CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: January 6 - How much do you care?

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:39 am So to summarize the word salad, the mechanism by which a mob in the capitol building would install Trump for four more years is chaos, and “we don’t know” and “we don’t know”. Sounds like a definite 10 to me!

Actually we do know, klam

The answer is - strawmen threats to congresspeople aside- that no mob in the capitol building could have installed Trump for another term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll grant you the outcome probably would have been the same. So if you’d like I’ll reduce it to a 9 or 8 or….whatever. But I’m not interested in even getting close to testing it. Similar to civil war, or national divorce, or additional limited political violence I don’t think any of you would be quite so cavalier if it were to actually happen either.

I’ll ask again…what did you vote?
You know what else I’m cavalier about? Things that I would be super concerned about if they actually did happen?

Alien invasion
Detroit winning the Super Bowl
North Korea invading Alabama
Monkeys flying out of my butt
JSO stepping on a crack
Me dying of ovarian cancer

Are you picking up the common thread here?

BTW I voted a 4 and I call BS on you missing it because it is just above one of my 4 goofball D&D references that you catalogued on your abacus. Go back and read about it.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:24 pm
kalm wrote:
I’ll grant you the outcome probably would have been the same. So if you’d like I’ll reduce it to a 9 or 8 or….whatever. But I’m not interested in even getting close to testing it. Similar to civil war, or national divorce, or additional limited political violence I don’t think any of you would be quite so cavalier if it were to actually happen either.

I’ll ask again…what did you vote?
You know what else I’m cavalier about? Things that I would be super concerned about if they actually did happen?

Alien invasion
JSO stepping on a crack

BTW I voted a 4 and I call BS on you missing it because it is just above one of my 4 goofball D&D references that you catalogued on your abacus. Go back and read about it.

You forgot marxist takeover.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:22 pm
CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:24 pm

Alien invasion
JSO stepping on a crack

Ironically something that’s many many many times more likely than Jan 6 being anything of substance or anything on CID’s list.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:16 am

Ironically something that’s many many many times more likely than Jan 6 being anything of substance or anything on CID’s list.
I know, right? 8-)
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:49 pm Was reading something in the AP about Senator Mike Rounds (SD) spat with Trump that called January 6 "the deadliest domestic attack on Congress in the nation’s history" and it go me wondering about other attacks. Here are two, one of which has been mentioned.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/history-violent-attacks-capitol-180976704/
1954: Puerto Rican nationalists open fire
Around 2:30 p.m., Lebrón shouted her support for Puerto Rican independence, and the group shot indiscriminately at lawmakers from the gallery. They managed to wound five Congressmen before being overtaken by visitors and police officers, per a House of Representatives oral history of the event.

1983: Far-left extremists bomb the Senate Chamber
M19 (May 19th Communist Organization) detonated a bomb in the Capitol’s north wing, blowing a hole through a wall and knocking the Senate majority leader’s office door off its hinges. Luckily, the area was already deserted and nobody was harmed, but the attack resulted in $250,000 wo
Deadliest is hyperbole (or histrionics for Kalm) - one person died.

Does an attack on Congress have to be at the Capitol? There were no casualties from the Congressional Baseball attack but four people were shot including the House Majority Whip.
What kind of sentences were handed out in the events of which you speak? Use them as a guide for sentencing anybody convicted of sedition.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Bullshit. Bernie can't even get nominated by the lefty party, where are all these Marxists?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:48 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:49 pm Was reading something in the AP about Senator Mike Rounds (SD) spat with Trump that called January 6 "the deadliest domestic attack on Congress in the nation’s history" and it go me wondering about other attacks. Here are two, one of which has been mentioned.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/history-violent-attacks-capitol-180976704/

Deadliest is hyperbole (or histrionics for Kalm) - one person died.

Does an attack on Congress have to be at the Capitol? There were no casualties from the Congressional Baseball attack but four people were shot including the House Majority Whip.
What kind of sentences were handed out in the events of which you speak? Use them as a guide for sentencing anybody convicted of sedition.
I don't know and I'm fine with throwing the book at these rioters. Just throw the same book at the AnTiFa/BLM rioters, they're guilty of similar crimes.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

I’m for equality under the law and having the punishment fit the crime.

Charge Jan 6 folks with criminal trespass, and destruction of property.

Charge Antifa and BLM with destroying property, murder, insurrection, etc.

Convict appropriately.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

LeadBolt wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:50 am I’m for equality under the law and having the punishment fit the crime.

Convict appropriately.
What the Jan 6 folks actually did might have been just criminal trespass and destruction of property but IMO their intent was more significant. They wanted to overturn the election. It was just as much of an insurrection as the AnTiFa/BLM riots. Just because they were incompetent and had almost no chance of succeeding doesn't change their intent.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:17 am
LeadBolt wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:50 am I’m for equality under the law and having the punishment fit the crime.

Convict appropriately.
What the Jan 6 folks actually did might have been just criminal trespass and destruction of property but IMO their intent was more significant. They wanted to overturn the election. It was just as much of an insurrection as the AnTiFa/BLM riots. Just because they were incompetent and had almost no chance of succeeding doesn't change their intent.
Agree.

But it comes down to what can be proven in a court of law. Being incompetent/idiot isn't illegal.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

houndawg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:52 pm

Bullshit. Bernie can't even get nominated by the lefty party, where are all these Marxists?
Apparently, living in Egypt with you.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:19 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:17 am What the Jan 6 folks actually did might have been just criminal trespass and destruction of property but IMO their intent was more significant. They wanted to overturn the election. It was just as much of an insurrection as the AnTiFa/BLM riots. Just because they were incompetent and had almost no chance of succeeding doesn't change their intent.
Agree.

But it comes down to what can be proven in a court of law. Being incompetent/idiot isn't illegal.
I posted that because I get tired of the "what they did was wrong but what the other side did was worse" arguments. All of it was wrong, they might not be able to prove it but all of it was seditious. Charge all of them to the fullest extent possible. No favorites, no going easy on a particular group because someone in power feels that they had a legitimate gripe. We are a nation of laws and those laws should be applied equally.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:49 am

Agree.

I posted that because I get tired of the "what they did was wrong but what the other side did was worse" arguments. All of it was wrong, they might not be able to prove it but all of it was seditious. Charge all of them to the fullest extent possible. No favorites, no going easy on a particular group because someone in power feels that they had a legitimate gripe. We are a nation of laws and those laws should be applied equally.

Fully agree. :thumb:

The "what they did was wrong but what the other side did was worse" is an exercise in justification by those folks due to the fact they want to be perceived in a better light (or make themselves feel better if only subconsciously).

I also get tired of those same arguments and the playing of favorites by people/media.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Agree.

But they aren’t being applied equally, and they won’t be applied equally.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:00 pm

Which is my primary issue. Not that they be held accountable, but that only ONE side is being held accountable.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

No, they aren't and they likely won't be. Bias in our laws and how they're applied is wrong regardless of the reason. Whether it's ideology, skin color or something else.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:08 pm
No, they aren't and they likely won't be. Bias in our laws and how they're applied is wrong regardless of the reason. Whether it's ideology, skin color or something else.

There is a difference in how they are being reported/promoted but that does not translate into how the cases are tried. Good example is Rittenhouse.

There are DA's that are bypassing this by choosing not to prosecute but that is a different story.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:04 pm
Which is my primary issue. Not that they be held accountable, but that only ONE side is being held accountable.
Yep, I know you stated the same on the 2020 Election thread..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:38 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:08 pm

There is a difference in how they are being reported/promoted but that does not translate into how the cases are tried. Good example is Rittenhouse.

There are DA's that are bypassing this by choosing not to prosecute but that is a different story.
The issues is, does a case ever GET to the point of being tried. Is an arrest even made? There should be 3-4,000 Antifa punks sitting in jail right now, but exactly how many are there? Meanwhile, the FBI turned over every fucking rock in the country to find anyone even remotely related to the “insurrection” and get them charged.
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

UNI88 wrote:

Convict appropriately.
If you want to be the thought police go ahead.

I’m for punishment of actions, primarily with intent being secondary.

If the Jan 6 folks had stayed and declared an autonomous zone, I would charge them with insurrection as well.

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

If these guys were communicating before Jan 6 and caching weapons then Im pretty sure they made their intentions clear.

Let’s see what the FBI has on them. Yhen we can parse out how a conspiracy is or inst s conspiracy

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

LeadBolt wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:18 pm
UNI88 wrote:

If the Jan 6 folks had stayed and declared an autonomous zone, I would charge them with insurrection as well.
Then how is AnTiFa/BLM insurrection? They didn't even make it on to government property in most cases. Yes, they destroyed property but how do you know it was insurrection if you don't infer intent by being thought police?

And murder? How people were murdered by AnTiFa/BLM? Aaron Danielson and who else? There were victims of violence on both sides of those "protests".

Let's apply the same standard to both groups of so-called protesters.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:49 pm
LeadBolt wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:18 pm

Then how is AnTiFa/BLM insurrection? They didn't even make it on to government property in most cases. Yes, they destroyed property but how do you know it was insurrection if you don't infer intent by being thought police?

And murder? How people were murdered by AnTiFa/BLM? Aaron Danielson and who else? There were victims of violence on both sides of those "protests".

88, I think you were never a team captain in elementary school kickball, because you could never pick a side.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:02 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:49 pm

88, I think you were never a team captain in elementary school kickball, because you could never pick a side.

I'm just sittin' on a fence
You can say I got no sense
Trying to make up my mind
Really is too horrifying
So I'm sittin on a fence

;)

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:33 pm
Winterborn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:38 pm

The issues is, does a case ever GET to the point of being tried. Is an arrest even made? There should be 3-4,000 Antifa punks sitting in jail right now, but exactly how many are there? Meanwhile, the FBI turned over every fucking rock in the country to find anyone even remotely related to the “insurrection” and get them charged.
As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now for the rest of the story." :nod:

And what you mentioned is a problem because it is creating a perception that certain actions are permissible.