Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: The Official "Making America Woke Again" Thread

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:16 am
SDHornet wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:06 am
I'm actually shocked the expectations were higher. Don't people see all the help wanted signs up everywhere? My business (manufacturing site) has been trying to hire people for months for really well paying jobs and can't get the people. We've kicked the can down the road a little bit with the enhanced unemployment benefits, so I wouldn't expect a real bounce back until those start to expire, but that's still a ways off after the summer. Tough to add jobs when we're paying people more to not work and when the summer months are coming up. No one wants to start a new job now and not get vacation time in a month or two.

Beyond the self-inflicted delay in job growth, there still is the very real issue of jobs that won't ever come back and the steady rise of automation. Manufacturing has seen it for decades and will continue to see it. I'm putting a processing line in now and we were adamant that just one guy be able to run it, so it's got lots of automation in it. But you're seeing it in places like McDonalds. Coming out of COVID, you'll order in the store just like you would on the mobile app (they've remodeled their stores to not even have a front counter). No sense having someone take your order if you can just type it in. What do we do with all of those people we just don't need anymore?
Sounds like you need to raise wages/bennies, quickly - you're going to be dealing with a workforce, what's left of it anyway, with a whole different mindset about work when things get back to normal. And if the nation enacts some form of medicare for all there will be a line outside HR offices across the nation of people coming in to spit on the boss on their way out the door. :nod:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:08 pm
At Least 18 States Dropping $300-A-Week Federal Unemployment Benefits
Missouri, Iowa, Mississippi and Alaska all plan to drop the benefits on June 12, which is the earliest date states are allowed to leave the program.

Alabama, West Virginia, Idaho, North Dakota and Wyoming are all planning to opt out on June 19.

Ohio, Georgia, Utah, Arkansas and South Dakota will cease payments on June 26.

Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte (R) said he would withdraw the state from the program by June 27, also claiming Montana was being plagued by a labor shortage. Montana will instead offer a one-time $1,200 bonus for returning to work, Gianforte said.

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster (R) said his state would end federal benefits at the end of June.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee (R) announced the state will stop participating in the federal government's supplemental unemployment benefits program on July 3.

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey said his state will stop paying federal benefits on July 10, but the state will offer a $2,000 return-to-work bonus.
$387. That's how much the average American receives from their state in weekly unemployment payments, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, which rises to $687 with the federal boost. Based on a 40-hour workweek, that means the average unemployed American is getting the equivalent of $17.17 an hour—more than twice the federal minimum wage.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasre ... f3c7d3190c
Florida not listed among those 18 conk states, but last week Desantis to FL unemployed: "Start Looking For a Job".
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis this week said those residents receiving unemployment benefits will soon be required once again to show proof they’re looking for a job.

The requirement had been waived during the coronavirus pandemic when unemployment in the state skyrocketed to nearly 14% as businesses closed in April of last year, according to the News Service of Florida.

By March of this year, Florida's unemployment rate was lower than 5%.

"Normally when you’re getting unemployment, the whole idea is that’s temporary, and you need to be looking for work to be able to get off unemployment," DeSantis said at a news conference, the news service reported. "It was a disaster [at the beginning of the pandemic], so we suspended those job search requirements. I think it’s pretty clear now, we have an abundance of job openings."

"I think it’s pretty clear now, we have an abundance of job openings."

DeSantis mentioned some employers have said they’ve struggled to hire workers as their businesses reopen.

The governor signed the executive order waiving the work requirement last year and said it will end May 29....
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/desant ... work-again
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 am You get what you voted for. :coffee:

Biden can take his rule he made up, and shove it up his demented ass..
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:57 am
SDHornet wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 am You get what you voted for. :coffee:

This one was covered pages ago. :dunce:

I’m sorry Joe wasn’t respectful enough... :thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:18 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:57 am
This one was covered pages ago. :dunce:

I’m sorry Joe wasn’t respectful enough... :thumb:
SD's post I replied to was on Fri. Sorry I didn't keep up over the weekend..
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:56 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:16 am

I'm actually shocked the expectations were higher. Don't people see all the help wanted signs up everywhere? My business (manufacturing site) has been trying to hire people for months for really well paying jobs and can't get the people. We've kicked the can down the road a little bit with the enhanced unemployment benefits, so I wouldn't expect a real bounce back until those start to expire, but that's still a ways off after the summer. Tough to add jobs when we're paying people more to not work and when the summer months are coming up. No one wants to start a new job now and not get vacation time in a month or two.

Beyond the self-inflicted delay in job growth, there still is the very real issue of jobs that won't ever come back and the steady rise of automation. Manufacturing has seen it for decades and will continue to see it. I'm putting a processing line in now and we were adamant that just one guy be able to run it, so it's got lots of automation in it. But you're seeing it in places like McDonalds. Coming out of COVID, you'll order in the store just like you would on the mobile app (they've remodeled their stores to not even have a front counter). No sense having someone take your order if you can just type it in. What do we do with all of those people we just don't need anymore?
Sounds like you need to raise wages/bennies, quickly - you're going to be dealing with a workforce, what's left of it anyway, with a whole different mindset about work when things get back to normal. And if the nation enacts some form of medicare for all there will be a line outside HR offices across the nation of people coming in to spit on the boss on their way out the door. :nod:
Ah yes, the typical response from someone with zero economic info or any knowledge on how small business that operate on the smallest of profit margins can just up and pay more for their labor. houndie being houndie. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:20 am

Ah yes, the typical response from someone with zero economic info or any knowledge on how small business that operate on the smallest of profit margins can just up and pay more for their labor. houndie being houndie. :coffee:
No shit. Is there a more out of touch poster on this entire board than Houndie? Except maybe JSO?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:31 am

No shit. Is there a more out of touch poster on this entire board than Houndie? Except maybe JSO?
Trip has to be in the discussion. Anyone touting marxist ideals has zero grasp of history.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:35 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:31 am

Trip has to be in the discussion. Anyone touting marxist ideals has zero grasp of history.
They're the trifecta of stupidity. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Small businesses don’t compete on the labor market? Or against large employers who can absorb payroll costs more?

Sounds like Ol’ Houndie’s point is valid.

PST...so we’re some of Marx’s.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:04 pm

Small businesses don’t compete on the labor market? Or against large employers who can absorb payroll costs more?

They're not competing against the labor market anymore. They're competing against a universal income/wealth redistribution scheme foisted upon us by our government.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Yeah, says the "economist" who thinks all these high-paying jobs are going begging because there's more money in staying home. Jesus what a pinhead. :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

And all those restaurant employees just sitting around after their job vanished. Found another gig after their job vanished and now its their fault their ex-employer can't find anyone to work for starvation wages......Jesus, SD...... :ohno:
Last edited by houndawg on Mon May 17, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm and hound on the wrong side here. They live in fantasyland.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:17 pm kalm and hound on the wrong side here. They live in fantasyland.
Labor is a market that businesses compete in. Demand is driven by wages. When people perceive they are under-paid or can’t afford an expected standard of living, they search elsewhere, revolt, or rely on public assistance.

What part am I wrong about?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:00 pm
89Hen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:17 pm kalm and hound on the wrong side here. They live in fantasyland.
Labor is a market that businesses compete in. Demand is driven by wages. When people perceive they are under-paid or can’t afford an expected standard of living, they search elsewhere, revolt, or rely on public assistance.

When people perceive they can get just as much sitting at home receiving bloated govt unemployment checks, they won't work as long as those checks keep coming. Take away the checks, they will work. Very simple concept that I'm sure any business owner would understand.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:10 pm

When people perceive they can get just as much sitting at home receiving bloated govt unemployment checks, they won't work as long as those checks keep coming. Take away the checks, they will work. Very simple concept that I'm sure any business owner would understand.
Don’t disagree.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Can't make money for the investor class until there is somebody available to watch little Johnny. :coffee:

Why work when child care costs more than your shitty job in the service sector pays? :coffee:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

houndawg wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm
Can't make money for the investor class until there is somebody available to watch little Johnny. :coffee:

Why work when child care costs more than your shitty job in the service sector pays? :coffee:
It's simple:
1. Don't have children unless you can afford to stay home, OR
2. Don't have children until you can afford child care.

Too bad you made some horrible life decisions. The free money is going away, so get your sorry ass up and get back to work. :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:13 am

It's simple:

Too bad you made some horrible life decisions. The free money is going away, so get your sorry ass up and get back to work. :nod:
That’s exactly what the childcare industrial complex wants you to believe... :ohno:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:59 am
It's simple:

That’s exactly what the childcare industrial complex wants you to believe... :ohno:
:lol:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

It's simple:

It must be painful, baldy, my condolences..

stupid fucks never planned for a pandemic :ohno:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:07 pm

And all those restaurant employees just sitting around after their job vanished. Found another gig after their job vanished and now its their fault their ex-employer can't find anyone to work for starvation wages......Jesus, SD...... :ohno:
Yeah. No. Not even close to the truth.