Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Culture Wars

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:47 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:00 pm
Your 4 different people doesn’t mean squat without knowing where. YUGE difference between say the nice parts of the DFW, Houston & Austin, and just about any small/medium sized city, rural area or near the border. I actually lived in Texas 2000-2002 near the border and it was FAR cheaper than the Harrsionburg area or the Philly are (NJ and PA side) where I’ve lived since.

Cost of living:
-Texas 17th cheapest/34 highest 2024

-Highest 14 states: 11 blue, 2 purple (ME & NH), 1 red (AK)
-Bottom 20: 18 red, 1 blue (IL), 1 purple (MI). Granted I was surprised to see IL as that 1 blue state.
-Bottom 10 all red.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/state ... to-live-in

Clearly anyone with half a brain (not sure if you qualify) can see that, with a couple exceptions, the blue states skew high, and the red states skew low.
Been telling you for years. :coffee:

So, what were your real estate taxes on your home in Texas? I pay $2100 on the house, barn, pool, and 25 acres here. Good roads, good schools... :coffee:

The people I've spoken with are 3 DFWs and one Houston.
I was renting in Texas. Left in 2002 when was a 2 BR for $475 a month.

You happen to live then you happen to live in I assume the least expensive region of the least expensive blue state (still rated higher cost of living than 10 red) and your retirement income isn’t taxed. IL ISN’t one of 9 states with no income tax, but it is 1 of 13 states that doesn’t tax retirement income. I know you’re somewhere in southern IL. What are you 100? miles from the nearest major metro (St Louis is 23rd largest) and 300 something from Chicago? For a fair comparison to another state you’d have to compare your house/land and cost of living to that in a similar geographic area in another state.

Those people in the DFW and Houston are in ginormous metros. Largest population metro areas (per wiki):
1. NYC (includes Newark & Jersey City)
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DFW
5. Houston
6. ATL
7. DC (includes N VA & surburban MD)
8. Philadelphia (includes Camden NJ & Wilmington, DE)

You’d to compare what the cost of living would be for equivalent size house/yard/neighborhood/distance from center city. All local & state taxes (sales, income, property, etc), home and auto insurance, groceries, gas, etc, etc, etc.

These people in the DFW and Houston might think its expensive (and because of their growth they have gotten a lot more expensive than they were), but if they put themselves in the exact same situation in NYC, LA, Chicago, or DC Metros they’d be singing a different tune.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:04 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:57 am

That’s why I asked him about sales and income tax
We have no state income tax but a relatively high sales tax which is regressive.

Still have a high standard of living, quality schools, parks, etc.
WA one of 9 states with no income tax (and the only blue one without it)
IL one of an additional 4 (one of 13) that has an income tax but doesn’t tax retirement income.

Kiplinger 10 most tax friendly states for retirees 2024 (notice 8 red, 2 purple):
1. MS
*2. TN
*3. WY
*4. NV
*5. FL
*6. SD
7. IA
8. PA
*9. AK (still very high cost of living)
*10. TX

*No state income tax period
Other no state income tax states NH (also no sales) and WA.
Other state income tax on retirees is IL.
https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement/60 ... r-retirees

Least tax friendly states to retire in (no particular order):
CA, NY, NJ, CT, MA, RI, VT.
2 surprising ones are MT & UT.
https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/worst-s ... e-to-taxes
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:20 am

So, what were your real estate taxes on your home in Texas? I pay $2100 on the house, barn, pool, and 25 acres here. Good roads, good schools... :coffee:

You happen to live then you happen to live in I assume the least expensive region of the least expensive blue state (still rated higher cost of living than 10 red) and your retirement income isn’t taxed. IL ISN’t one of 9 states with no income tax, but it is 1 of 13 states that doesn’t tax retirement income. I know you’re somewhere in southern IL. What are you 100? miles from the nearest major metro (St Louis is 23rd largest) and 300 something from Chicago? For a fair comparison to another state you’d have to compare your house/land and cost of living to that in a similar geographic area in another state.

Those people in the DFW and Houston are in ginormous metros. Largest population metro areas (per wiki):
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DFW
5. Houston
6. ATL

You’d to compare what the cost of living would be for equivalent size house/yard/neighborhood/distance from center city. All local & state taxes (sales, income, property, etc), home and auto insurance, groceries, gas, etc, etc, etc.

These people in the DFW and Houston might think its expensive (and because of their growth they have gotten a lot more expensive than they were), but if they put themselves in the exact same situation in NYC, LA, Chicago, or DC Metros they’d be singing a different tune.
Almost - they thought it was very expensive, not in absolute terms but for what they got for their money. One of them told me that she and her partner liked Texas well enough but their kids were getting close to school age and school in Texas is a place where you don't get your money's worth.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:20 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:09 am

So people are moving from the tyranny of NY's Gov hochul to the tyranny of Florida's mullah deconkis or Texas' pontius paxton?
Florida over 1 million more people than NY.

2023 state budgets:
Florida: 117 billion
https://www.cityandstatefl.com/policy/2 ... rs/385950/
NY: 229 billion.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/02/nyre ... using.html
Imagine paying all that tax in New Woke City and they won’t even enforce the law…. Horrible and not to mention 170,000 illegals lined up at Costco with the SNAP cards and leaving a pile of trash on every corner …. I’ll be glad to be back in Puerto Rico soon enough
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:32 am

2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DFW
5. Houston
6. ATL

Almost - they thought it was very expensive, not in absolute terms but for what they got for their money. One of them told me that she and her partner liked Texas well enough but their kids were getting close to school age and school in Texas is a place where you don't get your money's worth.
A lesbian who liked TX (who wasn’t living in liberal Austin). Imagine that.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Delete: Already posted
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Delete: already posted.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:59 pm
‘Woke’ people more likely to be unhappy, anxious and depressed, new study suggests

Psychological researchers in Finland have created an assessment to help measure an individual’s commitment to principles of social justice and made some surprising findings across the Finnish population — including a negative correlation between progressive ideals and levels of happiness.

Their findings, published in the Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, suggest other Western nations may see similar patterns among their socially conscious citizens.

Study author Oskari Lahtinen, a senior researcher at the INVEST Research Flagship Centre at the University of Turku, remarked that the “woke” discourse has since worked its way into Finnish discourse.

“This debate was largely data-free and it could thus be considered a worthwhile question to study how prevalent these attitudes are,” he continued. “No reliable and valid instrument existed prior to the study to assess the extent and prevalence of these attitudes in different populations, so I set out to develop one.”

their research trajectory included extensive reading on intersectional feminism, critical race theory, queer theory, and other relevant academic disciplines that inform critical social justice, PsyPost reports.

The pilot survey included 851 adult participants most of whom were associated with the University of Turku. After refining the initial scale, the study was expanded to a more representative national sample of 5,000 participants, distributed via Helsingin Sanomat, Finland’s largest newspaper…..

….“The gender divide was probably most surprising to me,” Lahtinen told PsyPost of Finnish attitudes. “Three out of five women view ‘woke’ ideas positively, but only one out of seven men.”

This was especially true of women in fields such as social sciences, education, and humanities. By contrast, participants who worked in STEM were more likely to critique social justice efforts associated with being woke.

However, the most concerning finding was the relationship between mental health and agreement with the scale. Specifically, researchers found a high prevalence of anxiety and depression in people who believe the statement “If white people have on average a higher income than black people, it is because of racism.” More broadly, they found that those who identified as left-wing were most likely to report lower mental well-being…..
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellne ... r-BB1k3CCc
Didn't CH already post this?

Maybe he'd listen if you gave him some pointers on how post in the logical thread rather than throwing feces at the wall like a primate in a zoo. ;)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:03 pm

Maybe he'd listen if you gave him some pointers on how post in the logical thread rather than throwing feces at the wall like a primate in a zoo. ;)
My bad I missed where he posted it in the Trump vs Everyone thread. Deleted mine.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:25 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:03 pm

Maybe he'd listen if you gave him some pointers on how to post in the logical thread rather than throwing feces at the wall like a primate in a zoo. ;)
My bad I missed where he posted it in the Trump vs Everyone thread. Deleted mine.
I don't have a problem with you posting it here. I think this is where it belongs.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Holy shit NOT the Onion or Babylon Bee. Anyone would have to be insane to not want to flee NYC or to move there in the 1st place.
https://abc7ny.com/amp/squatters-stando ... /14540298/
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:13 am Holy shit NOT the Onion or Babylon Bee. Anyone would have to be insane to not want to flee NYC or to move there in the 1st place.
I’m gonna come clean, my brother is a radical liberal Che T shirt wearing punk liberal and a homosexual… If he was just a homosexual and not a radical liberal, I have no problem with him as long as he doesn’t try anything

It is a common tactic in NYC that guys like him will rent a place and just not pay rent forcing the landlord to go through the eviction process, which is a nightmare in NYC. When the eviction goes through and they post a notice on the door, they will move out and rent another apartment and start the process all over again.

Pathetic that they are rewarding irresponsible morons like this but that all starts with Joey Rotten our national evil clown
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:51 pm
houndawg wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:32 am

She's not lesbian. :coffee:

How do you come up with this shit out of thin air? :?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:30 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:13 am Holy shit NOT the Onion or Babylon Bee. Anyone would have to be insane to not want to flee NYC or to move there in the 1st place.
I’m gonna come clean, my brother is a radical liberal Che T shirt wearing punk liberal and a homosexual… If he was just a homosexual and not a radical liberal, I have no problem with him as long as he doesn’t try anything

It is a common tactic in NYC that guys like him will rent a place and just not pay rent forcing the landlord to go through the eviction process, which is a nightmare in NYC. When the eviction goes through and they post a notice on the door, they will move out and rent another apartment and start the process all over again.

Pathetic that they are rewarding irresponsible morons like this but that all starts with Joey Rotten our national evil clown
....are you "asking for a friend"?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:57 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:51 pm

houndawg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:57 pm she and her partner
‘Partner’ so I assumed lesbian.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:01 pm

....are you "asking for a friend"?
No his boyfriend gave him a way
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

What are you coming clean about? That you’re related to a homosexual or a liberal?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

You said liberal twice, do they cancel out or is it exponential?

As long as he doesn't try anything? With his own brother? :puke:

I would guess that this stuff started long before biden was elected. It probably became really popular during COVID and the AnTiFa/BLM riots which was during trump's presidency ... :kisswink:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:23 pm
houndawg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:57 pm

houndawg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:57 pm she and her partner
I said partner because they weren't married at the time. They said all the business tax breaks like TIF districts get picked up by local homeowners.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:20 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:23 pm

I said partner because they weren't married at the time. They said all the business tax breaks like TIF districts get picked up by local homeowners.
Well then that would be boyfriend. When you say ‘partner’ people assume gay.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:27 pm
houndawg wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:20 pm

Well then that would be boyfriend. When you say ‘partner’ people assume gay.
Some people.

I have two old HS friends, man and woman who have been together unmarried since the 90’s. They’re 53 and kind of past the boyfriend-girlfriend thing. I refer to them as partners.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:31 pm

What are you coming clean about? That you’re related to a homosexual or a liberal?
What are you playing dumb about? I’m beginning to think you might not be playing … :lol:
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:01 pm

I would guess that this stuff started long before biden was elected. It probably became really popular during COVID and the AnTiFa/BLM riots which was during trump's presidency ... :kisswink:
You did all that reading but didn’t see brother-in-law…

That loser is not my brother
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

2. LA
3. Chicago
4. DFW
5. Houston
6. ATL

I don't need to compare anything. I know exactly what it costs to live where I live and it is nowhere near what you think. You don't know what you're talking about. Probably because you get your info from sniveling pencil-neck hyper-ventilators like Tucker Carlson and Lou "Tan Suit" Dobbs.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:10 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:01 pm

You did all that reading but didn’t see brother-in-law…

That loser is not my brother
Then you shouldn't say he's your brother. :coffee: