AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: 2022 Elections Thread

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:09 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:59 am

R's don't want fewer voters. We want ACTUAL voters (which ends up being fewer when you weed out the dead people and illegals and those voting multiple times).
Republicans benefit from low turnout. Jude Wanniski was talking about it 40 years ago.
No, they don’t. They benefit from LEGITIMATE turnout. There is a huge difference.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:51 pm
Winterborn wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:38 pm

And never met a surveillance, defense or spending bill she didn't like.

I have no problem admitting that there are worse out there (many of them Trump lackys). Like I mentioned to 88, will have to see who runs against her.
Harriet Hageman is the Trump backed candidate and her transformation from a Ted "Boobs" Cruz supporter and never-Trumper in 2016 to an ardent Trump supporter is a remarkable feat of mental and moral gymnastics. Of course, anyone that supported Boobs and then Trump might be lacking in scruples.
So she is a perfect fit for Congress. :hide:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:50 am
Pelosi will turn 83 in March of 2023, 2 months into the next term of Congress. So the donks are still going to be stuck with an 83-84 year old Pelosi as their leader in the House (albeit she’ll be the minority leader as opposed to Speaker).. :lol:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:28 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:50 am
Pelosi will turn 83 in March of 2023, 2 months into the next term of Congress. So the donks are still going to be stuck with an 83-84 year old Pelosi as their leader in the House (albeit she’ll be the minority leader as opposed to Speaker).. :lol:
I think she said she would step down from speaker in 2022. See if she reneges on her word. :nod:. See what that causes.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:45 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:28 pm
I think she said she would step down from speaker in 2022. See if she reneges on her word. :nod:. See what that causes.
Step down my ass. She isn’t running for re-election at her age to be a back-bencher..
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:34 pm

Republicans benefit from low turnout. Jude Wanniski was talking about it 40 years ago.
No, they don’t. They benefit from LEGITIMATE turnout. There is a huge difference.
As far as I know, there is no evidence that either of the two major parties benefits more from illegitimate turnout. But if you have something you can link I'll take a look at it.

What Republicans benefit from is low turnout among non Whites. Non Whites tend not to turn out as well as Whites do. When they do turn out at rates comparable to those of Whites, it is not good for Republicans.

I don't think the article at https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/ ... 0-election illustrates that; though I don't think that is its main point.

First notice that 70.9% of Whites turned out in 2020 vs. only 58.4% of non Whites. In the face of that disparity, Democrats won the Presidential Election, won the majority of House elections (though they did lose seats...they got more votes overall), and took control of the Senate (barely). Imagine what would have happened if there had been 70.9% non White turnout instead of 58.4%.

Republicans do not want high turnout among non Whites. That's the main reason they are doing what they are doing with the voting laws while purporting to be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

It's looking like the 2022 elections will be bad for the country and some of the underlying opinion trends underlying that are bad for the country already. Basically, the United States has a critical mass of horribly ignorant people. It is what it is.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:33 pm It's looking like the 2022 elections will be bad for the country and some of the underlying opinion trends underlying that are bad for the country already. Basically, the United States has a critical mass of horribly ignorant people. It is what it is.
Wrong. Its looking like the donks are going to get boat raced. That’s GREAT news for the country, despite what whiny liberals like you think.:nod:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:07 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:51 pm :popcorn:

Because when your policies and rhetoric are becoming so unpopular democracy no longer works.
Look at the way the districts here in CA were drawn and get back to me. :coffee:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:33 pm It's looking like the 2022 elections will be bad for the country and some of the underlying opinion trends underlying that are bad for the country already. Basically, the United States has a critical mass of horribly ignorant people. It is what it is.
Why don’t you just come out of the closet as the “transpartied” Democrat that everyone here knows you are? You’ll be more comfortable with yourself, and your therapy bills will plummet. It will be liberating for you.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Hmmm….define legitimate and show your work. Also illustrate how Republicans do not benefit from lower turnout.

"Now many of our Christians have what I call the 'goo-goo syndrome.' Good government. They want everybody to vote. I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people. They never have been from the beginning of our country, and they are not now. As a matter of fact our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."

- Paul Weyrich
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

All I know right now is that when Democrats are in power pretty much everything goes straight to hell at a much more rapid pace than when Republicans are in power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:17 am

Hmmm….define legitimate and show your work. Also illustrate how Republicans do not benefit from lower turnout.

"Now many of our Christians have what I call the 'goo-goo syndrome.' Good government. They want everybody to vote. I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people. They never have been from the beginning of our country, and they are not now. As a matter of fact our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."

- Paul Weyrich
Define legitimate? Seriously?

And I’ll pass on the 2nd request. YOU made the statement they benefit from lower turnout. YOU illustrate how that’s true.

All Reps ask is that the only people voting are those ALLOWED to vote. Not dead people. Not illegal aliens. Not people who can’t prove who they are. Not people who are incarcerated. Not people voting multiple times. You know….LEGITIMATE.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:11 am
Why don’t you just come out of the closet as the “transpartied” Democrat that everyone here knows you are? You’ll be more comfortable with yourself, and your therapy bills will plummet. It will be liberating for you.
Because i am not a Democrat. i am a conservative Libertarian and I care about this country. The Republican Party is bat shit crazy right now. Voting Republican at this time in history is insane. It's not even a conservative party anymore. It's a populist party devoted to appealing to the most ignorant among us.

As I've said many times: I voted Republican most of my life because it was the lesser of two evils. But the worm has turned. The Republican Party is clearly the greater of two evils right now. And it's not a close call.
Could I ever be a star?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:34 pm
Because i am not a Democrat. i am a conservative Libertarian and I care about this country. The Republican Party is bat shit crazy right now. Voting Republican at this time in history is insane. It's not even a conservative party anymore. It's a populist party devoted to appealing to the most ignorant among us.

As I've said many times: I voted Republican most of my life because it was the lesser of two evils. But the worm has turned. The Republican Party is clearly the greater of two evils right now. And it's not a close call.
You might identify as a conservative Libertarian but the biology of your posts indicate that you are a illiberal pseudo-progressive.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

You’re no conservative, much less a libertarian. You fully supported Build Back Better, mask mandates, Biden’s federal takeover of elections, and myriad other varieties of governmental control over the people. You’re a fraud.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:48 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:17 am

- Paul Weyrich
Define legitimate? Seriously?

And I’ll pass on the 2nd request. YOU made the statement they benefit from lower turnout. YOU illustrate how that’s true.

All Reps ask is that the only people voting are those ALLOWED to vote. Not dead people. Not illegal aliens. Not people who can’t prove who they are. Not people who are incarcerated. Not people voting multiple times. You know….LEGITIMATE.
Again: There is no evidence that there is a problem of any practical significance with illegal voting. Also, there is no evidence that I know of that, to the extent that there are SOME illegal votes, they tend to favor either side. This thing with Republicans constantly erecting this false boogey man of illegal voting as though THAT'S what they have to worry about is absurd. There is no evidence that it was a problem of any practical significance in the 2020 election. There is no evidence that it has EVER been a problem of any practical significance in the modern era. The only instance I can even think of where it was of practical significance involved a REPUBLICAN effort in North Carolina. See https://www.jsonline.com/story/opinion/ ... 828893002/.
The following February, after a four-day hearing, the candidate who won, Republican Mark Harris, said in a stunning testimony that he believed there was enough evidence of fraud that the results should be thrown out and a new election should be called. It’s believed to be the first time in modern political history that a congressional contest was thrown out due to fraud.
There is no problem whereby Democrats benefit from illegal voting. What Republicans are worried about is legal voting among definable groups that tend to vote against them. So they repeatedly raise the false voter fraud boogey man in order to justify making rules to suppress the vote among those groups. It's obvious.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:47 pm

You’re no conservative, much less a libertarian. You fully supported Build Back Better, mask mandates, Biden’s federal takeover of elections, and myriad other varieties of governmental control over the people. You’re a fraud.
I was a Libertarian decades before you became one. Libertarianism means you believe that a person is free to do whatever they want as long as it does not directly harm someone else. So, for example, I am against laws saying adults have to wear seat belts because the only person that can be physically harmed by failure to wear a seat belt is the person who failed to wear a seat belt. Failing to wear a mask during a pandemic potentially causes other people to get the disease. I also don't think being a libertarian means people should be able to discharge their untreated sewage into the ditch in front of their house. Again; That can physically harm other people. That can spread disease.

Libertarianism is not anarchism.

And I don't think I ever said I support Build Back Better. Ordinarily, I would not. However, the top priority right now...the best thing for the country...would be to consign the current Republican Party to the ash heap of history. I think that if Build Back Better had been passed it would have been popular. I think it would have increased the chance of diminishing the Republican Party. So, for that reason, I would not mind if it had passed.

To review positions I have cited in the past: If I had my way there would be no laws saying you couldn't put any drug into your system that you want to. There would be no Drug Enforcement Administration. There would be no such thing as prescription drugs. if someone wanted to sell you a drug and you wanted to buy it, you could buy it. Prostitution would be legal everywhere. There would be no seat belt laws. There would be no motorcycle helmet laws. There would be no laws requiring that you have flotation devices on your boat (unless you had children with you). Businesses could be racist if they wanted to. Employers could be racist in their hiring decisions. That's because I believe businesses have a right to decide who they want to deal with just as customers have the right to decide which businesses they want to deal with. And I believe employers should have the right to hire or not hire whoever they want to hire or not hire for whatever reason they have. I could go on. But you get the picture.

I am indeed a Libertarian. But the Republican Party is not Libertarian. At this point in history, we can expect more liberty, on balance, if the Republican Party is eliminated as a significant factor.
Could I ever be a star?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:06 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:47 pm

I was a Libertarian decades before you became one. Libertarianism means you believe that a person is free to do whatever they want as long as it does not directly harm someone else. So, for example, I am against laws saying adults have to wear seat belts because the only person that can be physically harmed by failure to wear a seat belt is the person who failed to wear a seat belt. Failing to wear a mask during a pandemic potentially causes other people to get the disease. I also don't think being a libertarian means people should be able to discharge their untreated sewage into the ditch in front of their house. Again; That can physically harm other people. That can spread disease.

And I don't think I ever said I support Build Back Better. Ordinarily, I would not. However, the top priority right now...the best thing for the country...would be to consign the current Republican Party to the ash heap of history. I think that if Build Back Better had been passed it would have been popular. I think it would have increased the chance of diminishing the Republican Party. So, for that reason, I would not mind if it had passed.

To review positions I have cited in the past: If I had my way there would be no laws saying you couldn't put any drug into your system that you want to. There would be no Drug Enforcement Administration. There would be no such thing as prescription drugs. if someone wanted to sell you a drug and you wanted to buy it, you could buy it. Prostitution would be legal everywhere. There would be no seat belt laws. There would be no motorcycle helmet laws. There would be no laws requiring that you have flotation devices on your boat (unless you had children with you). Businesses could be racist if they wanted to. Employers could be racist in their hiring decisions. That's because I believe businesses have a right to decide who they want to deal with just as customers have the right to decide which businesses they want to deal with. And I believe employers should have the right to hire or not hire whoever they want to hire or not hire for whatever reason they have. I could go on. But you get the picture.

I am indeed a Libertarian. But the Republican Party is not Libertarian. At this point in history, we can expect more liberty, on balance, if the Republican Party is eliminated as a significant factor.
Don’t forget your inalienable right to kick your dog. And your opposition to minimum ages for consent to sex. And your breathtaking conclusion that Democrat dominance will enhance personal liberty.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:26 am All I know right now is that when Democrats are in power pretty much everything goes straight to hell at a much more rapid pace than when Republicans are in power.

I don't see how you can say that. The "Great Recession" happened when Republicans controlled the White House and the Senate.

When Donald Trump left office, we were coming off a 3.5 percentage point drop in GDP during 2020. It was the biggest drop in 74 years. COVID-19 deaths were averaging over 3,000 per day. The US economy had 2.3 million fewer jobs than it had when Trump took office. The unemployment rate, at 6.4%, was higher than it was when Trump took office (4.7%). We were already IN hell when Biden took office. It's not like things were great.

BTW the most recent 5 US recessions going back to 1981 started when a Republican was President.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:17 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:06 pm

Don’t forget your inalienable right to kick your dog. And your opposition to minimum ages for consent to sex. And your breathtaking conclusion that Democrat dominance will enhance personal liberty.
Yes, I believe you have a right to kick your dog. I never said I had opposition to minimum ages of consent. What I have said is that, biologically, in is natural for a person who is at reproductive developmental stage of one sex to be sexually attracted to a person who is at reproductive developmental stage of another sex. A 24 year old male being sexually attracted to a 15 year old female who displays the characteristics of a reproductive female, for instance, is not unnatural. If someone disagrees with that, they are just in denial of biological reality.

And I can't believe someone smart enough to have been admitted to an Ivy League school can't see that the Republican Party is a threat to the infrastructure that protects our Liberty right now.
Could I ever be a star?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:35 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:17 pm

Yes, I believe you have a right to kick your dog. I never said I had opposition to minimum ages of consent. What I have said is that, biologically, in is natural for a person who is at reproductive developmental stage of one sex to be sexually attracted to a person who is at reproductive developmental stage of another sex. A 24 year old male being sexually attracted to a 15 year old female who displays the characteristics of a reproductive female, for instance, is not unnatural. If someone disagrees with that, they are just in denial of biological reality.

And I can't believe someone smart enough to have been admitted to an Ivy League school can't see that the Republican Party is a threat to the infrastructure that protects our Liberty right now.
Thanks for clearing that up. But tell me how Democrat dominance and manipulation of the country’s “infrastructure” — and I assume you mean this country’s foundational documents and political institutions — will enhance personal liberty. Dumping on Republicans is a dodge. Answer my question, Mr. Libertarian. Have you ever even read Hayek?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:26 pm
CID1990 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:26 am All I know right now is that when Democrats are in power pretty much everything goes straight to hell at a much more rapid pace than when Republicans are in power.

I don't see how you can say that. The "Great Recession" happened when Republicans controlled the White House and the Senate.

When Donald Trump left office, we were coming off a 3.5 percentage point drop in GDP during 2020. It was the biggest drop in 74 years. COVID-19 deaths were averaging over 3,000 per day. The US economy had 2.3 million fewer jobs than it had when Trump took office. The unemployment rate, at 6.4%, was higher than it was when Trump took office (4.7%). We were already IN hell when Biden took office. It's not like things were great.

BTW the most recent 5 US recessions going back to 1981 started when a Republican was President.
Now do the 5 most recent wars. :coffee: :coffee:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:

Of course you don’t see how I can say that.

I pretty much take your responses to anything in this forum as read.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris