Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Southwest Water Crisis Thread

Post by Pwns »

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... alks-fail/

Thought this warranted its own thread.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: Southwest Water Crisis Thread

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Don't think Phoenix golf courses deserve a drop.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:35 pm Don't think Phoenix golf courses deserve a drop.
I actually agree with this. Nor do the Vegas fountains or southwest lawns/cemeteries.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:35 pm Don't think Phoenix golf courses deserve a drop.
This is why I took up disc golf. Couldn't afford to play at a decent course in Phoenix when I lived there.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:48 pm
This is why I took up disc golf. Couldn't afford to play at a decent course in Phoenix when I lived there.
Did you ever play the disc golf course at Camino del Vista in Scottsdale (right by Dukes)
:thumb:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:52 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:48 pm

Did you ever play the disc golf course at Camino del Vista in Scottsdale (right by Dukes)
Played there almost exclusively, and most recently, twice when I was down visiting a week ago. Lost two discs in the water!

Dukes was awesome because the owner is from Montana and he would always show the Griz games back when you could get unencrypted coordinates. Watched many a game there after 18 holes.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Pwns wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:30 pm https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... alks-fail/

The one time I will say - fucking California.

The Compacts that Arizona signed to get the funding for the Central Arizona Project favored California in time of drought. California has failed to take meaningful drought action, especially for the big monied farmers in the Central Valley.

Arizona sold it's soul to get more water, financed by the Feds. Now it is paying the price. And can't totally blame California - the development/ag interests were so eager to get Colorado River water they were willing to sign away rights to the water in case of drought, knowing they would have already made their money and moved on.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

And, Ducey basically giving away 6 TRILLION gallons of water a year to Saudi Arabia to grow alfalfa to send back to the Middle East doesn't help.

https://azpbs.org/horizon/2022/06/saudi ... n-phoenix/

Arizona is leasing farmland to a Saudi water company, straining aquifers, and threatening future water supply in Phoenix. Fondomonte, a Saudi company, exports the alfalfa to feed its cows in the Middle East. The country has practically exhausted its own underground aquifers there. In Arizona, Fondomonte can pump as much water as it wants at no cost.

Groundwater is unregulated in most rural areas of the state. Fondomonte pays only $25 per acre annually. The State Land Department says the market rate is $50 dollars per acre and it provides a 50% discount because it doesn’t pay for improvements. But the $25 per acre price is about one-sixth of the market price for unimproved farmland with flood irrigation today, according to Charlie Havranek, a Realtor at Southwest Land Associates.

Although there are no records for how much Fondomonte is pumping out of the aquifer, a State Land Department report estimates the company is swallowing as much as 18,000 acre-feet every year – enough water to supply 54,000 single-family homes.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:01 pm And, Ducey basically giving away 6 TRILLION gallons of water a year to Saudi Arabia to grow alfalfa to send back to the Middle East doesn't help.

Arizona is leasing farmland to a Saudi water company, straining aquifers, and threatening future water supply in Phoenix. Fondomonte, a Saudi company, exports the alfalfa to feed its cows in the Middle East. The country has practically exhausted its own underground aquifers there. In Arizona, Fondomonte can pump as much water as it wants at no cost.

Groundwater is unregulated in most rural areas of the state. Fondomonte pays only $25 per acre annually. The State Land Department says the market rate is $50 dollars per acre and it provides a 50% discount because it doesn’t pay for improvements. But the $25 per acre price is about one-sixth of the market price for unimproved farmland with flood irrigation today, according to Charlie Havranek, a Realtor at Southwest Land Associates.

Although there are no records for how much Fondomonte is pumping out of the aquifer, a State Land Department report estimates the company is swallowing as much as 18,000 acre-feet every year – enough water to supply 54,000 single-family homes.
Penny wise and pound foolish. BTW: 54,000 homes is a drop in the bucket. This is merely exacerbating an already troublesome issue.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:09 pm
dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:01 pm And, Ducey basically giving away 6 TRILLION gallons of water a year to Saudi Arabia to grow alfalfa to send back to the Middle East doesn't help.

Penny wise and pound foolish. BTW: 54,000 homes is a drop in the bucket. This is merely exacerbating an already troublesome issue.
Enough to supply about 40% of Scottsdale. And the state for some reason is subsidizing this, leaving millions on the table.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:50 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:09 pm

Enough to supply about 40% of Scottsdale. And the state for some reason is subsidizing this, leaving millions on the table.
yeah, but what good is the money, really?
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:58 pm
Pwns wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:30 pm https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... alks-fail/

The Compacts that Arizona signed to get the funding for the Central Arizona Project favored California in time of drought. California has failed to take meaningful drought action, especially for the big monied farmers in the Central Valley.

Arizona sold it's soul to get more water, financed by the Feds. Now it is paying the price. And can't totally blame California - the development/ag interests were so eager to get Colorado River water they were willing to sign away rights to the water in case of drought, knowing they would have already made their money and moved on.
Yeah, I don't remember the exact numbers but the amount of water that almond growers use is just staggering, and IIRC most of those get sent overseas.

One other thing and some here may not like me saying this, anyone who tells you the answer to this is that people need shower heads with timers on them and toilets that can't flush anything bigger than dog turds is FoS. Residential areas account for something like 6-8 percent of water use. It's pointless to try and squeeze much water usage out of regular people. Any politician putting these ideas forward is trying to give the appearance of doing something rather than making sure their donor pals in Ag and industry use their water more efficiently.
Celebrate Diversity.*
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Little bit of a bunny trail, but water related. Back in high school, we lived right on the edge of this area known as the 'bench'. The bench was where the irrigated farmland started. Anyway, there was this concrete irrigation ditch installed on this downhill section to prevent erosion. The concrete ditch would grow a nice layer of slime on it, so if you wanted, you could actually slide down it on your back, like a water slide, or even try to 'surf' by standing the whole way.

Well, it got really fun when you would board up the top station, let the water level build up and then quickly remove the boards and ride the huge wave down on inner tubes. What we didn't realize, was that farmers were paying for access at certain times of the day and we were messing it all up, not to mention blowing out irrigation levees as well.

The authorities tried to solve the problem by putting parking blocks in the ditch, only to see farm kids use their trucks to remove them. Needless to say, they then placed blocks so large we couldn't remove them.

Farm life.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:48 pm

Yeah, I don't remember the exact numbers but the amount of water that almond growers use is just staggering, and IIRC most of those get sent overseas.

One other thing and some here may not like me saying this, anyone who tells you the answer to this is that people need shower heads with timers on them and toilets that can't flush anything bigger than dog turds is FoS. Residential areas account for something like 6-8 percent of water use. It's pointless to try and squeeze much water usage out of regular people. Any politician putting these ideas forward is trying to give the appearance of doing something rather than making sure their donor pals in Ag and industry use their water more efficiently.
900 homes uses 3-4 times the water that our golf course uses. Rationing needs to happen everywhere including homes, lawns, golf courses, commercial landscaping, etc.

We can have seasonally firm, fast, and dry fairways and poop outdoors.

I’m a problem solver.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ami ... s-84662737
Associated Press
May 12, 2022

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. -- A California coastal panel on Wednesday rejected a long-standing proposal to build a $1.4 billion seawater desalination plant to turn Pacific Ocean water into drinking water as the state grapples with persistent drought that is expected to worsen in coming years with climate change.

Poseidon’s long-running proposal was supported by Gov. Gavin Newsom but faced ardent opposition from environmentalists who said drawing in large amounts of ocean water and releasing salty discharge back into the ocean would kill billions of tiny marine organisms that make up the base of the food chain along a large swath of the coast.
So......salty discharge. The same salt that was removed from the ocean. :suspicious:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:03 am https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ami ... s-84662737
Associated Press
May 12, 2022

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. -- A California coastal panel on Wednesday rejected a long-standing proposal to build a $1.4 billion seawater desalination plant to turn Pacific Ocean water into drinking water as the state grapples with persistent drought that is expected to worsen in coming years with climate change.

Poseidon’s long-running proposal was supported by Gov. Gavin Newsom but faced ardent opposition from environmentalists who said drawing in large amounts of ocean water and releasing salty discharge back into the ocean would kill billions of tiny marine organisms that make up the base of the food chain along a large swath of the coast.
So......salty discharge. The same salt that was removed from the ocean. :suspicious:
Hey, I'm a big fan of RO's and desalination, but there is an issue with the high salt concentration being dumped back in. The ocean's not going to mix all that stuff back in perfectly, let alone immediately, so you're going to have localized areas (as the post says, along a large swath of the ocean) were the salinity is going to be significantly higher than what it would typically be. That's enough of an issue that the fish in that area are going to have a hard time living in it. With that said, environmentalists tend to block these things as a reflex as opposed to seeing how they could make it work. Eventually we're going to have to try.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
Pwns wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:48 pm Yeah, I don't remember the exact numbers but the amount of water that almond growers use is just staggering, and IIRC most of those get sent overseas.

900 homes uses 3-4 times the water that our golf course uses. Rationing needs to happen everywhere including homes, lawns, golf courses, commercial landscaping, etc.

I’m a problem solver.
Golf courses should switch to drought resistant native vegetation and they'd use less. I'm a problem solver too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:07 am
kalm wrote:

I’m a problem solver.
Golf courses should switch to drought resistant native vegetation and they'd use less. I'm a problem solver too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
The industry has been pushing this for years. Not just marginal areas but rye/fescue fairways and greens in areas they work like Gamble Sands and Chambers Bay. You could drive carts across greens at Gamble

Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

kalm wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:01 am

I’m a problem solver.
6-8%.

What is it you want done for residential water use? Do you want to charge people more on their water bills (regressive)?
Celebrate Diversity.*
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Was listening to a radio program the other day, and they talked about how while indoor conservation can help, it is not going to solve the issue.

60% of residential use is outside (on average) for landscaping, etc. Every little bit helps indoors, and certain things like waterless urinals in public spaces can have a decent impact.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:34 am
kalm wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:01 am

I’m a problem solver.
6-8%.

What is it you want done for residential water use? Do you want to charge people more on their water bills (regressive)?
Affordable block rates based on usage and/or credits for converting to hardscaping.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:44 am

Was listening to a radio program the other day, and they talked about how while indoor conservation can help, it is not going to solve the issue.

60% of residential use is outside (on average) for landscaping, etc. Every little bit helps indoors, and certain things like waterless urinals in public spaces can have a decent impact.
Swimming pools?
Xeriscape?
Golf courses?
Cemeteries?
Real grass lawns?
Aquariums?
Water in whisky?

We waste a shitload of water in this country/world. Yeah, some of it ends back up in ground water and such, but it doesn’t change the fact that to USE it we have to DRAW it from the groundwater.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:31 pm
dbackjon wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:44 am

Swimming pools?
Xeriscape?
Golf courses?
Cemeteries?

Real grass lawns?
Aquariums?
Water in whisky?

We waste a shitload of water in this country/world. Yeah, some of it ends back up in ground water and such, but it doesn’t change the fact that to USE it we have to DRAW it from the groundwater.
Maybe there's some way we could combine the two?

Heard its been done before... :mrgreen:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:30 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:31 pm

Swimming pools?
Xeriscape?
Golf courses?
Cemeteries?

Real grass lawns?
Aquariums?
Water in whisky?

Maybe there's some way we could combine the two?

Heard its been done before... :mrgreen:
And people question his intelligence. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: