Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Culture Wars

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:44 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:31 am
Yeah I heard they also banned saying the word ‘Gay’ lol..
Here we go with another weak ass attempt by the KKKarens to say that books are only banned if they're banned throughout the state.
UNI88 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:23 pm Sure if you use a loaded and extremely narrow definition of banned.

Desantis was telling the truth when he said no books have been banned.
FIFY..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:57 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:44 am
Here we go with another weak ass attempt by the KKKarens to say that books are only banned if they're banned throughout the state.
FIFY..
Fake news!

Books were banned in Florida schools based on a law signed by Goodman desantis. He's a liar and he's too much of a coward to admit it. Plus his campaign is starting to circle the drain.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:23 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:57 pm
FIFY..
Fake news!

Books were banned in Florida schools based on a law signed by Goodman desantis. He's a liar and he's too much of a coward to admit it. Plus his campaign is starting to circle the drain.
Banned in schools to banned = illegal immigrants to immigrants. Not the same thing.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:39 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:23 pm
Fake news!

Banned in schools to banned = illegal immigrants to immigrants. Not the same thing.
Sure and it's not a witch hunt because trump isn't a witch ... or is s/he???

You're outdoing yourself here BDKKKaren ....

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:51 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:39 pm

But Trump! Whatever you say there TDS88..
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:21 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:51 pm

But Trump! Whatever you say there TDS88..
That would make you BDSkjmu ... :D
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Jessica Tarlov: I'm uncomfortable with the new history standards. Could you make the same argument about Jews in the Holocaust?

Greg Gutfeld: Well, yes, you could make that argument if you've read Viktor Frankl and about how Jews could've survived the Holocaust if they had had a skill.

Idiots in the White House and MSM: OMG Greg Gutfeld is saying Jews benefitted from the Holocaust!

The Democratic member of the Five is criticizing Florida's history and Gutfeld adds onto her point and illiterate dummies think he's white washing the Holocaust.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:56 pm Jessica Tarlov: I'm uncomfortable with the new history standards. Could you make the same argument about Jews in the Holocaust?

Greg Gutfeld: Well, yes, you could make that argument if you've read Viktor Frankl and about how Jews could've survived the Holocaust if they had had a skill.

Idiots in the White House and MSM: OMG Greg Gutfeld is saying Jews benefitted from the Holocaust!

The Democratic member of the Five is criticizing Florida's history and Gutfeld adds onto her point and illiterate dummies think he's white washing the Holocaust.
I’ve read Frankl. Have you?

Because that’s exactly what Guttfeld is doing. What a fucking dipshit.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:29 pm
Pwns wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:56 pm Jessica Tarlov: I'm uncomfortable with the new history standards. Could you make the same argument about Jews in the Holocaust?

Yes, I have and it is 100% undeniably true. Jews who had skills the Nazis could exploit had a better chance surviving the Holocaust than Jews who didn't have those skills. It's a fact that shouldn't even be up for discussion.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:06 am
kalm wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:29 pm

Yes, I have and it is 100% undeniably true. Jews who had skills the Nazis could exploit had a better chance surviving the Holocaust than Jews who didn't have those skills. It's a fact that shouldn't even be up for discussion.
Yes, Frankl had medical skills which probably helped keep him alive, while he was sorting through rooms of starvation and death where cannibalism had taken place.

But Guttfeld is missing the entire point in defending the obviously indefensible
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Dr. William Allen has already debunked the media and VP gaslighting on the FL history curriculum but of course let’s cling to the “slavery benefitted blacks” lie that the VP is running with.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news ... 461016007/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:46 am Dr. William Allen has already debunked the media and VP gaslighting on the FL history curriculum but of course let’s cling to the “slavery benefitted blacks” lie that the VP is running with.

AKA “conservative political scientist”, a member of the board who created the new curriculum, defends it.

:lol:

Reconcile his defense with this…

“Due to Republican presidential candidate, Gov. Ron DeSantis, signing the "Stop WOKE Act" (CS/HB 7) last year, it prohibited any teaching that could make students feel they bear personal responsibility, guilt, anguish, or "other forms of psychological distress" for actions in the past committed by members of their own race, and blocked instruction that suggested anyone was "either privileged or oppressed" based on race or skin color.“
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:46 am Dr. William Allen has already debunked the media and VP gaslighting on the FL history curriculum but of course let’s cling to the “slavery benefitted blacks” lie that the VP is running with.

AKA “conservative political scientist”, a member of the board who created the new curriculum, defends it.

“Due to Republican presidential candidate, Gov. Ron DeSantis, signing the "Stop WOKE Act" (CS/HB 7) last year, it prohibited any teaching that could make students feel they bear personal responsibility, guilt, anguish, or "other forms of psychological distress" for actions in the past committed by members of their own race, and blocked instruction that suggested anyone was "either privileged or oppressed" based on race or skin color.“
Irrelevant. He clearly states what is said in the curriculum - nowhere does it say that “slaves benefitted from slavery,” which is what the VP has asserted over and over. She’s lying and you are diverting.

I find the law to be unnecessary but if it is so egregious the no gaslighting or misrepresentation should be required… but that’s what you are going to do anyway.

Given that what gets labeled as “conservative” these days would include JFK and Jimmy Carter I’d say your dismissal says more about you than it does about Dr. Allen. Maybe you should give him a listen.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:59 am
kalm wrote:

Irrelevant. He clearly states what is said in the curriculum - nowhere does it say that “slaves benefitted from slavery,” which is what the VP has asserted over and over. She’s lying and you are diverting.

I find the law to be unnecessary but if it is so egregious the no gaslighting or misrepresentation should be required… but that’s what you are going to do anyway.

Given that what gets labeled as “conservative” these days would include JFK and Jimmy Carter I’d say your dismissal says more about you than it does about Dr. Allen. Maybe you should give him a listen.
The "curriculum" states "Instruction includes how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit" which while true doesn't justify slavery and was just a stupid thing to include because illiberals, like MAGAt yahoos, are Karens who are offended at the drop of a hat.

The "curriculum" is just an outline of what they want to be covered. The proof will be in the educational materials that are actually provided to teachers and students. Pardon me if I don't have a lot of faith in Goodman desantis and his DOE to include materials that actually teach the more unpleasant parts of our history. I'm also not sure who is going to create specialized materials just for Florida and at what cost.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:59 am
kalm wrote:

I didn’t drag Harris into this. I don’t really care as she’s not exactly who id turn to as a a thought leader. But you did. So who’s gaslighting? :lol:

Christ the entire scope of Florida GOP politics is gaslighting.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:59 am Irrelevant. He clearly states what is said in the curriculum - nowhere does it say that “slaves benefitted from slavery,” which is what the VP has asserted over and over. She’s lying and you are diverting.

I didn’t drag Harris into this. I don’t really care as she’s not exactly who id turn to as a a thought leader. But you did. So who’s gaslighting? :lol:

I call bullshit on you. The entire hyperventilating blowup over this has been pushed by the VP over the last week. The whole focus of the outrage over this has been the mischaracterization that slaves benefitted from being slaves, and Harris is the cheerleader. If not for that, this whole thing is a non-event.

At least you are sticking to your usual “divert-gaslight-dismiss” blueprint. Points for consistency, I guess.

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:00 am
kalm wrote:

I call bullshit on you. The entire hyperventilating blowup over this has been pushed by the VP over the last week. The whole focus of the outrage over this has been the mischaracterization that slaves benefitted from being slaves, and Harris is the cheerleader. If not for that, this whole thing is a non-event.

At least you are sticking to your usual “divert-gaslight-dismiss” blueprint. Points for consistency, I guess.

Its a diversion, like Hunter Biden.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Helping DeSantis ease white-student discomfort: Top-10 advantages of slavery to slaves
Gov. DeSantis is so busy roaming the country these days badmouthing story-telling drag queens, Bud Light beer cans, and the Disney World monorail, that he seems unprepared to properly defend the kind of history teaching he has unleashed in his home state.
“This information lies by omission and lack of context,” wrote Heather Cox Richardson, an American history professor and 19th Century scholar at Boston College. “The idea of Black Americans who ‘developed skills’ thanks to enslavement, for example, erases at the most basic level that the history of cattle farming, river navigation, rice and indigo cultivation, southern architecture, music, and so on in this country depended on the skills and traditions of African people.”

DeSantis’ rocky response was made worse by the Florida Department of Education, which in a ham-handed attempt to do damage control, sent out a release naming 16 historic figures as blacksmiths, shoemakers, tailors and fishing and industry workers who “developed highly specialized trades” during their days as Black slaves.

But it turned out about half the people listed were never slaves, and some who were slaves had learned their trade when they were not enslaved.
As I stated earlier, "the proof will be in the educational materials that are actually provided to teachers and students" so this could be much ado about nothing but "I don't have a lot of faith in Goodman desantis and his DOE to include materials that actually teach the more unpleasant parts of our history."

If it really isn't a big deal why are the Florida DOE and MAGAt yahoos (they're social/cultural conservatives who would label Reagan a RINO and probably accuse him of having tDS) working so hard to silence any criticism? I'd include Goodman desantis in that but he's clearly in over his head and doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

:coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Culture Wars

Post by UNI88 »

This TikTok Account Proves It’s Not Drag Queens Who Are “Grooming” Kids. It’s Pastors
In the six months since she created her first TikTok video, she has noticed a continuing trend: that very few of the perpetrators who are being arrested for preying on kids are drag queens or trans people, the targets du jour of the right. Instead, Browde found that the individuals who are responsible for the vast majority of reported incidents hail from the very groups pointing the finger at the LGBTQ+ community, from religious leaders to Republican politicians. “They’re the ones who are committing the crimes,” she says. “They’re the ones who are doing this.”

Links to the data can be found here: Who's Making News for Sex Crimes Involving Children?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

kalm wrote:

Or, you know, ya see an article or two regarding a stupid idea that falls on its own.

You may hang on Kamala’s every word but I could really care less. Perhaps your news sources were all over her from the beginning this went public but it was days for the ones I read. In fact most progressives can’t stand her. And yes, I’d hold my nose and vote for her unless the GOP has an unexpected reckoning.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:46 pm

Or, you know, ya see an article or two regarding a stupid idea that falls on its own.

You may hang on Kamala’s every word but I could really care less. Perhaps your news sources were all over her from the beginning this went public but it was days for the ones I read. In fact most progressives can’t stand her. And yes, I’d hold my nose and vote for her unless the GOP has an unexpected reckoning.
And there we have it. Klamala's Col. Nathan R. Jessep moment.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:27 pm This TikTok Account Proves It’s Not Drag Queens Who Are “Grooming” Kids. It’s Pastors
In the six months since she created her first TikTok video, she has noticed a continuing trend: that very few of the perpetrators who are being arrested for preying on kids are drag queens or trans people, the targets du jour of the right. Instead, Browde found that the individuals who are responsible for the vast majority of reported incidents hail from the very groups pointing the finger at the LGBTQ+ community, from religious leaders to Republican politicians. “They’re the ones who are committing the crimes,” she says. “They’re the ones who are doing this.”

Links to the data can be found here: Who's Making News for Sex Crimes Involving Children?
I have a few questions regarding how this data is interpreted because any one person could fall within half a dozen of the categories listed. I click on the article to get some answers, and read this...
The subject is a personal one for Browde, a 73-year-old trans woman who recently relocated from New York to Miami to help combat attacks on LGBTQ+ equality led by Gov. Ron DeSantis.
I close the tab.

88....you should know better. :ohno:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Baldy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:08 pm
I have a few questions regarding how this data is interpreted because any one person could fall within half a dozen of the categories listed. I click on the article to get some answers, and read this...
The subject is a personal one for Browde, a 73-year-old trans woman who recently relocated from New York to Miami to help combat attacks on LGBTQ+ equality led by Gov. Ron DeSantis.
I close the tab.

The point is valid - your kids are vastly more likely to be molested by some church "leader" than by a drag queen.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote:
I close the tab.

So dismiss the message because you don’t like the messenger?

Didn’t you criticize kalm earlier in this thread for doing something similar with the Florida DoE “curriculum”?

Browde makes her information available for inspection rather than trying to weaken Florida’s sunshine laws like desantis has been doing. Browde has more credibility than Goodman desantis or his DoE.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Tennessee Teachers Say 'Hell Nah' To Law Limiting Instruction About Race, Gender & Bias
It’s a lawsuit years in the making. In 2021, Tennessee enacted a law banning teaching “certain concepts related to race and sex.” The law bans lessons that teach that “an individual, by virtue of the individual’s race or sex, is inherently privileged, racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or subconsciously.” And similarly to the new standards in Florida, it also bans any lessons that make an individual feel “discomfort, guilt or anguish” because of their race or sex.” Furthermore, it requires “impartial discussion of controversial aspects of history.”

While all of that might sound fine to some people in principle, in practice, teachers say it’s a mess, especially because the penalty for being found in violation of the law is steep. School districts found in violation risk losing state funding, but what counts as a violation is super murky. I mean, how can you accurately talk about racism in the United States while ensuring that no one ever experiences a moment of guilt?

“The Ban thus deprives Tennessee’s public-school students of the information, ideas, and skills — analytical thinking, reasoned analysis, historical understanding, debate — that are central to any concept of civic education in a democratic system,” the lawsuit read, according to ABC News.