AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Poll: Crisis/Chaos Preparedness

Post by AZGrizFan »

This post got me thinking….
“CID1990 wrote:Fellas

At this juncture I think we are getting to the point that Putin is realizing that he cannot win this thing regardless of the outcome

So, it is time to talk about tripwires

If Putin decides to use a tactical nuke in Ukraine or possibly a NATO staging area, things will escalate, probably within hours

If you live near a strategic center, I would suggest having your family put together a go bag of essentials to get them (and you) out to a rural area. If grandma lives in a house in the middle of nowhere, I suggest that be your destination. I have mine in NC.

When I say “strategic center” I am not talking about you living beside a Goodyear plant that makes airplane tires… dont flatter yourself. I’m talking about those of us who live in the Delmarva area, near any air force base or major Army fort, any defense companies footprints that actually *make* things, like F-35s or Tomahawk missiles. ANY naval base.

I’m pretty sure Houndawg and klam are safe already but I dont know about the rest of you.

Trust me, this guy is not right in the head. Just look at his actions of the last two weeks. None of it comes as a surprise to me.
What preparatory steps, if any, have y’all taken in the event the bubble DOES go up?
Last edited by AZGrizFan on Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Crisis/Chaos Preparedness

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:40 pm This post got me thinking….

At this juncture I think we are getting to the point that Putin is realizing that he cannot win this thing regardless of the outcome

If Putin decides to use a tactical nuke in Ukraine or possibly a NATO staging area, things will escalate, probably within hours

If you live near a strategic center, I would suggest having your family put together a go bag of essentials to get them (and you) out to a rural area. If grandma lives in a house in the middle of nowhere, I suggest that be your destination. I have mine in NC.

When I say “strategic center” I am not talking about you living beside a Goodyear plant that makes airplane tires… dont flatter yourself. I’m talking about those of us who live in the Delmarva area, near any air force base or major Army fort, any defense companies footprints that actually *make* things, like F-35s or Tomahawk missiles. ANY naval base.

I’m pretty sure Houndawg and klam are safe already but I dont know about the rest of you.

Trust me, this guy is not right in the head. Just look at his actions of the last two weeks. None of it comes as a surprise to me.
What preparatory steps, if any, have y’all taken in the event the bubble DOES go up?
I've practiced the fetal position.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I've been preparing for this for 39 years. (Winterborn sighting at 2:08) Gen Xers and older remember this well. It was on primetime TV when we only had a handful of channels to watch. It was discussed in school before and after as well.

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

I have been doing stretching exercises so I can kiss my ass goodbye.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Poll: Crisis/Chaos Preparedness

Post by AZGrizFan »

I added a poll, smartasses.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

We keep the pantry filled with canned stuff anyway but we put out a larger than usual garden last year even though its just the two of us. Our kids are in FL and NC and their bugout plan is to come back here. I recently overhauled our 1960, EMP-proof, Massey-Ferguson 35 and put on brand new ag-tread tires. No electronics but I'll have to read up on producing bio-diesel. We're probably in about as safe a place as you can find in the country that's worth living in. Usually enough timely rainfall to grow without irrigation - we're on 25 acres, so, should the worst come to pass anybody from here would be welcome. Winter temps seldom get below 0F and snowfall almost always melts away within a couple of days. So lets kick some Russian ass
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:00 pm I've been preparing for this for 39 years. (Winterborn sighting at 2:08) Gen Xers and older remember this well. It was on primetime TV when we only had a handful of channels to watch. It was discussed in school before and after as well.

Looks something like a Massy Harris thought the dash is at the wrong angle. Must be an odd off brand of tractor.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

I have had a bug out bag for close to 20 years. It doubles as my winter survival bag that goes with me when I take extended road trips up here during the winter. Outside of a few common sense stuff, I am not worried.

If it ever goes south, those of us in the northern part of fly over country will still be in flyover country due to the radiation from being bombed. We have too many ICBM's up here and everything from Eastern Montana to Wyoming to central ND is on the Russian list. Live life and just go on about ones business is my motto.

Though I can see why the Cosatal folks would be worried. Glad there are two mountain ranges and a big river between us and them. So good luck.
Last edited by Winterborn on Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

I grew up 6 miles from Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst in NJ
I lived 7 miles from the White House for 4 years.
I lived 28 miles from Norfolk Naval Base for 22 years.
And in between all that, I attended college 4 miles from Norfolk Naval base.

Inland living has this ONE advantage.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I can be out the house with the wife and kid within an hour. I have a safe, back roads route to the cabin. The cabin, some of y'all have seen pictures, has a waterfall so there's plenty of water and there's fish. We have 4 acres which, would be a bitch to clear, but we can clear and raise some crops. We have seeds and, if my FiL can make it there, he's really good at taking seeds from fruits and veggies and growing them. I can filter water w/o using energy (gravity flow) and have back up filters.

We have food to hold us for a while until I venture down the mountain. The population of the 2-3 towns i'm near are under 1,500 and they're all old families that with small farms and/or gardens. They're prepared. There are also a lot vacation houses. I'm not above ransacking the vacation homes and the gas station for any and all supplies. I'll leave Steve Martin's and Cliff Williams' (AC/DC)' homes alone. :mrgreen:

One thing I never took into account is that i'm about 5 miles from a nuclear power generation facility. If that's attacked, i'm fucked no matter how quickly I can get out.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:30 am

We keep the pantry filled with canned stuff anyway but we put out a larger than usual garden last year even though its just the two of us. Our kids are in FL and NC and their bugout plan is to come back here. I recently overhauled our 1960, EMP-proof, Massey-Ferguson 35 and put on brand new ag-tread tires. No electronics but I'll have to read up on producing bio-diesel. We're probably in about as safe a place as you can find in the country that's worth living in. Usually enough timely rainfall to grow without irrigation - we're on 25 acres, so, should the worst come to pass anybody from here would be welcome. Winter temps seldom get below 0F and snowfall almost always melts away within a couple of days. So lets kick some Russian ass
Speaking of EMP, a scene in an old John Travolta movie got me thinking about something as well. In the movie Broken Arrow, right before the nuke weapon is about to go off and create an EMP, Travolta shuts off his Hummer and the EMP takes down the helicopter chasing them. Then he starts the Hummer back up and drives off. Is avoiding the effects of an EMP as simples as ensuring your engine isn’t running? That’s not what I’ve been led to believe…..
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:59 pm

I've practiced the fetal position.
:rofl:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:06 am
houndawg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:30 am

Speaking of EMP, a scene in an old John Travolta movie got me thinking about something as well. In the movie Broken Arrow, right before the nuke weapon is about to go off and create an EMP, Travolta shuts off his Hummer and the EMP takes down the helicopter chasing them. Then he starts the Hummer back up and drives off. Is avoiding the effects of an EMP as simples as ensuring your engine isn’t running? That’s not what I’ve been led to believe…..
I think the problem today is the amount of technology in a car. A good EMP would wipe any onboard computer equipment, rendering the car inoperable. I'm not sure how old his Hummer was in that movie.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:24 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:06 am

I think the problem today is the amount of technology in a car. A good EMP would wipe any onboard computer equipment, rendering the car inoperable. I'm not sure how old his Hummer was in that movie.
I mean, I’ve got two old vehicle (‘69 GTO, ‘79 Bronco) that don’t have any electronics, but if I could still drive a more reliable vehicle to my bug out location that would be preferred….
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Don’t forget a well stocked first aid kit and a pharmacy to loot on your way out of town if you’re like me and take drugs you can’t go without.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:41 am Don’t forget a well stocked first aid kit and a pharmacy to loot on your way out of town if you’re like me and take drugs you can’t go without.
I hope the pharmacies are well labeled - when I'm going through all the shelves and cabinets I can't imagine it'll be as easy as it looks in movies to just find the right medicine. And we're bound not to have electricity if we're in the end times so poor lighting, even from a flashlight, is going to make it difficult to read. Good thing I practiced the fetal position, it may just come to that.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:21 am
kalm wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:41 am Don’t forget a well stocked first aid kit and a pharmacy to loot on your way out of town if you’re like me and take drugs you can’t go without.
I hope the pharmacies are well labeled - when I'm going through all the shelves and cabinets I can't imagine it'll be as easy as it looks in movies to just find the right medicine. And we're bound not to have electricity if we're in the end times so poor lighting, even from a flashlight, is going to make it difficult to read. Good thing I practiced the fetal position, it may just come to that.
Good call on light….and of course batteries.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Nothing. All the crap I compiled after 9/11 has expired.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

We live in a rural area now. I’m not going to worry about this. I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis drills from second grade.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:47 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:21 am

Light sticks are good for your bug out bag. :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:19 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:47 am

This thread is making me feel woefully under-prepared and needing to restock first aid, tool, and survival kits in all my vehicles. Looks like a trip to Oreilly and the hardware store are in order. Dammit!

:mrgreen:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:28 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:19 pm

This thread is making me feel woefully under-prepared and needing to restock first aid, tool, and survival kits in all my vehicles. Looks like a trip to Oreilly and the hardware store are in order. Dammit!

:mrgreen:
I don't even own a gun. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a hard time staying alive for the first 30-45 days when things start getting real.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Got some basics but I have no where to bug out to. Sac is no doubt on the list (Beale and Travis AFB nearby). My fam is in SD (no doubt high on the hit list with North Island and Mira Mar in the area) so trying to make that trek would be pointless. :lol:

My plan has never been long term survival, just enough "stuff" to out live the massive first wave of death (assuming nukes don't take me out) and scrounge/kill to get by after that (think any type of post-apocalyptic movie). Meh.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:49 pm Got some basics but I have no where to bug out to. Sac is no doubt on the list (Beale and Travis AFB nearby). My fam is in SD (no doubt high on the hit list with North Island and Mira Mar in the area) so trying to make that trek would be pointless. :lol:

My plan has never been long term survival, just enough "stuff" to out live the massive first wave of death (assuming nukes don't take me out) and scrounge/kill to get by after that (think any type of post-apocalyptic movie). Meh.
Interesting. My bugout bag includes seed kits for a garden. :coffee: :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:28 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:49 pm Got some basics but I have no where to bug out to. Sac is no doubt on the list (Beale and Travis AFB nearby). My fam is in SD (no doubt high on the hit list with North Island and Mira Mar in the area) so trying to make that trek would be pointless. :lol:

Interesting. My bugout bag includes seed kits for a garden. :coffee: :coffee:
Same. :clap:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17