Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:44 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:06 pm
And?
That’s a lot of fucking people, many of which were unnecessary. We should have been on war footing from the start.
You're trying too hard.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:08 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm
You must have missed all the :
-Mask mandates.
-Lock downs.
-Shut downs.
-The makeshift hospitals built by the military.
-Use of Navy hospital ships.
-Massive govt & private industry effort to obtain & distribute PPE.
-Massive govt & private industry effort to build ventilators.
-Vaccine developed in record time.
etc, etc..
Why didn’t we have a stronger buy-in from the public? Was war ever declared? Why all of the dissension?
Pretty sure you were shouting Xenophobia with Nancy and Chuck then.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

andy7171 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:24 am

Why didn’t we have a stronger buy-in from the public? Was war ever declared? Why all of the dissension?
Pretty sure that after 20 months you’re still confused.

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:27 am
andy7171 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:24 am

I could turn it up to Bandle level stalking if you want. I'd have to quit my job, but I could be talked into it.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:52 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:28 am
1. Not enough money was given out
2. "War" - :ohno: You speak more and more like a Politician every day
3. Welcome to human condition.
Compare this to our attitudes during WWII and how we reflect on WWII now.

It does sound political but then again that’s what drives the masses.

This was/is also an existential threat.
You must define existential differently than I do. A lot more would have died but the human race would survive COVID even if the governments and pharma companies of the world had done nothing.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:11 am
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:52 am

Compare this to our attitudes during WWII and how we reflect on WWII now.

It does sound political but then again that’s what drives the masses.

This was/is also an existential threat.
You must define existential differently than I do. A lot more would have died but the human race would survive COVID even if the governments and pharma companies of the world had done nothing.
Ill admit it gets thrown around loosely. This modern definition from dictionary.com isn’t bad:

“An existential threat is a threat to something’s very existence—when the continued being of something is at stake or in danger. It is used to describe threats to actual living things as well to nonliving thing things, such as a country or an ideology.”

But I think you get the point I was making.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:53 am

Ill admit it gets thrown around loosely. This modern definition from dictionary.com isn’t bad:

“An existential threat is a threat to something’s very existence—when the continued being of something is at stake or in danger. It is used to describe threats to actual living things as well to nonliving thing things, such as a country or an ideology.”

It was and is a serious threat but I don't think it was ever an existential threat and unless it mutates significantly, I don't think it will be. I take it seriously but think we need to give more consideration to the unintended consequences of our efforts to mitigate the threat. Find the balance between what Biden and the illiberals want and what DeSantis and the populists want.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

His point, was that COVID is no where near being your definition, or anyone else's, of an existential threat.
To this point of human history the only real existential threat is a giant space rock randomly hitting the planet.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

andy7171 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:31 am
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:27 am

I could turn it up to Bandle level stalking if you want. I'd have to quit my job, but I could be talked into it.
:lol: I admire your commitment.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 pm
You must have missed all the :
-Mask mandates.
-Lock downs.
-Shut downs.
-The makeshift hospitals built by the military.
-Use of Navy hospital ships.
-Massive govt & private industry effort to obtain & distribute PPE.
-Massive govt & private industry effort to build ventilators.
-Vaccine developed in record time.
etc, etc..
Well, for one the left went ape whenever the enemy was pointed out and criticized.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

andy7171 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:23 am

His point, was that COVID is no where near being your definition, or anyone else's, of an existential threat.
To this point of human history the only real existential threat is a giant space rock randomly hitting the planet....again
FYP and that's a very good point. Thanks to science viruses are no longer an existential threat. The Bubonic Plague killed something like more than 1/2 the population of Europe.

Thanks to modern medicine and hygiene practices it doesn't really present as an existential threat. COVID, IMO, is serious and should be taken serious but it's not going to end our existence. It'll reduce the surplus population some but that's about it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:08 am

It was and is a serious threat but I don't think it was ever an existential threat and unless it mutates significantly, I don't think it will be. I take it seriously but think we need to give more consideration to the unintended consequences of our efforts to mitigate the threat. Find the balance between what Biden and the illiberals want and what DeSantis and the populists want.
In sheer number of lives lost it’s comparable to other things that have been labeled an existential threat. Remember WMD’s?

And that’s WITH mitigating efforts. We’re fighting the war, just not as well as we could. And the division it has sown is also existential.

It’s not truly an existential unless you or a system, or country actually cease to exist? I guess?

How many people were questioning the fight against 1940’s fascism because…freedom? Or “who’s checking the fact checkers?”
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:43 am

In sheer number of lives lost it’s comparable to other things that have been labeled an existential threat. Remember WMD’s?

And that’s WITH mitigating efforts. We’re fighting the war, just not as well as we could. And the division it has sown is also existential.

It’s not truly an existential unless you or a system, or country actually cease to exist? I guess?

How many people were questioning the fight against 1940’s fascism because…freedom? Or “who’s checking the fact checkers?”
COVID did not sow the division. There is a long list of real and perceived grievances that came before that have contributed to the division. COVID, January 6, the "stolen" election, the AnTIfa/BLM riots, the first impeachment, and so on.

The "war" would be better fought with better leadership from both sides. We don't have that and I'm not expecting that to change.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:58 am

COVID did not sow the division. There is a long list of real and perceived grievances that came before that have contributed to the division. COVID, January 6, the "stolen" election, the AnTIfa/BLM riots, the first impeachment, and so on.

The "war" would be better fought with better leadership from both sides. We don't have that and I'm not expecting that to change.
I didn’t say it sowed the division on its own. Of course there were other influences. BTW we were done what divided in the late 30’s as well.

Agree with your last point.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

You know, I would love to get a realistic picture of the 1940's. It was far from the universal, "let's get behind our country and defeat fascism" mantra that you think the whole country was marching in precise lockstep to if you only based it on Hollywood footage and school history books. There was certainly dissent then, just as there is now, to war and fighting and the methods of fighting. We won the war certainly due to a lot of commitment from the home front to do without and to support the troops and all, but we did struggle, especially as the war dragged on, to fulfill the bond-buying drives and to keep the momentum going. We seem to paint the American war effort in WWII in an unrealistically rosy tableau. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

We haven’t fought ANY war “as well as we could” since WWII. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: That includes:

Korea
Viet Nam
Iraq
Afghanistan
Drugs
Poverty
Homelessness
Mental Health
COVID

You name it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:28 am

You know, I would love to get a realistic picture of the 1940's. It was far from the universal, "let's get behind our country and defeat fascism" mantra that you think the whole country was marching in precise lockstep to if you only based it on Hollywood footage and school history books. There was certainly dissent then, just as there is now, to war and fighting and the methods of fighting. We won the war certainly due to a lot of commitment from the home front to do without and to support the troops and all, but we did struggle, especially as the war dragged on, to fulfill the bond-buying drives and to keep the momentum going. We seem to paint the American war effort in WWII in an unrealistically rosy tableau. :coffee:
Me too which is why I mentioned the 30’s dissension. The later stuff is a good point that needs to be considered too. But the greatest Gen peeps I’ve talked to who lived through it stateside or fought never shared much about division. Not that there wasn’t a little bit it sounded less than today.

:coffee: :coffee:

:lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:26 pm
Me too which is why I mentioned the 30’s dissension. The later stuff is a good point that needs to be considered too. But the greatest Gen peeps I’ve talked to who lived through it stateside or fought never shared much about division. Not that there wasn’t a little bit it sounded less than today.

The Greatest Gen peeps were fighting for freedom and the future. Many of the people that you disagree with (on CRT, COVID, etc.) also believe that they are also fighting for freedom and the future.

Coming to a mutual solution starts not with denigrating or dismissing their opinions but from recognizing them and them doing the same for yours. Unfortunately neither side seems willing to recognize or respect the other side's perceptions and positions on a variety of subjects.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:52 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:26 pm

The Greatest Gen peeps were fighting for freedom and the future. Many of the people that you disagree with (on CRT, COVID, etc.) also believe that they are also fighting for freedom and the future.

Coming to a mutual solution starts not with denigrating or dismissing their opinions but from recognizing them and them doing the same for yours. Unfortunately neither side seems willing to recognize or respect the other side's perceptions and positions on a variety of subjects.
I agree.

The tribalists have a mutual enemy in Covid. It’s unfortunate that it hasn’t been a come together moment. :ohno:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Winners write the History has been a truth all through human civilization. They are quick to take credit and the losers are in the position that they want to quickly move past their mistakes.

If one reads the articles printed in the mid-30's and on, there was a very strong isolationist presence and pressure not to get involved. It is one of the reason FDR started the Lend-Lease program, as it avoided some of that sentiment and provided aid to our Allies overseas.

There was still a presence that thought some of the steps taken were too far all throughout the war and FDR had his share of convincing to do with the House and the Senate. We tend to look back at the past (not just WWII) with a rosier picture than it actually was. There was just as much divisiveness in politics going back to the Founding Fathers as there is today. It just seems like it is worse as a) we are living it and b) there was not the media we have today. Limited means of information circulation cut down on all the petty stuff we see reported today (aka Twatter) and only the highlights (if that) were printed.

BTW: There are paper's available for free online that one can read back copies of to get a picture of the period. I have read articles in Harper's Weekly from just after the Civil War and during the lead up to WWI and WWII.
Last edited by Winterborn on Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:44 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:52 pm

I agree.

The tribalists have a mutual enemy in Covid. It’s unfortunate that it hasn’t been a come together moment. :ohno:
Probably because COVID was "weaponized" by both tribes to get at the other. This was started from almost day one.

Spoiler: show
My apologies for using inflammatory language (weaponized) when I poked fun at you for doing the same thing. I will go take my 30 lashes and sit in the corner. :whip: :hide:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:12 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:44 pm

I agree.

Probably because COVID was "weaponized" by both tribes to get at the other. This was started from almost day one.

Spoiler: show
My apologies for using inflammatory language (weaponized) when I poked fun at you for doing the same thing. I will go take my 30 lashes and sit in the corner. :whip: :hide:
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:28 am
kalm wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:21 am

Violence and intimidation are violence and intimidation.

:nod:
There was more violence and intimidation at the anTIfa/BLM riots in 2020 than there was on January 6, 2021.
What riots were Antifa&BLM were associated with???
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

dal4018 wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:28 am There was more violence and intimidation at the anTIfa/BLM riots in 2020 than there was on January 6, 2021.
On what planet do you currently reside?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:28 am

There was more violence and intimidation at the anTIfa/BLM riots in 2020 than there was on January 6, 2021.
Is this a serious question? Were you asleep through all of 2020?!