Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Re: Culture Wars

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:05 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:10 am

You did all that reading but didn’t see brother-in-law…

That loser is not my brother
Then you shouldn't say he's your brother. :coffee:
Lol ok

So a brother or brother-in-law all the same thing now.. wow you college boys are so dumb :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:45 am
houndawg wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:05 am

Then you shouldn't say he's your brother. :coffee:
Lol ok

So a brother or brother-in-law all the same thing now.. wow you college boys are so dumb :lol:
Sure, if you'd actually typed brother-in-law.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:43 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:45 am

Lol ok

Sure, if you'd actually typed brother-in-law.
My brother is not the same as my brother in-laws.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Hey Kalm, you can become an attorney in WA. No bar exam needed. You know, since not enough minorities can pass the exam, eh, lets just do away with the exam.
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2024/ ... required-/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:21 am Hey Kalm, you can become an attorney in WA. No bar exam needed. You know, since not enough minorities can pass the exam, eh, lets just do away with the exam.
No thanks. I’ve known too many.

Meh. Doesn’t bother me. The legal profession is like any other…there’s a bunch of book lawyers, too many shitty ones, and if you’re luck a few brilliant ones. If there’s a shortage, this makes sense.

Is it the racial component that you don’t like?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:57 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:21 am Hey Kalm, you can become an attorney in WA. No bar exam needed. You know, since not enough minorities can pass the exam, eh, lets just do away with the exam.

Meh. Doesn’t bother me. The legal profession is like any other…there’s a bunch of book lawyers, too many shitty ones, and if you’re luck a few brilliant ones. If there’s a shortage, this makes sense.

No. Its the lowering of standards.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:00 am
kalm wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:57 am

No. Its the lowering of standards.
Look where the current standards have gotten us. The new requirements are still a hurdle and are offered to people who are doing much of the lawyering already.

The older I get the more I realize that highly skilled professionals are successful based on practical performance rather than testing ability. It’s true for lawyers, doctors, and golf pros.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:30 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:13 am Holy shit NOT the Onion or Babylon Bee. Anyone would have to be insane to not want to flee NYC or to move there in the 1st place.
https://abc7ny.com/amp/squatters-stando ... /14540298/
I’m gonna come clean, my brother is a radical liberal Che T shirt wearing punk liberal and a homosexual… If he was just a homosexual and not a radical liberal, I have no problem with him as long as he doesn’t try anything

It is a common tactic in NYC that guys like him will rent a place and just not pay rent forcing the landlord to go through the eviction process, which is a nightmare in NYC. When the eviction goes through and they post a notice on the door, they will move out and rent another apartment and start the process all over again.

Pathetic that they are rewarding irresponsible morons like this but that all starts with Joey Rotten our national evil clown
Only left wing loons in NY would give squatters ‘rights’ They should never be conaidered tenants. Not after 30 days, not ever.
https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/wo ... urces-say/
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

More Idaho being Idaho.
Boise State University (BSU) professor and Claremont Institute scholar Scott Yenor was the hidden hand behind Action Idaho, a far-right online media platform that featured inflammatory rightwing commentary on politics in that state, documents obtained by the Guardian reveal.

The documents, obtained through public records requests, also show that Yenor sought and received funding for the initiative from wealthy and influential donors like Claremont Institute board chair, Thomas D Klingenstein.

Jen Jackson Quintano in her home in Sandpoint, Idaho on April 23, 2023. Quintano began The Pro-Voice Project in response to the Dobbs v. Jackson U.S. Supreme Court decision which left her feeling powerlessness in a post-Roe world — especially as a mother to a daughter. The Pro-Voice Project in response to the Dobbs decision which left her feeling powerlessness in a post-Roe world — especially as a mother to a daughter. Quintono and her husband also own and operate the Sand Creek Tree Service where they specialize in tree and lumber services in the local community.

‘Idaho’s seen as a war zone’: the lone abortion activist defying militias and the far right

He also attempted to hire a rising conservative writer, Pedro Gonzalez, to lead the initiative. Gonzalez was later embroiled in a controversy about antisemitic remarks he made in online chats in 2019 and 2020. They also show him tapping a network of expertise that overlaps both with the Claremont Institute and the Society for American Civic Renewal (SACR), a secretive fraternal Christian Nationalist organization the Guardian has reported on extensively.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... zMXjzkaEXQ
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

:nod:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:40 pm

:nod:

..can you say "straight ticket"? Iknew you could..
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Culture wars indeed…

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:54 am Culture wars indeed…

The poverty one is BS because it doesn’t account for cost of living.

Now do one by race, and their won’t be much difference blue/red states for 6 of those maps
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Conquered without firing a shot.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

UConn's win over Purdue averages just under 4 million fewer viewers than South Carolina's victory over Iowa
The Huskies’ win Monday night drew just over 14.8 million viewers on TBS compared to the nearly 19 million people who watched South Carolina cap an unbeaten season with a win over Caitlin Clark and the Hawkeyes on Sunday afternoon on ABC.
Womens' sports are gaining in popularity. Title IX has helped to provide a foundation for leveling the playing field and with the help of athletes like Caitlin Clark, women are stepping up and people are taking notice.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Whoopsie! They’re getting smarter.
Hours after Arizona’s supreme court declared on Tuesday that a 160-year-old abortion ban is now enforceable, Republicans in the state took a surprising stance for a party that has historically championed abortion restrictions – they denounced the decision.

“This decision cannot stand,” said Matt Gress, a Republican state representative. “I categorically reject rolling back the clock to a time when slavery was still legal and we could lock up women and doctors because of an abortion.”

People holding abortion rights placards.
Arizona supreme court upholds 1864 law banning almost all abortions.

First passed when Arizona was still a territory, the ban only permits abortions to save a patient’s life and does not have exceptions for rape or incest.

“Today’s Arizona supreme court decision reinstating an Arizona territorial-era ban on all abortions from more than 150 years ago is disappointing to say the least,” said TJ Shope, a Republican state senator.

“I oppose today’s ruling,” added Kari Lake, a Republican running to represent Arizona in the US Senate and a loyalist of Donald Trump. Lake called on the state legislature to “come up with an immediate commonsense solution that Arizonans can support”.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ortion-ban
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:47 am Conquered without firing a shot.
Superstitious mumbo jumbo for the dimwitted. Both of them.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Edit: I see Caribe mentioned this on another thread, but below is the link amd more description. Removes any doubt to the left wing bias of NPR. Lot of examples given: Trump Russia collusion, Hunter laptop was Russiam disinfo, lab leak theory was a hoax/garbage, etc. 2 biggest drivers he listed- 2016 election of Trump and 2020 Floyd killing (hyper focus on race & DEI)..
I’ve Been at NPR for 25 Years. Here’s How We Lost America’s Trust.
Uri Berliner, a veteran at the public radio institution, says the network lost its way when it started telling listeners how to think.

You know the stereotype of the NPR listener: an EV-driving, Wordle-playing, tote bag–carrying coastal elite. It doesn’t precisely describe me, but it’s not far off. I’m Sarah Lawrence–educated, was raised by a lesbian peace activist mother, I drive a Subaru, and Spotify says my listening habits are most similar to people in Berkeley.

I fit the NPR mold. I’ll cop to that.

So when I got a job here 25 years ago, I never looked back. As a senior editor on the business desk where news is always breaking, we’ve covered upheavals in the workplace, supermarket prices, social media, and AI.

It’s true NPR has always had a liberal bent, but during most of my tenure here, an open-minded, curious culture prevailed. We were nerdy, but not knee-jerk, activist, or scolding.

In recent years, however, that has changed. Today, those who listen to NPR or read its coverage online find something different: the distilled worldview of a very small segment of the U.S. population.

If you are conservative, you will read this and say, duh, it’s always been this way.

But it hasn’t.

For decades, since its founding in 1970, a wide swath of America tuned in to NPR for reliable journalism and gorgeous audio pieces with birds singing in the Amazon. Millions came to us for conversations that exposed us to voices around the country and the world radically different from our own—engaging precisely because they were unguarded and unpredictable. No image generated more pride within NPR than the farmer listening to Morning Edition from his or her tractor at sunrise.

Back in 2011, although NPR’s audience tilted a bit to the left, it still bore a resemblance to America at large. Twenty-six percent of listeners described themselves as conservative, 23 percent as middle of the road, and 37 percent as liberal.

By 2023, the picture was completely different: only 11 percent described themselves as very or somewhat conservative, 21 percent as middle of the road, and 67 percent of listeners said they were very or somewhat liberal. We weren’t just losing conservatives; we were also losing moderates and traditional liberals.

An open-minded spirit no longer exists within NPR, and now, predictably, we don’t have an audience that reflects America.

That wouldn’t be a problem for an openly polemical news outlet serving a niche audience. But for NPR, which purports to consider all things, it’s devastating both for its journalism and its business model.

Like many unfortunate things, the rise of advocacy took off with Donald Trump.…

…..Race and identity became paramount in nearly every aspect of the workplace. Journalists were required to ask everyone we interviewed their race, gender, and ethnicity (among other questions), and had to enter it in a centralized tracking system. We were given unconscious bias training sessions. A growing DEI staff offered regular meetings imploring us to “start talking about race.” Monthly dialogues were offered for “women of color” and “men of color.” Nonbinary people of color were included, too…..

….Concerned by the lack of viewpoint diversity, I looked at voter registration for our newsroom. In D.C., where NPR is headquartered and many of us live, I found 87 registered Democrats working in editorial positions and zero Republicans. None.
https://www.thefp.com/p/npr-editor-how- ... icas-trust
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Thanks for posting the link to Berliner's article. You'd hope that that the type of alarm he's sounding would be heard and folks all throughout the world of journalism would hear it and consider what he's saying. However, I get the feeling it's already been ignored and disregarded by the folks that most need to hear it. It comes up a lot here on these boards about how journalism has lost its way, it's just sad to hear that there doesn't appear to be a fix for it anytime soon. Another Trump term and 4 years of resisting him could make the time when journalism improves be even that much more out into the future.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:14 am Thanks for posting the link to Berliner's article. You'd hope that that the type of alarm he's sounding would be heard and folks all throughout the world of journalism would hear it and consider what he's saying. However, I get the feeling it's already been ignored and disregarded by the folks that most need to hear it. It comes up a lot here on these boards about how journalism has lost its way, it's just sad to hear that there doesn't appear to be a fix for it anytime soon. Another Trump term and 4 years of resisting him could make the time when journalism improves be even that much more out into the future.
There is no doubt that NPR and our media sources have lost their way when it comes to reporting unbiased news rather than promoting opinions with some facts. I think it's fair to ask whether this shift caused conservatives to go elsewhere for information or whether conservatives, especially MAQA yahoos, going elsewhere for information contributed to it happening.

Another problem is that the sources that conservatives now use (OAN, Newsmax, etc.) are no less biased than NPR and they believe them as fervently as liberals believe NPR.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:49 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:14 am Thanks for posting the link to Berliner's article. You'd hope that that the type of alarm he's sounding would be heard and folks all throughout the world of journalism would hear it and consider what he's saying. However, I get the feeling it's already been ignored and disregarded by the folks that most need to hear it. It comes up a lot here on these boards about how journalism has lost its way, it's just sad to hear that there doesn't appear to be a fix for it anytime soon. Another Trump term and 4 years of resisting him could make the time when journalism improves be even that much more out into the future.
There is no doubt that NPR and our media sources have lost their way when it comes to reporting unbiased news rather than promoting opinions with some facts. I think it's fair to ask whether this shift caused conservatives to go elsewhere for information or whether conservatives, especially MAQA yahoos, going elsewhere for information contributed to it happening.

Another problem is that the sources that conservatives now use (OAN, Newsmax, etc.) are no less biased than NPR and they believe them as fervently as liberals believe NPR.
Bias lies on both sides and NPR deserves some guilt.

Sinclair Broadcasting owns a massive amount of the media market. iHeart is also huge as far broadcast outlet ownership. Limbaugh and Fox dominated the landscape years.

MSNBC gets rid of hosts who even sniff progressivism.

Corporatism and consolidation play a role.

Alt media and critical thinking are the answers but that’s a heavy lift for the brainwashed and distracted massses. It’s getting worse too as advertisers are pulling their dollars from the smaller outfits. New media is experiencing a bloodbath.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:49 am

Sinclair Broadcasting owns a massive amount of the media market. iHeart is also huge as far broadcast outlet ownership. Limbaugh and Fox dominated the landscape years.

Alt media and critical thinking are the answers but that’s a heavy lift for the brainwashed and distracted massses. It’s getting worse too as advertisers are pulling their dollars from the smaller outfits. New media is experiencing a bloodbath.
Da fuq? :suspicious:
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 pm

Da fuq? :suspicious:
OMG

Lol

Most ridiculous quote of the quarter by Kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:03 am