kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Piece of Shit Alert…D.C.

Post by kalm »

Punk ass ideologue. :nod:
It was pretty jarring earlier this month when the justices of the U.S. Supreme Court took the bench for the first time since the omicron surge over the holidays. All were now wearing masks. All, that is, except Justice Neil Gorsuch. What's more, Justice Sonia Sotomayor was not there at all, choosing instead to participate through a microphone setup in her chambers.

Sotomayor has diabetes, a condition that puts her at high risk for serious illness, or even death, from COVID-19. She has been the only justice to wear a mask on the bench since last fall when, amid a marked decline in COVID-19 cases, the justices resumed in-person arguments for the first time since the onset of the pandemic.

Now, though, the situation had changed with the omicron surge, and according to court sources, Sotomayor did not feel safe in close proximity to people who were unmasked. Chief Justice John Roberts, understanding that, in some form asked the other justices to mask up.

They all did. Except Gorsuch, who, as it happens, sits next to Sotomayor on the bench. His continued refusal since then has also meant that Sotomayor has not attended the justices' weekly conference in person, joining instead by telephone.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Piece of Shit Alert…D.C.

Post by Winterborn »

Throw him in a camp....... :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

I find it interesting that you are calling out Sotomayor for this.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Apparently this story is in dispute from what I hear. Potentially Roberts never asked everyone to mask up and potentially Gorsuch never refused to wear a mask.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:04 pm Now, though, the situation had changed with the omicron surge, and according to court sources, Sotomayor did not feel safe in close proximity to people who were unmasked. Chief Justice John Roberts, understanding that, in some form asked the other justices to mask up.
Oops.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/19/us/p ... masks.html
A few hours later, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. issued his own statement. “I did not request Justice Gorsuch or any other justice to wear a mask on the bench,” he said....

The justices’ statements seemed to be primarily directed at a report by Nina Totenberg of NPR on Tuesday attributed to “court sources.” In it, Ms. Totenberg said that Justice Sotomayor “did not feel safe in close proximity to people who were unmasked.”

“Chief Justice John Roberts, understanding that, in some form asked the other justices to mask up,” the report said.
:lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:18 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:04 pm Now, though, the situation had changed with the omicron surge, and according to court sources, Sotomayor did not feel safe in close proximity to people who were unmasked. Chief Justice John Roberts, understanding that, in some form asked the other justices to mask up.
Oops.

A few hours later, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. issued his own statement. “I did not request Justice Gorsuch or any other justice to wear a mask on the bench,” he said....

The justices’ statements seemed to be primarily directed at a report by Nina Totenberg of NPR on Tuesday attributed to “court sources.” In it, Ms. Totenberg said that Justice Sotomayor “did not feel safe in close proximity to people who were unmasked.”

“Chief Justice John Roberts, understanding that, in some form asked the other justices to mask up,” the report said.
NPR has seen better days. They've even had a rash of departures of long established folks lately. Marketplace is still a good show, but only when Kai is on. Bad reporting like this, and when passed along as the truth by the likes of kalmie, don't do NPR any credit.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Oops.

Did Nina Totenberg just lie.....................again? :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Sotomayor apparently disagrees with the NPR report, unless Gorsuch is such a Svengali that he roped Sotomayor into going along with this statement.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... s-82356089
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:04 pm Punk ass ideologue. :nod:
It was pretty jarring earlier this month when the justices of the U.S. Supreme Court took the bench for the first time since the omicron surge over the holidays. All were now wearing masks. All, that is, except Justice Neil Gorsuch. What's more, Justice Sonia Sotomayor was not there at all, choosing instead to participate through a microphone setup in her chambers.

Sotomayor has diabetes, a condition that puts her at high risk for serious illness, or even death, from COVID-19. She has been the only justice to wear a mask on the bench since last fall when, amid a marked decline in COVID-19 cases, the justices resumed in-person arguments for the first time since the onset of the pandemic.

Now, though, the situation had changed with the omicron surge, and according to court sources, Sotomayor did not feel safe in close proximity to people who were unmasked. Chief Justice John Roberts, understanding that, in some form asked the other justices to mask up.

They all did. Except Gorsuch, who, as it happens, sits next to Sotomayor on the bench. His continued refusal since then has also meant that Sotomayor has not attended the justices' weekly conference in person, joining instead by telephone.

FAKE NEWS.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Oops.

Thanks. :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Oops.

So you're saying that Sotomayor isn't a POS. I think Kalm owes her an apology. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm falling for such a weak ass narrative...again. :rofl:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Totally debunked.

NPR… your government subsidized propaganda outlet

As usual, our resident “thoughtful moderate” trusted NPR implicitly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Covington Catholic much?

On a separate note, thanks for trying. It was fun while it lasted.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz