Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Psychology of Trump Supporters

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:59 pm This is from 2018 but good:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... qeq5XR45Mo

Some good quotes:
Science has shown that the conservative brain has an exaggerated fear response when faced with stimuli that may be perceived as threatening.
These brain responses are automatic and not influenced by logic or reason. As long as Trump continues to portray Muslims and Hispanic immigrants as imminent threats, many conservative brains will involuntarily light up like light bulbs being controlled by a switch.
By constantly emphasizing existential threat, Trump may be creating a psychological condition that makes the brain respond positively rather than negatively to bigoted statements and divisive rhetoric.
Some who support Donald Trump are under-informed or misinformed about the issues at hand. When Trump tells them that crime is skyrocketing in the United States, or that the economy is the worst it’s ever been, they simply take his word for it.
These Trump supporters are experiencing relative deprivation, and are common among the swing states like Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. This kind of deprivation is specifically referred to as “relative,” as opposed to “absolute,” because the feeling is often based on a skewed perception of what one is entitled to.
It would be grossly unfair and inaccurate to say that every one of Trump’s supporters have prejudice against ethnic and religious minorities, but it would be equally inaccurate to say that few do.
While the conspiracy theory crowd — who predominantly support Donald Trump and crackpot allies like Alex Jones and the shadowy QAnon — may appear to just be an odd quirk of modern society, some of them may suffer from psychological illnesses that involve paranoia and delusions, such as schizophrenia, or are at least vulnerable to them, like those with schizotypy personalities...

Donald Trump and media allies target these people directly. All one has to do is visit alt-right websites and discussion boards to see the evidence for such manipulation.
Here’s a new Cambridge study on the topic.

Not surprising.

“Our brains hold clues for the ideologies we choose to live by, according to research, which has suggested that people who espouse extremist attitudes tend to perform poorly on complex mental tasks.

Researchers from the University of Cambridge sought to evaluate whether cognitive disposition – differences in how information is perceived and processed – sculpt ideological world-views such as political, nationalistic and dogmatic beliefs, beyond the impact of traditional demographic factors like age, race and gender.....

Participants who are prone to dogmatism – stuck in their ways and relatively resistant to credible evidence – actually have a problem with processing evidence even at a perceptual level, the authors found.

“For example, when they’re asked to determine whether dots [as part of a neuropsychological task] are moving to the left or to the right, they just took longer to process that information and come to a decision,” Zmigrod said.........

“ It’s fascinating, because conservatism is almost a synonym for caution,” she said. “We’re seeing that – at the very basic neuropsychological level – individuals who are politically conservative … simply treat every stimuli that they encounter with caution.”

The “psychological signature” for extremism across the board was a blend of conservative and dogmatic psychologies, the researchers said.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... 1613953154
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:59 pm This is from 2018 but good:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... qeq5XR45Mo

Some good quotes:
Science has shown that the conservative brain has an exaggerated fear response when faced with stimuli that may be perceived as threatening.
These brain responses are automatic and not influenced by logic or reason. As long as Trump continues to portray Muslims and Hispanic immigrants as imminent threats, many conservative brains will involuntarily light up like light bulbs being controlled by a switch.
By constantly emphasizing existential threat, Trump may be creating a psychological condition that makes the brain respond positively rather than negatively to bigoted statements and divisive rhetoric.
Some who support Donald Trump are under-informed or misinformed about the issues at hand. When Trump tells them that crime is skyrocketing in the United States, or that the economy is the worst it’s ever been, they simply take his word for it.
These Trump supporters are experiencing relative deprivation, and are common among the swing states like Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. This kind of deprivation is specifically referred to as “relative,” as opposed to “absolute,” because the feeling is often based on a skewed perception of what one is entitled to.
It would be grossly unfair and inaccurate to say that every one of Trump’s supporters have prejudice against ethnic and religious minorities, but it would be equally inaccurate to say that few do.
While the conspiracy theory crowd — who predominantly support Donald Trump and crackpot allies like Alex Jones and the shadowy QAnon — may appear to just be an odd quirk of modern society, some of them may suffer from psychological illnesses that involve paranoia and delusions, such as schizophrenia, or are at least vulnerable to them, like those with schizotypy personalities...

Donald Trump and media allies target these people directly. All one has to do is visit alt-right websites and discussion boards to see the evidence for such manipulation.
There's not a SINGLE one of those that doesn't also apply to donk voters....so, not sure what their point was...

Donk and conk voters are two sides of the same coin. Anyone who claims otherwise has their head firmly planted up their ass.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:11 am

Not surprising.

“Our brains hold clues for the ideologies we choose to live by, according to research, which has suggested that people who espouse extremist attitudes tend to perform poorly on complex mental tasks.

Researchers from the University of Cambridge sought to evaluate whether cognitive disposition – differences in how information is perceived and processed – sculpt ideological world-views such as political, nationalistic and dogmatic beliefs, beyond the impact of traditional demographic factors like age, race and gender.....

Participants who are prone to dogmatism – stuck in their ways and relatively resistant to credible evidence – actually have a problem with processing evidence even at a perceptual level, the authors found.

“For example, when they’re asked to determine whether dots [as part of a neuropsychological task] are moving to the left or to the right, they just took longer to process that information and come to a decision,” Zmigrod said.........

“ It’s fascinating, because conservatism is almost a synonym for caution,” she said. “We’re seeing that – at the very basic neuropsychological level – individuals who are politically conservative … simply treat every stimuli that they encounter with caution.”

The “psychological signature” for extremism across the board was a blend of conservative and dogmatic psychologies, the researchers said.”

Part 2 of the study will be Nature vs. Nurture.

And then (emphasis mine)
The study, which looked at 16 different ideological orientations, could have profound implications for identifying and supporting people most vulnerable to radicalisation across the political and religious spectrum.

“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:57 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:11 am

Not surprising.

And then (emphasis mine)
The study, which looked at 16 different ideological orientations, could have profound implications for identifying and supporting people most vulnerable to radicalisation across the political and religious spectrum.

Valid concern. Ironically, closed mindedness being the hallmark of conservatism and religious fundamentalism.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:01 pm

And then (emphasis mine)

Valid concern. Ironically, closed mindedness being the hallmark of conservatism and religious fundamentalism.

What some people call a bug, others call a feature. :thumb:

And it is a interesting study from a methodology standpoint. I would be more inclined to place "faith" in their "findings" if they hadn't scripted the study for media consumption. But they were asking a valid question just too bad they didn't keep on following the bread crumbs. :ohno:

Not saying they are not right (partially right IMHO) but the study was not designed to tell the whole story but only what the authors wanted to publish. :twocents:

BTW: Did you read all the pages of the study or just the abstract? :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

And then (emphasis mine)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, alt-lefter’s are SOOOOOO open minded to a dissenting opinion or thought. THey just EMBRACE it freely and gladly. :rofl: :rofl:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:56 pm

And it is a interesting study from a methodology standpoint. I would be more inclined to place "faith" in their "findings" if they hadn't scripted the study for media consumption. But they were asking a valid question just too bad they didn't keep on following the bread crumbs. :ohno:

Not saying they are not right (partially right IMHO) but the study was not designed to tell the whole story but only what the authors wanted to publish. :twocents:

Good god...only the abstract. I'm just a casual thinker. Really quite dumb and non-detail oriented in most ways. I'm like Mel Brooks, stand up philosopher from History of the World....waiting in line at the vnemployment office of life. :ohno:

But closed mindedness is more than just a bug unless Jesus or Allah are real. And it's not always a negative thing being useful in battling the likes of wokeness, get rich quick scheming, and freedom limiting bad ideas.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:14 pm

Good god...only the abstract. I'm just a casual thinker. Really quite dumb and non-detail oriented in most ways. I'm like Mel Brooks, stand up philosopher from History of the World....waiting in line at the vnemployment office of life. :ohno:

But closed mindedness is more than just a bug unless Jesus or Allah are real. And it's not always a negative thing being useful in battling the likes of wokeness, get rich quick scheming, and freedom limiting bad ideas.
48,283 posts and Kalm finally figured out his role on CS. Attaboy but good god that's a lot of vapid, post-partisan posts. That's almost as many as AZ and you joined 2 years after him. Why doesn't Trip ever give you grief about you're not having a life? :poke: ;)

Closed-mindeness is more than a bug but by trying to tie it religion you're continuing to jump down the "but they're worse than we are" rabbithole. Isn't it closed-minded for pseudo-progressives to blindly believe in an economic theory that has failed repeatedly without being able to explain why it will work this time? Shouldn't they open the minds up and consider truly progressive new approaches? Isn't disregarding and disrespecting someone else's religious beliefs as self-righteous, arrogant and ultimately closed-minded as disregarding and disrespecting those with different or no religious beliefs? :coffee:
Last edited by UNI88 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Don't sell yourself short. :nod: You have a good bases for understanding things. :thumb:

As to your second paragraph, why not? Being too closed minded is a bad thing I would agree, but playing it safe and staying in the village/camp meant you got to be around more women and therefore had a better chance of "sowing one's oats", rather than risk it going exploring and setting off to chase some rainbow (there is a bunch of studies out there that women in general prefer stability versus being uprooted all the time). Society needs both dreamers/visionaries along with accountants/actuaries, too much of either is not good for a balanced society.
Last edited by Winterborn on Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:41 pm

48,283 posts and Kalm finally figured out his role on CS. Attaboy but good god that's a lot of vapid, post-partisan posts. That's almost as many as AZ and you joined 2 years after him. Why doesn't Trip ever give you grief about you're not having a life? :poke: ;)

Closed-mindeness is more than a bug but by trying to tie it religion you're continuing to jump down the "but they're worse than we are" rabbithole. Isn't it closed-minded for pseudo-progressives to blindly believe in an economic theory that has failed repeatedly without being able to explain why it will work this time? Shouldn't they open the minds up and consider truly progressive new approaches? Isn't disregarding and disrespecting someone else's religious beliefs as self-righteous, arrogant and ultimately closed-minded as disregarding and disrespecting those with different or no religious beliefs?
Well said. (Both paragraphs :D ) :thumb:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Closed-mindeness is more than a bug but by trying to tie it religion you're continuing to jump down the "but they're worse than we are" rabbithole. Isn't it closed-minded for pseudo-progressives to blindly believe in an economic theory that has failed repeatedly without being able to explain why it will work this time? Shouldn't they open the minds up and consider truly progressive new approaches? Isn't disregarding and disrespecting someone else's religious beliefs as self-righteous, arrogant and ultimately closed-minded as disregarding and disrespecting those with different or no religious beliefs? :coffee:
Narrow minded would also be confusing mid-20th century or Northern European social programs and tax policy with communism. :kisswink:

Regarding religion, closed mindedeness is a requirement for many if not most religions. You literally can't afford to not be. Same goes for atheism.
Disregarding and disrespecting is a different argument. Is it close minded, arrogant, and self righteous to ridicule the practice of killing in the name of apostasy?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:35 pm

Narrow minded would also be confusing mid-20th century or Northern European social programs and tax policy with communism. :kisswink:

Regarding religion, closed mindedeness is a requirement for many if not most religions. You literally can't afford to not be. Same goes for atheism.
Disregarding and disrespecting is a different argument. Is it close minded, arrogant, and self righteous to ridicule the practice of killing in the name of apostasy?
I've shown that there is reason to question whether AOChe and others simply want strong northern European social programs funded by capitalism or if their ultimate goal is to end private ownership of the means of production and distribution (socialism).

My distrust of AOChe and others is just as reasonable and valid as your and my distrust of Trump.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:16 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:35 pm

I've shown that there is reason to question whether AOChe and others simply want strong northern European social programs funded by capitalism or if their ultimate goal is to end private ownership of the means of production and distribution (socialism).

My distrust of AOChe and others is just as reasonable and valid as your and my distrust of Trump.
Nope. Not even close.

Closer if you replaced Trump with a Rand Paul or a Bob Barr.

:coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:37 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:16 pm

Nope. Not even close.

Once again, you're confusing your opinion with fact and dismissing my opinion.

I feel disrespected and excluded. Would you like to mansplain to me why I'm wrong and shouldn't feel this way? :D
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:53 am
kalm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:37 am

Nope. Not even close.

I feel disrespected and excluded. Would you like to mansplain to me why I'm wrong and shouldn't feel this way? :D
Oh...must have missed the memo on facts. I’ll continue with opinions...

Trump is not an economic purist Tax cuts and deregulation have unintended consequences. Distrust of Trump is mostly tied to leadership, personality, and disregard for law.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:53 am

Trump is not an economic purist Tax cuts and deregulation have unintended consequences. Distrust of Trump is mostly tied to leadership, personality, and disregard for law.
Trump was a populist buffoon who occasionally found a nut like a blind squirrel. AOChe is a populist buffoon who doesn't understand economics and thinks that her little corner of the country is representative of the entire country (or worse, thinks the rest of the country should be like her little corner). I don't trust either buffoon and that distrust is relatively equal despite your differing opinion.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 am
kalm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 am

Trump was a populist buffoon who occasionally found a nut like a blind squirrel. AOChe is a populist buffoon who doesn't understand economics and thinks that her little corner of the country is representative of the entire country (or worse, thinks the rest of the country should be like her little corner). I don't trust either buffoon and that distrust is relatively equal despite your differing opinion.
:nod: :nod: :nod: