Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Former Republicans and Democrats Form New Political Party

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:03 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:14 pm The working class is focused on and prioritizes things like job security, wages and health care while the woke class is willing to sacrifice those things to fight an ineffective battle against climate change, to blame all society's woes on racism, etc.
..it won't be long until nobody is thinking about anything butclimate change. :coffee:
I agree that climate change is a problem but we aren't ready to walk away from fossil fuels. We don't get sufficient and consistent enough power from wind and solar to replace fossil fuels. Our grid can't handle weather extremes much less the strain of everyone owning an electric car. The manufacture of electric cars isn't exactly green, the mining/waste they require/create is and will continue to be a problem. We need practical solutions that take into account reality rather than pie-in-the-sky, let's just do it and damn the consequences attempts at solutions.

The poor and the working class will suffer the most if we move forward with significant aspects of the Green New Deal.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:15 am
houndawg wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:03 am

..it won't be long until nobody is thinking about anything butclimate change. :coffee:
I agree that climate change is a problem but we aren't ready to walk away from fossil fuels. We don't get sufficient and consistent enough power from wind and solar to replace fossil fuels. Our grid can't handle weather extremes much less the strain of everyone owning an electric car. The manufacture of electric cars isn't exactly green, the mining/waste they require/create is and will continue to be a problem. We need practical solutions that take into account reality rather than pie-in-the-sky, let's just do it and damn the consequences attempts at solutions.

The poor and the working class will suffer the most if we move forward with significant aspects of the Green New Deal.

The poor and the working class will always suffer most regardless of whatever plan is being discussed. :coffee:

Nuclear power has to be part of the dscussion now - since reactors can produce waste that isn't weaponizable the potential exists for smaller decentralized plants; first we need a modernized grid of course, and the waste is still an issue, but the "advantage" of nuclear waste is that it can be constrained to a limited physical space instead of being released into the atmosphere. Throw in decentralized nukes and and we'd be able to put a major dent in oil as a generator of electricity if not eliminate it altogether. Maybe even eliminate the need for wind power and its dilemma of what to do with spent turbine blades. Since we've already passed the tipping point this argument is only academic, but once we get to a point where its so bad that even shareholders profits have to take a backseat we'll be wanting to throw everything we have at the lost cause for appearances sake and the above would be a good way start.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I'd love if a third party could exist, but I just don't see it happening in the US. The structure of government, through all the branches, just naturally gravitates towards two parties, and always two parties (no matter how many times JSO tries to convince us we're about to enter half a century of one party, Democratic rule). And as evidence, we have the past 233 years under the Constitution to prove that. Any third parties are temporary at best, and eventually, and pretty quickly at that, are absorbed by one or both of the two major parties.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:20 am

The poor and the working class will always suffer most regardless of whatever plan is being discussed. :coffee:

Nuclear power has to be part of the dscussion now - since reactors can produce waste that isn't weaponizable the potential exists for smaller decentralized plants; first we need a modernized grid of course, and the waste is still an issue, but the "advantage" of nuclear waste is that it can be constrained to a limited physical space instead of being released into the atmosphere. Throw in decentralized nukes and and we'd be able to put a major dent in oil as a generator of electricity if not eliminate it altogether. Maybe even eliminate the need for wind power and its dilemma of what to do with spent turbine blades. Since we've already passed the tipping point this argument is only academic, but once we get to a point where its so bad that even shareholders profits have to take a backseat we'll be wanting to throw everything we have at the lost cause for appearances sake and the above would be a good way start.
Good luck getting that agenda past the squad.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:13 am

Yep. Once in a while Densedawg says something intelligent. Too bad its his fellow lefties that will prevent this from happening..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:13 am

Like I said its only academic now but environmentalists and the squad will take a back seat to profits every time. For some reason this is a difficult concept for people that think Joe Biden controls the gas pump price
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Very little oil is used to generate electricity. But other than that I agree.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:45 pm

Really? How much oil is used to mine, smelt, mold, ship, install and maintain solar panels? Or windmills? Or all the parts involved in hydroelectric or coal plants? If you’re just talking about the ACTUAL generation portion of the lifecycle, then yeah, maybe. But in reality a shitload of oil/petroleum products are used to generate electricity.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:07 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:45 pm

Really? How much oil is used to mine, smelt, mold, ship, install and maintain solar panels? Or windmills? Or all the parts involved in hydroelectric or coal plants? If you’re just talking about the ACTUAL generation portion of the lifecycle, then yeah, maybe. But in reality a shitload of oil/petroleum products are used to generate electricity.
He said generator of electricity, not supporting the generation of electricity.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Former Illinois Rep, Joe Walsh would fit in nicely here.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:34 am Former Illinois Rep, Joe Walsh would fit in nicely here.
Joe Walsh :rofl: He was my rep for a short time. He's a whacko who was making outrageous comments before trump even ran for POTUS. He talked about a violent insurrection if trump lost in 2016. He may have been insightful enough to sour on trump but that doesn't change who he is.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:00 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:07 pm

He said generator of electricity, not supporting the generation of electricity.
Fine. But in the GENERATION of electricity, we’ll never be able to “eliminate it altogether” as he also surmised.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:17 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:22 am Andrew Yang believes in a basic universal income.

NON STARTER for me.
Come on. Even though its failed everywhere its been tried, they just need to do it right.
It hasn't failed yet in Switzerland.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:14 pm
Come on. Even though its failed everywhere its been tried, they just need to do it right.
Great. Declare our neutrality, disband the military and use that money for social programs.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:35 pm

Great. Decline our role as the world police, occupy only the US with our military and use that money for social programs.
FYP. It sounds like it would be a workable solution that saves tax dollars. I hope the Reps agree to it.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

That's probably because Switzerland doesn't have it.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Great. Declare our neutrality, disband the military and use that money for social programs.
Obviously the logical extension of my comment. :roll:

:jack:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Baldy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:31 am

That's probably because Switzerland doesn't have it.
True
:lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:19 am

Well it's the only way a country can afford it. Can't be the world's policeman AND give away free shit to the lazy people. It's one or the other, pal.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:30 am
houndawg wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:19 am

Well it's the only way a country can afford it. Can't be the world's policeman AND give away free shit to the lazy people. It's one or the other, pal.
false dichotomy. :coffee: