Total votes: 33

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: January 6 - How much do you care?

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:01 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:55 am I do love the pearl clutching by both sides ... "oh my, this was an existential threat to the republic, we have to get to the bottom of it" vs. "this was just a peaceful protest, no big deal, we need to move on".
how is "no big deal, we need to move on" = "pearl clutching"?
It was a big deal and should be investigated. Maybe it would have been more accurate if I'd used "obfuscating and whining like b!tches" instead of "pearl clutching".

And those who complain about this being one-sided are "whining like b!tches". It's McCarthy's, not Pelosi's, fault it's one-sided and he did that with trump's blessing.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:34 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:01 am

how is "no big deal, we need to move on" = "pearl clutching"?
And those who complain about this being one-sided are "whining like b!tches". It's McCarthy's, not Pelosi's, fault it's one-sided and he did that with trump's blessing.
Eh, while I put more of the blame on the GOP for making it one-sided, the Dems did deny the GOP multiple people they wanted on the committee. I don't think committees are normally that restrictive from the majority party. It was after the GOP wasn't able to name who they wanted on the committee that the left the process. Both sides got what they wanted, a truly political process they could spin to their constituents.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:37 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:25 am
Can’t tell from the pic if the circled person is walking or jogging. Certainly doesn’t look like ‘running’.. :coffee:
If you watched the hearing you’d know the pic is a still from the video showing him running.

:rofl:
Ok, but that’s not running. That’s jogging. Big difference. So its fake news that he was running.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:48 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:34 am
Eh, while I put more of the blame on the GOP for making it one-sided, the Dems did deny the GOP multiple people they wanted on the committee. I don't think committees are normally that restrictive from the majority party. It was after the GOP wasn't able to name who they wanted on the committee that the left the process. Both sides got what they wanted, a truly political process they could spin to their constituents.
I don't like Pelosi but I don't have a problem with her rejecting the appointment of people who reasonably might have been called to testify before the committee. That would have created a conflict of interest.

January 6 was a serious event that should have been seriously investigated. McCarthy tried to appoint some people who were likely to turn it into a circus. That was a failure in leadership on his part.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Less than 3% of the population tuned in last night. Boring.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:59 am

I don't like Pelosi but I don't have a problem with her rejecting the appointment of people who reasonably might have been called to testify before the committee. That would have created a conflict of interest.

January 6 was a serious event that should have been seriously investigated. McCarthy tried to appoint some people who were likely to turn it into a circus. That was a failure in leadership on his part.
In theory, anybody could have been called before the committee. Pelosi said no to Banks, Jordan, and Nehls, and specifically called out that they had voted objections to the electoral count. If that was a disqualification, why is Raskin on the committee as he did the same thing in the 2016 election? And Schiff is on the committee, and after his grandstanding in the Russia probe, one could argue his conduct was far more detrimental than a symbolic objection vote during the count. And I think to date only Jordan has even been a target of investigation.

Like I said, I place more of the blame on the GOP, but the Dems were more than happy to make this a political event in the hopes of impacting future elections (as in the current midterm) rather than a somber and neutral investigation. One thinks if they hadn't pursued impeachment for all 4 of Trump's years that when they impeached him following the Jan 6th riots more people would have gone along with it then and they could've gotten a conviction in the Senate. Probably would've changed the whole tenor of where we are now.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:28 pm Less than 3% of the population tuned in last night. Boring.
My wife has watched all of them and if I happen to be there I watch with her. Haven't seen everything but I find political stuff hard to watch - heck, I haven't sat through a whole State of the Union since the 90's. I'm not sure what we've learned that we didn't know in real time or just soon after. Trump never did anything quietly or secretively - he was an open book and pretty much tweeted what went on or was on camera doing/saying it. I would've voted to impeach Trump for his actions and inactions then. But like I said, the Dems cheapened impeachment with the first time they impeached him so that played a part in not getting him removed when it was truly appropriate after 1/6. That's what happens when you play political games unfortunately.

I turned over to Peaky Blinders - just finished season 5 and moving onto the last season. Far better entertainment. :thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Newsflash- it already is a circus.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:28 pm

In theory, anybody could have been called before the committee. Pelosi said no to Banks, Jordan, and Nehls, and specifically called out that they had voted objections to the electoral count. If that was a disqualification, why is Raskin on the committee as he did the same thing in the 2016 election? And Schiff is on the committee, and after his grandstanding in the Russia probe, one could argue his conduct was far more detrimental than a symbolic objection vote during the count. And I think to date only Jordan has even been a target of investigation.

Like I said, I place more of the blame on the GOP, but the Dems were more than happy to make this a political event in the hopes of impacting future elections (as in the current midterm) rather than a somber and neutral investigation. One thinks if they hadn't pursued impeachment for all 4 of Trump's years that when they impeached him following the Jan 6th riots more people would have gone along with it then and they could've gotten a conviction in the Senate. Probably would've changed the whole tenor of where we are now.
That's fair and I agree that there is plenty of blame to go around. Like BDK posted, it's already a circus. I do disagree with those who try to blow off January 6 like it was just a peaceful protest and no big deal. It was a big deal and should be investigated. Unfortunately our elected officials are more interested in headlines and stoking their base then actually leading.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:59 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:28 pm

That's fair and I agree that there is plenty of blame to go around. Like BDK posted, it's already a circus. I do disagree with those who try to blow off January 6 like it was just a peaceful protest and no big deal. It was a big deal and should be investigated. Unfortunately our elected officials are more interested in headlines and stoking their base then actually leading.
It's actually less of a circus than you typically see out of Congress these days. I just don't think there's a lot of new information that we didn't already know. We're 18 months after this thing now and we generally know now what we knew then - Trump was crazy. And Guilianni was a toady. I knew those things. I thought everyone else did too.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Interesting thread that puts a lot of this into perspective.

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:28 pm Less than 3% of the population tuned in last night. Boring.
Pro Tip: The population that watches TV is much smaller than the total population. And 20,000,000 people is still a lot of people.

What did you find boring about it? Heck, Josh Hawley had them in stitches.. :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:19 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:59 pm

It's actually less of a circus than you typically see out of Congress these days. I just don't think there's a lot of new information that we didn't already know. We're 18 months after this thing now and we generally know now what we knew then - Trump was crazy. And Guilianni was a toady. I knew those things. I thought everyone else did too.
We didn't know the US Secret Service is dirty and that agents close to Trump are lawyering up and that the VP's detail was making calls home to say goodbye.

Puts a lot of strain on a guy's carefully-crafted image as a thoughtful moderate to ignore that :mrgreen:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:24 am
Pro Tip: The population that watches TV is much smaller than the total population. And 20,000,000 people is still a lot of people.

What did you find boring about it? Heck, Josh Hawley had them in stitches.. :thumb:
The same thing I find boring about all of government. The theater of the absurd. Gets old.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:40 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:19 pm

We didn't know the US Secret Service is dirty and that agents close to Trump are lawyering up and that the VP's detail was making calls home to say goodbye.

Puts a lot of strain on a guy's carefully-crafted image as a thoughtful moderate to ignore that :mrgreen:
You didn’t know the SS is dirty? What rock have you been living under?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:46 pm
houndawg wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:40 am

You didn’t know the SS is dirty? What rock have you been living under?
didn't know how dirty is more correct I guess :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:39 am
Give her a microphone and turn her loose! :rofl:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

He should also have asked permission to use the image.
Josh Hawley, the Missouri senator shown running from the mob he incited on January 6, is “a laughingstock” who should be afraid of what the Capitol attack committee might disclose next, a leading newspaper in his home state said.

Donald Trump looks on during a rally ahead of Arizona primary elections.

Hawley was widely criticised for raising a fist to protesters outside Congress on 6 January 2021, then after the mob sent by Donald Trump failed to stop certification of Joe Biden’s election win, voting to object to results anyway.

‘US democracy will not survive for long’: how January 6 hearings plot a roadmap to autocracyBiden ‘doing just fine’ after testing positive for Covid, White House says
Monkeypox declared global health emergency by WHO as cases surgeThousands evacuated over wildfire near Yosemite as California governor declares emergencyPete Buttigieg urges Republicans to back same-sex marriage bill
Biden ‘doing just fine’ after testingpositive for Covid, White House says

Biden ‘doing just fine’ after testing positive for Covid, White House says
The senator cast that vote, American voters now know, after running when rioters broke into Congress.

In an editorial, the Kansas City Star noted that Hawley will soon publish a book entitled Manhood: The Masculine Virtues America Needs, but said people watching the hearing “didn’t see much virile bravado as he ran from the mob”.

The Star began: “Josh Hawley is a laughingstock. During Thursday night’s televised hearings of the House committee investigating the January 6 2021 coup attempt … [Democratic] representative Elaine Luria showed video of Missouri’s junior senator that will surely follow him the rest of his life.………..

The editorial signed off with a warning. Noting the work of Liz Cheney, a Wyoming Republican nonetheless vice-chair of the January 6 committee, it said: “Josh Hawley might not fear a little mockery of his hasty flight from Capitol marauders.

“But he might be justified if he’s afraid of what emails or text messages some previously-loyal staffer might be considering turning over to the House committee.

“Stay tuned to the hearings.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... &fs=e&s=cl
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Not anymore.
https://deadline.com/2022/07/january-6t ... 235075449/

So basically the hearings have avg about 4% of the American public watching, 99% of whom already vote donk anyway.. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:11 am

Not anymore.

So basically the hearings have avg about 4% of the American public watching, 99% of whom already vote donk anyway.. :coffee:
Which speaks poorly for Democracy.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:11 am

Not anymore.

You guys seem to know quite a bit about whats happening for not watching the hearings.

You're like all the 'tards that don't want their grandchildren to know they used to throw rocks at little black children for attending school. :coffee:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Clearly this is a very serious committee.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:32 am Clearly this is a very serious committee.
It's not ok to sink to the level of your opponent? Both sides are posting some juvenile but humorous tweets.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:42 am
HI54UNI wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:32 am Clearly this is a very serious committee.
It's not ok to sink to the level of your opponent? Both sides are posting some juvenile but humorous tweets.
I’d prefer Mr. Kinzinger rise above but I can only imagine the desire to lash out when you and your family are constantly receiving death threats.