More Libertarian Looney Tunes from Delaware

Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

More Libertarian Looney Tunes from Delaware

Post by Ivytalk »

I attended my last Delaware Libertarian Party convention as a board member over the weekend. I didn’t seek re-election so I could focus more on my duties as one of Delaware’s two elected Libertarian office holders (town councilman). I also got tired of the bullshit.

The convention degenerated into a shouting match between members of the LP Mises Caucus — whose website portrays the group as adherents of Austrian-school economics, although most of them haven’t read Mises or Hayek — and what I’d sardonically call party “regulars.” Actually, the Mises folks are a bunch of power-hungry punks who are trying to take over state libertarian groups across the country. This year, they took control of the New Castle County party, and ended the convention in chaos by screaming that they were robbed in Kent County. They now hold a third of the state board seats. It was embarrassing: last year’s LP candidate for VPOTUS, Spike Cohen, was there and gave two great talks.* But even he looked disgusted at the end of the session.

On a personal level, I was pissed. I was scheduled to give a 10-minute speech about my libertarian approach on town council, and several other talks were also abruptly cancelled (including one by a Dover lawyer on pending cannabis legislation). All of the speakers are supposed to get written apologies from the state board, but I haven’t seen anything yet. The whole exercise reinforces the popular image of the party as a bunch of Judean People’s Front splinter groups. Go ahead and pile on.

* AZ should Google Spike’s wife, Tasha. :thumb:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: More Libertarian Looney Tunes from Delaware

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:38 am I attended my last Delaware Libertarian Party convention as a board member over the weekend. I didn’t seek re-election so I could focus more on my duties as one of Delaware’s two elected Libertarian office holders (town councilman). I also got tired of the bullshit.

The convention degenerated into a shouting match between members of the LP Mises Caucus — whose website portrays the group as adherents of Austrian-school economics, although most of them haven’t read Mises or Hayek — and what I’d sardonically call party “regulars.” Actually, the Mises folks are a bunch of power-hungry punks who are trying to take over state libertarian groups across the country. This year, they took control of the New Castle County party, and ended the convention in chaos by screaming that they were robbed in Kent County. They now hold a third of the state board seats. It was embarrassing: last year’s LP candidate for VPOTUS, Spike Cohen, was there and gave two great talks.* But even he looked disgusted at the end of the session.

On a personal level, I was pissed. I was scheduled to give a 10-minute speech about my libertarian approach on town council, and several other talks were also abruptly cancelled (including one by a Dover lawyer on pending cannabis legislation). All of the speakers are supposed to get written apologies from the state board, but I haven’t seen anything yet. The whole exercise reinforces the popular image of the party as a bunch of Judean People’s Front splinter groups. Go ahead and pile on.

* AZ should Google Spike’s wife, Tasha. :thumb:
Well that is a shame that the convention devolved in to a shouting match. The LP doesn't stand a chance against the other 2 parties if they've got problems like that at a local level.

Btw - It's good to see you back. Were you elected in 2020?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Thanks, Mark. I was appointed last year to fill a vacancy, and I was re-elected this year for a full 3-year term. Town elections in DE are nonpartisan, so fairly few local people even know that I’m a Libertarian. But your point is a good one. There are way too many “quien es mas Libertarian” spats that inhibit party growth.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:59 am Thanks, Mark. I was appointed last year to fill a vacancy, and I was re-elected this year for a full 3-year term. Town elections in DE are nonpartisan, so fairly few local people even know that I’m a Libertarian. But your point is a good one. There are way too many “quien es mas Libertarian” spats that inhibit party growth.
Your wit and wisdom has been missed. :nod: and congrats, sir. :clap: :clap: :notworthy:

I would love for a 3rd party to take hold nationally but I believe it has to come from the local levels up through the states. I'm not familiar with what the SC or NC LPs - I probably should follow them more closely.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

It's that kind of stuff that has kept me from getting involved. I'm wondering if I need to get involved to try and help the party move forward.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:08 am
Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:59 am Thanks, Mark. I was appointed last year to fill a vacancy, and I was re-elected this year for a full 3-year term. Town elections in DE are nonpartisan, so fairly few local people even know that I’m a Libertarian. But your point is a good one. There are way too many “quien es mas Libertarian” spats that inhibit party growth.
Your wit and wisdom has been missed. :nod: and congrats, sir. :clap: :clap: :notworthy:

I would love for a 3rd party to take hold nationally but I believe it has to come from the local levels up through the states. I'm not familiar with what the SC or NC LPs - I probably should follow them more closely.
The party is focusing closely on winnable state and local races, especially uncontested ones like town councils, township supervisors, school boards, and occasional state legislative seats. Building from the ground up is exactly the strategy.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:14 am It's that kind of stuff that has kept me from getting involved. I'm wondering if I need to get involved to try and help the party move forward.
Are you registered with any party? Check out one of your local city or county LP meetings and see what you think.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:37 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:08 am

The party is focusing closely on winnable state and local races, especially uncontested ones like town councils, township supervisors, school boards, and occasional state legislative seats. Building from the ground up is exactly the strategy.
That is the only way it will ever happen.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:39 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:14 am It's that kind of stuff that has kept me from getting involved. I'm wondering if I need to get involved to try and help the party move forward.
Are you registered with any party? Check out one of your local city or county LP meetings and see what you think.
Nope, I've been a GDI (God damned independent since the 1990 elections). I don't know which Libertarian Party of Oregon to join ... Libertarians on the road to resolving split
Hedbor says libertarians are all "philosophers" of one kind or another, who can find something to argue about until the cows come home. However, he says, by the same token, they tend to agree ideologically, if not in terms of how the party should be structured.

"It's like herding cats," said Hedbor. "But they're all cats who have the same sort of basic understanding of what we're trying to accomplish."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:28 am
Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:39 am

Nope, I've been a GDI (God damned independent since the 1990 elections). I don't know which Libertarian Party of Oregon to join ... Libertarians on the road to resolving split
Hedbor says libertarians are all "philosophers" of one kind or another, who can find something to argue about until the cows come home. However, he says, by the same token, they tend to agree ideologically, if not in terms of how the party should be structured.

"It's like herding cats," said Hedbor. "But they're all cats who have the same sort of basic understanding of what we're trying to accomplish."
Join the one with the boot hatted wizard dude at the forefront. Listened to him on a podcast. That dude is rad. :nod:
Last edited by kalm on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Welcome back!

My brother has previously been active in the LP in WV and IA and gave up for similar reasons.

Congrats on being elected to the town council. That makes 3 of us on here that are elected officials now. What kind of fun city stuff are you dealing with? My old city manager hat always makes me curious. :D
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:57 am Welcome back!

My brother has previously been active in the LP in WV and IA and gave up for similar reasons.

Congrats on being elected to the town council. That makes 3 of us on here that are elected officials now. What kind of fun city stuff are you dealing with? My old city manager hat always makes me curious. :D
Mostly feral cats, dilapidated structures, and unmowed yards. The real sexy stuff. You?

Also ordinance code revision, which I’m quarterbacking. :nod:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:20 am

Mostly feral cats, dilapidated structures, and unmowed yards. The real sexy stuff. You?

Dilapidated structures get me so moist....
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:38 am * AZ should Google Spike’s wife, Tasha. :thumb:
Well, hello!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:20 am

Dilapidated structures brings back memories. I think we got around 20 demolished during my tenure. Had a slum lord chew be out once because we were forcing demo on sturctures he would have bought and added to his slum lord domain.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

More lunacy from the Delaware libertarians.... :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-ha ... labor-laws
The Libertarian Party of New Hampshire ignited a social media firestorm this week when it called for the legalization of child labor.

"Legalize child labor. Children will learn more on a job site than in public school," the New Hampshire Libertarian Party wrote on Twitter on Monday. "At the very least, the minimum age to work is a states' rights issue. Federal minimum work ages are unconstitutional."
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:56 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:38 am * AZ should Google Spike’s wife, Tasha. :thumb:
Well, hello!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
For those too lazy to google...

:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:09 am More lunacy from the Delaware libertarians.... :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

The Libertarian Party of New Hampshire ignited a social media firestorm this week when it called for the legalization of child labor.

"Legalize child labor. Children will learn more on a job site than in public school," the New Hampshire Libertarian Party wrote on Twitter on Monday. "At the very least, the minimum age to work is a states' rights issue. Federal minimum work ages are unconstitutional."
Why am I liking this child labor idea?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:31 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:09 am More lunacy from the Delaware libertarians.... :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Why am I liking this child labor idea?
Gotta help that Golf Course bottom line.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Delaware libertarians?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:19 pm

Delaware libertarians?
Delaware, New Hampshire - same place. Just like Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:26 pm
Delaware libertarians?
Delaware, New Hampshire - same place. Just like Idaho, Montana and Eastern Washington.
FYP ;)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Delaware libertarians?
Delaware, New Hampshire - same place. Just like Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.
Exactly. :rofl: :dunce:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:28 pm

Delaware, New Hampshire - same place. Just like Idaho, Montana and Eastern Washington.
FYP ;)
Idaho is a whole bunch of next level stupid squeezed in between the others. Militant Mormons in the south and Illinois nazis in the north.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:39 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:28 pm

FYP ;)
Idaho is a whole bunch of next level stupid squeezed in between the others. Militant Mormons in the south and Illinois nazis in the north.