Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Good and Bad news from Exit Polling

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 pm More evidence that the Republican Party has become the Party of ignorance:

Exit polling was conducted in 24 States. In 21 of the States, Biden won among people with at least a bachelors degree. In 22 States, Biden won among people with advanced degrees.

Biden won among people with at least a bachelors degree in 6 of the 9 Exit polling states that Trump won. He won among people with advanced degrees in 7 of 9 of those States.

Again: The Republican Party has become the Party of stupid.
I stopped reading right there..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:08 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 pm More evidence that the Republican Party has become the Party of ignorance:

Exit polling was conducted in 24 States. In 21 of the States, Biden won among people with at least a bachelors degree. In 22 States, Biden won among people with advanced degrees.

Biden won among people with at least a bachelors degree in 6 of the 9 Exit polling states that Trump won. He won among people with advanced degrees in 7 of 9 of those States.

Again: The Republican Party has become the Party of stupid.
I believe you don't trust anything that doesn't support your views or your political ideology. Election polling is immediately after someone votes, people are always going to lie (like some of you who said you would). So what's your problem? That it occurred or that people lie? If it's the latter, you really can't get down on the polling altogether. :twocents:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:49 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:08 pm
I believe you don't trust anything that doesn't support your views or your political ideology. Election polling is immediately after someone votes, people are always going to lie (like some of you who said you would). So what's your problem? That it occurred or that people lie? If it's the latter, you really can't get down on the polling altogether. :twocents:
:suspicious: I had to read that a couple times to make sure I understood what you were saying. I'm not sure I do. If polling is inaccurate because people lie, or because many people will not divulge, or they're at an election spot that is heavily tilted in one direction.... all valid reasons to "get down on polling altogether" IMO.

But I have no doubt more advanced degrees holders vote Dem. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:19 am

:suspicious: I had to read that a couple times to make sure I understood what you were saying. I'm not sure I do. If polling is inaccurate because people lie, or because many people will not divulge, or they're at an election spot that is heavily tilted in one direction.... all valid reasons to "get down on polling altogether" IMO.

But I have no doubt more advanced degrees holders vote Dem. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
The polling isn't to blame for Joe Blow lying to them and therefore being less accurate. That's what I'm saying. I haven't looked into it so I could be wildly mistaken. And if I am wrong, i'll gladly accept it. I agree that polling hasn't be the greatest is predicting the past 2 Presidential Elections. I wonder how much of that has to with the Trump as a candidate vs the methodology. I assume it's a combo of both.

Exit Polling isn't intended to say who is winning on election night (although it is used for that). Exit polling's real use is for the post election analysis of why a candidate won/loss. What demographics, income ranges, genders, locations, etc... did or didn't support a candidate.

To your last comment - well, obviously. :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

What is the point of polling if it isn't accurate? We give them the benefit of having a +/- range but we know for a fact that the pre-election polling was not close for many states. Why would post election polling be more accurate? I think BDK has plenty of ground on which to stand to say why bother looking at polling data.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:35 am
The polling isn't to blame for Joe Blow lying to them and therefore being less accurate. That's what I'm saying. I haven't looked into it so I could be wildly mistaken. And if I am wrong, i'll gladly accept it. I agree that polling hasn't be the greatest is predicting the past 2 Presidential Elections. I wonder how much of that has to with the Trump as a candidate vs the methodology. I assume it's a combo of both.

Exit Polling isn't intended to say who is winning on election night (although it is used for that). Exit polling's real use is for the post election analysis of why a candidate won/loss. What demographics, income ranges, genders, locations, etc... did or didn't support a candidate.

I personally think the trend is going to get worse going forward. Poling only works if people answer honestly. How much honesty do you think there is going to be going forward?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am What is the point of polling if it isn't accurate? We give them the benefit of having a +/- range but we know for a fact that the pre-election polling was not close for many states. Why would post election polling be more accurate? I think BDK has plenty of ground on which to stand to say why bother looking at polling data.
B/c the post election polling isn't guessing who will win. It's more about why they won/lost. It's all forecasts and projections based upon trends and analysis.

I can see the point he's making and it's not w/o merit. I'm just bringing up the other side.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:54 am
89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am What is the point of polling if it isn't accurate? We give them the benefit of having a +/- range but we know for a fact that the pre-election polling was not close for many states. Why would post election polling be more accurate? I think BDK has plenty of ground on which to stand to say why bother looking at polling data.
B/c the post election polling isn't guessing who will win. It's more about why they won/lost. It's all forecasts and projections based upon trends and analysis.

I can see the point he's making and it's not w/o merit. I'm just bringing up the other side.
I'm with these other guys, I think polling is in real jeopardy. There are many reasons why, but we're in chaos territory as it relates to polling these days. Very little accuracy, very little predictive capability, and I don't see what that would be any different in terms of exit polling either. If people are going to lie going in why would they suddenly have a commitment to the truth on the way out?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:51 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:35 am

I personally think the trend is going to get worse going forward. Poling only works if people answer honestly. How much honesty do you think there is going to be going forward?
Who knows. We have posters here that said they either lied or will lie if polled.

Is it becoming increasingly less accurate b/c people are becoming so divided, Trump as a candidate, Clinton as a candidate...? They are all projections. I don't recall all of this conversation on the inaccuracies of polling before the 2016 election. At least, it wasn't as widely discussed as it is now.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

We'll have to disagree on this one. The only way exit polling works is if every ballot cast has to answer the questions and answer them accurately. Obviously neither of those are a part of our voting process. Imagine the voter suppression outcry.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:58 am

I'm with these other guys, I think polling is in real jeopardy. There are many reasons why, but we're in chaos territory as it relates to polling these days. Very little accuracy, very little predictive capability, and I don't see what that would be any different in terms of exit polling either. If people are going to lie going in why would they suddenly have a commitment to the truth on the way out?
And that's a valid point I hadn't considered. I know it's easier to lie to a stranger on the phone. But it is as easy to lie when they are in front of you? And if you're one that would lie anyway or think polling is bad - are you even going to stop to answer questions?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:58 am I don't recall all of this conversation on the inaccuracies of polling before the 2016 election.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:00 am And that's a valid point I hadn't considered. I know it's easier to lie to a stranger on the phone. But it is as easy to lie when they are in front of you? And if you're one that would lie anyway or think polling is bad - are you even going to stop to answer questions?
Last point I started typing in my last response when I was starting down the voter suppression line. If you know you're going to be asked demographic questions and you didn't graduate college, have low income, etc... you're probably less likely to stop to be asked those questions. If you came to my voting place, you'd have folks lined up to tell the pollsters how many degrees they have and how proud they were to vote for a straight Dem ballot. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:05 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:00 am And that's a valid point I hadn't considered. I know it's easier to lie to a stranger on the phone. But it is as easy to lie when they are in front of you? And if you're one that would lie anyway or think polling is bad - are you even going to stop to answer questions?
Last point I started typing in my last response when I was starting down the voter suppression line. If you know you're going to be asked demographic questions and you didn't graduate college, have low income, etc... you're probably less likely to stop to be asked those questions. If you came to my voting place, you'd have folks lined up to tell the pollsters how many degrees they have and how proud they were to vote for a straight Dem ballot. :lol:
Good point. And that would certainly skew the results. Dumb, poor people will generally not tell people they're dumb and/or poor.

They'll just dress in Trump shirts, MAGA hats and wrap their vehicles in TRUMP 2020. That's how we know they're dumb and poor. :lol:
Spoiler: show
I know i'm stereotyping.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

I took it as a commentary on BDK lying to pollsters and then complaining that polls are inaccurate. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:05 am
May I refer you to the “educated morons” vs “rednecks” thread? :mrgreen: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:58 am
Winterborn wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:51 am

Who knows. We have posters here that said they either lied or will lie if polled.

Is it becoming increasingly less accurate b/c people are becoming so divided, Trump as a candidate, Clinton as a candidate...? They are all projections. I don't recall all of this conversation on the inaccuracies of polling before the 2016 election. At least, it wasn't as widely discussed as it is now.
I think you are right. 2016 is when things seemed to take off, both from a polling inaccuracies and it happens to "coincide" with peoples viewpoints "hardening" towards others that have different beliefs.

Is this just going to be a blimp or a trend I do not know. Based on how the "Left" railed against Trump, I expect the "Right" to do something similar. We have two camps that do not trust the other side right now and I would guess that this continues for the next 4 years and sets up the same political shitshow in 2024. The roll that Polling will play is anybody's guess but I think it is safe to assume that the inaccuracies seem in the last 4 years will continue going forward. Pollsters will be split depending on what camp is paying their bills. :twocents:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:12 am

I took it as a commentary on BDK lying to pollsters and then complaining that polls are inaccurate. :D
I don't think that was the intent.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:00 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:58 am

And that's a valid point I hadn't considered. I know it's easier to lie to a stranger on the phone. But it is as easy to lie when they are in front of you? And if you're one that would lie anyway or think polling is bad - are you even going to stop to answer questions?
You still don’t get it. Its not just lieing. Far more will simply refuse to answer. You could even be polite about it, or just ignore them like those people in malls and airports trying to sell you sonething. If the majority aren’t answering, even a large chunk, the poll is skewed, because those answering aren’t representative of the whole.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

You would be wrong.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:47 am

I don't think that was the intent.
You would be right.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:48 am
You still don’t get it. Its not just lieing. Far more will simply refuse to answer. You could even be polite about it, or just ignore them like those people in malls and airports trying to sell you sonething. If the majority aren’t answering, even a large chunk, the poll is skewed, because those answering aren’t representative of the whole.
Refusing to answer a question is ok. You can politely refuse and I would think the pollsters will/can account for that in their statistic. I could be wrong.

If you're stopping to talk to a pollster, KNOWING they're going to ask you questions about your vote, can't we make an assumption that you would be truthful? Otherwise you'd ignore them or politely decline. Otherwise, who is going to stop and talk to a pollster and avoid the questions and/or lie?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I wasn't specifically commenting on BDK but people that do this in general.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

* lying - the rest of your post is irrelevant due to a typo. Please try to do better next time. ;)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 am
* lying - the rest of your post is irrelevant due to a typo. Please try to do better next time. ;)
People who mispell words disgust me. :ohno: