Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Leaving the nest

Post by kalm »

Interesting take on generations, economics, and culture here.

I lived in sin with Mrs. Kalm right out of high school. Both boys (21 and 18) are still living with us now which we’re fine with. The oldest is ready to move out, the youngest…not so much.

It’s seems beaten into the last few generations, to take flight as soon as possible…some elderly parents by necessity end up living with their adult children. Is generational living a bad thing?

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Leaving the nest

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:21 am Interesting take on generations, economics, and culture here.

I lived in sin with Mrs. Kalm right out of high school. Both boys (21 and 18) are still living with us now which we’re fine with. The oldest is ready to move out, the youngest…not so much.

It’s seems beaten into the last few generations, to take flight as soon as possible…some elderly parents by necessity end up living with their adult children. Is generational living a bad thing?

I think it's also regional. In the south, leaving after high school/college was everyone's desire. People I know from the North found that odd and it all came down to the same thing - housing costs. Many homes in Brooklyn, for example, are generational.

Personally - I wish I had stayed with my parents a little longer after college, I might not have had a hard time starting out. But I would've had a difficult time starting a career in the early days of a financial crises anyway so who knows.

If LilCCU wants to stay with us longer, as long as she contributes as an adult to the household, then I'm fine with it. But, unlike my parents, i'm going to help her with financial literacy and stuff like that so she comes out of college able to handle the world (hopefully.)
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:21 am Interesting take on generations, economics, and culture here.

The Federal Reserve is running psyops?

Ibanez, after I graduated HS I brought up the possibility of going to community college to save money. I was immediately told that would be fine but I would have to get an apartment.

There is nothing wrong with generational living and there is nothing wrong with moving out and living on your own. There are all sorts of societal pressures that are probably less than ideal.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

It's an interesting conversation, but certainly NOT for the reason this clown says so. Gee, kids wanting to get out on their own... yeah, some sinister plan. :lol: :dunce: Guarantee this guy doesn't have 18 year old kids. I'd be somewhat shocked if he had any.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

When we moved here in the mid 80s the whole town knew within hours that we were from (gasp) California, and not married. The twins were both out of the house by their 19th birthday, what with us running a Stalag where nobody could have any fun, but both would be interested in returning if there were anything to do in their respective fields. Should that come to pass we'll happily gift them each a few acres to build on which I guess isn't the same thing - but if we didn't have land I'd be OK with expanding our home into something that could handle generational living. Funny you should raise the topic as we'll have three grandbabies by this time next year and have been discussing that very subject.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

EVERYTHING is a sinister plan to the left. It's called FREEDOM to make your own decisions, FFS. I couldn't WAIT to get out of my parents' house when I turned 18.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I was out of the house at 17. Paid my way since. With that being said, I have no problems if my kids want to hang around longer, especially through college longer.

That a problem growing up in a town of only 150 people. No local college! :lol:
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

I was out at 18 to college, then immediately after graduation I moved to a larger city so I could get a job. I don't think my parents would have minded me staying another couple of years, but my small hometown of 10k lacked opportunities.