HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Gas taxes

Post by HI54UNI »

What is the purpose of gas taxes?

Heard some enviros argue that the purpose of gas taxes is to encourage the reduction of emissions. First time I've ever heard that. Does anybody else think that way?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Gas taxes

Post by Ibanez »

It's for roads/bridges. SC just increased the tax by $.02 (it's now $.26/gal) to speed up the repairs of neglected roads/bridges. SC roads are terrible.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:22 am What is the purpose of gas taxes?

Heard some enviros argue that the purpose of gas taxes is to encourage the reduction of emissions. First time I've ever heard that. Does anybody else think that way?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

More “made up” enviro-law…..those fuckers will appropriate literally ANYTHING as their own.

It’s for roads and bridges.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I think AZ has the right of it here. Historically, gas taxes have paid for roads and bridges. At least until Donkey CA governors started stealing from that to pay for pet social projects, forcing CalTrans to request more taxes. Finally, Brown got a constitutional amendment passed so that his latest jack of the gas tax would be FORCED to be used on road projects. We'll see how long that lasts. Pretty soon we'll see some Bezerkeley-based leftist enviro-wacko try that "encouragement" argument here, if it hasn't been used already....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:49 am
HI54UNI wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:22 am What is the purpose of gas taxes?

More “made up” enviro-law…..those fuckers will appropriate literally ANYTHING as their own.

Enviros want to switch the narrative and preempt state and local governments that want to find ways to tax Tesla and Prius owners for the wear and tear they put on roads.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

You either raise taxes a little and don't really affect consumption or you raise them a lot and hurt lower income people while not affecting consumption much more.

I'm always amazed at how many people seem to think everyone can just move closer to the city or bike to the grocery store or take the bus to work.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:42 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:49 am

Enviros want to switch the narrative and preempt state and local governments that want to find ways to tax Tesla and Prius owners for the wear and tear they put on roads.
That was part of the spin in the article. The state is adding additional registration fees to electric vehicles to make up for lost tax revenue but that's not fair because the purpose of gas taxes is to lower emissions.

I actually read it twice because I couldn't believe someone was that stupid. :dunce:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:45 am
That was part of the spin in the article. The state is adding additional registration fees to electric vehicles to make up for lost tax revenue but that's not fair because the purpose of gas taxes is to lower emissions.

I actually read it twice because I couldn't believe someone was that stupid. :dunce:
The enviros probably think it's only fair that Neanderthal owners of gas vehicles subsidize road maintenance for them.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Primary purpose is to pay for roads/bridges, etc.

Now a higher gas tax could have a secondary effect of limiting driving/encouraging conservation but as we've seen with gas prices, demand and price (other than a major shutdown like Covid) are really separated - it would take European style gas taxes - on average, US gas taxes are around 50c/gallon, European are over $2.50/gallon) to affect consumption in any meaningful way. - in other words, gas taxes have almost zero impact on consumption in the US.

And yes, electric vehicles SHOULD pay higher registration fees - based on weight to cover the lost revenue.
:thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:23 am

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Primary purpose is to pay for roads/bridges, etc.

Now a higher gas tax could have a secondary effect of limiting driving/encouraging conservation but as we've seen with gas prices, demand and price (other than a major shutdown like Covid) are really separated - it would take European style gas taxes - on average, US gas taxes are around 50c/gallon, European are over $2.50/gallon) to affect consumption in any meaningful way. - in other words, gas taxes have almost zero impact on consumption in the US.

And yes, electric vehicles SHOULD pay higher registration fees - based on weight to cover the lost revenue.
Catch 22, using electric cars reduces driving distance. Still need a better electric car to get people long distances and keep them warm in their vehicles in the upper midwest.