Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Good and Bad news from Exit Polling

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:50 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 am

* lying - the rest of your post is irrelevant due to a typo. Please try to do better next time. ;)
People who mispell words disgust me. :ohno:
Same here. :poke:

:D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:49 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:08 pm
I stopped reading right there..
I believe you don't trust anything that doesn't support your views or your political ideology.
That, unfortunately, is how it is with the majority of conservatives nowadays. It's why they are so divorced from the truth in so many areas of inquiry.

I assure you, political professionals are paying a lot of attention to what the exit polling indicates.

There is absolutely no doubt that there is an association between being more educated and being more likely to vote Democrat. And it's a lot stronger than it was 20 years ago when I first started really following the matter. If only people with at least a bachelor's degree could vote, Republicans would have zero shot of winning the Presidency. I guarantee you that political professionals know that.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 am

* lying - the rest of your post is irrelevant due to a typo. Please try to do better next time. ;)
mi spell, su spell
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:58 pm

I believe you don't trust anything that doesn't support your views or your political ideology.
That, unfortunately, is how it is with the majority of conservatives nowadays. It's why they are so divorced from the truth in so many areas of inquiry.

I assure you, political professionals are paying a lot of attention to what the exit polling indicates.

There is absolutely no doubt that there is an association between being more educated and being more likely to vote Democrat. And it's a lot stronger than it was 20 years ago when I first started really following the matter. If only people with at least a bachelor's degree could vote, Republicans would have zero shot of winning the Presidency. I guarantee you that political professionals know that.

About the same amount of time we've been starving education to fund the never-ending wars. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Houndy, you are a necroposter of Dal's proportion. Good God man.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:20 pm

mi spell, su spell
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:23 am Houndy, you are a necroposter of Dal's proportion. Good God man.
He just came down and needed to pass some time before his next trip.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

And if only landowners could vote, Democrats would have zero chance of winning the presidency. So there.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:07 pm

And if only landowners could vote, Democrats would have zero chance of winning the presidency. So there.
Or no voting if receiving any government assistance.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

That's possible but I don't know if it is a sure thing. People with at least a bachelor's degree, on average, are more affluent than those without that. I'm guessing they have a higher home ownership rate than people without degrees do. If "landowner" includes people that own their own houses with their yards no matter how small they are, I don't know how the numbers would turn out.

Went ahead and did a Google and found this: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-h ... %2067.3%25.

It'd be interesting to see exit polling on that.

In any case, what we're talking about here is the fact that being more informed (educated) is associated with being more likely to vote Democrat. It is what it is.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:14 pm

Everybody receives government assistance.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:14 am

About the same amount of time we've been starving education to fund the never-ending wars. :coffee:
Yeah, the US has been starving education so much that as if 2016 its 5th out of 3 doz+ OECD countries in per pupil spending. :dunce:
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/pdf/coe_cmd.pdf
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:45 pm

You have some numbers to back that up?

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:11 pm
houndawg wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:14 am

Yeah, the US has been starving education so much that as if 2016 its 5th out of 3 doz+ OECD countries in per pupil spending. :dunce:
Where are we in relation to other nations?
The most recent PISA results, from 2015, placed the U.S. an unimpressive 38th out of 71 countries in math and 24th in science. Among the 35 members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which sponsors the PISA initiative, the U.S. ranked 30th in math and 19th in science.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... h-science/

In terms of the quality of the educational system, the average student scored 488 in reading literacy, maths and science in the OECD's Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), slightly higher than the OECD average of 486. On average in the United States, girls outperformed boys by 1 points, slightly less than the average OECD gap of 2 points.
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/coun ... ed-states/

We're 2pts above avg.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

What are we defining as "assistance"? Welfare? Social Security and Medicare can be argued as gov't assistance. What about farmers who get paid NOT to farm.

Or are we just talking about the poor on food stamps and welfare who are living in the projects?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:39 am
What are we defining as "assistance"? Welfare? Social Security and Medicare can be argued as gov't assistance. What about farmers who get paid NOT to farm.

Or are we just talking about the poor on food stamps and welfare who are living in the projects?
I think JSO is spreading the description much further than that ... probably along the lines of the government maintains the roads, you drive on the roads, you are receiving government assistance.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Nothing that’s paid for with tax dollars equates to assistance. If you do not work, but receive money, THAT is assistance. If you’re an employed individual who pays NET federal income tax, everything you receive back is in the form of a benefit paid for by your tax dollars. If you get back every dollar you pay in, everything you get is assistance from someone ELSE, paid for by THEIR tax dollars. NONE of it is “government” assistance, even though it’s funneled THROUGH the government, very inefficiently, I might add.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:38 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:11 pm

In terms of the quality of the educational system, the average student scored 488 in reading literacy, maths and science in the OECD's Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), slightly higher than the OECD average of 486. On average in the United States, girls outperformed boys by 1 points, slightly less than the average OECD gap of 2 points.

We're 2pts above avg.
Sure our bang for our buck is terrible. But that wasn’t the point. Densedawg’s claim that we’re “starving education” is 100% false. Our secondary public educational system overall nationwide might be avg (at best), but the reason its not better is not because of lack of spending..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Nothing that’s paid for with tax dollars equates to assistance. If you do not work, but receive money, THAT is assistance. If you’re an employed individual who pays NET federal income tax, everything you receive back is in the form of a benefit paid for by your tax dollars. If you get back every dollar you pay in, everything you get is assistance from someone ELSE, paid for by THEIR tax dollars. NONE of it is “government” assistance, even though it’s funneled THROUGH the government, very inefficiently, I might add.
Wrong, Poindexter, social security is not government assistance. :coffee:. And if Joe Biden want to impress me he needs to do something about the 3 trillion dollars he and his thieving friends have been spending for decades now. And while they're at it they had better start paying serious attention to Switzerland's experiment with UBI because eventually thats what's going to save them when the pitchfork mob wants their money back.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:20 pm

mi spell, su spell
:lol:

nice play :thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:40 pm
Ibanez wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:38 am

We're 2pts above avg.
Sure our bang for our buck is terrible. But that wasn’t the point. Densedawg’s claim that we’re “starving education” is 100% false. Our secondary public educational system overall nationwide might be avg (at best), but the reason its not better is not because of lack of spending..
I was adding something new to the conversation, BDK. :roll: Yeah we spend a good deal on students but what do we have to show for our money?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:40 am
Wrong, Poindexter, social security is not government assistance. :coffee:. And if Joe Biden want to impress me he needs to do something about the 3 trillion dollars he and his thieving friends have been spending for decades now. And while they're at it they had better start paying serious attention to Switzerland's experiment with UBI because eventually thats what's going to save them when the pitchfork mob wants their money back.
Are you saying that social security is 100% not government assistance? For that to be true, social security payouts would vary based on how much interest the money made while the government had it. If payouts are set (i.e. defined benefits) then it's likely that the government is subsidizing those payouts. The difference between what an individual pays in and how much interest that money makes vs. what is paid out is assistance.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Try and keep up, dipshit. If you do not work (but are of working age), anything you receive is assistance. If you receive SS, you’re getting money back that you paid in. That is not assistance.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 am

Are you saying that social security is 100% not government assistance? For that to be true, social security payouts would vary based on how much interest the money made while the government had it. If payouts are set (i.e. defined benefits) then it's likely that the government is subsidizing those payouts. The difference between what an individual pays in and how much interest that money makes vs. what is paid out is assistance.
I disagree. If I was allowed to keep that money and invest it myself, I’d make a shitload more interest than the government doles out in dribs and drabs. The government takes YOUR money, gives it back to you piecemeal, and that’s somehow “assistance” from the government?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:27 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:41 am
I disagree. If I was allowed to keep that money and invest it myself, I’d make a shitload more interest than the government doles out in dribs and drabs. The government takes YOUR money, gives it back to you piecemeal, and that’s somehow “assistance” from the government?
We're both right. Yes you or I would make more money if we were allowed to keep and invest what we pay into SS. But I don't think the government gets enough in premium and interest to equal what they pay out. The difference is government assistance. SS is more like a union negotiated defined benefit plan and the employer/government underwrites the risk.