Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: 2024 Primary

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:00 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:22 pm

As opposed to the modern progressive movement of disgruntled Millenials living in their parents' basement fearing the imminent end of democracy and the world and who understand basic economics as well as a garden slug?
Here is the best example of the modern day Progtard.

I’m quite sure Democrats love the money. Establishment Dems especially…rank and file progressives not so much. Are you now against money in politics, Baldy? Freedom hater! :)

UNI88, here’s a true both sides do it opportunity for you.

(Cough, cough, Peter Thiel, Ryan Salame)
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

kalm wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:59 pm

The original progressive movement pitted farmers against urban financiers and banks.
As opposed to the modern progressive movement of disgruntled Millenials living in their parents' basement fearing the imminent end of democracy and the world and who understand basic economics as well as a garden slug?
Maybe the GOP should actually appeal to them instead of writing off entire generations as stupid, lazy, and entitled.

I'm no political strategist though. :coffee:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I also want to add that the conservative movement can have a place in the future, but it needs to accept climate change as fact, soften its views on abortion and marijuana, and ditch the anti-trans/LGBTQ messaging. Also none of us give a shit about CRT.

You can have good, fiscally sound, socially consciousness policies which help people and move America forward. Right now the GOP is neither fiscally conservative nor do they offer any policies which help young people. We care about tax transparency, taxing those who can afford it, healthcare reform, police reform, online privacy, not losing Constitutional rights, and maintaining beneficial government agencies.

But instead of solving real issues, we get GOP politicians targeting teachers and trans kids because that is somehow a high priority.

Vitriol only gets you so far, so I'm sure the GOP will just double-down on it...
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:02 am

I’m quite sure Democrats love the money. Establishment Dems especially…rank and file progressives not so much. Are you now against money in politics, Baldy? Freedom hater! :)

Both sides do do it. I would say that Thiel is more similar to Soros than Bankman-Fried

Who are the non-establishment or progressive Dems who wouldn't take this kind of money? Squad members would take it and try to skim a portion of it off to family & friends.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:42 am
kalm wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:02 am

Both sides do do it. I would say that Thiel is more similar to Soros than Bankman-Fried

Who are the non-establishment or progressive Dems who wouldn't take this kind of money? Squad members would take it and try to skim a portion of it off to family & friends.
Katy Porter for starters.

Who are the Republicans who wouldn’t skim and give to family and friends?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:50 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:42 am

One? For starters? There are 272 Democrats in Congress so .37% are non-establishment? As self-righteous as Dems are about corporate donations I would think that you could name a dozen off the top of your head.

Taking corporate money is just one part of being establishment. Do we know that Porter (or others) isn't 2) allocating funds to family & friends for "working" for her or 3) using the knowledge and prestige gained from her position to make more money (insider trading, writing books, etc.)?

I'm not a Republican so I don't know who the Republicans are who aren't doing any of the above. If they get self-righteous about it, I'll point out their hypocrisy, that's my schtick.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:13 am I also want to add that the conservative movement can have a place in the future, but it needs to accept climate change as fact, soften its views on abortion and marijuana, and ditch the anti-trans/LGBTQ messaging. Also none of us give a shit about CRT.

You can have good, fiscally sound, socially consciousness policies which help people and move America forward. Right now the GOP is neither fiscally conservative nor do they offer any policies which help young people. We care about tax transparency, taxing those who can afford it, healthcare reform, police reform, online privacy, not losing Constitutional rights, and maintaining beneficial government agencies.

But instead of solving real issues, we get GOP politicians targeting teachers and trans kids because that is somehow a high priority.

Vitriol only gets you so far, so I'm sure the GOP will just double-down on it...
The problem is, the vitriol is what stokes both parties right now. And it's not just the conservative movement, but the progressive movement as well. Look at where we are - while the Dems trumpet the midterm election as a success, at the end of the day we have a Congress that couldn't be any more divided than it is - we could have a 50/50 Senate again and we might actually have a House that is 218-217 - tell me which side, GOP or Dem, is really winning? It doesn't seem like anyone is. And the White House isn't even about policy, it's about the person running. Has been for awhile and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. If the GOP runs a more likeable person than the Dems run next time the GOP will win the White House. But even then the Senate and House are likely to have these razor thin margins for years to come.

I do agree that the current iteration of the GOP is not helping itself with anything that's anti-LGBTQ - that's crazy in this day and age. Even the trans stuff isn't worth getting in a debate over, it just doesn't matter very much. Climate change as fact is great, real people don't even debate over that. The debate has always been what to do about it. I think the Dems like to keep the debate at whether it's real or not because they don't have great answers of what to do about it. At least not things they'd want to share with voters. I doubt the GOP will change its views on abortion - at the end of the day, abortion is like why we have the current situation of split down the middle government - abortion splits the electorate the same way.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:46 am
kalm wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:50 am

One? For starters? There are 272 Democrats in Congress so .37% are non-establishment? As self-righteous as Dems are about corporate donations I would think that you could name a dozen off the top of your head.

Taking corporate money is just one part of being establishment. Do we know that Porter (or others) isn't 2) allocating funds to family & friends for "working" for her or 3) using the knowledge and prestige gained from her position to make more money (insider trading, writing books, etc.)?

I'm not a Republican so I don't know who the Republicans are who aren't doing any of the above. If they get self-righteous about it, I'll point out their hypocrisy, that's my schtick.
You’re working pretty damn hard at agreeing with me/not agreeing with me. Hehe.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:03 am

Maybe the GOP should actually appeal to them instead of writing off entire generations as stupid, lazy, and entitled.

I'm no political strategist though. :coffee:
I think they missed their best chance already
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:07 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:13 am I also want to add that the conservative movement can have a place in the future, but it needs to accept climate change as fact, soften its views on abortion and marijuana, and ditch the anti-trans/LGBTQ messaging. Also none of us give a shit about CRT.

The problem is, the vitriol is what stokes both parties right now. And it's not just the conservative movement, but the progressive movement as well. Look at where we are - while the Dems trumpet the midterm election as a success, at the end of the day we have a Congress that couldn't be any more divided than it is - we could have a 50/50 Senate again and we might actually have a House that is 218-217 - tell me which side, GOP or Dem, is really winning? It doesn't seem like anyone is. And the White House isn't even about policy, it's about the person running. Has been for awhile and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. If the GOP runs a more likeable person than the Dems run next time the GOP will win the White House. But even then the Senate and House are likely to have these razor thin margins for years to come.

I do agree that the current iteration of the GOP is not helping itself with anything that's anti-LGBTQ - that's crazy in this day and age. Even the trans stuff isn't worth getting in a debate over, it just doesn't matter very much. Climate change as fact is great, real people don't even debate over that. The debate has always been what to do about it. I think the Dems like to keep the debate at whether it's real or not because they don't have great answers of what to do about it. At least not things they'd want to share with voters. I doubt the GOP will change its views on abortion - at the end of the day, abortion is like why we have the current situation of split down the middle government - abortion splits the electorate the same way.
You can't really blame them for claiming its a success given the constant predictions of a red tsunami from everybody but Michael Moore
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:24 pm

You can't really blame them for claiming its a success given the constant predictions of a red tsunami from everybody but Michael Moore
I don't blame them, it's what politicians do, claim whatever you can and see what sticks. I try not to get caught up in too much of the predictions, but there were certainly lots of signs that this was going to be a close election. The idea of a red tsunami was more a product of the BDK-type partisans rather than real projections. Most had the Senate coming down to one or two states (it did) and most had the GOP squeezing out a House majority (somewhere over 220 and around 230). The House didn't materialize to that extent, but even a 1 person majority is still a majority and control flips. And the GOP may be able to take this and run with it - if they're able to get out from under the weight of Trump as a result of this that bodes well for them in 2024 when the White House is up for grabs and when the Dems are playing defense with a lot of Senate seats in states where they could conceivably have difficult campaigns. The Dems did everything they could to facilitate bad candidates coming out of the GOP primaries - not sure if that's going to work in '24 if Trump is diminished. But like I said, I doubt anyone scores huge majorities in either chamber anytime soon - blue states are bluer and red states are redder and they're about even in terms of how many there are. Sadly, I think this current political climate stays for several more elections to come.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

With todays updates, its looking like more like 220-215..

Is saying boys shouldn’t be playing on girls sports teams or haing girls bathrooms/locker rooms anti LGB?
Is saying children shouldn’t be given sex changes or puberty blocking hormes anti LGB? Desantis waa one of the biggest, or at least most visible, critics of the above woke trans agenda, and he won by 20..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:58 pm
houndawg wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:24 pm

I don't blame them, it's what politicians do, claim whatever you can and see what sticks. I try not to get caught up in too much of the predictions, but there were certainly lots of signs that this was going to be a close election. The idea of a red tsunami was more a product of the BDK-type partisans rather than real projections. Most had the Senate coming down to one or two states (it did) and most had the GOP squeezing out a House majority (somewhere over 220 and around 230). The House didn't materialize to that extent, but even a 1 person majority is still a majority and control flips. And the GOP may be able to take this and run with it - if they're able to get out from under the weight of Trump as a result of this that bodes well for them in 2024 when the White House is up for grabs and when the Dems are playing defense with a lot of Senate seats in states where they could conceivably have difficult campaigns. The Dems did everything they could to facilitate bad candidates coming out of the GOP primaries - not sure if that's going to work in '24 if Trump is diminished. But like I said, I doubt anyone scores huge majorities in either chamber anytime soon - blue states are bluer and red states are redder and they're about even in terms of how many there are. Sadly,I think this current political climate stays for several more elections to come.
they're afraid to stop kissing his ass, they grovel when he breaks wind.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:56 pm

Is saying boys shouldn’t be playing on girls sports teams or haing girls bathrooms/locker rooms anti LGB?
Is saying children shouldn’t be given sex changes or puberty blocking hormes anti LGB? Desantis waa one of the biggest, or at least most visible, critics of the above woke trans agenda, and he won by 20..
too bad the girls took your red tsunami away :mrgreen:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

So Donnie announces today?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

You know that the right isn't just stopping at those talking points, and even when they are using those talking points they aren't going about it in a constructive way (news flash, child predators are not in the majority). The GOP is just as responsible for extremist language and stances as the whackos on the left are for theirs. If you want to talk trans, then talk trans. Not sure why gay marriage and acknowledging that there are gay people in the world get mixed in with that - well, frankly I do, too many people are still bigoted when it comes to those things. But like I said, it's those nuances that still get in the way of reasoned discussion on the things that people could agree on.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:28 am

You know that the right isn't just stopping at those talking points, and even when they are using those talking points they aren't going about it in a constructive way (news flash, child predators are not in the majority). The GOP is just as responsible for extremist language and stances as the whackos on the left are for theirs. If you want to talk trans, then talk trans. Not sure why gay marriage and acknowledging that there are gay people in the world get mixed in with that - well, frankly I do, too many people are still bigoted when it comes to those things. But like I said, it's those nuances that still get in the way of reasoned discussion on the things that people could agree on.
Yep.

Whether one agrees with transgenderism or not, it should be dealt with respectfully and as a physical/mental health issue rather than banning the speech and culture surrounding it or worse…by demonizing those involved.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Trut so pure :nod:

I'm still not clear on what the difference is between CRT and History :?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:43 am

The T in CRT stands for Theory. Some people believe it is accurate and some people don't. It isn't fact and it is intellectually dishonest to teach it as a fact or to teach it to children who aren't yet able to differentiate between fact and theory.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't be teaching students about slavery and racism, it absolutely played a part in our development so we should. But we shouldn't be teaching students that slavery and racism is the foundation of the USA.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:15 am
houndawg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:43 am

The T in CRT stands for Theory. Some people believe it is accurate and some people don't. It isn't fact and it is intellectually dishonest to teach it as a fact or to teach it to children who aren't yet able to differentiate between fact and theory.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't be teaching students about slavery and racism, it absolutely played a part in our development so we should. But we shouldn't be teaching students that slavery and racism is the foundation of the USA.
Yes,I get what you're saying but: what is the theory, stated? I have never heard this "theory" stated in words or print - most theories can be stated in words or print or mathmaticaly
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:23 am

Yes,I get what you're saying but: what is the theory, stated? I have never heard this "theory" stated in words or print - most theories can be stated in words or print or mathmaticaly
Stop trying to deflect attention by asking for a definition of the theory while avoiding the examples of how it is being taught improperly in schools. You can review the CRT thread for those examples.

Teachers should be teaching students to think, not telling them what to think.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:23 am

The wiki version - plenty of links in there to other sources. It's been out there for several decades, but certainly has seen an academic resurgence in the last decade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

So a bunch of investors poured ginourmous sums of $ into a Ponzi scheme run by a twenty something/30 year old (he’s 30 now) who was the 2nd biggest donk donor? If I have that right I have zero sympathy for those who got fleeced..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:53 pm He‘s running.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/donald ... -president
Did you ever doubt whether he would?

He will also be the nominee.