The Official "Making America Woke Again" Thread

Political discussions
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Re: The Official "Making America Woke Again" Thread

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:36 am Great research project on the institutionalization of slavery…especially regarding the Catholic Church and Georgetown University.

This stuff still needs to be taught.
“I am just not sure about what the reception would be,” she says, candidly, recalling a story from years ago when she offered to share some of her findings with a church during Black History Month but was overlooked. “I think it left me with a feeling that this isn’t necessarily welcome, even now, in some places in the Catholic church.”

The book, too, is published at a significant juncture in American politics, when the historiography of race and racism in the country has been censored in many states, and weaponized in the Republican presidential primary. It was not something the author had envisaged at the beginning of the reporting, which started about three years before the New York Times published the 1619 Project, a landmark study that has subsequently ignited a far-right backlash.

a bald eagle and shield with stars and stripes, all made of metal on a door
Healy Hall on Georgetown University’s main campus in Washington DC. Photograph: Xinhua/Alamy
In late June of this year, the conservative supermajority on the supreme court effectively struck down race-conscious college admissions, a seismic blow for racial equity across the US. The decision was particularly pertinent at Georgetown, which has, since 2017, offered preferential admissions to descendants of those enslaved by Maryland’s Jesuits as part of a program of reparatory justice. The institution, like many others, is still grappling with how the ruling will affect broader admissions policy going forward. (Dozens of other US universities have also identified links to slavery as movements for reparatory justice sweep across campuses.)
Dude Kalm wouldn’t be so calm if he walked through BedSty alone, you live on marble floors and post about slavery……. Typical white azz hat
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Dude Kalm wouldn’t be so calm if he walked through BedSty alone, you live on marble floors and post about slavery……. Typical white azz hat Wouldn’t dare walk the streets
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:34 am Dude Kalm wouldn’t be so calm if he walked through BedSty alone, you live on marble floors and post about slavery……. Typical white azz hat Wouldn’t dare walk the streets
What if I lived on stained cl Crete floors with radiant heating?

Would I then be allowed to post about slavery and walk the streets?

And where is this place called BedSty? Is it near or far? I like road trips!
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:48 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:34 am Dude Kalm wouldn’t be so calm if he walked through BedSty alone, you live on marble floors and post about slavery……. Typical white azz hat Wouldn’t dare walk the streets

Come on dude, Billy Joel immortalized the term bedsty and you don’t even know where it is…. Says everything about your privilege
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:58 am

Come on dude, Billy Joel immortalized the term bedsty and you don’t even know where it is…. Says everything about your privilege
East coast bias. kalm is 2,500 miles from BedSty and NYC. Not everyone knows where a location in song lyrics actually is.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Glass Houses was one of the first albums I owned as a kid.

Then he had to release We Didn’t Start the Fire…

:ohno:
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:48 am

Were you a straight A student? if you are then you think too much
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:21 am

East coast bias. kalm is 2,500 miles from BedSty and NYC. Not everyone knows where a location in song lyrics actually is.
It shows in his post and I’m not talking geography
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:58 am
kalm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:48 am

Were you a straight A student? if you are then you think too much
God no. 3.0 in HS, 3.4 in college (while playing a D1 golf schedule).

Think too much? Probably. Or at least too fast. Meditation helps. So does weed.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:21 am East coast bias. kalm is 2,500 miles from BedSty and NYC. Not everyone knows where a location in song lyrics actually is.
Not knowing where BedSty is says nothing about kalm’s privilege. You’re stereotyping him based on where he lives and went to school. You don’t know his story, where he’s been or what he’s experienced.

I can’t speak for kalm but I don’t think I would have had a problem walking the streets of BedSty alone at night. I lived in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago as a white kid from Iowa and walked those streets with no problem.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Re: The Official

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:27 am
Caribbean Hen wrote:
Not knowing where BedSty is says nothing about kalm’s privilege. You’re stereotyping him based on where he lives and went to school. You don’t know his story, where he’s been or what he’s experienced.

I can’t speak for kalm but I don’t think I would have had a problem walking the streets of BedSty alone at night. I lived in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago as a white kid from Iowa and walked those streets with no problem.
You just admitted Kalm is privledged
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:34 am

You just admitted Kalm is privledged
I’m quite grateful for my privilege. I’m also very aware and empathetic of the less fortunate. Is that a bad thing and if so, why?

And I still don’t know what BedSty is or where it fits in.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:34 am You just admitted Kalm is privledged
I’m quite grateful for my privilege. I’m also very aware and empathetic of the less fortunate. Is that a bad thing and if so, why?

BedSty is a neighborhood in Brooklyn that I believe is majority African American. The inference seems to be that you’d be afraid to walk the streets there alone because you would be a minority and that because of this you’re a limousine liberal who doesn’t really understand the lives of those you want to help.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:24 am
kalm wrote:

BedSty is a neighborhood in Brooklyn that I believe is majority African American. The inference seems to be that you’d be afraid to walk the streets there alone because you would be a minority and that because of this you’re a limousine liberal who doesn’t really understand the lives of those you want to help.
That’s not that far off, congratulations!
I lived there, or I should say I needed an Apt in NYC and with vacancies slim to none, I rented a place in the Hart of Bedford Stuyvesant, probably about 90% black. I never had a problem really except my daughter left a laptop (I know I know) in the car and within the hour a brick was tossed through the window and laptop was stolen. I used to walk around the corner every morning to get my coffee in the shadows of one of the worst Public housing high rises in NYC and never personally had a problem. I got a few stares sitting in the coffee shop but it was Dominican owners and I can speak a little Spanglish so it was all good.

It certainly made me appreciate everything I have in life, and very thankful that I was not born into this democratic plantation, meaning Democrats continue to pump free money into this place, and people can eek out a meager lifestyle off the government so they don’t leave and I think that is sad. As you know these neighborhoods are locked in on Democratic politicians at about 95%, so it’s obvious to anyone why the Democrats continue to keep the plantation up and running. it’s for votes so they can maintain their power over the people.

Oh, I almost forgot, one of the best things about it was the entitled white liberal privileged educated Dem voters were nowhere to be seen.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:41 am
I lived there, or I should say I needed an Apt in NYC and with vacancies slim to none, I rented a place in the Hart of Bedford Stuyvesant, probably about 90% black. I never had a problem really except my daughter left a laptop (I know I know) in the car and within the hour a brick was tossed through the window and laptop was stolen. I used to walk around the corner every morning to get my coffee in the shadows of one of the worst Public housing high rises in NYC and never personally had a problem. I got a few stares sitting in the coffee shop but it was Dominican owners and I can speak a little Spanglish so it was all good.

It certainly made me appreciate everything I have in life, and very thankful that I was not born into this democratic plantation, meaning Democrats continue to pump free money into this place, and people can eek out a meager lifestyle off the government so they don’t leave and I think that is sad. As you know these neighborhoods are locked in on Democratic politicians at about 95%, so it’s obvious to anyone why the Democrats continue to keep the plantation up and running. it’s for votes so they can maintain their power over the people.

Oh, I almost forgot, one of the best things about it was the entitled white liberal privileged educated Dem voters were nowhere to be seen.
So I need to live in the hood to appreciate what slavery is?
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:21 am

So I need to live in the hood to appreciate what slavery is?
Of course not, but it couldn’t hurt.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Caribbean Hen wrote:

Wrong, I don’t know where he lives or where he went to school, but you’re right I’m stereotyping him but it’s based on his style, could tell in a NY minute he was a cool bong weed toker .. but whatever
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:27 am Not knowing where BedSty is says nothing about kalm’s privilege. You’re stereotyping him based on where he lives and went to school. You don’t know his story, where he’s been or what he’s experienced.

Wrong, I don’t know where he lives or where he went to school, but you’re right I’m stereotyping him but it’s based on his style, could tell in a NY minute he was a cool bong weed toker .. but whatever
Yet MAGAt yahoos get upset at being stereotyped as deplorable, fascist, white nationalist, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:15 am
Caribbean Hen wrote:
Yet MAGAt yahoos get upset at being stereotyped as deplorable, fascist, white nationalist, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This all false.

I smoke from a pipe.

And cool passed me by years ago.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

It's why I stay off of main roads anymore. Amazed this has gotten so little coverage. This is atrocious.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:57 pm It's why I stay off of main roads anymore. Amazed this has gotten so little coverage. This is atrocious.

I'm sure we'll hear from they mamas just how good and sweet those boys are. :ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:57 pm It's why I stay off of main roads anymore. Amazed this has gotten so little coverage. This is atrocious.

Prime example of why we need the death penalty.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Speaking of woke. Boebert and Noem are clearly fighting the good fight. I’m so glad they’ve pushed back (hard) against the groomers and hedonists.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Billy Joel.......? :rofl:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

A real Man of the People you are. Able to tread where other white folk dare not venture. :coffee: :jack:

You'd think that a guy who spent so much time living among black folk would have better taste in music. :mrgreen:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky