Fixing America

Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Fixing America

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:37 am After thinking about this for a day my answer is we need to fix ourselves. Government ain’t gonna fix us no matter how many bandaids we apply.
Mods: Please move this post to the “Kalm’s Soul is Up for Grabs” thread.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:55 am Abolishing public employee unions (state and federal) makes abundant sense to me. Who needs collective bargaining when job security in the public sector is already stronger, employee performance measures are not geared to the market, and public employee health, insurance, and other benefits are greater than or equal to those of the private sector? Conversely, as witnessed by the shameful recent acts of teachers unions, public employee unions disregard the interests of the constituencies that their members are supposed to serve.
I agree with this. That's an excellent point about the job security.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:02 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:22 pm

Yes, I realize many of these are considered “States Rights”, but the mish-mash of laws that people have to try and navigate when traveling across this country have become unwieldy and unmanageable. A woman can get an abortion in one state, and be thrown in prison in another state. I can buy a joint in Nevada, and get sent to prison for bringing it back to Texas. Some things need to be federally mandated (like drinking age is).

And no, I’m not including military bases (except those owned in other countries…or do we lease them???)…but there are also many former military bases that are abandoned but not sold, so THOSE could be liquidated.
I don’t know of any state where just having ‘a joint’ will get you thrown in prison (more than a year). Just looked up TX. According to FindLaw under .25 oz is a Class B misdemeanor pubishable by up to 180 days in jail (not prison). How many people have actually gotten 180 days for ‘a joint’ (sans having a lengthy record). If the majority of Texans don’t agree with the pot laws, they can get the law(s) changed. I believe in general its easier to get a state law changed, than a national one.

I think the drinking age should be left up to the states. There’s nothing in the constitution about it.

I take a contructionist view. Article 1/Sec 8 lays out the 18 sets of enumerated powers of Congress. Abortion, drugs, drinking age, etc aren’t in there. And the 10th basically says if if not there, its up to the states..
You wanna split hairs about "jail" or "prison" fine. Still think it should be a national law, which eliminates the issues when moving between states.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:37 am After thinking about this for a day my answer is we need to fix ourselves. Government ain’t gonna fix us no matter how many bandaids we apply.
For someone (you) who has fully supported all the government's efforts over the past two years to "fix" the pandemic, this is an interesting take. :coffee: :coffee:
Last edited by AZGrizFan on Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:13 pm
As someone (you) who has fully supported all the government's efforts over the past two years to "fix" the pandemic, this is an interesting take. :coffee: :coffee:
:nod: Boomers gonna boomer.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

As someone (you) who has fully supported all the government's efforts over the past two years to "fix" the pandemic, this is an interesting take. :coffee: :coffee:
:lol:

I wanted medicine to fix the pandemic. When I get sick, I don’t call up my elected officials. :coffee:

I had hoped we had better leadership because I thought around 40% of the population were too stupid to protect themselves and their community….

Welp….I was wrong. It’s more like double that amount. It’s a hope in one hand, shit in the other situation. :coffee: :coffee:

Lesson learned…. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

:mrgreen:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:28 pm

I wanted medicine to fix the pandemic. When I get sick, I don’t call up my elected officials. :coffee:

I had hoped we had better leadership because I thought around 40% of the population were too stupid to protect themselves and their community….

Welp….I was wrong. It’s more like double that amount. It’s a hope in one hand, shit in the other situation. :coffee: :coffee:

Hope is not a strategy. Nor is depending on the government. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:29 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:28 pm

Clearly. :coffee: :coffee:

Although it would have been nice if people weren’t quite so selfish.

Oh well… :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

TL;DR

I'd rather just complain.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:23 pm TL;DR

Ah, another idea for fixing my siggy! You’re gold, 89! :nod:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:26 pm
89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:23 pm TL;DR

Doesn't have quite the same cache though. This is more of a water is wet comment. 8-)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:30 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:26 pm

Doesn't have quite the same cache though. This is more of a water is wet comment. 8-)
That’s what they said about Faulkner. 8-)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:16 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:29 pm

You mean selfish like the Karens who a) think that THEIR health depends on something I do or is somehow MY responsibility despite the proven lack of effectiveness of vaccines in general and that b) are willing to publicly mock and ridicule anyone who doesn't agree with their freedom-sucking take on vaccine mandates?

And by the way, when the selfishness is an expression of personal freedom (we do still have that, right? This is still America?) it's not considered selfishness, we prefer "rugged individualism"... ;) ;)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

By the way, I'm taking some of the best ideas from this thread and incorporating them into my actual manifesto. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:42 pm By the way, I'm taking some of the best ideas from this thread and incorporating them into my actual manifesto. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
PSA - Do not accept any packages from AZ Kaczynski. ;)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:41 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:16 pm

You mean selfish like the Karens who a) think that THEIR health depends on something I do or is somehow MY responsibility despite the proven lack of effectiveness of vaccines in general and that b) are willing to publicly mock and ridicule anyone who doesn't agree with their freedom-sucking take on vaccine mandates?

And by the way, when the selfishness is an expression of personal freedom (we do still have that, right? This is still America?) it's not considered selfishness, we prefer "rugged individualism"... ;) ;)
And let's not forget the rude, selfish Karens who take it upon themselves to berate and sometimes physically attack store employees, restaurant servers, flight attendants, etc. who are just doing their job when asking customers to wear a mask as required by stated policy.

If you don't like the policy then don't shop in the store, eat at the restaurant or fly commercially.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:11 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:02 pm

I don’t know of any state where just having ‘a joint’ will get you thrown in prison (more than a year). Just looked up TX. According to FindLaw under .25 oz is a Class B misdemeanor pubishable by up to 180 days in jail (not prison). How many people have actually gotten 180 days for ‘a joint’ (sans having a lengthy record). If the majority of Texans don’t agree with the pot laws, they can get the law(s) changed. I believe in general its easier to get a state law changed, than a national one.

I think the drinking age should be left up to the states. There’s nothing in the constitution about it.

I take a contructionist view. Article 1/Sec 8 lays out the 18 sets of enumerated powers of Congress. Abortion, drugs, drinking age, etc aren’t in there. And the 10th basically says if if not there, its up to the states..
You wanna split hairs about "jail" or "prison" fine. Still think it should be a national law, which eliminates the issues when moving between states.
Ok, you’re not as much for federalism then..

Edit: Again, I agree with everything else you have (90+%) outside the states’ rights/federalism stuff.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:27 pm
Pwns wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:41 pm Get rid of ALL closed primaries.
Require rotation of primary dates (i.e. Iowa and New Hampshire don't always go first)
12 year term MAX for senators and house members

$2500 vouchers for lower-income individuals to get out of crowded, expensive cities
break up any bank that's too big to fail
bar Social Media companies from censoring information
cancel $250 billion of China debt over Covid
I strongly disagree with abolishing closed primaries on freedom of association grounds. Why should an unaffiliated voter have a right to select a major party candidate if he has no skin in the game? Many states let you change your registration before a primary and later change back. Leave it to the states, but don’t force open primaries on all of them. Of course, crossover primaries (where Donks can vote in GOP primaries and vice versa) are the absolute worst.
I agree completely. By that I mean that I don't think we should abolish closed primaries. I think we should abolish open primaries. If you are going to vote on who the Republican candidate should be, you should have to be a Republican. That's the point. A PARTY is choosing its candidate. Only members of that party should be allowed to vote for who the candidate of the party should be.

And the thing about Dems voting in Republican primaries and vice versa is obvious. We shouldn't want a system wherein Republicans can go out and vote for the Democratic candidate they think is most likely to lose the general election or the other way around.

If you want to vote in a Party primary, flipping become a member of that Party.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

You mean selfish like the Karens who a) think that THEIR health depends on something I do or is somehow MY responsibility despite the proven lack of effectiveness of vaccines in general
You are not dealing with reality. There is no "proven lack of effectiveness of vaccines."

And that's the problem. We have so many people in the United States who are just totally divorced from reality.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JoanStBehar wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:43 pm
You mean selfish like the Karens who a) think that THEIR health depends on something I do or is somehow MY responsibility despite the proven lack of effectiveness of vaccines in general
You are not dealing with reality. There is no "proven lack of effectiveness of vaccines."

And that's the problem. We have so many people in the United States who are just totally divorced from reality.
Does the efficacy of the vaccine erode over time? Is it possible that it's worse (i.e. you're more vulnerable to COVID) to have been vaccinated than not, say 180-240+ days from your last dose?

The vaccines have bought us time but I'm not sure they're the long term solution.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:43 pm

The so called vaccine ie Covid shots have been proven effective in lessening symtoms, hospitalizations, deaths for a rather short period of time (6 month ls mas or menos). And its not really a vaccine if you’re going to need a booster every 6 months.

They have not been problvem effective in preventing the spread. Ex we’ve got 3-4x the cases that we had a year ago when hardly anyone had gotten shots..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Take that shit to the COVID thread or I’ll add “Revoke 1st Amendment” to my list.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:10 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:42 pm By the way, I'm taking some of the best ideas from this thread and incorporating them into my actual manifesto. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
PSA - Do not accept any packages from AZ Kaczynski. ;)
Nah. I’m a lover not a fighter. :kisswink: :kisswink:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:42 pm Take that shit to the COVID thread or I’ll add “Revoke 1st Amendment” to my list.
Amen! :thumb:

Now, back to revoking birthright citizenship and fortifying the border.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:13 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:42 pm Take that shit to the COVID thread or I’ll add “Revoke 1st Amendment” to my list.
Amen! :thumb:

Now, back to revoking birthright citizenship and fortifying the border.
Exactly. :nod: :nod: :nod: