Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Seattle Covid Response FTW

Post by kalm »

Less deaths, equal if not better economic outcomes.

Lockdowns work. :nod:
That gathering, three days before the World Health Organization declared a pandemic last March 11, set off a rush to contain the virus that included some of the country’s earliest orders to cancel large events, shutter restaurants and close schools, all in the hope that the dire possibilities in front of them would not come to pass.

One year later, the Seattle area has the lowest death rate of the 20 largest metropolitan regions in the country. If the rest of the United States had kept pace with Seattle, the nation could have avoided more than 300,000 coronavirus deaths.

During a year in which the White House downplayed the virus and other political leaders clashed over how to contain it, Seattle’s success illustrates the value of unified and timely strategies: Although the region’s public health experts and politicians grappled behind the scenes about how to best manage the virus, they came together to present a united front to the public. And the public largely complied.

The restrictions that have been in place off and on for the better part of a year have brought widespread disruption to lives and the economy. But as governors elsewhere have cited the economy as a reason to ease lockdowns, Seattle’s success showed that an alternative pathway was doable: Amid widespread economic turmoil, the state’s unemployment rate has been about average nationally, outperforming some places that have pressed ahead with wider reopenings, including Arizona and Texas.

There are numerous factors that have shaped the trajectory of the pandemic both locally and nationally. In part, public health experts said, Seattle may have benefited from its demographics: a healthy population living in small households and a lot of workers able to do their jobs from home. The city may have also have won more public support for the crackdowns from the shock of experiencing the nation’s first publicized deaths. The high humidity may have helped, scientists say, although the cold weather and gray skies probably did not.

Ali Mokdad, a professor of health metrics sciences at the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, said he was convinced the Seattle model could have been replicated, positively affecting the trajectory of the virus across the country.

Instead, he said, state after state reopened sooner than appropriate and members of the public ignored health advice that at times was undermined by conflicting messages from political and business leaders. Seattle, he said, shows what could have been.

“We have so many lessons we have learned here,” Dr. Mokdad said. “Unfortunately, not many people were listening
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/us/c ... G-M8TmnmRI
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Seattle Covid Response FTW

Post by 89Hen »

Seems like they say there are a lot of factors, not just lockdowns.

Didn't NY and NJ have some of the most restrictive lockdowns? They are #1 and #2 in deaths per capita.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Yay State of Washington! You can thank my Sister, in part.

Compliance is also a big factor.
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

For Inslee, getting his ass kicked by Oregon - no guts no glory ... a day late, a dollar short

The verdict is in on who did the vaccines right, Washington or Oregon. Hint: It wasn’t us.
Is it too soon to call this a knockout win — for Oregon? Maybe. You never know what’s next with this virus. But it sure looks like Oregon is sitting in a sweet spot at the moment while the state of Washington is left scrambling to catch up.

What happened is, Oregon ignored all the barbs and went ahead and got the shots for its teachers. When that didn’t lead to immediate school re-openings as hoped, the governor last week brought down the hammer.

“Whether or not public schools should return kids to the classroom this spring is no longer up for discussion,” she said.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:25 pm Seems like they say there are a lot of factors, not just lockdowns.

Didn't NY and NJ have some of the most restrictive lockdowns? They are #1 and #2 in deaths per capita.
Of course there are a lot of factors which can shed some light on NY NJ question.

The big takeaways are 1) unified leadership and messaging which lead to 2) equal or less deaths with equal if not better economic outcomes. And the final results are still not in.

Surprised the “lockdowns don’t work” - “open everything back up and the scaredy cats can hide in fear” brigade haven’t commented yet.

:|
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:55 pm For Inslee, getting his ass kicked by Oregon - no guts no glory ... a day late, a dollar short

The verdict is in on who did the vaccines right, Washington or Oregon. Hint: It wasn’t us.
Is it too soon to call this a knockout win — for Oregon? Maybe. You never know what’s next with this virus. But it sure looks like Oregon is sitting in a sweet spot at the moment while the state of Washington is left scrambling to catch up.

What happened is, Oregon ignored all the barbs and went ahead and got the shots for its teachers. When that didn’t lead to immediate school re-openings as hoped, the governor last week brought down the hammer.

“Whether or not public schools should return kids to the classroom this spring is no longer up for discussion,” she said.
Inslee isn’t perfect but I’d still take him over most governors in Covid response.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:12 am
89Hen wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:25 pm Seems like they say there are a lot of factors, not just lockdowns.

Of course there are a lot of factors which can shed some light on NY NJ question.

The big takeaways are 1) unified leadership and messaging which lead to 2) equal or less deaths with equal if not better economic outcomes. And the final results are still not in.
So the results aren't in and there are many factors, but you're declaring victory for Seattle. Check.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:31 am

So the results aren't in and there are many factors, but you're declaring victory for Seattle. Check.
Somewhat tongue in cheek for the thread title but this was predicted a year ago by some economists based on history as well as current science and culture.

I will also be surprised if the economic outcomes don’t continue to further the trend.

But please feel free to provide a counter argument. I’m genuinely all ears.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

So, you gotta account for all the nuance and everything when talking about New Jersey and New York, but not when talking about one of the younger, whiter, and wealthier states like Washington? :suspicious:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:47 am So, you gotta account for all the nuance and everything when talking about New Jersey and New York, but not when talking about one of the younger, whiter, and wealthier states like Washington? :suspicious:
The article literally acknowledged that point.

Reading, without confirmation bias is our friend. :thumb:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Peer reviewed Stanford study shows lockdowns provided no appreciable benefit over common sense.

Stay away from sick people and wash your hands. No need to lockdown, just like we did for H1N1.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eci.13484
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:12 pm Peer reviewed Stanford study shows lockdowns provided no appreciable benefit over common sense.

Stay away from sick people and wash your hands. No need to lockdown, just like we did for H1N1.

That is not all that study says. And the two control groups, South Korea and Sweden, DID do closures, restrictions, and South Korea required Masks.
:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:38 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:12 pm Peer reviewed Stanford study shows lockdowns provided no appreciable benefit over common sense.

That is not all that study says. And the two control groups, South Korea and Sweden, DID do closures, restrictions, and South Korea required Masks.
:nod:

I didn’t read far enough to see if/how they accounted for voluntary social distancing as well as the truthiness of following the guidelines.

EG: “I followed all the rules but still got Covid” she said as the Uber took off for her to bring the new baby over to see Aunt Karen at the family BBQ.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Surprised the “lockdowns don’t work” - “open everything back up and the scaredy cats can hide in fear” brigade haven’t commented yet.

Yawn. Cases started magically disappearing after Jan 20. This was all political from the jump.

Oh and WA was smart enough to not force China Virus patients into nursing homes. :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:20 pm

Yawn. Cases started magically disappearing after Jan 20. This was all political from the jump.

Oh and WA was smart enough to not force China Virus patients into nursing homes. :coffee:
Minnesota active cases have been going up the last 3 weeks. Frickin Brazilian or UK or some other mutant version in the West Metro.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:40 pm

Minnesota active cases have been going up the last 3 weeks. Frickin Brazilian or UK or some other mutant version in the West Metro.
CA is down to 7 day new cases avg of 3,445 which is the lowest its been since October (and almost as low as pre blm riots/protests) and counties are in a race to see who can lower their "emergecy tier" the fastest. I'm sure the Newsom recall has absolutely nothing to do with that. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

You are tenacious. :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:40 pm Frickin Brazilian or UK or some other mutant version
Racist :ohno:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:34 am

:nod: but just to be sure, can we get a reading?

My understanding is that UK is acceptable (it's ok to mock/ridicule/put down people from a majority white, imperialistic nation) but Brazilian is probably racist (darker-skinned, Latino, slave or native heritage, victims of imperialism).
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:08 am
kalm wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:34 am

My understanding is that UK is acceptable (it's ok to mock/ridicule/put down people from a majority white, imperialistic nation) but Brazilian is probably racist (darker-skinned, Latino, slave or native heritage, victims of imperialism).
:?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:22 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:08 am

Then tell me why calling it the "China Virus" or similar is racist but the UK variant isn't?

The Brazilians aren't nearly as good at manipulating public opinion as the Chinese so that's probably why the "Brazilian" variant hasn't been flagged as racist yet.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:45 am

Then tell me why calling it the "China Virus" or similar is racist but the UK variant isn't?

The Brazilians aren't nearly as good at manipulating public opinion as the Chinese so that's probably why the "Brazilian" variant hasn't been flagged as racist yet.
Brazil doesn't own America like China does.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

That’s better Captain No-Segue.

I’d not say calling it the China Virus is racist. I’m saying racists call it the China virus.

:mrgreen:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:35 am

The Chinese don't own America but they do have lickspittles like LeBron James, Barbara Boxer and Antony Blinken to carry their water for them, promoting and protecting Chinese interests and defending the CCP from criticism for their oppression of Hong Kong or the Uyghurs.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:30 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:35 am

The Chinese don't own America but they do have lickspittles like LeBron James, Barbara Boxer and Antony Blinken to carry their water for them, promoting and protecting Chinese interests and defending the CCP from criticism for their oppression of Hong Kong or the Uyghurs.
China owns over a trillion $$ of our debt, and a high percentage of pharmaceuticals that we consume. That's just a couple quick searches after a long bike ride.