Critical Race Theory

Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Critical Race Theory

Post by UNI88 »

This topic should be on the Poly board not the Locker Room Work thread ...

Leo Terrell slams embrace of critical race theory by 'white liberals'
Critical race theory and other closely related ideologies hold that the United States is inherently racist and that skin color is used to create and maintain social, economic, and political inequalities between whites and nonwhites. Critics claim it relegates all white people to the role of oppressors and all people of color to that of victim.

"I'll tell you right now, these white liberals on the Democratic side, they do not speak for America. I think the strategy should be what's going on right now," Terrell continued. "Families across the country of all colors should challenge this school board, demand to see the curriculum, demand to see the lesson plan, demand to see the stated objective, to see if this critical race theory is in the school curriculum. If so, challenge it, and raise it to a level where people are aware of it."
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:04 pm This topic should be on the Poly board not the Locker Room Work thread ...

Leo Terrell slams embrace of critical race theory by 'white liberals'
Critical race theory and other closely related ideologies hold that the United States is inherently racist and that skin color is used to create and maintain social, economic, and political inequalities between whites and nonwhites. Critics claim it relegates all white people to the role of oppressors and all people of color to that of victim.

"I'll tell you right now, these white liberals on the Democratic side, they do not speak for America. I think the strategy should be what's going on right now," Terrell continued. "Families across the country of all colors should challenge this school board, demand to see the curriculum, demand to see the lesson plan, demand to see the stated objective, to see if this critical race theory is in the school curriculum. If so, challenge it, and raise it to a level where people are aware of it."
I don't know much about CRT - but from the outside it seems that it paints races with a broad brush and says you are inherently an oppressor or a victim. Sounds like the premise of the theory is racists towards whites just by making all of them one group. No doubt that white people have done some evil shit and enslaved people and enacted laws to disenfranchise people but that doesn't mean there aren't whites that categorically oppose all of that and have fought to change them.

edit: from the dictionary
Critical race theorists hold that the law and legal institutions in the United States are inherently racist insofar as they function to create and maintain social, economic, and political inequalities between whites and nonwhites, especially African Americans.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/critical-race-theory

A system built by white men in the 18th-19th Centuries is going to inherently be biased. I don't disagree with that. But is the point of this "theory" to call it out, specifically?

Also - race is a social construct and not one of biology? That's an interesting idea. :coffee:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

One of the most asinine things about the "White Fragility" side of CRT, at least to me, is how it fetishizes and infantilizes black people. I would be embarrassed to advocate most of it simply because it is so blatantly tone deaf when it comes to the dignity and personal agency of racial groups, particularly black people.

This is purely anecdotal, but I do know a couple black guys who are insulted by the premises made by this woman. She succinctly summarizes white progressivism: a white suburban woman monetizing the supposed fragility of black people. I'd be insulted as hell if I were black.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

/ thread

Please.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Just another way for Libs to divide into ‘groups’ and pit one against the other.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:43 pm Just another way for Libs to divide into ‘groups’ and pit one against the other.
The first tenet of CRT says you're racist if you say that.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

From the link

It's obvious that if you have money, you can skirt the legal system and have charges and/or sentences dropped, reduced, or disappear. The poor criminals go to jail for the same crimes.

Its immediate precursor was the critical legal studies (CLS) movement, which dedicated itself to examining how the law and legal institutions serve the interests of the wealthy and powerful at the expense of the poor and marginalized.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:24 am From the link

It's obvious that if you have money, you can skirt the legal system and have charges and/or sentences dropped, reduced, or disappear. The poor criminals go to jail for the same crimes.

Its immediate precursor was the critical legal studies (CLS) movement, which dedicated itself to examining how the law and legal institutions serve the interests of the wealthy and powerful at the expense of the poor and marginalized.
I always like to think of Cindy McCain when I hear this. Caught illegally using Doctors in her charity to feed a pain pill addiction. When caught, she is held up as a brave, wonderful Saint.

Anyone not at the same social level would have been tossed in jail and labeled a dangerous drug addict.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I still haven’t seen anyone provide evidence that CRT is an actual part of the curriculum. Or that I’m supposed to personally be ashamed for being white.

In the meantime here’s a primer from left leaning Brookings for you all to get fired up about.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brooki ... heory/amp/
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:03 am I still haven’t seen anyone provide evidence that CRT is an actual part of the curriculum. Or that I’m supposed to personally be ashamed for being white.

In the meantime here’s a primer from left leaning Brookings for you all to get fired up about.

I know the left loves to point out that its not an 'actual part of the curriculum'. However, the NEA is fighting tooth and nail to "fight back against anti-CRT rhetoric".

The teacher union oligarchs know CRT polls horrible with parents across all political affiliations. That is why they are trying their best to rebrand their grift as something else.

Very interesting reading from "New Business Item 39" from the NEA annual meeting held the first week of July (the NEA has since scrubbed it from their website):
The NEA will, with guidance on implementation from the NEA president and chairs of the Ethnic Minority Affairs Caucuses:

A. Share and publicize, through existing channels, information already available on critical race theory (CRT) — what it is and what it is not; have a team of staffers for members who want to learn more and fight back against anti-CRT rhetoric; and share information with other NEA members as well as their community members.

B. Provide an already-created, in-depth, study that critiques empire, white supremacy, anti-Blackness, anti-Indigeneity, racism, patriarchy, cisheteropatriarchy, capitalism, ableism, anthropocentrism, and other forms of power and oppression at the intersections of our society, and that we oppose attempts to ban critical race theory and/or The 1619 Project.

C. Publicly (through existing media) convey its support for the accurate and honest teaching of social studies topics, including truthful and age-appropriate accountings of unpleasant aspects of American history, such as slavery, and the oppression and discrimination of Indigenous, Black, Brown, and other peoples of color, as well as the continued impact this history has on our current society. The Association will further convey that in teaching these topics, it is reasonable and appropriate for curriculum to be informed by academic frameworks for understanding and interpreting the impact of the past on current society, including critical race theory.

D. Join with Black Lives Matter at School and the Zinn Education Project to call for a rally this year on October 14—George Floyd’s birthday—as a national day of action to teach lessons about structural racism and oppression. Followed by one day of action that recognize and honor lives taken such as Breonna Taylor, Philando Castile, and others. The National Education Association shall publicize these National Days of Action to all its members, including in NEA Today.

E. Conduct a virtual listening tour that will educate members on the tools and resources needed to defend honesty in education including but not limited to tools like CRT.

F. Commit President Becky Pringle to make public statements across all lines of media that support racial honesty in education including but not limited to critical race theory.
They really really really don't want to teach CRT to your kids...that's why they are fighting so hard against any anti-CRT legislation. :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Baldy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:50 pm

They really really really don't want to teach CRT to your kids...that's why they are fighting so hard against any anti-CRT legislation. :lol:
Brother Baldy, the teachers unions really really really don’t want to teach much of anything to our kids. Just another public employee union that wants its members to sit on their fat asses, do no work, and suck hard on the taxpayer teat. COVID gave the AFT and the NEA perfect cover.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

kalm wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:03 am I still haven’t seen anyone provide evidence that CRT is an actual part of the curriculum. Or that I’m supposed to personally be ashamed for being white.

I know the left loves to point out that its not an 'actual part of the curriculum'. However, the NEA is fighting tooth and nail to "fight back against anti-CRT rhetoric".

The teacher union oligarchs know CRT polls horrible with parents across all political affiliations. That is why they are trying their best to rebrand their grift as something else.

Very interesting reading from "New Business Item 39" from the NEA annual meeting held the first week of July (the NEA has since scrubbed it from their website):
The NEA will, with guidance on implementation from the NEA president and chairs of the Ethnic Minority Affairs Caucuses:

A. Share and publicize, through existing channels, information already available on critical race theory (CRT) — what it is and what it is not; have a team of staffers for members who want to learn more and fight back against anti-CRT rhetoric; and share information with other NEA members as well as their community members.

B. Provide an already-created, in-depth, study that critiques empire, white supremacy, anti-Blackness, anti-Indigeneity, racism, patriarchy, cisheteropatriarchy, capitalism, ableism, anthropocentrism, and other forms of power and oppression at the intersections of our society, and that we oppose attempts to ban critical race theory and/or The 1619 Project.

C. Publicly (through existing media) convey its support for the accurate and honest teaching of social studies topics, including truthful and age-appropriate accountings of unpleasant aspects of American history, such as slavery, and the oppression and discrimination of Indigenous, Black, Brown, and other peoples of color, as well as the continued impact this history has on our current society. The Association will further convey that in teaching these topics, it is reasonable and appropriate for curriculum to be informed by academic frameworks for understanding and interpreting the impact of the past on current society, including critical race theory.

D. Join with Black Lives Matter at School and the Zinn Education Project to call for a rally this year on October 14—George Floyd’s birthday—as a national day of action to teach lessons about structural racism and oppression. Followed by one day of action that recognize and honor lives taken such as Breonna Taylor, Philando Castile, and others. The National Education Association shall publicize these National Days of Action to all its members, including in NEA Today.

E. Conduct a virtual listening tour that will educate members on the tools and resources needed to defend honesty in education including but not limited to tools like CRT.

F. Commit President Becky Pringle to make public statements across all lines of media that support racial honesty in education including but not limited to critical race theory.
Indeed. Link?
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:39 am

Indeed. Link?
https://ra.nea.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... d62821.pdf
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:26 am
kalm wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:39 am

Indeed. Link?
https://ra.nea.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... d62821.pdf
Thank you.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Anybody else get the impression that arguing with klam over things like CRT in schools is like arguing with a flat-earther?

Even Politico tacitly acknowledges what is going on

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/2 ... ory-500729

It is going to be a bloodbath in 2022 at this rate.... Carter just had inflation and Iran. Take your pick of anny one of 20 anchors around the necks of the Dems this time around. And they're all totally self inflicted.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CID1990 wrote:Anybody else get the impression that arguing with klam over things like CRT in schools is like arguing with a flat-earther?

It is going to be a bloodbath in 2022 at this rate.... Carter just had inflation and Iran. Take your pick of anny one of 20 anchors around the necks of the Dems this time around. And they're all totally self inflicted.
BDK/JSO light?

Better looking and more refined but half the perseverance and articulation.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:37 am Anybody else get the impression that arguing with klam over things like CRT in schools is like arguing with a flat-earther?

Klammy has his head buried so far up his ass regarding ANY criticism of the dem party it’s frightening. ANTIFA is “just an idea”. CRT “isn’t being taught”. 1/6 was “an insurrection”.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:40 pm
CID1990 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:37 am Anybody else get the impression that arguing with klam over things like CRT in schools is like arguing with a flat-earther?

Klammy has his head buried so far up his ass regarding ANY criticism of the dem party it’s frightening. ANTIFA is “just an idea”. CRT “isn’t being taught”. 1/6 was “an insurrection”.
No...my role here is balance. And to talk you Trumpers back from the ledge.

I’m as under-appreciated as D1B... :ohno:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

No wonder that many Democrats from states/districts that Trump won aren’t putting the “D” in their campaign ads. It might be the “scarlet letter” next year.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Minnesota student says she was not allowed to tell parents about school 'equity survey'
“My teacher said that I could not skip any questions, even when I didn’t understand them. One question asked us what gender we identify with. I was very confused, along with a lot of other classmates,” Yasgar said during the meeting, which was captured on video.

"A boy in my class asked my teacher if his mom could explain the question to him because even after the teacher explained it, he still didn't understand," she continued. "My teacher told him that he was not allowed to ask his mom and that we could not repeat any of the questions to our parents."
Just trying to help the kids understand history, no agenda here.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

But can you give us a printout of the actual school curriculum? Otherwise, never happened.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

This thread needs Trip to tell us this isn't being taught in schools. :coffee: :lol: :dunce:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Conks will find a way to fuck it up. The Conk message just needs to hammer home on "quality of life" issues (crime, inflation, cost of living) and they should have no problem taking the House and Senate. Problem is Conks will probably get sidetracked on foreign issues that matter little when people have a hard time filling their tank and putting food on the table while homeless encampments run rampant around the block from their house.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Sad really, he use to offer a good counter point to certain topics. No he just kind of bumbles around spewing leftist talking points. :ohno:

I miss the old Kalm. :cry:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:27 am Minnesota student says she was not allowed to tell parents about school 'equity survey'
“My teacher said that I could not skip any questions, even when I didn’t understand them. One question asked us what gender we identify with. I was very confused, along with a lot of other classmates,” Yasgar said during the meeting, which was captured on video.

"A boy in my class asked my teacher if his mom could explain the question to him because even after the teacher explained it, he still didn't understand," she continued. "My teacher told him that he was not allowed to ask his mom and that we could not repeat any of the questions to our parents."
Just trying to help the kids understand history, no agenda here.
But it's not in schools though...