Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: 2022 SCOTUS rulings

Post by HI54UNI »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:35 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:24 pm

JSO's council of learned citizens running things

Look, we've got a serious problem right now. We have a major political Party that is beholding to a core base of people who are completely separated from reality. They depend on overwhelming support among a group that is around 30% of the population and believes that a series of myths written between something like 4,000 and 1,800 years ago is the inerrant truth. it's the American Taliban.

I wouldn't pull the trigger. But we would indeed be better off if only people with IQ at least one standard deviation above the mean could vote.
Haven't you said your wife is an evangelical Christian? Or is my memory bad?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Look, we've got a serious problem right now. We have a major political Party that is beholding to a core base of people who are completely separated from reality. They depend on overwhelming support among a group that is around 30% of the population and believes that a series of myths written between something like 4,000 and 1,800 years ago is the inerrant truth. it's the American Taliban.
And the other major political party believes that a series of lies written in 1848 just “hasn’t been done right” and are willing to throw away the greatest nation on earth to give Marx another shot. They’re the American Stalin.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

93henfan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:21 pm
houndawg wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:13 pm

Is that a "none"? About what I figured. :coffee:

Nobody is crying today except traitor cunts, like yourself. :coffee:
Thanks, gentlemen. I just got the name for my next band: Shitlib and the Traitor Cunts. Woot!
Love it! :rofl:

modern Cuntry music!
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

tribe_pride wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:33 am
JoltinJoe wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:23 am Chevron deference on the chopping block for today.
Tomorrow
Or maybe Thursday. They are dragging this out
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 pm

And the other major political party believes that a series of lies written in 1848 just “hasn’t been done right” and are willing to throw away the greatest nation on earth to give Marx another shot. They’re the American Stalin.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

kalm wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:31 am
JoltinJoe wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 am

But the Ninth Amendment is not a bottomless cookie jar of non-enumerated rights. As the Court has said, the Ninth Amendment protects a very narrow class of rights, firmly entrenched and identifiable within the nation's traditions, and which existed within the common law at the time the constitution was ratified (marriage, parental rights, and other rights of that nature).
Wouldn’t autonomy over one’s body be included? It’s tough to move past the philosophical debate of when life begins.
No. And certainly not concerning abortion, which was not a right entrenched in our nation and traditions.

But this is a great question, because it addresses a critical point. There is no GENERAL privacy right within the constitution, although certain privacy expectations are protected in specific ways. For example, you are protected in your person and your home from searches and seizures, unless a warrant has been issued.

However, state constitutions ALL have some provision concerning the scope of personal privacy. You hold these rights by virtue of your citizenship of your home state, not as a citizen of the United States.

People have completely lost sight on all the federal constitution and the state constitutions are supposed to work hand in hand. The Founders would have understood that if a woman has a right to an abortion, that right exists under state law.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:43 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 pm

Much better than your tweets. :thumb: :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 am No. And certainly not concerning abortion, which was not a right entrenched in our nation and traditions.

But this is a great question, because it addresses a critical point. There is no GENERAL privacy right within the constitution, although certain privacy expectations are protected in specific ways. For example, you are protected in your person and your home from searches and seizures, unless a warrant has been issued.

However, state constitutions ALL have some provision concerning the scope of personal privacy. You hold these rights by virtue of your citizenship of your home state, not as a citizen of the United States.

People have completely lost sight on all the federal constitution and the state constitutions are supposed to work hand in hand. The Founders would have understood that if a woman has a right to an abortion, that right exists under state law.
You are ahead of the curve. :thumb: :notworthy:
Let’s start with the Politico column from NYU law school official Alicia Bannon, who reveals that states have sovereign governments and constitutions, too:
The Supreme Court’s rulings, based on the U.S. Constitution and the justices’ interpretation of federal law, have long been viewed as the primary bulwark for the rights that Americans enjoy.

But the federal courts are only part of the story. The United States is also governed by 50 state constitutions, each of which can potentially offer greater rights protections than the federal constitution.
First, congratulations on discovering federalism and the Ninth and Tenth Amendments in 2022. Second, the “primary bulwark” for the protection of rights isn’t the Supreme Court, but the Constitution itself. The Roe court arrogated that position by discovering a supposed constitutional right for something not even mentioned in the Constitution, so the confusion is understandable — although maybe less so from the director of a Judiciary Program at NYU Law. Adherence to the Constitution by the judiciary is a constitutional responsibility, so even the “bulwark” efforts by judges still have their basis in the Constitution, not the subordinate offices it creates.
https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2022/06 ... ns-n479625
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 am
kalm wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:31 am

Wouldn’t autonomy over one’s body be included? It’s tough to move past the philosophical debate of when life begins.
No. And certainly not concerning abortion, which was not a right entrenched in our nation and traditions.

That’s a solid explanation. :thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:05 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:28 am Well the market apparently likes the SCOTUS Roe decision..
The markets do not like uncertainty. This decision takes some of that off the board.

What I am curious about is the EPA case decision.
West Virgina wins 6-3! Huge win against the tyranny of the EPA.. :nod:
https://www.businessinsider.com/supreme ... nge-2022-6
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SCOTUS rules for Biden admin 5-4 (not totally along the usual lines) allowing Remain in Mexico to end.

Last year was record illegals crossing.
This year record record.
Now with Remain in Mexico ending, get ready for record record record illegals crossing.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:31 am

The markets do not like uncertainty. This decision takes some of that off the board.

So the Environmental Protection Agency doesn't have the authority to protect the environment???

I guess we can just shut down that whole agency and pocket the money. I'm looking forward to my tax refund.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

bobbythekidd wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:18 pm
So the Environmental Protection Agency doesn't have the authority to protect the environment???

I guess we can just shut down that whole agency and pocket the money. I'm looking forward to my tax refund.
No, but they can’t completely reengineer Americans’ sources of electricity around a radical climate agenda based on the agency’s expansive interpretation of a narrow provision in the Clean Air Act.

A victory for the American consumer.. :nod:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Leftards are losing it over the EPA decison. Ex- Pocahontas approving the Island Is Going To Tip Over level of stupidity.. :lol:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

WAFJ. The court is an embarrassment

Justice Thomas cites debunked claim that Covid vaccines are made with cells from 'aborted children'
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/suprem ... -rcna36156
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:26 pm WAFJ. The court is an embarrassment

Justice Thomas cites debunked claim that Covid vaccines are made with cells from 'aborted children'
Justice Kagan warns parts of East Coast could be 'swallowed by the ocean' in dissent in EPA case

…."If the current rate of emissions continues, children born this year could live to see parts of the Eastern seaboard swallowed by the ocean," Kagan wrote in her dissent….
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/ka ... t-epa-case
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:26 pm WAFJ. The court is an embarrassment

:ohno:

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:33 pm

:ohno:

Jelly having another Russia Russia Russia moment.. :lol:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Now it is back in Congresses hands (where it right should have been all along).

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:40 pm

Justice Kagan warns parts of East Coast could be 'swallowed by the ocean' in dissent in EPA case

…."If the current rate of emissions continues, children born this year could live to see parts of the Eastern seaboard swallowed by the ocean," Kagan wrote in her dissent….
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/ka ... t-epa-case
It will probably happen one day. Just that none of the current generation or the next few will be around to see it.

Could happen sooner if there is a a bit of slippage in the Rampo or East Coast fault line. Or if the New Madrid fault becomes active again.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

They have the authority to act under Congressional guidance (regulations that Congress passes) not a blank check to do whatever they want.

Congress did not give them unilateral authority, which is how the EPA has been acting since the 90's.

And I am all for working on keeping the environment clean and healthy. Just it needs to be evidence based.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas weren’t and aren’t black, according to CBS News..
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:12 pm Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas weren’t and aren’t black, according to CBS News..
If she knew what a woman is, this appointment would be historical. :tiptoe:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:18 pm

They have the authority to act under Congressional guidance (regulations that Congress passes) not a blank check to do whatever they want.

Congress did not give them unilateral authority, which is how the EPA has been acting since the 90's.

And I am all for working on keeping the environment clean and healthy. Just it needs to be evidence based.
Said it many times. Worried we will poison ourselves to death. Not evil, just didn't know how to test what was problematic.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Laws are made by elected lawmakers in Congress, not by unaccountable government bureaucrats.