Total votes: 33

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: January 6 - How much do you care?

Post by UNI88 »

Pwns wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:15 am
kalm wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:29 am Good point.

I mean, there's any number of embarrassing stuff they could seize that have nothing to do with classified docs.

If it was so justified and something big was found, why not let us know?
That's not how it works with a criminal investigation.

The FBI is sticking their necks way out on this one. I don't think they do it unless they have serious suspicions and a very high likelihood of finding something they can take to court.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:47 am

I mean, there's any number of embarrassing stuff they could seize that have nothing to do with classified docs.

The FBI is sticking their necks way out on this one. I don't think they do it unless they have serious suspicions and a very high likelihood of finding something they can take to court.
I hope they do. This needs to be a slam dunk, this isn't something you do just to get back some classified documents that don't amount to a whole lot. I recognize that former officials can't be taking classified documents with them when they leave office or their job, but I also don't pretend that Trump is the only one ever to do that. If he did, what did he take with him, why did he take them, and what has he been doing with them? If all we're doing is crossing the t's and dotting the i's of some archivist's checklist of document storage, then we probably could've done this in a less visible manner. If Trump's doing something nefarious with these documents, or hiding something, then that's a different story. Regardless, the government has to be transparent about what they're doing and not just let the conspiracy denizens fill in the gap.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:55 am

I hope they do. This needs to be a slam dunk, this isn't something you do just to get back some classified documents that don't amount to a whole lot. I recognize that former officials can't be taking classified documents with them when they leave office or their job, but I also don't pretend that Trump is the only one ever to do that. If he did, what did he take with him, why did he take them, and what has he been doing with them? If all we're doing is crossing the t's and dotting the i's of some archivist's checklist of document storage, then we probably could've done this in a less visible manner. If Trump's doing something nefarious with these documents, or hiding something, then that's a different story. Regardless, the government has to be transparent about what they're doing and not just let the conspiracy denizens fill in the gap.
Both of these. ^. :nod:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

This is all about keeping Trump off the ticket. This is more of the same where they are going to try and nail Trump for "mishandling" classified documents (the ones he took to Mar A Lago) and ignoring all the other numerous instances of the establishment doing such mishandling. Applying the law differently.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:53 am
So on one side we have the MAGA conspiracists (like BDK here) who think the FBI is completely compromised and a militant wing of the Democratic party, and on the other side we have Lib conspiracists (like kalmie) who think the Secret Service is, in his words, the Praetorian Guard, and part of the militant wing that was going to kidnap Pence and fight to keep Trump in power.

I just gotta say, I don't know how you guys get through the day with your ever evolving conspiracies and how close the world is to armageddon. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 am

This is all about keeping Trump off the ticket. This is more of the same where they are going to try and nail Trump for "mishandling" classified documents (the ones he took to Mar A Lago) and ignoring all the other numerous instances of the establishment doing such mishandling. Applying the law differently.
:suspicious: Why would the Democrats want to keep trump off the ticket? Their best chance in 2024 is with him as the Republican candidate.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:19 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:53 am
So on one side we have the MAGA conspiracists (like BDK here) who think the FBI is completely compromised and a militant wing of the Democratic party, and on the other side we have Lib conspiracists (like kalmie) who think the Secret Service is, in his words, the Praetorian Guard, and part of the militant wing that was going to kidnap Pence and fight to keep Trump in power.

I just gotta say, I don't know how you guys get through the day with your ever evolving conspiracies and how close the world is to armageddon. :coffee:
:notworthy: Holy shiite, Ganny nails it!
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:45 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 am

:suspicious: Why would the Democrats want to keep trump off the ticket? Their best chance in 2024 is with him as the Republican candidate.
Because he's an outsider and the establishment cannot risk him getting back in power. Don't take my word for it, take Marc Elias's word.

They are also trying to elicit a reaction from Trump supporters as well. Goading them into doing something stupid so it can be used to help with the upcoming elections.

Last edited by SeattleGriz on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:47 am
Because he's an outsider and the establishment cannot risk him getting back in power. Don't take my word for it, take Marc Elias's word.

First:
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:19 am Twitter is your new news source?
Second, maybe trump shouldn't have taken those classified documents to MAL with him. Actions have consequences even for privileged millionaires.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:54 am

First:
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:19 am Twitter is your new news source?
Second, maybe trump shouldn't have taken those classified documents to MAL with him. Actions have consequences even for privileged millionaires.
Do you know who Marc Elias is? He's a fully entrenched Dem lawyer.

Why are they involving the FBI (criminal), when this is a civil aspect?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:56 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:54 am
First:

How do I know that is the same Marc Elias?

Violations of 18 U.S. Code § 2071 are civil violations?

trump fvcked up. He should man and take responsibility for his actions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

:rofl:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:59 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:56 am

You're really reaching for anything here.

There is a blue check next to his name and I posted his direct tweet.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:55 am I hope they do. This needs to be a slam dunk, this isn't something you do just to get back some classified documents that don't amount to a whole lot. I recognize that former officials can't be taking classified documents with them when they leave office or their job, but I also don't pretend that Trump is the only one ever to do that. If he did, what did he take with him, why did he take them, and what has he been doing with them? If all we're doing is crossing the t's and dotting the i's of some archivist's checklist of document storage, then we probably could've done this in a less visible manner. If Trump's doing something nefarious with these documents, or hiding something, then that's a different story. Regardless, the government has to be transparent about what they're doing and not just let the conspiracy denizens fill in the gap.
I agree with most of this.

However, these documents have been known about through public reporting for quite sometime. I would be surprised if the feds haven't been trying to get them nicely and have been rebuffed...
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:03 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:59 am

I'm fvcking with you and using your own words about twatter against you on Elias. :poke:

Did trump take classified documents to MAL? Is he above the law?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:08 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:03 am

I'm fvcking with you and using your own words about twatter against you on Elias. :poke:

I have no clue what he took, but instances like this in the past have been dealt with in a civil and not criminal manner.

Hillary had somewhere around 588 violations of mishandling classified documents, but was never put through this. This is about trying to keep Trump off the ticket and to goad his supporters into doing something stupid.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:11 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:08 am

I have no clue what he took, but instances like this in the past have been dealt with in a civil and not criminal manner.

Hillary had somewhere around 588 violations of mishandling classified documents, but was never put through this. This is about trying to keep Trump off the ticket and to goad his supporters into doing something stupid.
To paraphrase BDK, "but Hillary".
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

No one really believes "no one is above the law" in our system, right? Does anyone really think the same set of rules that apply to the political class apply to us hoi polloi?

Of course when you have someone who is hated by the political class then all of the sudden we have to go on fishing expeditions with congressional inquiries and raids by the feds on private property. :lol:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Pwns wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:40 am No one really believes "no one is above the law" in our system, right? Does anyone really think the same set of rules that apply to the political class apply to us hoi polloi?

Of course when you have someone who is hated by the political class then all of the sudden we have to go on fishing expeditions with congressional inquiries and raids by the feds on private property. :lol:
Does anyone really believe that trump wants to shake up the entrenched powers for altruistic reasons? That his intention isn't to replace the existing graft with his own?

I appreciate what he's done to expose the graft but putting him back in power and giving him an opportunity to fvck things up and further enrich himself is foolish.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:11 am

Oh, I forgot. It's okay to have two standards of law.

Obama is "in the club" too, so it was okay.
And yet the accumulation of recent congressional testimony has made it clear that the Obama administration itself engaged in the wholesale destruction and “loss” of tens of thousands of government records covered under the act as well as the intentional evasion of the government records recording system by engaging in private email exchanges
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:47 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 am
Oh, I forgot. It's okay to have two standards of law.

Obama is "in the club" too, so it was okay.
And yet the accumulation of recent congressional testimony has made it clear that the Obama administration itself engaged in the wholesale destruction and “loss” of tens of thousands of government records covered under the act as well as the intentional evasion of the government records recording system by engaging in private email exchanges
Let's split the difference and lock trump and Hillary up for the rest of their lives. We remove 2 cancerous criminal grifters from public life, it's a win-win!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

They are also trying to elicit a reaction from Trump supporters as well. Goading them into doing something stupid so it can be used to help with the upcoming elections.

Yep. The left would love nothing more than another J6 moment before the midterms.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

When they go to far for even Cuomo..