SCOTUS

Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

SCOTUS

Post by Ibanez »

"In enacting SB 8, the Texas Legislature not only deliberately prohibited the exercise of a constitutional right recognized by this court, it did everything it could to evade effective judicial protection of that right in federal or state court," he said.
He said the lawsuit should be able to go forward because the state "delegated enforcement to literally any person anywhere except for its own state officials."
But Texas Solicitor General Judd Stone said the case should not be able to proceed in federal court because the state is not the proper defendant, since SB 8 bars state officials from enforcing the law. He stressed that the law allows civil lawsuits to proceed in state courts after an abortion is challenged.
Critically, Justice Amy Coney Barrett expressed discomfort with the idea that a federal court could not hear the challenge and wondered if a federal constitutional defense "can be fully aired" in state courts. She seemed troubled that a state court hearing would be sufficient to air constitutional grievances.
And Justice Brett Kavanaugh wondered if other states might copy the law to restrict other rights concerning such issues as gun control and free speech. He asked whether the law couldn't be "easily replicated in other states that disfavor other constitutional rights."
Critically, though, while Barrett and Kavanaugh seemed receptive to the argument put forward by the providers, both had previously voted to allow the controversial law to remain in effect.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/01/politics ... index.html

Interesting take from Brett - have Republicans created a precedent that would allow the restriction of other rights? This Texas law is as cowardly as they come.

Kavanaugh pressed Stone on the prospect that the legal machinery of the new abortion law could be used against other freedoms, including gun and religious rights. He asked Texas’ lawyer to imagine a law that let anyone sue a person for using an AR-15 rifle and hold them liable for $1 million.

“A state passes a law: Anyone who declines to provide a good or service for use in a same-sex marriage, a million dollars, a suit by anyone in the state, that’s exempt from pre-enforcement review?” Kavanaugh asked.

Justice Elena Kagan said extreme hypotheticals weren’t necessary to understand the implications of the Texas law. “The actual provisions in this law have prevented every woman in Texas from exercising a constitutional right as declared by this court,” she said. “That’s just not a hypothetical, that’s an actual.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AAQcb2n
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Re: SCOTUS

Post by andy7171 »

From what I understand about this law, its on the fellow citizen to report an illegal abortion? First and fore most, I don't like NARCs. Secondly, how can the observer know about a heartbeat? Third, its none of my bsiness.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Yeah, not a lot to like about the Texas law. I'd look for a sizeable majority of the Court to knock it down. If you're an abortion watcher, the real case is the Mississippi one, this Texas case is almost a red herring and much more about judicial process than it is abortion.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

I live in Texas.

I oppose abortion.

I hate this law.
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Col Hogan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:44 am I live in Texas.

I oppose abortion.

I hate this law.
:clap:

/thread
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:44 am I live in Texas.

I oppose abortion.

I hate this law.
:clap: :clap:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

andy7171 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:55 am From what I understand about this law, its on the fellow citizen to report an illegal abortion? First and fore most, I don't like NARCs. Secondly, how can the observer know about a heartbeat? Third, its none of my bsiness.
You’ve been reported to the mods.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

SCOTUS consolidated 4 cases regarding Obama's Clean Power Plan and Trumps replacement for that plan. SCOTUS is going to determine if Congress has delegated its authority to regulate much of the economy to the EPA.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:35 am SCOTUS consolidated 4 cases regarding Obama's Clean Power Plan and Trumps replacement for that plan. SCOTUS is going to determine if Congress has delegated its authority to regulate much of the economy to the EPA.
Good. I can see Justice Gorsuch ramming this one down the government’s throat.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:49 am
HI54UNI wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:35 am SCOTUS consolidated 4 cases regarding Obama's Clean Power Plan and Trumps replacement for that plan. SCOTUS is going to determine if Congress has delegated its authority to regulate much of the economy to the EPA.
That's the first thing I thought of when I read that - can't wait to read Gorsuch's tirade against this. It won't be on the order of saying that most of the state of Oklahoma really belongs to the Native Americans, but it should still be good. He's like the new Scalia - not for his positions and findings, but more for his fun to read opinions.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:27 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:49 am

That's the first thing I thought of when I read that - can't wait to read Gorsuch's tirade against this. It won't be on the order of saying that most of the state of Oklahoma really belongs to the Native Americans, but it should still be good. He's like the new Scalia - not for his positions and findings, but more for his fun to read opinions.
He is the arch-enemy of the administrative state. Breyer must have interesting conversations with him.