Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The Official Trump 2024 Electability Thread

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:46 am DeSantis is divisive. Republicans can keep going with the Trumpian "fuck your feelings" mantra, but I see that as political crack.

If, for just once again, conservatives could be compassionate again, it could really go a long way.

Edit: OK, I see Sticky and I basically posted the same thing at the same time. It's valid.
X 3.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:46 am DeSantis is divisive. Republicans can keep going with the Trumpian "fuck your feelings" mantra, but I see that as political crack.

If, for just once again, conservatives could be compassionate again, it could really go a long way.

Edit: OK, I see Sticky and I basically posted the same thing at the same time. It's valid.
:lol: Even used the same word - divisive.

TL/DR; for Haley
Joining the Trump administration had been a massive gamble, and she hit the jackpot—not merely emerging unscathed from a gauntlet that maimed many of her contemporaries, but looking all the smarter and sturdier for it. She had gained rare foreign policy experience, nailed the role of adult in the room and raised her visibility in front of donors and voters alike. Her political future wasn’t just intact; it was brighter than ever before.
https://www.politico.com/interactives/2 ... ys-choice/
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Pwns wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:15 pm I think a lot of the GOP establishment thinks their base is going through a phase and they'll he ready for Marco Rubio or Nikki Haley again in a few years. Pure wishful thinking. The average GOP voter knows Corporate America and the mega donors DGAF about illegal immigration and DGAF about cultural conservatism. As long as that tug of war is there between the base and the big money Trump has the advantage..

If the Democrats embrace Whole Foods politics instead of genuine working class politics and Karamel Harris is the donk nominee because Biden doesn't finish his first term and Donks dont think it's proper to expect a "womxn of cullah" to earn the nomination, Trump could very well win.

In short, depends on Trump's health (just needs to be healthy enough for rallies and tweeting and watching TV) and the Democrats. Don't put it past both parties to make it easier for him.
This thought has been popping up more and more from people I talk to. The Republican part is split between old school big money/RHINO and those that want some to actually stand for the parties principles. Trump is not that, but he talks a good game, so it all depends on who else is running and who the DNC nominates.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

There is definitely a scorched earth vibe emerging from the fringes of both sides. DeSantis is playing into that a bit.

I do not disagree with you on the compassionate thought. But unless both sides are willing to meet in the middle, the only thing compassion will get you is ran over by the side that doesn't care (this applies to the middles of both parties).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:14 am
TL/DR; for Haley
Joining the Trump administration had been a massive gamble, and she hit the jackpot—not merely emerging unscathed from a gauntlet that maimed many of her contemporaries, but looking all the smarter and sturdier for it. She had gained rare foreign policy experience, nailed the role of adult in the room and raised her visibility in front of donors and voters alike. Her political future wasn’t just intact; it was brighter than ever before.
I like Haley on the surface (especially governor Haley) but is that who she really is and will she have a backbone to stand up for certain Conservative principles and be able to chart a middle path on the others? Recent narrative articles aside (I see them as testing the waters for a run) that are trying to set the tone and base for a run, I still have concerns on her donor list and who is she beholden to. Depending on who else is running that is a small concern and I know I will never get a applicant that is willing to shrink the government or take a stand, but it is something I use to gauge who gets my vote.

Odds are if it is a Haley/LP/DNC ticket, I will probably vote for Haley as so far the LP ticket has been weak. If Spike is running as the main candidate, I probably will vote for him instead. DNC candidate doesn't matter to me as I will never vote for one in a national election.

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:48 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:13 am

I don't understand that statement. Are you suggesting DeSantis is NOT a viable candidate? Or that he is too much of a Trumpite to ignore him?
DeSantis is the Harris of the right. Partisan hack politician who’s only likeable to the base. He’s also in a state that approved a $15 minimum wage. The times they are a changing’
Harris is not likeable to the D base. Nobody likes her.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

The only way Haley can win the nomination is if she can push out the other "moderate" Rs running and avoid splitting the vote. The base won't vote for her.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:11 am
kalm wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:48 am

DeSantis is the Harris of the right. Partisan hack politician who’s only likeable to the base. He’s also in a state that approved a $15 minimum wage. The times they are a changing’
Harris is not likeable to the D base. Nobody likes her.
Not surprising. She has the personality of a sheet of OSB with the character consistency of silly string. When one is for all intents a piece of jello that is willing to be whatever the person talking to her wants, it makes her a bit hard to trust.

Her one redeeming quality is that she is constantly bribable, so as long as one has the money/power she will do what she is paid to.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:03 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:14 am
TL/DR; for Haley

I like Haley on the surface (especially governor Haley) but is that who she really is and will she have a backbone to stand up for certain Conservative principles and be able to chart a middle path on the others? Recent narrative articles aside (I see them as testing the waters for a run) that are trying to set the tone and base for a run, I still have concerns on her donor list and who is she beholden to. Depending on who else is running that is a small concern and I know I will never get a applicant that is willing to shrink the government or take a stand, but it is something I use to gauge who gets my vote.

Odds are if it is a Haley/LP/DNC ticket, I will probably vote for Haley as so far the LP ticket has been weak. If Spike is running as the main candidate, I probably will vote for him instead. DNC candidate doesn't matter to me as I will never vote for one in a national election.
She stood up to the white nationalists in SC when she took down the Confederate Flag. She stood up to the SC legislators openly calling her a "raghead" and calling her a whore. She's an Indian woman growing up in rural SC. In 12 years she went from being an accountant to UN Ambassador...she's got the stuff. :twocents:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:20 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:03 am

She stood up to the white nationalists in SC when she took down the Confederate Flag. She stood up to the SC legislators openly calling her a "raghead" and calling her a whore. She's an Indian woman growing up in rural SC. In 12 years she went from being an accountant to UN Ambassador...she's got the stuff. :twocents:
Like I said, I liked her as Governor. :nod: Her actions the last two years of Trump made me question that thought and so did her speaking comments during that time period. I got a very big money vibe (seeming willingness to follow the money) from her during that period. My mind is definitely not made up, but she is not a slam dunk for me anymore.

I always keep an open mind and am willing to change my original thoughts or ideas given new information and there are 3 years for her to do so. Like I mentioned earlier, if the LP candidates are weak, she has my vote (my hesitancy aside) but that only means I am cautiously optimistic concerning her.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:34 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:20 am
Like I said, I liked her as Governor. :nod: Her actions the last two years of Trump made me question that thought and so did her speaking comments during that time period. I got a very big money vibe (seeming willingness to follow the money) from her during that period. My mind is definitely not made up, but she is not a slam dunk for me anymore.

I always keep an open mind and am willing to change my original thoughts or ideas given new information and there are 3 years for her to do so. Like I mentioned earlier, if the LP candidates are weak, she has my vote (my hesitancy aside) but that only means I am cautiously optimistic concerning her.
She certainly followed the money but I think she also had some pretty large debts she was trying to wipe away.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:48 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:34 am

She certainly followed the money but I think she also had some pretty large debts she was trying to wipe away.
And "debts" is what I am worried about. You do not go from accountant to Ambassador in 12 years without owing favors. I am not against the rise or her position, I am curious on the "man/woman behind the curtain" so to speak.

I realize that nobody is a clean slate from a favors standpoint, as that is just what politics is, my concern is not that favors are owed but what and who those are owed to. I am a realist, so I understand that there has to be a give and take, but that also means I am not the most easily convinced. My first inclination when any politician or CEO opens their mouth is the thought that this is all BS and what is their angle. I am not a trusting individual, especially when it comes to politics. :| :twocents:

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Compassion means losing in this atmosphere. It means apologizing for your ideals and in general, being a pussy when the chips are on the table. It shouldn't be that way but in today's political arena that is how it is viewed. So no, conservatives and those with conservative ideals need someone with a "fuck you" approach or they'll continue to get ran over.

Haley's service under the Trump admin will absolutely be used against her, because anything Trump is villainized. The same will happen to her so not buying the idea that people will overlook that. But I agree she would be a good candidate.

I prefer Trump not to run again, but the Biden* admin has been doing so poorly that I don't think it will really matter if he runs or not. Dems doubled down on their woke bullshit so it's either whatever the Conks can run or 3rd party for me in '24.

I think we'll see a Trump/DeSantis ticket in '24. I think a Haley/DeSantis ticket would be interesting, but I don't see DeSantis being a VP on a ticket. Long time away so who knows what actually will happen.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:56 am

There is definitely a scorched earth vibe emerging from the fringes of both sides. DeSantis is playing into that a bit.

I do not disagree with you on the compassionate thought. But unless both sides are willing to meet in the middle, the only thing compassion will get you is ran over by the side that doesn't care (this applies to the middles of both parties).
This. Beat me to it.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:58 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:48 am

And "debts" is what I am worried about. You do not go from accountant to Ambassador in 12 years without owing favors. I am not against the rise or her position, I am curious on the "man/woman behind the curtain" so to speak.

I realize that nobody is a clean slate from a favors standpoint, as that is just what politics is, my concern is not that favors are owed but what and who those are owed to. I am a realist, so I understand that there has to be a give and take, but that also means I am not the most easily convinced. My first inclination when any politician or CEO opens their mouth is the thought that this is all BS and what is their angle. I am not a trusting individual, especially when it comes to politics. :| :twocents:
That's a good point. She had a lot of help in her first campaign from a Indian businessman (who also raised something like $11M for Trump)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:11 am

Compassion means losing in this atmosphere. It means apologizing for your ideals and in general, being a pussy when the chips are on the table. It shouldn't be that way but in today's political arena that is how it is viewed. So no, conservatives and those with conservative ideals need someone with a "fuck you" approach or they'll continue to get ran over.

Haley's service under the Trump admin will absolutely be used against her, because anything Trump is villainized. The same will happen to her so not buying the idea that people will overlook that. But I agree she would be a good candidate.
:nod:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

So you all are pretty much validating my thought that the American electorate, particularly on the conservative side, is too stupid to see the forest for the trees. The "fuck your feelings" political crack will continue to be smoked.

That's a shame.

In an election where the Dem POTUS candidate should get stomped, they're fixing to lose 49/51 again. But by golly, they'll be the loudest and most committed to the cause! May even put together a world record boat parade, because that's productive. :lol:
Last edited by 93henfan on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:55 am So you all are pretty much validating my thought that the American electorate, particularly on the conservative side, is too stupid to see the forest for the trees. The "fuck your feelings" political crack will continue to be smoked.

That's a shame.

In an election where the Dem POTUS candidate should get stomped, they're fixing to lose 49/51 again.
Yes, however both sides are actively trying to "out-stupid" the other. :twocents:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:46 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:11 am

I disagree. These elections are increasingly about winning the suburban mother vote. Suburban Philadelphia is the case study in this phenomenon.

They would absolutely respond to a compassionate GOP candidate. Haley would sop up votes like a sponge there.

But no, the Trump dipshits are going to American Taliban everyone into submission. And lose again.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I agree with much on this thread. I too never in a million years thought Trump was a legitimate contender in 2016. And considering where he ended up, devolving into a crazy caricature of himself in 2020 (which is saying something, because he was almost a caricature anyway before he even ran for President), I don't see there being anyway that he's electable going forward. The Dems put up one of the worst candidates in modern times in the 2020 version of Joe Biden and he still won. Trump is never being elected again.

But with that said, the GOP has plenty of options (Haley is one of them of course) where they could step away from the political crack that is Trump, and feel pretty good about winning in 2024. Biden will be dead or gone by then, so I can't see him standing for election as an 81 year old going on 120 at that time. Harris, for all of her woke qualities, performed dismally in the Democratic primaries in the lead up to 2020, and she's had a pretty bad start to her time as VP so I don't know how she is viewed all that much better in 2024. She would certainly benefit by Biden resigning following the mid terms and letting her take on the mantle of President for the 2 years leading up to the 2024 elections - she could show, in the job, that she's up for the job, and she would get that all important "incumbent" label. But unless that happens, she's a weak candidate.

I think it certainly stands to reason that the GOP, as long as they don't put up Trump or a Trump puppet, has more than a good chance to win against a lifeless Biden or an underperforming Harris. Question is whether the GOP can avoid being stupid, which is a big question indeed.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:57 am
93henfan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:55 am So you all are pretty much validating my thought that the American electorate, particularly on the conservative side, is too stupid to see the forest for the trees. The "fuck your feelings" political crack will continue to be smoked.

That's a shame.

In an election where the Dem POTUS candidate should get stomped, they're fixing to lose 49/51 again.
Yes, however both sides are actively trying to "out-stupid" the other. :twocents:
And both sides are saying "fuck x's feelings" and the media is pushing the same narrative as that is what generates clicks. I think there is a fine line that a candidate can follow and come across as being firm on certain topics and amicable on others, but anytime a candidate will take that line. It will be spun into something else by the media. Media has no interest in a honest, genuine candidate. They want a bloodbath and two electorates that hate each other.

Fix the media (at least make it impartial) and I would agree with your point 93. Until then, it will not matter as each and every point will be twisted to fulfill what ever point the reporter is trying to make.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:59 am
kalm wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:46 am

I disagree. These elections are increasingly about winning the suburban mother vote. Suburban Philadelphia is the case study in this phenomenon.

They would absolutely respond to a compassionate GOP candidate. Haley would sop up votes like a sponge there.

But no, the Trump dipshits are going to American Taliban everyone into submission. And lose again.

The suburban mothers vote is all part of 88's squishy middle. It is all how a candidate is portrayed and the media controls that influence.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:21 am
93henfan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:59 am

The suburban mothers vote is all part of 88's squishy middle. It is all how a candidate is portrayed and the media controls that influence.
So why fight it and commit political suicide? Play the game, and win. Being the loudest, most principled, and still losing gets your rights and income and property taken away.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I highly doubt Trump gets even the GOP nom after that 06 Jan debacle, whether one believes he's behind it or not. He was so out of control that I don't think he's capable of governing his jock strap, and I think most people (outside of convinced Trumpers) of either party realize that.

All y'all know who I'd like to see get the nom, but I'm realist to know that I'm probably the only person in the entire country rooting for her. I could easily see GOP fall in behind Haley or Elder, but Trump has no chance at all, and I'm just speaking of the nom.

On the Donkey side, I think most people realize that Biden is for all intents and purposes done. It's probably going to be a battle between Harris and Newsom, should he decide to go for it. I have no idea who would win between "winner of Haley/Elder" vs. "winner of Harris/Newsom."

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Elder, Palin, Newsom. :lol: :clap: