CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: January 6 - How much do you care?

Post by CID1990 »

HI54UNI wrote:
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:58 am I’ve only asked that question on here a dozen times and long before CID’s request. Still waiting for an honest reply. Feel free to take a whack at it. :coffee:
Hopefully they would've taken Nancy to a botox center.
FYP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:20 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:58 am
I’ve only asked that question on here a dozen times and long before CID’s request. Still waiting for an honest reply. Feel free to take a whack at it. :coffee:
Hopefully they would've taken Nancy to a detox center.
Would they wean her off of expensive ice cream? :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:09 am
Pence’s certification was a formality and not a requirement because the question would have expeditiously moved to SCOTUS just as it did when Democrats tried their own “stop the steal” in 2000.

But back to my original question which you predictably avoided answering -

Tell me the mechanism that would have allowed the Jan 6 mob in the capitol building to allow Trump to remain in office. Because if that isn’t the Threat To Democracy TM you are voting a 10 on (over being a bit unsettled) I’m not sure what is.

Again, I’ll wait
And that's the great question that no one ever seems to deal with. So what if the mob took and kept control of the building and got their hands on members of Congress, at least so what from a standpoint of a working government? There is literally no path to that mob, or Trump, or anyone else to using that to seize and hold on to power. America and democracy were never going to fall on Jan 6th, and it wasn't even a flicker of concern that it would. Holding onto a building, as pretty as it is, has nothing to do with the working of democracy in America. Heck, we haven't been able to get in the building for two years (other than the mob on 1/6) and we're still able to run the country just fine.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

You're making too much sense Ganny.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Here's why we should commemorate January 6th:

Gas was $1.79/gallon
The US was energy independent
The pipeline was being built
NoKo, Russia and China were boxed in politically
Unemployment was at historic lows
GDP was strong
Inflation was below 2%
We were out of the Paris Accord
We were out of the Iran Nuclear deal

What do we have now?

Gas is $3.50 a gallon
We're no longer energy independent, we're beholden to OPEC
Pipeline is shut down (10,000 jobs lost)
NoKo is testing long range missiles
Russia is poised to invade Ukraine
China is the defacto world leader and pulling US strings
People quitting jobs in record numbers
GDP 2.3%
Inflation - 7% (highest in 40 years)
And we're operating economically with both hands tied behind our back since we're back in the Paris Accord

Yep. January 6th was one of the last great days for this nation. Certainly the last one in 2021.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:04 am
Pence’s certification was a formality and not a requirement because the question would have expeditiously moved to SCOTUS just as it did when Democrats tried their own “stop the steal” in 2000.

Tell me the mechanism that would have allowed the Jan 6 mob in the capitol building to allow Trump to remain in office. Because if that isn’t the Threat To Democracy TM you are voting a 10 on (over being a bit unsettled) I’m not sure what is.

Again, I’ll wait
And that's the great question that no one ever seems to deal with. So what if the mob took and kept control of the building and got their hands on members of Congress, at least so what from a standpoint of a working government? There is literally no path to that mob, or Trump, or anyone else to using that to seize and hold on to power. America and democracy were never going to fall on Jan 6th, and it wasn't even a flicker of concern that it would. Holding onto a building, as pretty as it is, has nothing to do with the working of democracy in America. Heck, we haven't been able to get in the building for two years (other than the mob on 1/6) and we're still able to run the country just fine.
The chatterati is dependent on people believing it - ... a literal threat to our democracy

Election night in 2024 they'll be beating that drum not realizing it is driving their vote count down
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:05 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:01 pm

Well… Marinus of Rab, or the Icelanders, or the Kiwi’s might argue with your…histrionics. ;)

I will of course neither be surprised nor all that heartbroken if the Dems get their asses handed to them. But a 20 year wilderness trip prediction is even less likely than your DeSantis dream. :lol:
a 20 year wilderness trip sounds like the flip side of the JSO "demographics don't favor conservatives" coin. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This country's voting populace is so fickle and so easily swayed and so ill-informed I can envision a bloodbath in 2022 and still seeing the Rep's lose seats (and possibly the presidential election) in 2024. :nod: :nod: :ohno: :ohno:
Thats why 19 States are working feverishly to install home cooking in their election systems. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Again, I’ll wait
And that's the great question that no one ever seems to deal with. So what if the mob took and kept control of the building and got their hands on members of Congress, at least so what from a standpoint of a working government?There is literally no path to that mob, or Trump, or anyone else to using that to seize and hold on to power. America and democracy were never going to fall on Jan 6th, and it wasn't even a flicker of concern that it would. Holding onto a building, as pretty as it is, has nothing to do with the working of democracy in America. Heck, we haven't been able to get in the building for two years (other than the mob on 1/6) and we're still able to run the country just fine.
It does give me a warm feeling to think of McCarthy pissing himself under his desk while shrieking at the White House to do something :mrgreen:

And Mike Pence getting lynched is damn near fapworthy..... :D
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:03 pm

The chatterati is dependent on people believing it - ... a literal threat to our democracy

Election night in 2024 they'll be beating that drum not realizing it is driving their vote count down
Another reason I come here. I picked up a new word. :nod:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:05 am
CID1990 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:03 pm

If you stand on a desk/table and sing a song about it to your co-workers you get to go home for the day. :)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

kalm wrote:
They probably weren’t, but that coupled with what Team Trump was doing is a bit unsettling. Navarro just recently suggested that the terrorists (oops, I mean patriots) fucked up their plans.

I’ll give you an outline when you outline what would have happened if the mob had caught up with Pelosi, AOC, Romney, or Pence.

Or what would have happened if Pence had decided to not certify?
“A bit unsettling”

Is that what you call a 10 on your Richter Scale of handwringing?

Even though you predictably deflected and refused to answer the question, I’ll tell you what may have happened if the mob had caught up to AOC or Pelosi or Romney - they certainly would have been assaulted, maybe even killed. But that is just speculation AND it is immaterial. Just as when a leftist nut opened fire on a baseball practice with the intent of killing Republicans- the business of government would have carried on just as it did then.

Again, I’ll wait

If you’re still curious about my concerns go back and read my initial rating post. It pretty much spells it out. I don’t expect you to agree or understand. I didn’t when I first wrote it.

As for the mechanics of the attempted soft coup…similar to my question, it’s obviously pure speculation too. But that’s part of the concern. We don’t know. What we do know is never underestimate trump and the chaos he apparently enjoys. (Like sitting around for a few hours simply watching the storming of the capital while his friends, family, and advisors pleaded with him to do something.).

Were his actions coordinated with the riot? It appears less likely now. Did his associates have plans well underway to subvert the process via the states? Yes…Navarro among others basically spoken the quiet parts out loud.

The mechanism would have been further violence, a necessary postponement of the vote, and the extra time and chaos/noise to consider a refusal to step down and demand for a new election. So chaos (Trump thrives in it) leading to a constitutional crisis. SCOTUS could have stepped in but their rulings would also be an uncertainty.

Again…as 89 suggested, we don’t know. But that works in both directions. Comparing it to the Scalese shooting and trying a bit too hard to diminish the significance suggests some of you are a bit uneasy about admitting threats to our democracy. Even IF those threats are being overplayed in the media, nothing like this has happened in our lifetimes. Like I said in my first post…this is shit we don’t want to get even remotely close to.

Btw…what number did you vote?

Now…you can all feel free to flame away with more harsh words and insincerity. :thumb: :lol:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:22 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:05 am

If you stand on a desk/table and sing a song about it to your co-workers you get to go home for the day. :)
If the office wasn't so empty I might have given that a try. :D

I was the only one in my seating area till about 8am, when it usually is about half full at that time normally (winter storm warning, has been snowing for most of the morning, and a large part of the office is on a hybrid work schedule).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:33 am
“A bit unsettling”

Even though you predictably deflected and refused to answer the question, I’ll tell you what may have happened if the mob had caught up to AOC or Pelosi or Romney - they certainly would have been assaulted, maybe even killed. But that is just speculation AND it is immaterial. Just as when a leftist nut opened fire on a baseball practice with the intent of killing Republicans- the business of government would have carried on just as it did then.

Again, I’ll wait

If you’re still curious about my concerns go back and read my initial rating post. It pretty much spells it out. I don’t expect you to agree or understand. I didn’t when I first wrote it.

As for the mechanics of the attempted soft coup…similar to my question, it’s obviously pure speculation too. But that’s part of the concern. We don’t know. What we do know is never underestimate trump and the chaos he apparently enjoys. (Like sitting around for a few hours simply watching the storming of the capital while his friends, family, and advisors pleaded with him to do something.).

Were his actions coordinated with the riot? It appears less likely now. Did his associates have plans well underway to subvert the process via the states? Yes…Navarro among others basically spoken the quiet parts out loud.

The mechanism would have been further violence, a necessary postponement of the vote, and the extra time and chaos/noise to consider a refusal to step down and demand for a new election. So chaos (Trump thrives in it) leading to a constitutional crisis. SCOTUS could have stepped in but their rulings would also be an uncertainty.

Again…as 89 suggested, we don’t know. But that works in both directions. Comparing it to the Scalese shooting and trying a bit too hard to diminish the significance suggests some of you are a bit uneasy about admitting threats to our democracy. Even IF those threats are being overplayed in the media, nothing like this has happened in our lifetimes. Like I said in my first post…this is shit we don’t want to get even remotely close to.

Now…you can all feel free to flame away with more harsh words and insincerity. :thumb: :lol:
I’m preeeeeety sure that if the civil war didn’t result in the taking down of our government, a guy in a Viking hat and speedo (to use Marco Rubio’s phrase :lol: ) and a bunch of suburban housewives wasn’t going to do it.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:39 am

I’m preeeeeety sure that if the civil war didn’t result in the taking down of our government, a guy in a Viking hat and speedo (to use Marco Rubio’s phrase :lol: ) and a bunch of suburban housewives wasn’t going to do it.
True but I’m not sure we want to get even close. Besides, housewives and guys wearing Viking helmets have wreaked havoc before… ;)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:33 am As for the mechanics of the attempted soft coup…similar to my question, it’s obviously pure speculation too. But that’s part of the concern. We don’t know.
Sure we do guy. Was Biden not inaugurated on January 20th on schedule?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

“A bit unsettling”

Again, I’ll wait

I'll answer your question ... if the mob had gotten to Pence or Pelosi, maybe they would have harassed them and nothing else, maybe they would have killed them. We can't know for sure but it probably would have been something in between. I do believe that regardless of what they would have done, the election would have been certified and Biden would have been inaugurated.

If Trump made a power grab during the chao, the Supreme Court and our other institutions would have prevented him from holding power more than temporarily. That power grab would have hurt his image with independents and moderates even more and forced more Republicans to denounce him. His place in history would have been one of disgrace.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:09 am “A bit unsettling”

Again, I’ll wait

So to summarize the word salad, the mechanism by which a mob in the capitol building would install Trump for four more years is chaos, and “we don’t know” and “we don’t know”. Sounds like a definite 10 to me!

Actually we do know, klam

The answer is - strawmen threats to congresspeople aside- that no mob in the capitol building could have installed Trump for another term.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:39 am
kalm wrote:

So to summarize the word salad, the mechanism by which a mob in the capitol building would install Trump for four more years is chaos, and “we don’t know” and “we don’t know”. Sounds like a definite 10 to me!

The answer is - strawmen threats to congresspeople aside- that no mob in the capitol building could have installed Trump for another term.

I’ll grant you the outcome probably would have been the same. So if you’d like I’ll reduce it to a 9 or 8 or….whatever. But I’m not interested in even getting close to testing it. Similar to civil war, or national divorce, or additional limited political violence I don’t think any of you would be quite so cavalier if it were to actually happen either.

I’ll ask again…what did you vote?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:14 am
CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:39 am So to summarize the word salad, the mechanism by which a mob in the capitol building would install Trump for four more years is chaos, and “we don’t know” and “we don’t know”. Sounds like a definite 10 to me!

I’ll grant you the outcome probably would have been the same. So if you’d like I’ll reduce it to a 9 or 8 or….whatever. But I’m not interested in even getting close to testing it. Similar to civil war, or national divorce, or additional limited political violence I don’t think any of you would be quite so cavalier if it were to actually happen either.

CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:50 am I’m at about a 4 right now, but that is less because I believe that the QAnon Shaman could have delivered us another 4 years of Trump by seizing the Mighty Gavel of Power +3 from the level 42 Bitch Queen of Sanfrancomium, and more because the GOP has its own set of nuts and cunts that it needs to push out.

The Democratic Party lost its monopoly on political violence on 6 Jan and that’s a monopoly I am happy with them keeping.
If January 6 is a 9 or 8 on a scale of 1-10 then the Civil War and Pearl Harbor were each 100. 9/11 wasn't quite at that level, probably around 75-80.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:23 am
kalm wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:14 am

CID1990 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:50 am I’m at about a 4 right now, but that is less because I believe that the QAnon Shaman could have delivered us another 4 years of Trump by seizing the Mighty Gavel of Power +3 from the level 42 Bitch Queen of Sanfrancomium, and more because the GOP has its own set of nuts and cunts that it needs to push out.

The Democratic Party lost its monopoly on political violence on 6 Jan and that’s a monopoly I am happy with them keeping.
If January 6 is a 9 or 8 on a scale of 1-10 then the Civil War and Pearl Harbor were each 100. 9/11 wasn't quite at that level, probably around 75-80.
Missed that from CID. Thanks.

Regarding your comparisons, I think the question was “How much do you care?”.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

For the record, I didn't care about Pearl Harbor at all when it happened.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:30 pm For the record, I didn't care about Pearl Harbor at all when it happened.
:grizo1:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Was reading something in the AP about Senator Mike Rounds (SD) spat with Trump that called January 6 "the deadliest domestic attack on Congress in the nation’s history" and it go me wondering about other attacks. Here are two, one of which has been mentioned.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/history-violent-attacks-capitol-180976704/
1954: Puerto Rican nationalists open fire
Around 2:30 p.m., Lebrón shouted her support for Puerto Rican independence, and the group shot indiscriminately at lawmakers from the gallery. They managed to wound five Congressmen before being overtaken by visitors and police officers, per a House of Representatives oral history of the event.

1983: Far-left extremists bomb the Senate Chamber
M19 (May 19th Communist Organization) detonated a bomb in the Capitol’s north wing, blowing a hole through a wall and knocking the Senate majority leader’s office door off its hinges. Luckily, the area was already deserted and nobody was harmed, but the attack resulted in $250,000 wo
Deadliest is hyperbole (or histrionics for Kalm) - one person died.

Does an attack on Congress have to be at the Capitol? There were no casualties from the Congressional Baseball attack but four people were shot including the House Majority Whip.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:30 pm For the record, I didn't care about Pearl Harbor at all when it happened.
:lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:49 pm Does an attack on Congress have to be at the Capitol? There were no casualties from the Congressional Baseball attack but four people were shot including the House Majority Whip.
That was worse than 1/6.