Political discussions
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

COVID, Global warming, Evolution...all the same

Post by SeattleGriz »

COVID has gloriously brought the travesty of science to the forefront. Science as performed is shit.

Bring it on fuckfaces.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: COVID, Global warming, Evolution...all the same

Post by kalm »

I want my science instantly gratifying and delivered directly to my armchair!

Or else I ain’t playing!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

4:00 am?! Get some rest, son.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:02 am I want my science instantly gratifying and delivered directly to my armchair!

Or else I ain’t playing!
Extactly! Don't forget you want it served up how YOU decide. That's the best science.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:08 am 4:00 am?! Get some rest, son.
Real science never sleeps. You sleep, then you get shit science like COVID, Global warming and Evolution. :nod:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Theories are only as good as their predictions.

How have the big three fared?

COVID - There is no immunity...whoops.
Global Warming - We only have 9 years to prevent a cataclysmic event...whoops.
Evolution - Everything is determined by mutation and natural selection...whoops.

You see the pattern? Absolutely zero discussion outside the narrative is allowed, even when the narrative falls on its face.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:15 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:02 am I want my science instantly gratifying and delivered directly to my armchair!

Or else I ain’t playing!
Extactly! Don't forget you want it served up how YOU decide. That's the best science.
That's the ONLY science these days. It's settled. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :suspicious:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:48 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:15 am

That's the ONLY science these days. It's settled. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :suspicious:
By settled, we all now see how that really means, "How do I keep my gravy train on the tracks".
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:54 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:48 am

By settled, we all now see how that really means, "How do I keep my gravy train on the tracks".
No doubt. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

"Science" is nothing more than "Follow the money...." :suspicious: :suspicious:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 am

My favorite was when Newsweek published an article talking about how global warming 'science deniers' had a whole 50 million sent to their purpose, while failing to mention 'science believers' were given 2 billion in funding.

We also see how the scientists who backed the lab leak theory quickly backtracked when confronted by the man who gave them funding.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:09 am COVID has gloriously brought the travesty of science to the forefront. Science as performed is [bleep].

Bring it on [bleep].
While I disagree with the vocabulary, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment. In a society where left-wing "science" is venerated almost like a religion (if you didn't get your Ph.D. from a P5 school or MIT or you have a right-wing philosophy, you're silenced) and the "leaders" claim that the "science is settled," there's something VERY wrong. That mentality goes against the very nature of science, which has always been about checking and re-checking results with a questioning mind, ad infinitum. If the world had pulled this trash back in the day, Galileo would have been shut up, and Darwin wouldn't have gotten famous....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case, at least in terms of excuses....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:09 am COVID has gloriously brought the travesty of science to the forefront. Science as performed is shit.

Bring it on fuckfaces.
Nearly all covid deaths in May, are people that didn't get vaccinated.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:thumb:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 am No doubt. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

There is at least a certain amount of truth to that -

There are wide swaths of scientific inquiry that can only be followed if you are doing it solely out of pocket- because you will not get a grant from any government that considers your work to be politically vulnerable.

If you ARE getting public largesse for your work, then there is pressure to mask inconvenient findings/conclusions. Especially when your income stream could be in jeopardy

On the flip side, profit is also a huge motivator, and it is the reason why, in less than a year, 3 different western pharma companies independently produced a wildly efficacious vaccine for COVID, using a highly advanced new technique. I don’t think enough people really recognize how absolutely amazing that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:46 am
dbackjon wrote:
There is at least a certain amount of truth to that -

There are wide swaths of scientific inquiry that can only be followed if you are doing it solely out of pocket- because you will not get a grant from any government that considers your work to be politically vulnerable.

If you ARE getting public largesse for your work, then there is pressure to mask inconvenient findings/conclusions. Especially when your income stream could be in jeopardy

On the flip side, profit is also a huge motivator, and it is the reason why, in less than a year, 3 different western pharma companies independently produced a wildly efficacious vaccine for COVID, using a highly advanced new technique. I don’t think enough people really recognize how absolutely amazing that is.
4- Novavax, which isn’t mRNA, and is probably better than Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 am Theories are only as good as their predictions.

Evolution - Everything is determined by mutation and natural selection...whoops.

You see the pattern? Absolutely zero discussion outside the narrative is allowed, even when the narrative falls on its face.
I don't recall them ever saying there is no immunity COVID-19. As far as I can tell, it was always the case that people thought those who got infected then either never got sick or recovered would develop immunity for at least some period. Heck, if they didn't think immunity was possible they would not have worked so hard to get vaccines.

I've complained about Climate scientists not spending enough time emphasizing that they can't test their cause and effect hypotheses through controlled experimentation. But I also think what's happened over the decades since they started the "global warming" thing has been consistent with the general proposition. I also think that people who think what they said about having only x years (I actually heard "12" rather than "9") has been proven wrong are mistaken. I think the report that led to that is the one at https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/ and they are talking about the need to limit warming to 1.5 C above pre-industrial levels. But they don't even think 1.5 above is going to be reached until sometime during 2030 through 2052. Then some of the bad outcomes they are talking about happen in years like 2100. So there is no way anybody can say they are wrong at this point.

I've complained about the dogmatic way in which Evolution is discussed before as well but I think it really does make complete sense and there are an awful lot of observations that are consistent with the body of theory. Also my understanding is that the advent and continued development of molecular biology has really strengthened the evidence for it as an explanation for what is.

Science is why we have antibiotics. It's why we don't have to deal with smallpox and polio anymore. It's also why we have vaccines for COVID-19 now that provide the potential to get out of the mess (though it apparently can't help us with the anti vaccine idiots). Lots of other things. We are a whole lot better off with it than without it.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:20 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:38 am Theories are only as good as their predictions.

I don't recall them ever saying there is no immunity COVID-19. As far as I can tell, it was always the case that people thought those who got infected then either never got sick or recovered would develop immunity for at least some period. Heck, if they didn't think immunity was possible they would not have worked so hard to get vaccines.

I've complained about Climate scientists not spending enough time emphasizing that they can't test their cause and effect hypotheses through controlled experimentation. But I also think what's happened over the decades since they started the "global warming" thing has been consistent with the general proposition. I also think that people who think what they said about having only x years (I actually heard "12" rather than "9") has been proven wrong are mistaken. I think the report that led to that is the one at https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/ and they are talking about the need to limit warming to 1.5 C above pre-industrial levels. But they don't even think 1.5 above is going to be reached until sometime during 2030 through 2052. Then some of the bad outcomes they are talking about happen in years like 2100. So there is no way anybody can say they are wrong at this point.

I've complained about the dogmatic way in which Evolution is discussed before as well but I think it really does make complete sense and there are an awful lot of observations that are consistent with the body of theory. Also my understanding is that the advent and continued development of molecular biology has really strengthened the evidence for it as an explanation for what is.

Science is why we have antibiotics. It's why we don't have to deal with smallpox and polio anymore. It's also why we have vaccines for COVID-19 now that provide the potential to get out of the mess (though it apparently can't help us with the anti vaccine idiots). Lots of other things. We are a whole lot better off with it than without it.
Al Gore assured us Florida would already be underwater and sea levels would have risen 20 feet by now. We can most definitely say “they” were wrong at this point.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

One thing that really strikes me is that the Russians very quickly developed a highly effective vaccine that has proven to be comparable in efficacy to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Maybe more quickly than Pfizer and Moderna did. Hard to tell because they started using it before they did what we call Phase III trials.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:24 pm

Al Gore assured us Florida would already be underwater and sea levels would have risen 20 feet by now. We can most definitely say “they” were wrong at this point.
Al Gore is not a scientist. The "they" I'm talking about are the scientists who wrote that report. Another thing I think happens is that climate scientists say/write things then other people put words in their mouth. Like there is an article about the report I linked at https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -un-report. The headline is "We have 12 years to limit climate change catastrophe, warns UN." No way I'm going to try to read the whole report or even the summary for policy makers. But I did a find on the summary for policy makers to see if I could find the letters "catas" to see if they used terminology like that. And they didn't.

I don't like the way they use terms like "confidence" and "likely" because those terms have specific meanings in probability and statistics and I don't think the way they are using them fits. But at this point it is pretty obvious that what's been happening is generally consistent with what they have been talking about since about 1980.
Could I ever be a star?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

It was the S Koreans who came out and said there was no immunity in the beginning. They were believing the false positives on the PCR test as proof there was no immunity, when it was really viral debris from those recovered.

My main beef in this thread is how one side gets to shut the dissenting side down with what we see as media influence, research dollars and scientists protecting their monetary interests.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:27 pm

One thing that really strikes me is that the Russians very quickly developed a highly effective vaccine that has proven to be comparable in efficacy to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Maybe more quickly than Pfizer and Moderna did. Hard to tell because they started using it before they did what we call Phase III trials.
Commie. :ohno:

The Russians also used ricin successfully without phase Iii trials.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:42 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:24 pm

Al Gore is not a scientist. The "they" I'm talking about are the scientists who wrote that report. Another thing I think happens is that climate scientists say/write things then other people put words in their mouth. Like there is an article about the report I linked at https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -un-report. The headline is "We have 12 years to limit climate change catastrophe, warns UN." No way I'm going to try to read the whole report or even the summary for policy makers. But I did a find on the summary for policy makers to see if I could find the letters "catas" to see if they used terminology like that. And they didn't.

I don't like the way they use terms like "confidence" and "likely" because those terms have specific meanings in probability and statistics and I don't think the way they are using them fits. But at this point it is pretty obvious that what's been happening is generally consistent with what they have been talking about since about 1980.
And where, pray tell, do you think Al Gore GOT that tidbit? :dunce: :dunce:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:03 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:42 pm

And where, pray tell, do you think Al Gore GOT that tidbit? :dunce: :dunce:
I don't know but I don't think Climate Scientists were saying sea level would have risen 20 feet by now. And I'd have to watch "An Inconvenient Truth" to even know for sure that Gore said it because that is so far out of line. They speak in terms of inches (see https://www.climate.gov/news-features/u ... -sea-level as an example).
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

This aged well.