What big event impacted you the most?

Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: What big event impacted you the most?

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:02 am
kalm wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:59 am

It will end up being #1 for all of us unless something worse hits. :tiptoe:

The disease wasn’t the worst part psychologically. It was the human reaction to it. Probably a good thing in the long run as it highlighted how dumb and selfish people can be.

Turned me into 89hen practically overnight. :mrgreen:
You forgot “gullible”.
How dare you call me gullible!

:mrgreen:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:47 pm Only a few people like Kalm and UNI88 that can see the BS.
:lol:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:08 am
SDHornet wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:59 pm 9/11 - Happened when I was senior in HS. I tend to think my dad (Vietnam Vet) wouldn't have been as adamant about me going to college had it not happened. Was going to enlist as we didn't have money for college. He said we'd find a way to pay for it and to not enlist. I attribute him living through Vietnam and other foreign war clusterfucks as being the reason to lean heavily on the college route.

Recently the fires not far from Sac have been very impactful. Heavy smoked literally closed things down for days. These were pre-China Virus lockdowns so it was pretty big at the time.
Those fires fucked up the wine production/industry for an entire year’s production. super impactful to the Napa, Russian and Sonoma valley vintners…
Just import the wine from Louisiana. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Hurricane Hugo - I can still remember almost every single minute of that evening and the following days. We had stocked up pretty well and in the aftermath I recall Dad and all the other men in the neighborhood acting as one group to clear trees, patch windows and roof's, to care for older neighbors and the women helping keep the kids calm, safe and not get into too much trouble. We were stuck for almost 2 weeks in our neighborhood and then we evacuated to Greenville, SC for another month or so until our house was repaired to the point that we could safely be inside. That even and then everything afterwards really taught me at a young age about being prepared for an emergency and having basic skills/know-how to survive. My wife thinks i'm silly, but she was happy when we go on long hikes and I can safely and quickly filter water or start a fire.

9/11 and the Great Recession - I was a freshman in college on 9/11 and like you all, literally watched the world turn on a dime. I didn't know anyone in the towers or on the planes. I knew a few people who lost friends or family but that day had an impact. I had already thought about going into the military but on 9/12 I went to the recruiting center with about 12 other guys to enlist and continued to try and enlist regardless of my disqualification. After college (graduated 2005), I worked in Real Estate and was an early casualty of the Great Recession (anyone remember Countrywide Mortgage?) Through real estate I met the future MrsCCU. After I lost my job, she helped me get a job at a defense contractor working on projects that wouldn't have existed if it weren't for 9/11. The wild spending spree, that stopped with Obama, gave me a safe job with great benefits and set me up for my next big career move. Directly supporting OIF and OEF from 2007-2016 had a tremendous impact on my life that continues today.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17