Political discussions
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Common Sense Gun Control

Post by houndawg »

The death toll in these shootings can be reduced by ordering the BATF to put semi-auto weapons with removable magazines into the same category as machine guns - the owner must be bonded, insured, pass a proctological background check, and cough up for the permit. Mandatory 15 years if you're caught without.

And how about some recognition for the brave chidren out there who lay down their lives on a daily basis to protect second amendment rights of those unfit for militia service?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Re: Common Sense Gun Control

Post by Col Hogan »

Yea, let’s give unelected bureaucrats the power to make law…that’s common sense…

:coffee:
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:10 am Yea, let’s give unelected bureaucrats the power to make law…that’s common sense…

I didn't suggest that BATF make the law. :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

The Buffalo shooting weapon was a legal gun that was illegally modified.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:30 am The Buffalo shooting weapon was a legal gun that was illegally modified.
I don't know how you could prevent that, but I don't think its a good counter-argument to my proposal either.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

houndawg wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:41 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:30 am The Buffalo shooting weapon was a legal gun that was illegally modified.
I don't know how you could prevent that, but I don't think its a good counter-argument to my proposal either.
Fear of jail time does not stop a suicidal mass shooter.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

houndawg wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:29 am
Col Hogan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:10 am Yea, let’s give unelected bureaucrats the power to make law…that’s common sense…

I didn't suggest that BATF make the law. :ohno:
You said
The death toll in these shootings can be reduced by ordering the BATF to put semi-auto weapons with removable magazines into the same category as machine guns
You said nothing about creating new law

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:33 am The death toll in these shootings can be reduced by ordering the BATF to put semi-auto weapons with removable magazines into the same category as machine guns - the owner must be bonded, insured, pass a proctological background check, and cough up for the permit. Mandatory 15 years if you're caught without.
Well, by your definition, the vast majority of guns in America today would meet that definition and fall under the conditions you propose. I don't necessarily have a problem with that but let's be clear that most guns, and most handguns, meet that definition.

Next, what you're proposing (bonding, insurance, and paying for a permit) would mean that gun ownership, legal gun ownership to be specific, would skew dramatically to the affluent. Poor people, or even just ordinary Americans, couldn't afford those costs. I don't necessarily have a problem with that but let's be clear, that path you advocate would mean guns are for the wealthy.

Finally, the mandatory 15 years if you get caught with a gun without the other criteria being met. As Gil pointed out, murderous, suicidal mass shooters aren't concerned with jail time. And you don't even need to be suicidal - the lunatic in Buffalo was like the other one in Charleston - they appear to be fine with life in prison. You would also have to be ready for the charges of racism as, like with the war on drugs, a war on guns would disproportionately impact young, male, Black people. You would have another generation of young Black men lost to the prison system as they get caught with guns as the vast majority of non-suicide-related gun deaths today are in the Black community and cities.

I'm good with universal background checks. I'm good with requiring insurance. And I'm good with requiring a permit. The latter two are going to be the controversial ones. And the first one isn't going to do very much to stop these tragedies from happening. Most mass shootings aren't by repeat offenders who would fail a background check.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:18 am
houndawg wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:33 am The death toll in these shootings can be reduced by ordering the BATF to put semi-auto weapons with removable magazines into the same category as machine guns - the owner must be bonded, insured, pass a proctological background check, and cough up for the permit. Mandatory 15 years if you're caught without.
Well, by your definition, the vast majority of guns in America today would meet that definition and fall under the conditions you propose. I don't necessarily have a problem with that but let's be clear that most guns, and most handguns, meet that definition.

Next, what you're proposing (bonding, insurance, and paying for a permit) would mean that gun ownership, legal gun ownership to be specific, would skew dramatically to the affluent. Poor people, or even just ordinary Americans, couldn't afford those costs. I don't necessarily have a problem with that but let's be clear, that path you advocate would mean guns are for the wealthy.

Finally, the mandatory 15 years if you get caught with a gun without the other criteria being met. As Gil pointed out, murderous, suicidal mass shooters aren't concerned with jail time. And you don't even need to be suicidal - the lunatic in Buffalo was like the other one in Charleston - they appear to be fine with life in prison. You would also have to be ready for the charges of racism as, like with the war on drugs, a war on guns would disproportionately impact young, male, Black people. You would have another generation of young Black men lost to the prison system as they get caught with guns as the vast majority of non-suicide-related gun deaths today are in the Black community and cities.

I'm good with universal background checks. I'm good with requiring insurance. And I'm good with requiring a permit. The latter two are going to be the controversial ones. And the first one isn't going to do very much to stop these tragedies from happening. Most mass shootings aren't by repeat offenders who would fail a background check.
No easy or simple solutions. Pretty tough to measure the mass shootings that won’t happen with increased gun control considering the number already in circulation.

Strengthening security and trying to tone down violent and hate filled rhetoric isn’t going to provide quick results nor will increased mental health awareness. Not that they won’t or shouldn’t be tried.

As I mentioned in the other thread we are a sick country. So many stray cats already out of the bag.

This will very likely all get worse before it gets better. Cultural improvements take many years. Buckle up and ride out the storm.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

What other rConstitutional right requires insurance, a permit to exercise it, etc…

Repeal the Second Amendment, or STFU!!!

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

And how about some recognition for the brave chidren out there who lay down their lives on a daily basis to protect second amendment rights of those unfit for militia service?
There’s this thing called the 2nd Amendment. Guess you haven’t heard of it. 80+ million gun owners/400-500 million privately owmed guns in the US. The majority of us who lost our guns in boating accidents would not comply with such an unconstituional meausre, and the majority of law enforcement wouldn’t attempt to enforce it. :nod:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:19 am

What other rConstitutional right requires insurance, a permit to exercise it, etc…

BINGO!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

There are no Constitutional rights that are without restriction. Free speech isn't absolute. Neither is the right to assemble. And on and on. I know you enjoy your pithy "repeal or STFU" but I'd think you're better than that. The second amendment isn't absolute, we already have laws on the books that ban certain weapons (i.e. fully automatic weapons are banned without having to repeal the second amendment). There are already restrictions on all freedoms, the work comes in the nuance to determine what restrictions are needed and how the implementation of those restrictions work, especially with regard to the consequences of those restrictions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

That argument sort of supports the shooter and not the victim. :coffee:

And from a Republican/Libertarian perspective, shouldn't we want to avoid using a right to infringe on someone elses? I support the 2A but it's beyond tiresome to hear "repeal or STFU." As GF said, we already have limitations on some rights for safety reasons. What makes 2A so damn special?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:47 am

And from a Republican/Libertarian perspective, shouldn't we want to avoid using a right to infringe on someone elses? I support the 2A but it's beyond tiresome to hear "repeal or STFU." As GF said, we already have limitations on some rights for safety reasons. What makes 2A so damn special?
We already have restrictions on 2A as well, so it isn't already special.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Maybe it's time we listen to Thomas Jefferson and start amending our constitution.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:39 am

There are no Constitutional rights that are without restriction. Free speech isn't absolute. Neither is the right to assemble. And on and on. I know you enjoy your pithy "repeal or STFU" but I'd think you're better than that. The second amendment isn't absolute, we already have laws on the books that ban certain weapons (i.e. fully automatic weapons are banned without having to repeal the second amendment). There are already restrictions on all freedoms, the work comes in the nuance to determine what restrictions are needed and how the implementation of those restrictions work, especially with regard to the consequences of those restrictions.
Most of those restrictions are for public speaking, public gatherings. A majority of the guns that are used, are used for hunting or range shooting on private property, while a large portion are in collections that do not leave a private residence. Hunters already buy license, some multiple times per year. Insurance should be up to the individual, and restrictions should remain for public carry options. I don't see how a mass shooter would care about a permit, license or insurance. The government though, would love this other source of income.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:47 am

To GF, automatic weapons are not banned…do a little research…

To both GF, and Ib, you still haven’t asked my major question…which is, name ONE right that requires someone to pay money to exercise? You know, insurance, bonds, etc, require a payment of funds…

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:51 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:47 am That argument sort of supports the shooter and not the victim. :coffee:

To both GF, and Ib, you still haven’t asked my major question…which is, name ONE right that requires someone to pay money to exercise? You know, insurance, bonds, etc, require a payment of funds…
You didn't ask me that question. You usually have to pay a fee to peacefully assemble. You can just go and protest outside a school. But many places, for large scale protests or assemblies, require permits and payment. Due Process also isn't free - court fees at a minimum exist.

But that's a straw man argument, IMO. Your position is basically, we are stuck with an 18th Century law so deal with it. The right to own a firearm isn't above another's right to live.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:47 am That argument sort of supports the shooter and not the victim. :coffee:

Back to the Colonel’s question, what other Amendment requires insurance or a permit to individually exercise? The answer is none.

The basic exercising of any Amendment shouldn’t require insurance or a permit. Now if you want to go beyond a basic individual protest and have a large protest to exercise IA, where public areaa/streets are shut down, then yeah you need a permit. If you want to buy a full auto, crew serve weapon, or a tank, then ok, you shoukd have to have a permit.

As far as non crew serve full auto, I don’t think that should require an NFA tax stamp from BATF (I know it was $200, and the wait time is many months, not sure now). Some wingnut with an MSR like an AR or AK is going to do less damage on full auto (to include burst with an AR) than semi. Full auto going to be way less accurate, and burn through their ammo faster. Botom line the ban on full auto doesn’t make anyone safer.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed May 25, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:56 am

You didn't ask me that question. You usually have to pay a fee to peacefully assemble. You can just go and protest outside a school. But many places, for large scale protests or assemblies, require permits and payment. Due Process also isn't free - court fees at a minimum exist.

But that's a straw man argument, IMO. Your position is basically, we are stuck with an 18th Century law so deal with it. The right to own a firearm isn't above another's right to live.
Is the right to own, say, an automobile, not above the right of another to live…we jut had four people killed by a wrong-way driver in northern Texas…and my own 9 year old son was killed by a car…what about his rights?

And to be accurate, the 2nd Amendment is not a “law”…it is part of the basic foundation of all our laws…So, I’ll put it less blunt…

Repeal the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution, or figure out how to cure this evil without attacking the legal ownership of an inanimate object that never commits evil acts…

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:56 am

Is the right to own, say, an automobile, not above the right of another to live…we jut had four people killed by a wrong-way driver in northern Texas…and my own 9 year old son was killed by a car…what about his rights?

And to be accurate, the 2nd Amendment is not a “law”…it is part of the basic foundation of all our laws…So, I’ll put it less blunt…

Repeal the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution, or figure out how to cure this evil without attacking the legal ownership of an inanimate object that never commits evil acts…

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:57 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 am
Back to the Colonel’s question, what other Amendment requires insurance or a permit to individually exercise? The answer is none.

The basic exercising of any Amendment shouldn’t require insurance or a permit. Now if you want to go beyond a basic individual protest and have a large protest to exercise IA, where public areaa/streets are shut down, then yeah you need a permit. If you want to buy a full auto, crew serve weapon, or a tank, then ok, you shoukd have to have a permit.
Ibanez already provided at least one - assembly.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Now you're just parsing things for arguments sake. Fully automatic weapons, while not banned, are still heavily regulated and there are restrictions over who can have them. And heck, even other weapons already have restrictions on who can have them, so again, the 2A is not absolute, which runs counter to your "repeal or STFU" mantra.

If money is the problem, heck, I'm fine with that, let's have permits that are completely free to the person getting the permit. No 2A problem there, then, correct? Let's have penalties for people who lose their guns (or have them fall into lakes) only for the gun to pop up later in the use of a crime. Again, no 2A problem there - you can have a gun, or as many guns as you want, but if you're an irresponsible owner of one and it ends up in a crime, you bear some responsibility for that crime. If they have to break into your house and break open a safe to get it, sure, no responsibility on your part, but otherwise, take better care of it. It's like how it's a good thing that the parents of that kid who shot up a school in Michigan are facing charges. They had a perfectly fine 2A right to have guns, but if you knowingly don't take care to make sure the gun doesn't end up in a crime or in the hands of someone likely to commit a crime, then there are going to be consequences.

See, plenty of room to discuss things without trying to stifle debate with the weak "repeal or STFU" line.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:09 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:57 am

Ibanez already provided at least one - assembly.
I was rederring to as an individual.