UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Ron Desantis declares war on Disney

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:33 am
kalm wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:09 am
And the right is less the party of big business which isn’t a bad thing on the surface.

I’m not a fan of either, but did Disney do anything other than disagree with the right on a cultural issue? Did they threaten to withhold political funding?

I would say ultimately that DeSantis is viewed a villain for attacking math books and people’s sexual I.D. I suppose that makes him a hero to the right.
He's viewed as a villain only to hard left Donks and the media. The overwhelming majority of Conks and Independents agree with him.
Linky, linky? I'm not sure an overwhelming majority of Independents agree with him.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:29 am
Baldy wrote: The political left has used the police power of government to continuously go after right leaning companies and organizations for years now. That wasn't enough so I guess they decided to expand the attacks to enlist a super powerful woke corporation like Disney to go after a Conk state government. DeSantis decided to bite back and he's now the villain. :roll:
So that makes it ok for the right to use the police power of government to go after a left leaning company?

I'd rather try and get the government out of abusing their police powers then use "they did it first" as an immature excuse.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I didn't say it was OK, but after years of being attacked by a bully, don't be surprised when the people who've had enough pop the bully in the mouth.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:37 am
So that makes it ok for the right to use the police power of government to go after a left leaning company?

I'd rather try and get the government out of abusing their police powers then use "they did it first" as an immature excuse.
I didn't say it was OK, but after years of being attacked by a bully, don't be surprised when the people who've had enough pop the bully in the mouth.
This immature, tit-for-tat retaliatory bullsh!t does show to me that DeSantis is not the adult in the room.

I want an adult with a functioning brainstem in the White House.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:09 am

And the right is less the party of big business which isn’t a bad thing on the surface.

I’m not a fan of either, but did Disney do anything other than disagree with the right on a cultural issue? Did they threaten to withhold political funding?

I would say ultimately that DeSantis is viewed a villain for attacking math books and people’s sexual I.D. I suppose that makes him a hero to the right.
He's viewed as a villain only to hard left Donks and the media. The overwhelming majority of Conks and Independents agree with him.
“The Danger of American Fascism,” Henry Wallace (1944)

“The obvious types of American fascists are dealt with on the air and in the press. These demagogues and stooges are fronts for others. Dangerous as these people may be, they are not so significant as thousands of other people who have never been mentioned. The really dangerous American fascists are not those who are hooked up directly or indirectlywith the Axis. The FBI has its finger on those. The dangerous American fascist is the man who wants to do in the United States in an American way what Hitler did in Germany in a Prussian way. The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth to the public but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money or more power.

If we define an American fascist as one who in case of conflict puts money and power ahead of human beings, then there are undoubtedly several million fascists in the United States. There are probably several hundred thousand if we narrow the definition to include only those who in their search for money and power are ruthless and deceitful. Most American fascists are enthusiastically supporting the war effort. They are doing this even in those cases where they hope to have profitable connections with German chemical firms after the war ends. They are patriotic in time of war because it is to their interest to be so, but in time of peace they follow power and the dollar wherever they may lead.”
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:44 am

“The obvious types of American fascists are dealt with on the air and in the press. These demagogues and stooges are fronts for others. Dangerous as these people may be, they are not so significant as thousands of other people who have never been mentioned. The really dangerous American fascists are not those who are hooked up directly or indirectlywith the Axis. The FBI has its finger on those. The dangerous American fascist is the man who wants to do in the United States in an American way what Hitler did in Germany in a Prussian way. The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth to the public but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money or more power.

If we define an American fascist as one who in case of conflict puts money and power ahead of human beings, then there are undoubtedly several million fascists in the United States. There are probably several hundred thousand if we narrow the definition to include only those who in their search for money and power are ruthless and deceitful. Most American fascists are enthusiastically supporting the war effort. They are doing this even in those cases where they hope to have profitable connections with German chemical firms after the war ends. They are patriotic in time of war because it is to their interest to be so, but in time of peace they follow power and the dollar wherever they may lead.”
Henry Wallace was a mighty fine Progressive ideologue. :coffee:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:41 am
This immature, tit-for-tat retaliatory bullsh!t does show to me that DeSantis is not the adult in the room.

I'll tell you the same thing I told klam...maybe next time he'll turn the other cheek like a good Christian. Maybe he'll even ask for another :roll:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:55 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:18 am

I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment. I think it's sad that the bill is needed (is it needed?) I surely don't want a teacher telling my 1st grader about sex or gender, or sexual orientation. That's my job - one that i've had to do b/c we have a lesbian family member.

I also wouldn't want the State of South Carolina to go after me because I disagreed with them. I'm not sure it's smart to go after businesses for speaking their minds. Especially when that business is a huge employer in the state AND brings in billions of dollars into the state. It seems petty to me - which is exactly the brand of politics are parties are obsessed with.
The political left has used the police power of government to continuously go after right leaning companies and organizations for years now. That wasn't enough so I guess they decided to expand the attacks to enlist a super powerful woke corporation like Disney to go after a Conk state government. DeSantis decided to bite back and he's now the villain. :roll:
He isn't "biting back." he's engaging in the same abuse of power crap that Republicans complain about. It's tit for tat political theater and nothing more. It's red meat for the base.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

No, but you're rationalizing it.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:54 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:41 am

I'll tell you the same thing I told klam...maybe next time he'll turn the other cheek like a good Christian. Maybe he'll even ask for another :roll:
At least we agree that DeSantis is immature and not a good Christian. :D

I won't be voting for him.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:51 am

Fighting real Nazisism…so yeah. :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:27 am
Is this an admission that Trump wasn't really a Nazi?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Holy understatement of the YEAR, Batman.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:01 am

If it's an understatement, why are people defending DeSantis' abuse of government power?

If we keep using a "they did it first" argument, the abuses of power are going to get worse and worse. Let's call it out and try to put a stop to it now.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:22 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:01 am

If it's an understatement, why are people defending DeSantis' abuse of government power?

If we keep using a "they did it first" argument, the abuses of power are going to get worse and worse. Let's call it out and try to put a stop to it now.
I was talking about the first sentence and your reference to Disney as a “left leaning” company. :suspicious: :suspicious:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:44 am

Narrator: He wasn't.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Since that mostly silly quote is from 1944, when he said "Most American fascists are enthusiastically supporting the war effort." is he implying he and FDR were Nazis too?

He may have a point here though. :lol: :nod:
"His method is to poison the channels of public information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth to the public but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money or more power."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:44 am

He wasn’t. No need to admit anything I didn’t say. :thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:32 pm

Since that mostly silly quote is from 1944, when he said "Most American fascists are enthusiastically supporting the war effort." is he implying he and FDR were Nazis too?

"His method is to poison the channels of public information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth to the public but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money or more power."
You should try reading the entire piece again without trying to look for something to cherry pick. It may make more sense for you. :thumb:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:55 am
Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:55 am
The political left has used the police power of government to continuously go after right leaning companies and organizations for years now. That wasn't enough so I guess they decided to expand the attacks to enlist a super powerful woke corporation like Disney to go after a Conk state government. DeSantis decided to bite back and he's now the villain. :roll:
He isn't "biting back." he's engaging in the same abuse of power crap that Republicans complain about. It's tit for tat political theater and nothing more. It's red meat for the base.
Legally taking away a sweetheart tax deal is abuse of power? :?
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:36 pm
Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:32 pm

You should try reading the entire piece again without trying to look for something to cherry pick. It may make more sense for you. :thumb:
If the NYT, WaPo, and the like can do it, why can't I? :lol:

It's interesting that almost 80 years later he would be describing the modern day Democrat Party almost to a T.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

A) how is it abuse of power
B) how is it political theater. Isn’t ALL politics “political theatre”?
C) Of course it’s “red meat” for the base. Isn’t that a politician’s objective?

Really not a bright post all the way around, Mark.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:36 pm
Petulantly and vindictively taking away a sweetheart tax deal is abuse of power? :?
If we call it what it is then yes, it's an abuse of power.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:56 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:44 am “The Danger of American Fascism,” Henry Wallace (1944)

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:08 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:56 pm

:lol:

Reagan, like many, didn’t understand that fascism is a right wing movement.

Sinclair Lewis was attributed with the “wrapped in a flag carrying a Bible” description but it was never confirmed. From the Sinclair Lewis Society:

“Did Sinclair Lewis say, "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"?

This quote sounds like something Sinclair Lewis might have said or written, but we've never been able to find this exact quote. Here are passages from two novels Lewis wrote that are similar to the quote attributed to him.

From It Can't Happen Here: "But he saw too that in America the struggle was befogged by the fact that the worst Fascists were they who disowned the word 'Fascism' and preached enslavement to Capitalism under the style of Constitutional and Traditional Native American Liberty."

From Gideon Planish: "I just wish people wouldn't quote Lincoln or the Bible, or hang out the flag or the cross, to cover up something that belongs more to the bank-book and the three golden balls."

Seems to fit still today for some.