A question for all of you more "woke" people on the board...

Political discussions
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

Why is the term "Oriental" an offensive way to refer to a person of eastern Asian descent? My wife's friend blasted me recently for referring to an eastern Asian girl as "Oriental". Her response was that "Oriental" refers to a rug and not a person. I said, "I'm Polish and that can be a person or a sausage, so what's the difference?" So. please school me - why is "Oriental" offensive when "Asian" is not, even though "Oriental" is a more exact description.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: A question for all of you more "woke" people on the board...

Post by dbackjon »

I used my special Woke Decoder Ring (free with the purchase of 10 items at Lee's Oriental Market in Rochester, NY) to find these:

https://www.pbs.org/video/why-do-we-say ... al-4mohsx/

Also:

“It’s associated with a time period when Asians had a subordinate status,” Wu told the Times. People link the term to old stereotypes of Asian people and an era when the U.S. government passed exclusion acts to keep Asian people from entering the country, he said. “For many Asian Americans, it’s not just this term: It’s about much more…It’s about your legitimacy to be here.”

In the same article, historian Mae M. Ngai, author of "Impossible Subjects: Illegal Aliens and the Making of Modern America," explained that while Oriental isn’t a slur, it’s never been widely used by Asian people to describe themselves. Regarding the meaning of Oriental—Eastern—she said:

“I think it’s fallen into disfavor because it’s what other people call us. It’s only the East if you’re from somewhere else. It’s a Eurocentric name for us, which is why it’s wrong. You should call people by what (they) call themselves, not how they are situated in relation to yourself.”
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:18 pm Why is the term "Oriental" an offensive way to refer to a person of eastern Asian descent? My wife's friend blasted me recently for referring to an eastern Asian girl as "Oriental". Her response was that "Oriental" refers to a rug and not a person. I said, "I'm Polish and that can be a person or a sausage, so what's the difference?" So. please school me - why is "Oriental" offensive when "Asian" is not, even though "Oriental" is a more exact description.
BTW - is your wife's friend Asian?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

And for UNI88/Wayne/Clenz: Is your wife's friend hot?
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:Why is the term "Oriental" an offensive way to refer to a person of eastern Asian descent? My wife's friend blasted me recently for referring to an eastern Asian girl as "Oriental". Her response was that "Oriental" refers to a rug and not a person. I said, "I'm Polish and that can be a person or a sausage, so what's the difference?" So. please school me - why is "Oriental" offensive when "Asian" is not, even though "Oriental" is a more exact description.
Look, you have to consider the source when people get upset about using antiquated terms. These people are uptight. All activists are. In fact, being uptight is a prerequisite to activism. They have a permission slip to openly scold you now, so they do.

It has nothing to do with referring to an Asian person as “Oriental” being offensive. If it did, then they’d be equally concerned about the use of Mick, Jock, or Dago. But you can use those freely. It has everything to do with uptight people being perpetually unhappy and miserable, and perturbed that you aren’t unhappy and miserable too. So they spread it around.

I’ve found that if someone has the gall to speak to me impolitely, or break the terms of polite social interaction to imply that I am a racist for using a term they do not like, then I give it back to them times ten. Usually, that comes in the form of me saying something similar to, “Mind your own fucking business you wee, miserable scoldy cunt.”

One of two things usually happens: 1) they avoid me from that point on (good outcome) or 2) they at least pretend to be polite in future interactions (also good)

Now sometimes there is a third result of being asked to leave the Sunday School class, but that’s a small price to pay.

Addendum: I don’t use the word Oriental because I can tell between a fucking Thai, Korean or Vietnamese because I speak their languages and I also don’t live in the goddamn 19th century

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:55 pm And for UNI88/Wayne/Clenz: Is your wife's friend hot?
:rofl: We need pics SCBH!

If the answer to Jon's previous question is yes, is Wayne removed from consideration?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

CID1990 wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote:Why is the term "Oriental" an offensive way to refer to a person of eastern Asian descent? My wife's friend blasted me recently for referring to an eastern Asian girl as "Oriental". Her response was that "Oriental" refers to a rug and not a person. I said, "I'm Polish and that can be a person or a sausage, so what's the difference?" So. please school me - why is "Oriental" offensive when "Asian" is not, even though "Oriental" is a more exact description.
Addendum: I don’t use the word Oriental because I can tell between a fucking Thai, Korean or Vietnamese because I speak their languages and I also don’t live in the goddamn 19th century

Cool. "Asian" is acceptable though (for those of us if less cultured).

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: A question for all of you more

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:58 pm
Look, you have to consider the source when people get upset about using antiquated terms. These people are uptight. All activists are. In fact, being uptight is a prerequisite to activism. They have a permission slip to openly scold you now, so they do.

It has nothing to do with referring to an Asian person as “Oriental” being offensive. If it did, then they’d be equally concerned about the use of Mick, Jock, or Dago. But you can use those freely. It has everything to do with uptight people being perpetually unhappy and miserable, and perturbed that you aren’t unhappy and miserable too. So they spread it around.

I’ve found that if someone has the gall to speak to me impolitely, or break the terms of polite social interaction to imply that I am a racist for using a term they do not like, then I give it back to them times ten. Usually, that comes in the form of me saying something similar to, “Mind your own fucking business you wee, miserable scoldy cunt.”

One of two things usually happens: 1) they avoid me from that point on (good outcome) or 2) they at least pretend to be polite in future interactions (also good)

Now sometimes there is a third result of being asked to leave the Sunday School class, but that’s a small price to pay.

CID flys in, KILLS it, and departs. /thread.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

I find if you just call them all Chinese it seems to work. And then blame them for the virus.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:24 pm
CID1990 wrote: Addendum: I don’t use the word Oriental because I can tell between a fucking Thai, Korean or Vietnamese because I speak their languages and I also don’t live in the goddamn 19th century

Cool. "Asian" is acceptable though (for those of us if less cultured).

:pics:
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

As a side note, I can't look at someone from Europe and know where they're from either.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:45 pm As a side note, I can't look at someone from Europe and know where they're from either.

Those damn occidentals all look the same ..
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:45 pm As a side note, I can't look at someone from Europe and know where they're from either.

Except the Micks - they are all drunk.

And the damn Krauts, always trying to take over things

And the Greasy Wops are easy to spot

The Frogs can be spotted by the white flag berets

The English when they smile

Hard to tell the Polacks and Ukrains apart - but easy to spot the dumbasses
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

dbackjon wrote:

Since I have a little bit of all of the above in me, I find myself trying to identify my primary characteristic.

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:45 pm
dbackjon wrote:

Since I have a little bit of all of the above in me, I find myself trying to identify my primary characteristic.

Greasy Drunk Stupid White Guy with Bad Teeth that is torn between conquering and surrendering?
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

dbackjon wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:45 pm Since I have a little bit of all of the above in me, I find myself trying to identify my primary characteristic.

Greasy Drunk Stupid White Guy with Bad Teeth that is torn between conquering and surrendering?
I have nice teeth

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:03 pm
dbackjon wrote:
I have good dental insurance and nice teeth

FYP :D
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:18 pm Why is the term "Oriental" an offensive way to refer to a person of eastern Asian descent? My wife's friend blasted me recently for referring to an eastern Asian girl as "Oriental". Her response was that "Oriental" refers to a rug and not a person. I said, "I'm Polish and that can be a person or a sausage, so what's the difference?" So. please school me - why is "Oriental" offensive when "Asian" is not, even though "Oriental" is a more exact description.
An old neighbor who was like a grandpa to me, would greet my brother’s Chinese-Hawaiian wife with “And how’s my little Chinamen?”

I think she would have preferred “oriental”.
Last edited by kalm on Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

First of all, it's not an exclusively offensive/racist term. But let's be honest, "oriental" is almost never used correctly.

As with many words, it's made offensive by people using it maliciously. People use it derogatorily or as a dog whistle, then play dumb as to why everyone is so offended. Most "woke" people can tell when it's being used offensively vs. incorrectly, but it's usually offensively.

More importantly though, East Asians rarely call themselves "oriental." Like CID said, they're Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.

Also "the orient" is not a particularly good geographic term and should be phased out of lexicon. The Middle East was "the orient" at one point, then Persia...then India and East Asia...according to the British Empire...which doesn't exist. This isn't 200 years ago.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:47 am First of all, it's not an exclusively offensive/racist term. But let's be honest, "oriental" is almost never used correctly.

As with many words, it's made offensive by people using it maliciously. People use it derogatorily or as a dog whistle, then play dumb as to why everyone is so offended. Most "woke" people can tell when it's being used offensively vs. incorrectly, but it's usually offensively.

More importantly though, East Asians rarely call themselves "oriental." Like CID said, they're Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.

Also "the orient" is not a particularly good geographic term and should be phased out of lexicon. The Middle East was "the orient" at one point, then Persia...then India and East Asia...according to the British Empire...which doesn't exist. This isn't 200 years ago.
:lol:

Most 'woke' people are offended by everything and everyone who doesn't fit inside their little dysfunctional round box.

Here is a lesson I learned from this little oriental lady a long time ago.
Oriental = Objects
Asian = People
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Nah, most people can tell from tone, context, and history with a person if they're being offensive or not. Minorities aren't dumb. A friend who's been there my whole life calling me a "aaaaa-rab" = funny. Some random dude in grocery store doing it = red flags.

Better rule: don't use certain terms unless you know that person well, in which you'll know if they care or not. As for oriental itself, i
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

When I was young and single, I would ask women if they had any Irish or Scandinavian in them. If they said no, I would ask them if they would like some. :oops:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:26 pm

The Polacks are the ones screwing in lightbulbs by running in circles...
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:59 am Nah, most people can tell from tone, context, and history with a person if they're being offensive or not. Minorities aren't dumb. A friend who's been there my whole life calling me a "aaaaa-rab" = funny. Some random dude in grocery store doing it = red flags.

Better rule: don't use certain terms unless you know that person well, in which you'll know if they care or not. As for oriental itself, i
I think Baldy nailed it above:
Asian - People
Oriental - Objects

I've yet to find a "woke" person in real life that doesn't get offended, regardless of tone, context and our mutual history. As a Catholic, I was called a "fish eater" once. To this day I still laugh. I didn't realize that was supposed to be offensive.

I would love to know how many woke leftis (especially the vegan/vegetarian ones) are chowing down on this

Or are buying from www.orientaltrading.com. Or have traveled and stayed at https://www.mandarinoriental.com/.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:25 am
dbackjon wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:26 pm

The Polacks are the ones screwing in lightbulbs by running in circles...
Shockingly, I'm half Polish and not the least bit offended by that.