Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: 2022 Elections Thread

Post by kalm »

This is why the Republican Party can’t have nice things…
And yet, the Big Lie that Trump won the 2020 election is still spreading. Amy Gardner in the Washington Post reports that 54 out of 87 Republican nominees in the states that were battlegrounds in 2020 are election deniers. Had they held power in 2020, they could have overturned the votes for Biden and given the election to Trump. In the 41 states that have already winnowed their candidates, more than half the Republicans—250 candidates in 469 contests—claim to believe the lie that Trump won in 2020.
https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.c ... tion=share
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Liz Cheney gets the boot today!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:12 am Liz Cheney gets the boot today!
Is that a good sign for the GOP?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:05 am This is why the Republican Party can’t have nice things…
And yet, the Big Lie that Trump won the 2020 election is still spreading. Amy Gardner in the Washington Post reports that 54 out of 87 Republican nominees in the states that were battlegrounds in 2020 are election deniers. Had they held power in 2020, they could have overturned the votes for Biden and given the election to Trump. In the 41 states that have already winnowed their candidates, more than half the Republicans—250 candidates in 469 contests—claim to believe the lie that Trump won in 2020.
How would that have been accomplished? How would the votes be overturned? I'm not arguing that the GOP isn't rife with election deniers (the Dems have their own too, Stacy Abrams still hasn't given up on 2018, and Adam Schiff still claims to have ironclad proof that Trump didn't win in 2016), but by what mechanism would the election have been overturned and Trump returned to power? This is only slightly more rational than the magic gavel idea during the riot. We're not on the precipice here, no matter people claiming democracy and the republic have been in the balance for almost a decade now. Just as election deniers aren't helpful, people claiming we're at the end of time aren't helpful either.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:46 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:12 am Liz Cheney gets the boot today!
Is that a good sign for the GOP?
Depends which GOP you identify with. If it's the Mitt Romney GOPe crowd, then no. If you are GOP and tired of Liz Cheney talking about everything BUT Wyoming in her ads, then yes.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:48 am
kalm wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:05 am This is why the Republican Party can’t have nice things…

How would that have been accomplished? How would the votes be overturned? I'm not arguing that the GOP isn't rife with election deniers (the Dems have their own too, Stacy Abrams still hasn't given up on 2018, and Adam Schiff still claims to have ironclad proof that Trump didn't win in 2016), but by what mechanism would the election have been overturned and Trump returned to power? This is only slightly more rational than the magic gavel idea during the riot. We're not on the precipice here, no matter people claiming democracy and the republic have been in the balance for almost a decade now. Just as election deniers aren't helpful, people claiming we're at the end of time aren't helpful either.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:04 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:48 am

How long did it take you to post all the links to something so stupid? Once the legislature lays out that the means of selecting electors is via the election (i.e. via popular will, i.e. via democracy) they just can't change it willy-nilly once they don't like the result. That's what we have courts for, and that's what we have elections for. Repeat after me - we are not on the precipice. Stop acting like we're about to tip over into a dictatorship, have more faith in American democracy. It's worked for 233 years and there's no evidence we're about to end it anytime soon, despite people on both sides seemingly wanting it or expecting it to have already ended.

And btw, isn't Hartmann the guy who said the 2000 and 2004 elections were stolen via rigged voting machines (mind you, with no evidence of that)? He's like the left's version of Limbaugh.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:23 am
kalm wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:04 am

How long did it take you to post all the links to something so stupid? Once the legislature lays out that the means of selecting electors is via the election (i.e. via popular will, i.e. via democracy) they just can't change it willy-nilly once they don't like the result. That's what we have courts for, and that's what we have elections for. Repeat after me - we are not on the precipice. Stop acting like we're about to tip over into a dictatorship, have more faith in American democracy. It's worked for 233 years and there's no evidence we're about to end it anytime soon, despite people on both sides seemingly wanting it or expecting it to have already ended.

And btw, isn't Hartmann the guy who said the 2000 and 2004 elections were stolen via rigged voting machines (mind you, with no evidence of that)? He's like the left's version of Limbaugh.
No…he’s not even close. :lol:

Attack the source and defend linear history when you can’t refute the point.

I’ll trust Hartmann and Heather Cox Richardson (among many other notables who reacted to Hartmann’s breakdown, thank you.

(Man are you defensive when you’re wrong about things).
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

He’s not wrong though.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:37 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:23 am

No…he’s not even close. :lol:

Attack the source and defend linear history when you can’t refute the point.

I’ll trust Hartmann and Heather Cox Richardson (among many other notables who reacted to Hartmann’s breakdown, thank you.

(Man are you defensive when you’re wrong about things).
So you trust that 2000 and 2004 were stolen elections because of tampering with the electronic records and voting machines? Come on, man, that's crazy stuff. I know it was featured in "Ozarks" but we just spent the past year saying what a crazy guy Trump and his supporters were for believing that and now you say you have rock solid confidence in this guy that our democracy is over (and has been for 20 years) because he says the same stuff but he's not as obnoxious as Trump? Who are you and what have you done with kalmie??
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:02 pm
Baldy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:43 pm
Nothing is being presupposed. Societal evolution has context. Maybe an example will help.

From the dawn of man to the first 1/3 of the 20th century it was commonplace and socially acceptable for men to marry young girls...little girls. It was perfectly legal at the time for 10 year olds or younger (7 in Delaware) to marry. I don't believe lots of 10 year olds were married off, but a 13 or 14 year old marring was customary at the time. There were lots of different legitimate reasons why, but the most common and obvious reason to marry 'em young was so they can start spittin' out youngins to work on the family farm. Most all of our family trees are full of examples of this.
Society has evolved from that practice and men who desire to marry girls that young today are rightly labeled pedophiles.

Were our great greats just pedos or were they simply products of their environment?
That’s a damn good argument which I’ll need to chew on. My smarmy first blush response is were slave owners actually racist or were they just employers…products of their environment?

Supposedly, TJ was bothered by slavery.

I sincerely think your your argument is interesting and it’s worthy of discussion. :thumb:
I guess that depends which slave owners you're referring to. Seems that modern day advocates are trying their best to whitewash history to make slavery a uniquely white European/American phenomenon.

Native Americans enslaved other Native Americans. Were they racist? African tribal leaders sold their own people into slavery. Were they racist too?

Not to mention the Islamic slave trade (which dwarfs anything the Europeans or Americans did) where anyone, regardless of race, who wasn't Muslim could be forced into slavery, etc.

Racism is certainly a by-product of slavery, but it surely isn't the cause.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Baldy wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:41 am

That’s a damn good argument which I’ll need to chew on. My smarmy first blush response is were slave owners actually racist or were they just employers…products of their environment?

I sincerely think your your argument is interesting and it’s worthy of discussion. :thumb:
I guess that depends which slave owners you're referring to. Seems that modern day advocates are trying their best to whitewash history to make slavery a uniquely white European/American phenomenon.

Native Americans enslaved other Native Americans. Were they racist? African tribal leaders sold their own people into slavery. Were they racist too?

Not to mention the Islamic slave trade (which dwarfs anything the Europeans or Americans did) where anyone, regardless of race, who wasn't Muslim could be forced into slavery, etc.

Yep. Humans were chattel to Muslims. Hell, women STILL are.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Why didn't you post the other stupid paranoid, delusional tweets in the thread?
Some Godwin's law here
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy, that is all based on erroneous history written by Europeans. Real history shows that white males of European descent are the root of all evil in the world today.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:06 am

Baldy, that is all based on erroneous history written by Europeans. Real history shows that white males of European descent are the root of all evil in the world today.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:51 am Why didn't you post the other stupid paranoid, delusional tweets in the thread?
Some Godwin's law here
Because some of you might be emotionally harmed by it?

:|
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:24 am
HI54UNI wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:51 am Why didn't you post the other stupid paranoid, delusional tweets in the thread?
Some Godwin's law here

Holy crap. Like I said, that guy's a loon, even if he espouses some of the policies in other areas that you like. It's like BDK posting crap from Limbaugh when Limbaugh was alive.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:35 am

Holy crap. Like I said, that guy's a loon, even if he espouses some of the policies in other areas that you like. It's like BDK posting crap from Limbaugh when Limbaugh was alive.
He’s not at all. He’s just left of your comfort zone. It’s ok.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:47 am

Sure, I consider people who claim elections were stolen in 2000 and 2004, without evidence, to be too left for my comfort zone. It's like how Trump and his followers are too right of the spectrum for my comfort as well. Congrats, you've joined the ranks of the whackos. :rofl:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:18 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:47 am

Sure, I consider people who claim elections were stolen in 2000 and 2004, without evidence, to be too left for my comfort zone. It's like how Trump and his followers are too right of the spectrum for my comfort as well. Congrats, you've joined the ranks of the whackos. :rofl:
He'll be on my Russia team in no time. :lol: Eh, Klamski?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

:tothehand: I rarely posted stuff from Rush. And he wasn't a loon like Kalm's guy.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

With only two counties currently reporting results, Decision Desk calls Wyoming for Hageman. :lol:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Wow. Liz got absolutely draxed. :lol:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Of the 10 conks in the House who voted to impeach Trump, only 2 won their primaries (barely). The other 8 lost primaries (some bigly), or decided not to run again.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:45 pm With only two counties currently reporting results, Decision Desk calls Wyoming for Hageman. :lol:
She doesn’t look at all like I imagined she would.