Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Take Your Ball and Go Home, Georgia

Post by kalm »

MLB pulling the All Star Game from Atlanta over Georgia’s new election laws. Pressure also coming from Delta, Coke, and Hollywood.

Consequences. :nod:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... 7VSDekYaWQ
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Take Your Ball and Go Home, Georgia

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:29 pm MLB pulling the All Star Game from Atlanta over Georgia’s new election laws. Pressure also coming from Delta, Coke, and Hollywood.

This must be one of the happiest days in your life. :coffee:

Too bad we don't hold the NBA to same standard.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:44 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:29 pm MLB pulling the All Star Game from Atlanta over Georgia’s new election laws. Pressure also coming from Delta, Coke, and Hollywood.

Or too bad the NBA doesn't attempt to hold China to an even lower standard than MLB is attempting to hold Georgia.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

You’d think these companies, when making decisions that will affect their bottom lines, would at least tell us which parts of the law they find so Jim Crow-ey

Hope MLB finds a state with less Jim Crow-ey election laws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:44 pm

You attended one of the happiest ones.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Maybe klam can tell us what about the GA law triggers him

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

I'll make it a point to spend more time & $$ in GA..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:02 pm You’d think these companies, when making decisions that will affect their bottom lines, would at least tell us which parts of the law they find so Jim Crow-ey

I don't know about Jim Crow but the part that really caught my attention is the part described in this article:

https://www.ajc.com/politics/georgia-bi ... Z2GZIEQEE/
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:25 pm
CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:02 pm You’d think these companies, when making decisions that will affect their bottom lines, would at least tell us which parts of the law they find so Jim Crow-ey

I don't know about Jim Crow but the part that really caught my attention is the part described in this article:

PAYWALL
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:BTW, for people who think the Fact Checkers don't fact check both sides, check out this Politifact thing on the proposition that the Georgia law prohibits giving water to people standing in line:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... ways-vote/

It rates the claim as "Mostly False."
WaPo gave Biden 4 Pinocchios but he keeps lying about the law

But really a surprise from the “they gonna put y’all back in chains” demagogue

We’ll see how much longer Glenn Kessler is employed by the WaPo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ecidivist/

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:19 pm Maybe klam can tell us what about the GA law triggers him

I'd like to hear about that as well.

It would also be good to explain why what Georgia is doing is so egregious but how it might be ok to have similar requirements & restrictions for proof of vaccination.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:19 pm Maybe klam can tell us what about the GA law triggers him

Here's one take on why the new law will hit Black voters: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/us/p ... oters.html

Frankly I think the Republican Party continues to slit its own throat with respect to the long term. They're doing stuff like this to try to reduce Black voting and it may help them in 2023. But non Whites can see what is going on. And non Whites continue to increase as a proportion of the population both nationally and in Georgia.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:32 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:25 pm

PAYWALL
If that means you're being told you have to pay to see the content I can only say that I just Googled it and it didn't say that to me.

Here is the text of the article:
Decisions about Georgia elections, such as vote counting and polling place closures, could be made by appointees of Republican state officials empowered to take over local election operations, according to a bill awaiting final votes.

Under the proposal, the Republican-controlled State Election Board would be able to replace struggling county election boards and install new management, with broad authority over elections and results.

State takeovers of local election offices could change the outcome of future elections, especially if they’re as hotly contested as last year’s presidential race between Democrat Joe Biden and Republican Donald Trump. County election boards decide on challenges to voters’ eligibility, polling place closures and certification of results.

Efforts to change election oversight in Georgia come after Trump made unsubstantiated claims that the election was stolen. Recounts, both by hand and machine, confirmed Biden won by about 12,000 votes in Georgia. State election officials have said there’s no evidence of widespread fraud.

The county at the top of the list for potential state intervention is Fulton County, the heavily Democratic population center of metro Atlanta that Republicans blame for their statewide losses.

Critics of the proposal say it would usurp authority from county election boards, often run by volunteers appointed by each political party or county commissions. The bill calls for one person appointed by the state to oversee a county’s election operations.

“That is an un-American, undemocratic, authoritarian process that our country cannot live with,” said Marilyn Marks, executive director for the Coalition for Good Governance, an election transparency organization. “The government could basically say: ‘Move aside, public process. Move aside, bipartisan efforts. We’re taking it.’ ”

Supporters of the measure say some county election offices, such as Fulton’s, need help after 2020 elections stained by long lines in the primary and suspicions about ballot security. They say the state government should step in when local governments fail.

“If you have a chronically underperforming county, where people aren’t having their right to vote adjudicated as well as it could, this will at least provide some potential relief to fix that situation,” said state Rep. Barry Fleming, a Republican from Harlem and chairman of the House Special Committee on Election Integrity.

The county election board takeover proposals are included within broad election overhaul measures, Senate Bill 202 and House Bill 531, which are scheduled for votes in each chamber starting Thursday. The legislation would also require voter ID for absentee ballots, expand weekend voting in general elections and limit ballot drop boxes.

Both bills would allow the State Election Board to seek the removal of county election boards for poor performance. The measure that cleared the House goes further. It would remove the secretary of state as the chairperson of the State Election Board and replace him with an appointee of the General Assembly. That would give a majority of the board to the General Assembly, which already appoints two of its members.

Alex Wan, the new chairman of the Fulton election board, said the county has made significant changes since the “catastrophe” of the the primary, when coronavirus-related precinct closures and undelivered absentee ballots resulted in some voters waiting in line for three hours or more.

The presidential election went smoothly for most voters after the county opened nearly 100 additional voting locations. Wan said the county is also increasing absentee ballot security and centralizing operations in one location.

“This concentration of control and influence of elections in the state Legislature is really alarming,” Wan said. “We still have a way to go, but we’re making improvements. To have the threat of the state coming in and changing course in the middle of that improvement is a disservice to Fulton County voters.”

Senate President Pro Tem Butch Miller, a Republican from Gainesville, said state interventions would assist local election offices, not undermine them.

“This would help those counties who are habitually offending, delinquent or problematic,” Miller said. “Let’s equip people to do their jobs and support them in the role of their job.”

Miller said the bill wouldn’t be used to reverse election results certified by county election boards. County election boards could only be replaced after a hearing before the State Election Board.

But in counties with open election investigations, skeptics say, it’s possible that hearings would have already occurred before an election, and then county officials could be quickly ousted before vote counts are certified.

“They can wholesale replace those election administrators and put folks from the other side of the state in charge,” said Lauren Groh-Wargo, CEO of the voting rights group Fair Fight. “All in the name of being able to delay certification of elections, continue the lie of voter fraud and consolidating power. It will make what we lived through in 2020 child’s play.”

Election board takeover proposals
Senate Bill 202: The secretary of state would be removed as the chairperson of the State Election Board, which would be empowered to conduct investigations and hearings into counties with allegations of election problems. Then up to four county election boards at a time could be replaced by a single person with authority to run the county’s elections for at least nine months.

House Bill 531: The State Election Board could recommend the removal of a county election board based on incompetence or inability to perform its duties. Then the county’s legislative delegation by majority vote could remove the election board and replace it with a person of its choosing. Replacement election superintendents would serve until the following Jan. 1 or conclusion of any runoffs.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Can you just imagine a situation in which a Republican controlled State government asserts that the Fulton County election board is "struggling" so the State needs to take over and decide which votes are counted and which are not?
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Here's one take on why the new law will hit Black voters: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/us/p ... oters.html

Frankly I think the Republican Party continues to slit its own throat with respect to the long term. They're doing stuff like this to try to reduce Black voting and it may help them in 2023. But non Whites can see what is going on. And non Whites continue to increase as a proportion of the population both nationally and in Georgia.
Keep on posting fake news JSO.
NYT Lie #1
making it a crime to provide food or water to people waiting in line to vote.
FACT: Like the countless other states that have very specific laws against electioneering near polling places, Georgia has codified rules preventing political groups from handing out food or water to voters in line as an incentive to vote, but specifically allows poll workers to make water available to anyone who wants it. The law will also directly cut down wait times, meaning refreshment for people waiting in line will be less necessary.
https://redstate.com/sister-toldjah/202 ... et-n353906
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:

If you actually read that detail-bereft article and came away thinking the GA law limits black voters then you really are suffering from a cognitive issue, John

The intro para directly under the headline says “according to Democrats and voting rights groups” (also Democrats)

The ONE detail in that entire bilge purge of an article refers to Sunday voting hours. Yet again, Dems infantilize black people, NYT laps it up, and nobody cares to explain why blacks would only flock to the polls after attending church

really dude. I know the past 4 years damaged you but I didnt realize it hit you all the way down in the brain stem

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

And look, we all know what this is. The 2020 Georgia election went fine. There were no significant fraud problems. There were no significant irregularity problems. This is a solution to something that is not a problem. It's happening because the national election results weren't what the Republicans wanted them to be. So they are trying to repress voting among constituencies that do not favor them to make it less likely that such will happen again. It's obvious.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:45 pm And look, we all know what this is. The 2020 Georgia election went fine. There were no significant fraud problems. There were no significant irregularity problems. This is a solution to something that is not a problem. It's happening because the national election results weren't what the Republicans wanted them to be. So they are trying to repress voting among constituencies that do not favor them to make it less likely that such will happen again. It's obvious.
:dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:34 pm

I'd like to hear about that as well.

It would also be good to explain why what Georgia is doing is so egregious but how it might be ok to have similar requirements & restrictions for proof of vaccination.
x3 :coffee:

I am curious how many posters commenting here have even read the entire bill?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:And look, we all know what this is. The 2020 Georgia election went fine. There were no significant fraud problems. There were no significant irregularity problems. This is a solution to something that is not a problem. It's happening because the national election results weren't what the Republicans wanted them to be. So they are trying to repress voting among constituencies that do not favor them to make it less likely that such will happen again. It's obvious.
There is certainly some truth to that

But we have a plurality of Americans who cast a raised eyebrow at various states’ election systems and verification methods

I have no issue with trying to shore up that issue - because in most states voting regs ARE lax. And when this law goes through and Magatards want to claim endemic fraud in the next election in GA they will have an even bigger uphill climb

I see zero harm in this election bill. I also do not regards black people as imbeciles the way progressives do

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:45 pm
JohnStOnge wrote:

If you actually read that detail-bereft article and came away thinking the GA law limits black voters then you really are suffering from a cognitive issue, John

The intro para directly under the headline says “according to Democrats and voting rights groups” (also Democrats)

The ONE detail in that entire bilge purge of an article refers to Sunday voting hours. Yet again, Dems infantilize black people, NYT laps it up, and nobody cares to explain why blacks would only flock to the polls after attending church

really dude. I know the past 4 years damaged you but I didnt realize it hit you all the way down in the brain stem

You know there is a lot more to it than that. Yes, the intro talks about what Democrats and voting rights groups say." But there is nothing in the content of the article to suggest that it is based on what Democrats and voting rights groups say.

There is a statement about making it illegal to provide water associated with a statement that long lines are common in Black neighborhoods.

Give it up man. This law is CLEARLY designed to try to cut down on Black voting. It is what it is.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Winterborn wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:34 pm I'd like to hear about that as well.

x3 :coffee:

I am curious how many posters commenting here have even read the entire bill?
I read it after all the hoopla

Good thing I got that reading in before the Capital attack today... because I’ve been busy watching half my Shitebook friends delete or modify their initial posts today. Not much time for reading state bills

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:52 pm
JohnStOnge wrote:And look, we all know what this is. The 2020 Georgia election went fine. There were no significant fraud problems. There were no significant irregularity problems. This is a solution to something that is not a problem. It's happening because the national election results weren't what the Republicans wanted them to be. So they are trying to repress voting among constituencies that do not favor them to make it less likely that such will happen again. It's obvious.
There is certainly some truth to that

But we have a plurality of Americans who cast a raised eyebrow at various states’ election systems and verification methods
I do not think it was a plurality. I think the majority think the election was sound. But, in any case, the only reason why even a substantial minority think there was a problem is because Trump and other Republicans pushed the "Big Lie."
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:45 pm If you actually read that detail-bereft article and came away thinking the GA law limits black voters then you really are suffering from a cognitive issue, John

You know there is a lot more to it than that. Yes, the intro talks about what Democrats and voting rights groups say." But there is nothing in the content of the article to suggest that it is based on what Democrats and voting rights groups say.

There is a statement about making it illegal to provide water associated with a statement that long lines are common in Black neighborhoods.

Give it up man. This law is CLEARLY designed to try to cut down on Black voting. It is what it is.
Wronge

Electioneering within 150 or so feet from polling places is illegal in nearly every state

The whole water thing closes a loophole that was being exploited. AND the GA law requires polling places to provide water within those areas

AND - you are parsing out what the NYT actually wrote much in the same way a Trumper parses Trump’s tweets

You are the same as them

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:52 pm There is certainly some truth to that

I do not think it was a plurality. I think the majority think the election was sound. But, in any case, the only reason why even a substantial minority think there was a problem is because Trump and other Republicans pushed the "Big Lie."
Your OCD has completely replaced whatever reason you used to have so I’m done debating you for a couple years again

I said my piece. It can’t be refuted with facts or reason