2) Separation of Self (i.e., The perceived belief that Hillary’s corrupt actions won’t affect one’s own self and one’s family personally. Wanting the other items one believes Hillary represents, with blinders on, seeing those items only).

3) Rationalization (i.e., The belief that all politicians lie and therefore her lies are ok. The rationalization that since she wasn’t convicted for her proven wrongs, then her actions are not so bad).

4) Externalization (i.e., a. Blame others for observable problems, e.g., right wing conspiracy, and/or b. Re-direct the problem focus onto a different topic within the opposing candidate; Trump).

5) Stability vs Visionary (i.e., A perception of safety and security by keeping the familiar for it feels stable vs fear of the unknown. Thus not allowing one’s self to consider the unfamiliar as an option. The imagination/vision for what can be is experienced as fearful for the alternative possible reality to what is familiar is deemed unstable when unfamiliar).

6) Rose Colored Glasses (i.e., The memory of whom one remembers believing Hillary to have been along with what one thought she represented, and as such holding onto this rosy visual, rather than seeing her through the lens of whom she has become).
https://www.drkarenruskin.com/hillary-c ... asons-why/
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:22 pm :coffee:
1) Compartmentalization/Denial (i.e., Vote party and compartmentalize her actions thus denial of the entire Hillary. As such, embrace only and see only what one wants and yearns to see which is seeing portions of Hillary. e.g., Ignore actions such as pay to play).

2) Separation of Self (i.e., The perceived belief that Hillary’s corrupt actions won’t affect one’s own self and one’s family personally. Wanting the other items one believes Hillary represents, with blinders on, seeing those items only).

3) Rationalization (i.e., The belief that all politicians lie and therefore her lies are ok. The rationalization that since she wasn’t convicted for her proven wrongs, then her actions are not so bad).

4) Externalization (i.e., a. Blame others for observable problems, e.g., right wing conspiracy, and/or b. Re-direct the problem focus onto a different topic within the opposing candidate; Trump).

5) Stability vs Visionary (i.e., A perception of safety and security by keeping the familiar for it feels stable vs fear of the unknown. Thus not allowing one’s self to consider the unfamiliar as an option. The imagination/vision for what can be is experienced as fearful for the alternative possible reality to what is familiar is deemed unstable when unfamiliar).

6) Rose Colored Glasses (i.e., The memory of whom one remembers believing Hillary to have been along with what one thought she represented, and as such holding onto this rosy visual, rather than seeing her through the lens of whom she has become).
That's nice but I'll take Psychology Today over Dr. Karen's page. Also, if the guy at Psychology Today IS a political hack, he did a much better job of disguising it than Dr. Karen did.
Could I ever be a star?

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:55 pm
That's nice but I'll take Psychology Today over Dr. Karen's page. Also, if the guy at Psychology Today IS a political hack, he did a much better job of disguising it than Dr. Karen did.
So it is okay to be a political hack if it is disguised well?

catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:22 pm :coffee:

It might just be me, but this reads the same whether I keep Hillary in all of the references or switch them all to Trump.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

catbooster wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:24 pm
It might just be me, but this reads the same whether I keep Hillary in all of the references or switch them all to Trump.
Yeah, it's amazing how bad those two candidates were and the wackiness of the people who supported them.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

That was the point. :thumb:

Everything the PhD said in the original article can be equally applied to both supporters. The article I linked was more of a jab at JSO's "research" then the facts presented.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:34 pm
Yeah, it's amazing how bad those two candidates were and the wackiness of the people who supported them.
:nod:

People will go to great lengths to prop up their particular belief system. Both sides use so called "experts" that are nothing more than paid consultants to boost the particular message being presented.

And some experts will also write papers or other articles in hopes of padding ones curriculum vitae in order to get picked up by a particular side. I have had experience with that a bit in my job.

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:59 pm
Science has shown that the conservative brain has an exaggerated fear response when faced with stimuli that may be perceived as threatening.
Oh, really?

"Trump will start a nuclear war or make himself president for life."
"Amy Coney Barrett will lead to theocracy or a ban on birth control."
"Climate change will cause human extinction."
"Nuclear power is really dangerous because of Fukushiima and Chernobyl." (in spite of the fact it's responsible for fewer deaths per power generated than any other source)
"Police are dangerous killers and you should be more afraid of them than violent criminals."
"America is a rape culture with rapists lurking behind every bush."

Sorry, but it's bullshit that fear-based demagoguery only exists on one side. And everything coming out of psychology should be taken skeptically because of it's documented problems with replication and political bias.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:04 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:55 pm

The woman began her piece with a bunch of unsubstantiated allegations. She came off like she was a flipping Republican on the Benghazi Committee.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Pwns wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:42 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Oh, really?

"Nuclear power is really dangerous because of Fukushiima and Chernobyl." (in spite of the fact it's responsible for fewer deaths per power generated than any other source)
"Police are dangerous killers and you should be more afraid of them than violent criminals."

Sorry, but it's bullshit that fear-based demagoguery only exists on one side. And everything coming out of psychology should be taken skeptically because of it's documented problems with replication and political bias.
Remember I am indeed a conservative. But I still love this from 2011:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... tudy-finds
Peering inside the brain with MRI scans, researchers at University College London found that self-described conservative students had a larger amygdala than liberals.

The amygdala is an almond-shaped structure deep in the brain that is active during states of fear and anxiety. Liberals had more gray matter at least in the anterior cingulate cortex, a region of the brain that helps people cope with complexity.
In other words:

Conservative = fear driven
Liberal = able to cope with complexity

:lol:
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Anyone want to take the over/under on how long Trump continues to live rent free in JSO's head?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That was my take as well!!!
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:53 pm

Oh, really?

Peering inside the brain with MRI scans, researchers at University College London found that self-described conservative students had a larger amygdala than liberals.

The amygdala is an almond-shaped structure deep in the brain that is active during states of fear and anxiety. Liberals had more gray matter at least in the anterior cingulate cortex, a region of the brain that helps people cope with complexity.
In other words:

Yes, that’s why the left has literally been apoplectic for four solid years, literally unable to compose a coherent thought, and the vast majority of Trump supporters got up on Wednesday and went to work.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:50 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:04 pm

The woman began her piece with a bunch of unsubstantiated allegations. She came off like she was a flipping Republican on the Benghazi Committee.
You didn't answer my question. :coffee:

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Yes, that’s why the left has literally been apoplectic for four solid years, literally unable to compose a coherent thought, and the vast majority of Trump supporters got up on Wednesday and went to work.
Actions speak louder than words. Apparently the boarded up stores weren't there in case Trump lost.

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

In fairness, the Republican "fear center" would explain why you see conservatives yelling at liberals for not wearing masks all the time. And why GOP governors are more adamant about lockdowns.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Pwns wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:00 pm In fairness, the Republican "fear center" would explain why you see conservatives yelling at liberals for not wearing masks all the time. And why GOP governors are more adamant about lockdowns.
Two more excellent examples. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Oh, really?

In other words:

This might be correct for true liberals but the ctrl-left is illiberal. Liberals by definition are 1. willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas. and/or 2. relating to or denoting a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise. Today's pseudo-progressives do not accept behavior or opinions different from their own and they do not promote individual rights, civil liberties or free enterprise.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:53 pm Anyone want to take the over/under on how long Trump continues to live rent free in JSO's head?
There seems to be plenty of room there...probably for a long while.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Oh, really?

In other words:

Quoting psychology work. :ohno:
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:52 pm

In other words:

This might be correct for true liberals but the ctrl-left is illiberal. Liberals by definition are 1. willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas. and/or 2. relating to or denoting a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise. Today's pseudo-progressives do not accept behavior or opinions different from their own and they do not promote individual rights, civil liberties or free enterprise.
I tend to agree UNI88, JSO is comparing the Alt-right to the normal liberal and not the normal conservative to the normal liberal. Just look at all the normal liberals that attempted to protest this last year, that were marred by riots from the ctrl-left.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:31 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:52 pm

I tend to agree UNI88, JSO is comparing the Alt-right to the normal liberal and not the normal conservative to the normal liberal. Just look at all the normal liberals that attempted to protest this last year, that were marred by riots from the ctrl-left.
:nod:
^^

Reasonable conservatives will at least admit Trump is a buffoon.

But the lizard brain tendencies of the conservative mind ain’t exactly a stretch.

I love debating politics but there were a few normally reserved friends who I literally had to shut down conversations with after the yelling started. :lol:

And the meme/social media fear projection and gullibility coming through messages and conversations was astounding.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:00 pm In fairness, the Republican "fear center" would explain why you see conservatives yelling at liberals for not wearing masks all the time. And why GOP governors are more adamant about lockdowns.
There were many Karen’s on the conservative side of both of these.